18. Massachusetts 734
19. McNeese St. 678
20. Liberty 586
21. Weber St. 492
22. Montana St. 401
23. Furman 290
24. Eastern Illinois 222
25. Pennsylvania 166
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Holy Cross (45), Prairie View A&M (29), Chattanooga (26), Northern Arizona (23), Cal Poly (18), Colgate (18), Missouri St. (18), Albany (14), Southeastern Louisiana (12), Texas St. (9), Wofford (8), Georgia Southern (7), Central Arkansas (4), Florida A&M (4), Illinois St. (4), Lafayette (4), Lehigh (4), Southern Utah (4), UC Davis (4), Harvard (3), Southern (3), Youngstown St. (3), Dayton (2), Grambling St. (2), Stony Brook (2)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: Jacksonville St.
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: William & Mary

ToTheLeft
September 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM
This is why preseason polls can ruin things a bit. No reason at all for W and M to be ahead of UMass. None at all.

Other than that it looks alright to me.

Gil Dobie
September 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I agree, W&M should be below the team that defeated them head to head.

Native
September 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM
This is why preseason polls can ruin things a bit. No reason at all for W and M to be ahead of UMass. None at all.

Fantastic win for UMass. The Minutemen were ahead of the tribe on my ballot.

Until we see the results from more teams in head-to-head action, my early season ballots are volatile.

uofmman1122
September 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Wow....Nova got 11 more first place votes than Montana, but still finished 2nd? How many people had them out of the top 5, then? xeyebrowx

ToTheLeft
September 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I would just hope that voters will continue to consider UMass and their win over William and Mary as the season goes on, and things sort themselves out.

ToTheLeft
September 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Wow....Nova got 11 more first place votes than Montana, but still finished 2nd? How many people had them out of the top 5, then? xeyebrowx

I noticed that too. I think a lot of people thought Temple was a game that should have been won. With big wins by other teams, they bumped them down with the loss below JSU, SIU, Montana, etc.

Keenan
September 6th, 2010, 02:20 PM

My ballott...
#9 UMass
#10 William & Mary

tribe_pride
September 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Coming from a Tribe fan, no way W&M should be put above UMass (and I did vote UMass 4 spots ahead of W&M though I could see someone voting W&M 1 spot behind). Maybe if the Tribe plays better in the future and UMass plays worse, then the Tribe should be put ahead but not right now.

OL FU
September 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
From past experience this weekend was always a tough weekend for the poll. Vote tally is usually way down. It will be interesting to see what it looks like next week. Could be some swings as pollsters re-enter the scene

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Im sorry, but voting NDSU #1 based on a pathetic 6-3 win over a pathetic FBS team is well pathetic.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2010, 02:59 PM
34% of the top 20 is CAA!

GoAgs72
September 6th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I had Villanova #1 and Montana #2.
UMass at #9 and W&M #12.

I had Southern Utah at #25 - if they keep up with strong play, I expect others to vote for them eventually. No other Great West team really deserved any votes.

WrenFGun
September 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I actually agree. I was impressed by SUU's week one performance.

I don't have any problem with NDSU or Jacksonville State getting #1 votes. I didn't do it, but they had the best wins and if you're a voter that believes the season can be viewed entirely over one week, it'd be insane not to have NDSU or JSU #1.

What I don't understand is how Montana finished in first with 11 less 1st place votes. Really curious to the voters who had 'Nova outside the top 2.

SalukiJim
September 6th, 2010, 03:21 PM
34% of the top 20 is CAA!

hmm, if my ciphering is correct, 34% of 20 =6.8.xconfusedx

uofmman1122
September 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM
What I don't understand is how Montana finished in first with 11 less 1st place votes. Really curious to the voters who had 'Nova outside the top 2.That's what I don't get. Nova, to me, is still the team to beat in FCS. I really would like to hear the reasoning of putting more than maybe 2 teams ahead of Nova at this point.

IMO, Montana shouldn't be one of them. xcoffeex

Torgo
September 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Sounds about right. James Madison is only .8 of a school. xsmiley_wix

Gil Dobie
September 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I actually agree. I was impressed by SUU's week one performance.

I don't have any problem with NDSU or Jacksonville State getting #1 votes. I didn't do it, but they had the best wins and if you're a voter that believes the season can be viewed entirely over one week, it'd be insane not to have NDSU or JSU #1.

What I don't understand is how Montana finished in first with 11 less 1st place votes. Really curious to the voters who had 'Nova outside the top 2.

I was more impressed with Jacksonville St WIN and U Mass WIN than a Nova LOSS to a MAC team that they beat last year. Is Nova worse than last year or is Temple better? Montana did nothing to improve or lower my opinion of them.

For the record I put NDSU at #20.

GrizzlyEdd
September 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM
That's what I don't get. Nova, to me, is still the team to beat in FCS. I really would like to hear the reasoning of putting more than maybe 2 teams ahead of Nova at this point.

IMO, Montana shouldn't be one of them. xcoffeex

Again I agree. Way to early for Montana to be anywhere close to #1. NOVA played one helluva game. They should still be #1.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Sounds about right. James Madison is only .8 of a school. xsmiley_wix
LOL

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Sorry... 35% :P

Ronbo
September 6th, 2010, 03:39 PM
My, my, as usual the Griz fans think they are smarter than the National Coaches, National Media, etc. I've watched these polls for years and there is always several Griz fans saying we don't deserve to be ranked that high. Pull up your skirts ladies, you take what they deal you and you FIGHT to keep it.xnodxxeyebrowxxtwocentsx I'm sick of the target on the back cowardess thinking.

uofmman1122
September 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM
My, my, as usual the Griz fans think they are smarter than the National Coaches, National Media, etc. I've watched these polls for years and there is always several Griz fans saying we don't deserve to be ranked that high. Pull up your skirts ladies, you take what they deal you and you FIGHT to keep it.xnodxxeyebrowxxtwocentsx I'm sick of the target on the back cowardess thinking.If we played Nova this week, we'd lose. Plain and simple. Sure, if our offense gets it together by the end of the season, I think we have a legit shot at the title again this year, but right now they didn't look anything close to spectacular.

I'm not afraid of being #1. But it certainly seems like we aren't quite deserving of it just yet.

Ronbo
September 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
If we played Nova this week, we'd lose. Plain and simple. Sure, if our offense gets it together by the end of the season, I think we have a legit shot at the title again this year, but right now they didn't look anything close to spectacular.

I'm not afraid of being #1. But it certainly seems like we aren't quite deserving of it just yet.

Really? And this info was pulled from your new crystal ball????xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

uofmman1122
September 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Really? And this info was pulled from your new crystal ball????xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxAll I'm saying is we're not quite there yet.

I'd love for you to be right, and our Griz roll through Poly and EWU, cruising to 400+ yards of offense each game, but I don't see it happening.

Not saying we're going to lose, but I just don't think we're the #1 team right now.

bluehenbillk
September 6th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Will all voters that have Richmond in their top 10 man up & simply type, "I am clueless".

SalukiJim
September 6th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Sorry... 35% :P

it's all good UNH. :D

EmeryZach
September 6th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I have Delaware at #3, so i think they are waaaaay too low at #14.

Devlin is dangerous.

KAUMASS
September 6th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I don't vote in the polls anymore, way to political for this ex-player. Appalachian should be number 1, as they beat a FCS Socon school. Vanilla should be #2, as a loss to an FBS school should drop no more than 2 slots, especially with a close game. Montana & SIU played a D2 school, should not be allowed to move up after a D2 win. Delaware & JMU should have dropped down after playing D2 schools, actually they shouldn't have been in the top 20 to start anyhow with their seasons from last year. Bill/Mary should be below UMass's ranking after losing head to head. We'll have a much better in a month. Early season polls are like kissing your sister, you shouldn't be pitching any tents with that info...

SalukiJim
September 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I don't vote in the polls anymore, way to political for this ex-player. Appalachian should be number 1, as they beat a FCS Socon school. Vanilla should be #2, as a loss to an FBS school should drop no more than 2 slots, especially with a close game. Montana & SIU played a D2 school, should not be allowed to move up after a D2 win. Delaware & JMU should have dropped down after playing D2 schools, actually they shouldn't have been in the top 20 to start anyhow with their seasons from last year. Bill/Mary should be below UMass's ranking after losing head to head. We'll have a much better in a month. Early season polls are like kissing your sister, you shouldn't be pitching any tents with that info...

Couldn't agree more on the D2 thing. I wish we would stop scheduling these blood-donor games. I thought we were past that when we played Hampton opening day a couple of years ago...

OldSouth
September 6th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Well Said

JMad03
September 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
JMU's opponent was not a Division II school. Morehead State is Div I. Nice try, though.

rjpineres
September 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM

No offense intended, but when posting one should have the facts straight. JMU did not play a DII team, as Morehead State is part of the Pioneer Football League. Last time I checked, the PFL is part of FCS football. While I do agree that JMU has much to prove and probably is ranked a little high for what they have shown, they will be credited with a DI win for the win this past weekend should they be in the mix for a playoff spot come the end of the season.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I have Delaware at #3, so i think they are waaaaay too low at #14.

Devlin is dangerous.

I dont have a problem with #14 now, but your right about Devlin...only wish he had a big time receiver to go with his big time talent

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Delaware & JMU should have dropped down after playing D2 schools, actually they shouldn't have been in the top 20 to start anyhow with their seasons from last year.

a 6-5 CAA team is better than half the non-CAA teams that make the playoffs and thats being ultra conservative

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I agree on the sub D-I games. UNI's non-conf is the best it's been in years: Stephen F Austin, Iowa State (winable FBS), and South Dakota.

JMUNJ08
September 7th, 2010, 12:24 AM
So if Miami of Ohio beat Florida this past weekend they should have been ranked ahead of Florida???? Its called any given saturday for a reason. Shhhhtuff happens. I'd be shocked if UMass, who lost ALOT from a .500 club last year who now plays a larger slate of southern CAA schools this year will be better than W&M who many see as a playoff caliber team again.

At year's end if they are both 8-3/7-4 and ranked, sure the head to head makes sense and that is when there is ZERO justification for W&M to be ahead unless they have some MAJOR victories (Nova for example).

UNH Fanboi
September 7th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I'd be shocked if UMass, who lost ALOT from a .500 club last year who now plays a larger slate of southern CAA schools this year will be better than W&M who many see as a playoff caliber team again.

I wouldn't be shocked. They picked up a ton of transfers, including the best running back in the CAA. And W&M had some losses too.

Houndawg
September 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM
a 6-5 CAA team is better than half the non-CAA teams that make the playoffs and that being ultra conservative

Not better than NDSU before they were in the MVC. xnonox

tribefan40
September 7th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I agree, W&M should be below the team that defeated them head to head.

So then Chatty should be #5 right? Because they only lost by one to #4 ASU. At least in the top 10. This is the logic that puts Montana, who beat a lower level team, above Villanova, who barely lost to an FBS school. I'm not gonna sit here and say we should still be up there or not give UMass its due, but its week 2 kids, still lots of football to be played.

caribbeanhen
September 7th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Not better than NDSU before they were in the MVC. xnonox

we'll never know... Vegas would lean with the 6-5 CAA team - whats your take on Delaware vs SDSU?

ToTheLeft
September 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM
William and Mary lost to UMass. They should be below them. It's not some huge upset, it was conceivable for UMass to win. And they did. If anything, it showed that in the preseason polls, people just didn't know about UMass.

If Chatty had beat ASU, I'd expect them to be ahead of the 'neers, as well. But they didn't win, so they don't belong that high. They probably will get more recognition for their close loss, tho.

If head-to-head matchups don't count, then why have a poll? Let's just have a beauty pageant and whichever teams we like most get to go to Frisco.

Houndawg
September 7th, 2010, 07:42 AM
we'll never know... Vegas would lean with the 6-5 CAA team - whats your take on Delaware vs SDSU?

Looks grim for the Jacks, playing your first game on the road against a good team with a game under their belts ain'tg how you make the playoffs..

UNH Fanboi
September 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM
There are several teams in this poll that I think are over or under ranked, but it's silly to get too upset about it at this point. Early season polls inherently involve a lot of extremely subjective distinctions. How do you value last seasons results vs one game from this season, how important is number of returning players and potential, how do you compare a close FBS loss to a DII blowout, etc.? When I submitted my ballot, I felt like I was just throwing darts, and I might be one of the more dilligent voters.

Anyway, the wheat will be separated from the chaff soon enough. I just encourage people to keep an open mind and do their research. I hate voters who basically just take the preseason poll, bump down the losers, and bump up the winners in lock step. I currently have Nova as my #1, but I will not hesitate to move them down if they play like **** while still managing to win.

89Hen
September 7th, 2010, 07:52 AM
6. Jacksonville St. (6)

Nice to see the JaxSt homers are still alive. xlolx xsmhx

89Hen
September 7th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Montana & SIU played a D2 school, should not be allowed to move up after a D2 win. Delaware & JMU should have dropped down after playing D2 schools
I agree that you shouldn't move up with D2's, but why should UD move down, and JMU played a I-AA, not a D2.

JaxSinfonian
September 7th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Nice to see the JaxSt homers are still alive. xlolx xsmhx

I didn't vote Jax State No. 1. I noticed a number of fans of other school who post saying they were going to put the Cocks on top of their polls, but I think most JSU fans understand the team just took a big step in a LONG walk. Besides, who wants to be No. 1 this early in the season? Nowhere to go but down. (I'll wager all six people who JSU first were Montana fans.)

caribbeanhen
September 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Looks grim for the Jacks, playing your first game on the road against a good team with a game under their belts ain'tg how you make the playoffs..

Hmmm, well I can tell you Delaware fans expect a great ball game.... SDSU might be eager to get the bitter taste of blowing it against Montana - they sure looked good in the first half

89Hen
September 7th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I didn't vote Jax State No. 1. I noticed a number of fans of other school who post saying they were going to put the Cocks on top of their polls, but I think most JSU fans understand the team just took a big step in a LONG walk. Besides, who wants to be No. 1 this early in the season? Nowhere to go but down. (I'll wager all six people who JSU first were Montana fans.)
I'd take that wager if I knew if there were other JSU fans still voting. When I used to be the poll moderator, I can tell you that some of your fellow Gamecock fans were amongst the biggest homers voting.

JMUNJ08
September 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I agree that you shouldn't move up with D2's, but why should UD move down, and JMU played a I-AA, not a D2.

I thought we played a FCS team xoopsx

I'm still speechless that Montana beat their sister this weekend and people think that carries more weight to move up on the heels of a Villanova loss to an FBS team in the 4th quarter

Fear the Bird
September 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm still speechless that Montana beat their sister this weekend and people think that carries more weight to move up on the heels of a Villanova loss to an FBS team in the 4th quarter

I couldn't agree more - it's absolutely ridiculous. Just because Nova beat Temple last year and the upper echelon FCS teams have had recent success against FBS teams doesn't mean it should be expected everytime out and be grounds for disappointment. Nova still played a solid game against a very much improved Temple squad.

100%GRIZ
September 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I agree that Villanova should still be in the #1 spot! Too many are looking at a win for MT and a loss for Nova! But the poll will equal itself out in the end!

GaSouthern
September 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
GSU does not belong in the recieving votes category IMO... If we beat Navy we should be in the 20-25 ranks next week though.

Fear the Bird
September 7th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Interesting to see the AP FBS poll just as volatile if not more - Pitt and UNC drop out after close losses to ranked teams? Yikes

superman7515
September 7th, 2010, 02:53 PM

I'm hoping for a delayed flight, lots of turbulence, plenty of jet lag, and maybe the flu... Then I'll feel comfortable about this game.

bkrownd
September 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM
William and Mary lost to UMass. They should be below them. It's not some huge upset, it was conceivable for UMass to win. And they did. If anything, it showed that in the preseason polls, people just didn't know about UMass.

You gotta wonder who the n00bs are who place the losers so high above the winners. Get a clue! xliarx

NHwildEcat
September 7th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Interesting to see the AP FBS poll just as volatile if not more - Pitt and UNC drop out after close losses to ranked teams? Yikes

Utah wasn't ranked...they are now though...

GeauxLions94
September 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I wanna know who's the other person who voted Appy No. 1?