PDA

View Full Version : THE Option is back at Georgia Southern!!

mrklean
September 4th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Thats all I wanted to say!xhurrayx

We crushed a bad team like we used to do. can't wait to see how we do against a good team!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 4th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Let me go ahead and say it....it would be a big mistake to overlook GSU this year.

I don't give a **** if it's Savannah State...540 yards and 48 points is impressive for our first day running this offense. Our mechanics and execution were quite good, and while Jaybo Shaw won't run circles around defense like some of GSU's recent option QBs, he makes very good reads and is a real leader.

On top of that, our defense is stronger, faster, and more fundamentally sound than last year. And our DL looks especially good.

7th place finish in the SoCon, my a**. Late-season I think we'll be quite good.

Baldy
September 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Let me go ahead and say it....it would be a big mistake to overlook GSU this year.

I don't give a **** if it's Savannah State...540 yards and 48 points is impressive for our first day running this offense. Our mechanics and execution were quite good, and while Jaybo Shaw won't run circles around defense like some of GSU's recent option QBs, he makes very good reads and is a real leader.

On top of that, our defense is stronger, faster, and more fundamentally sound than last year. And our DL looks especially good.

7th place finish in the SoCon, my a**. Late-season I think we'll be quite good.

Definitely didn't look like a team playing an entirely new offense and defense, especially when you consider how bad GSU looked the last 2 times we changed the offense (against CCSU in 06 and West GA in 2007). We still have a loooong way to go, but the future is very bright.

We played A LOT of true freshmen tonight and I can't praise their outstanding play enough. Beware SoCon, remember the name Robert Brown. This kid is going to be a superstar. xbowx

GaSouthern
September 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM
That was the first time we've blown anyone out since the option left. Great game! R. Brown is going to be a good back!

OL FU
September 5th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'm happy for you. Especially happy that the option is back. It never should have left.

But, just to be the wet towel, Savannah St has been close to the worse team in FCS for the last god knows how many years.

But I concur with MrKlean, good to see it back and good to see you win big

atlfcsfan
September 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Yeah a blowout is a blowout......but it was Savannah State, so cant put much stock in that.

Eaglesrus
September 5th, 2010, 10:56 AM
But, just to be the wet towel, Savannah St has been close to the worse team in FCS for the last god knows how many years.

Uh, due to our proximity most of us are well aware of that, quite possibly more so than anybody outside of SSU themselves. However, it was good to see our guys execute the offense so well, what with it being the first game experience with it for all but one player. Gotta believe it will only get better.

Thanks for the well wishes in any case.

Baldy
September 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I'm happy for you. Especially happy that the option is back. It never should have left.

But I concur with MrKlean, good to see it back and good to see you win big

Well, they do have a Fermin as the head coach. xlolx xsmiley_wix

Seriously, they are not a very good football team, but that really isn't the point. The point is it was a real time game under the lights in front of 20,000+ fans, and for the most part we played a very fundamentally sound game. No fumbles in the Center - QB exchange, no fumbles handing the ball off, no bad pitches, no dropped passes. We did commit a few boneheaded penalties and missed a ton of blocks but those problems are ones that can be fixed.

Talent is lacking at SSU, but I was surprised and impressed how well coached they were. If Savannah State's administration has any sense (which has been proven they don't) they need to go ahead and take the interim name off and name Dixon the head coach.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Seriously, they are not a very good football team, but that really isn't the point. The point is it was a real time game under the lights in front of 20,000+ fans, and for the most part we played a very fundamentally sound game. No fumbles in the Center - QB exchange, no fumbles handing the ball off, no bad pitches, no dropped passes. We did commit a few boneheaded penalties and missed a ton of blocks but those problems are ones that can be fixed.

Talent is lacking at SSU, but I was surprised and impressed how well coached they were. If Savannah State's administration has any sense (which has been proven they don't) they need to go ahead and take the interim name off and name Dixon the head coach.

Right. Those things are important. A cleanly played win is a lot better than a sloppy win.

Heck, I would have loved Furman to have even played a high school team this weekend. We need the game under our belt before a ranked team shows up next Saturday. Good win.

Eagle22
September 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Definitely didn't look like a team playing an entirely new offense and defense, especially when you consider how bad GSU looked the last 2 times we changed the offense (against CCSU in 06 and West GA in 2007). We still have a loooong way to go, but the future is very bright.

We played A LOT of true freshmen tonight and I can't praise their outstanding play enough. Beware SoCon, remember the name Robert Brown. This kid is going to be a superstar. xbowx

Brown is going to be a good one. Got a shot of his first of many TD's to come:

http://www.gsufans.com/images/rbrown.jpg

Coming to a stadium near you !

mrklean
September 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
GREAT WIN EAGLES!!!!
GATA

seantaylor
September 5th, 2010, 06:35 PM
The freshman that I'm most impressed with is defensive end Josh Gebhardt. Dude is a monster, and along with Brent Russell, will light up the sack totals this season.

Baldy
September 5th, 2010, 06:45 PM
The freshman that I'm most impressed with is defensive end Josh Gebhardt. Dude is a monster, and along with Brent Russell, will light up the sack totals this season.Gebhardt will get his chances, but as for now, he'll be doing his damage from off the bench.

Go...gate
September 5th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Congratulations to you guys and keep up the good work!

seantaylor
September 5th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Gebhardt will get his chances, but as for now, he'll be doing his damage from off the bench.

Not for long. Seemed as he got as many snaps as Douglas, and was far more productive. He couldn't be blocked by one man.

Baldy
September 5th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Not for long. Seemed as he got as many snaps as Douglas, and was far more productive. He couldn't be blocked by one man.
He did a great job. Awesome first game for a true freshman. He got much neded PT in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

OL FU
September 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Uh, due to our proximity most of us are well aware of that, quite possibly more so than anybody outside of SSU themselves. However, it was good to see our guys execute the offense so well, what with it being the first game experience with it for all but one player. Gotta believe it will only get better.

Thanks for the well wishes in any case.

Baldy and us, I suppose I should have waited for some more realistic fans instead of responding to pwnsxnodx Although pwns isn't that unrealistic. He is just excitedxsmiley_wix

You know its funny, I have kind of a love hate relationship with GSU. Nothing thrills me more to see you lose, but at the same time I am rooting for you to get better especially with the option. I don't understand, that is just the way it is.xeyebrowx

OL FU
September 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM

I think Julius would be a good one. Wish he could find a spot elsewhere as you said the administration make him the coach and give him some backing.