PDA

View Full Version : FBS Players Discuss Playoffs vs Bowl Games

AppMan
August 11th, 2010, 08:52 PM
We can debate the issue until the cows come home, but here is what the players have to say.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5452896

GreatAppSt
August 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Most of the no responders are clueless.

Retro
August 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
If they clearly asked all the players, if they could participate in a playoff system that including the bowl system and the teams not selected for the playoff field would still go to a non playoff bowl game, you'd probably get a 95% yes! The other 5% would be the idiots who are to dumb to comprehend anyway..

What i get so irritated at, is when i hear these so called experts like Herbstreit on ESPN dismiss anything but the current systems or a +1 playoff. They all continue to use the same argument about the bowls, but don't think that those same bowls be incorporated into a playoff and you wouldn't have such a long layover between the end of the season and what is now the BCS bowls for the tops teams...

Until the NCAA has the balls to actually take on the BCS and lay down the law, it won't happen.. It's all about power, control and money. Those who run the BCS and those handful of teams that benefit from it, won't pursue it unless they are on the outside looking in.. Most of the conf and school leaders won't either, because they get that big fat BCS payday every year! It's sad, but at least we have a real playoff in the FCS, if we could only get more money from private sponsorships for playoffs themselves..

PhoenixPhan06
August 12th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I posted this in the FCS Respect thread and just found this one so I'll post it here also.

So many of you have probly seen the ESPN feature by now on the FCS playoff system vs the current FBS bowl system and the 3 ridiculous questions they offer in their poll. The worst of which goes something like this:

"Would you rather in your college career play in three bowl games or in one playoff trip?" Why are they so blatenly disrespecting the FCS playoff system? Of course anyone would rather have three postseason trips of any kind over one!!

And then ESPN goes on to ask in another question if you would rather have a 16 team FCS style playoff or the current bowl system. We here all know that the "FCS Style" playoff is now a 20-team field so I'm pretty disapointed in the Worldwide Leader right now to say the least.

darell1976
August 12th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I posted this in the FCS Respect thread and just found this one so I'll post it here also.

So many of you have probly seen the ESPN feature by now on the FCS playoff system vs the current FBS bowl system and the 3 ridiculous questions they offer in their poll. The worst of which goes something like this:

"Would you rather in your college career play in three bowl games or in one playoff trip?" Why are they so blatenly disrespecting the FCS playoff system? Of course anyone would rather have three postseason trips of any kind over one!!

And then ESPN goes on to ask in another question if you would rather have a 16 team FCS style playoff or the current bowl system. We here all know that the "FCS Style" playoff is now a 20-team field so I'm pretty disapointed in the Worldwide Leader right now to say the least.

They should have asked would you rather play in a playoff trip for 3 years or play in 3 bowl games without "ANY" shot at a National Title. Because with the current system you can have a perfect season for 3 years or more and not be considered to play for a National Title. Thats why I am all for a playoff whether its 8 teams, 16 teams or 20. I don't care about Bowl Games if it means my team has no shot at a national title.

Bogus Megapardus
August 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Where's the part where they asked FCS, D-II and D-III players the same question?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Start with the picture, and it's caption.

"Players dream about winning a national championship, but what's the best way to give out the trophy?"

The picture of the trophy is the crystal ball that clearly says "Coaches' Trophy". Nowhere on it does it say NCAA championship, because it's not an NCAA championship. The BCS crystal ball trophy game is a championship only in the mind.

And, framing the question as bowls vs. playoffs at the end? It's a hilariously loaded question. And you also get the impression if you just bribed them with a couple goody bags in each round, you'd win their vote. Nothing like buying one's loyalty! xlolx

JMUNJ08
August 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM

Its AMERICA!!! We embrace mediocrity!!!

But in all seriousness, not that I would EVER defend the BCS, but when over 1/2 the teams get in (68 teams now?) a 16 team playoff is even only a 1/4 of that. So by the numbers 1 playoff year to 3 bowl games is a fair question that way. However, if the other 52 .500 teams could play in the bowls or something...

WHERE IS MY GOODY BAG!?!?!?!?!?