PDA

View Full Version : IA vs IAA graduation rates

65 Pard
January 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Are there any statistics on this.....and what does it say about college football? I think graduation rates are the most overlooked aspect of the "student athlete" issue.....It makes for an uneven playing field as some schools try to hold the moral high ground....and the abusers are rewarded with the best athletes

Frankly I think football was just as interesting and exciting before big time college football became a minor league for the pros...but then, I'm an old timer...

jwfgeol
January 11th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I-AA Graduation Rates (http://www.ncaa.org/grad_rates/2004/d1/DIAA.html)

I-A Graduation Rates (http://www.ncaa.org/grad_rates/2004/d1/DIA.html)

The most recent data show that I-A has a higher graduation rate by 3 percentage points over I-AA schools for football.

Hansel
January 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I-AA Graduation Rates (http://www.ncaa.org/grad_rates/2004/d1/DIAA.html)

I-A Graduation Rates (http://www.ncaa.org/grad_rates/2004/d1/DIA.html)

The most recent data show that I-A has a higher graduation rate by 3 percentage points over I-AA schools for football.
Damn Ivies bringing us down :p

jwfgeol
January 11th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Also found this from US News and World Report. It's from 2002 but it compares graduation rates of all athletes to the overall student body.

Athlete graduation rate (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/sports/rankings/gradrate.htm)

TigerFan17
January 11th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Also found this from US News and World Report. It's from 2002 but it compares graduation rates of all athletes to the overall student body.

Athlete graduation rate (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/sports/rankings/gradrate.htm)

Sittin pretty at #17. :rotateh:

lucchesicourt
January 11th, 2006, 05:39 PM
UC Davis is not on the list because of lack of scholarships.

But a little info:

Rankings and other general statistics
Ranking:
16th among public universities nationwide (National Research Council)
14th among public universities nationwide (U.S. News & World Report)
12th in research funding among U.S. universities and 5th among UC campuses (National Science Foundation)17th, just behind Harvard, in the first ranking of American universities based on their contributions to society (Washington Monthly).

Association:
One of 62 North American universities admitted into the prestigious Association of American Universities.

Research funding: $505 million in 2004–05

Private support: $79 million in 2004–05

Colleges/schools/divisions:
4 colleges (Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Biological Sciences, Engineering, Letters and Science)
5 professional schools (Education, Law, Management, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine)

Student enrollment: 29,637 (fall 2005)

Alumni with degrees: 166,885

Undergraduate majors: 103

Graduate programs: 86

Intercollegiate sports: 26 (14 for women, 12 for men)

Campus acreage: 5,300 acres (largest UC campus)

Entering Fall of Year Shown

Time to Graduation 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997
4 years 26% 27% 28% 33% 33%
4+ years* 38% 37% 40% 46% 45%
5 years 66% 63% 65% 69% 68%
5+ years* 72% 69% 71% 75% 74%
6 years 76% 73% 74% 79% 77%
Therefore, about 76% of incoming freshmen graduate based on most current statistics available.

*4+/5+ indicate 4 or 5 years plus following summer and fall quarters

For more detailed information, visit: UCD Inform

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcus Garvey
January 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Damn Ivies bringing us down :p

Sorry, I don't think the Ivies are on that list. There's a footnote that says "Only student-athletes receiving athletics aid are included in this report." I doubt the aid given by Ivy schools falls under this category. The PL schools OTH are somewhat gray regarding this.

ucdtim17
January 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM
14th among public universities nationwide (U.S. News & World Report)

I'm pretty sure that 14th is based on flawed statistics as an article in the California Aggie explained when the issue came out. UCD dropped to 47th overall when it should have been up around 40.

SochorField
January 11th, 2006, 09:00 PM
we should in fact be ahead of UCSB...at 10th or 11th best public.

colgate13
January 12th, 2006, 07:43 AM

5 out of the top 25 are PL schools! But as Marcus rightly points out, the Ivy says that their aid is not athletically related, so they don't play. Kind of like the playoffs!

Ivytalk
January 12th, 2006, 08:12 AM
5 out of the top 25 are PL schools! But as Marcus rightly points out, the Ivy says that their aid is not athletically related, so they don't play. Kind of like the playoffs!

But everybody knows that the Ivies will find a way to channel enough "need-based" aid to the athletes they want!

SunCoastBlueHen
January 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM

We're tied with Clemson at 126?! Clemson?! I expected UD to be much higher than that.

colgate13
January 12th, 2006, 08:44 AM
But everybody knows that the Ivies will find a way to channel enough "need-based" aid to the athletes they want!

Note that I said 'says' not does! We all know differently...

Maverick
January 12th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Didn't Brown get in some trouble with the league several years ago about "overawarding" aid beyond the Ivy standards? Yeah, get real tired of people talk about the Ivy League and the non-scholarship way they do athletics. No matter what they say, students who have the desirable level of athletic ability receive substantial "aid packages" that may even be more than what the NCAA permits a student-athlete to receive. Spare me any more of that Ivy League drivel. The irony is that Gordon Gee former president of Brown is the same one who is "reforming" athletics at Vanderbilt.

Marcus Garvey
January 12th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Didn't Brown get in some trouble with the league several years ago about "overawarding" aid beyond the Ivy standards? Yeah, get real tired of people talk about the Ivy League and the non-scholarship way they do athletics. No matter what they say, students who have the desirable level of athletic ability receive substantial "aid packages" that may even be more than what the NCAA permits a student-athlete to receive. Spare me any more of that Ivy League drivel. The irony is that Gordon Gee former president of Brown is the same one who is "reforming" athletics at Vanderbilt.

Don't kid yourself. The Ivies don't come close to matching an A-10 school for "aid," or even the PL schools. No, the Ivies are downright stingy on aid. They rely on their academic reputaion (i.e., "Name Brand") to attract students nationwide. This helps offset their cheap financial aid policies. The Boston Globe did a story on Harvard about 8 years ago. They had a starting WR (or maybe it was a TE, don't remember the exact details) who turned down a scholarship to Stanford because he wanted to attend Harvard. The kid was getting ZERO financial aid.

RadMann
January 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
The ranking systems of universities (such as US News) vary greatly based on the criteria used in the ranking scale. They really have little relevence on this board. The athlete graduation rate table makes sense here though.

Engineer91
January 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Am I understanding these number correctly? The second column is the percentage points difference between the athletes and general student population over 6 years; NOT the percent change between these 2 populations? So for #265 Chicago State the atheletes graduated at a 36% rate but that is 24 points higher than the 12% rate of the general population?

Do the schools near the bottom of the list have a large percentage of part time students who may take longer than 6 years to graduate?