PDA

View Full Version : Football conference in flux at South Dakota?

CSN Log
July 17th, 2010, 08:10 AM
07-17-2010 09:00 AM

Beginning with the 2011-2012 school year, the University of South Dakota athletic department will move from the Great West Conference to the Summit League for all sports.

All sports that is except football.

For now, the department’s premier program will remain a member of the far-flung Great West Conference.

New USD athletic director Dave Sayler is keeping his options open when it comes to football’s current home and potential future conferences.

Read more » (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/07/17/football-conference-in-flux-at-south-dak?blog=2#more6679)

More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/07/17/football-conference-in-flux-at-south-dak?blog=2)

darell1976
July 17th, 2010, 09:57 AM
We are in the same boat as the Yotes.

RabidRabbit
July 17th, 2010, 10:28 AM
IMHO, the 4 dakota schools will be in the same conference. Both of the State/U rivalry are nearing 100 years with the South/North games well into the 80's. These 4just fit together to well to not anchor an upper Midwest FB league

darell1976
July 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM
IMHO, the 4 dakota schools will be in the same conference. Both of the State/U rivalry are nearing 100 years with the South/North games well into the 80's. These 4just fit together to well to not anchor an upper Midwest FB league

But do you think it will be in the MVFC?? It would take a lot to move 2 teams out or expand. If something doesn't happen us U's will think about the Big Sky option or the chance at a Summit Football League. Right now us U's would take any road that gets us out of the GWFC.

JBB
July 17th, 2010, 02:37 PM
The four Dakota universities are close geographically but all are not compatible. I hope the BSC picks up the uxds. They offer no advantage in scheduling to the Mighty Land Grants. If the Dakota schools want to play they will schedule games no matter what conference they are in. USD comes to Fargo this year.

Right now NDSU has to put together 3 OOC games. If they joined a Summit football conference they would need 5 or 6 OOC games. Not a good trade and unlikely to happen. Besides the Dakotas now have the Marker game. That phenomena has replaced the smaller more regional rivalries the in-state schools used to promote.

For what ever reason, the UxDs had no loyalty to the "old" rivalries. Thats why they are in the situation they are in now. I certainly dont see the Mighty Land Grants making their situations more difficult in both travel and scheduling to help them out. They arent deserving of that kind of loyalty.

The USD AD is properly concerned about football. The options are limited and he has talked about them all. I can see Summit league football without NDSU/SDSU but a MVFC change including the UxDs will require some major shifting, probably a move by 1 or more schools to the FBS. USD is first in line because of location. The BSC is a long shot too, requiring more movement, all speculative. One of the more likely scenarios may be UND to the BSC and USD to the Summit and MVFC. I believe that is more likely than both to the MVFC.

darell1976
July 17th, 2010, 03:34 PM
The four Dakota universities are close geographically but all are not compatible. I hope the BSC picks up the uxds. They offer no advantage in scheduling to the Mighty Land Grants. If the Dakota schools want to play they will schedule games no matter what conference they are in. USD comes to Fargo this year.

Right now NDSU has to put together 3 OOC games. If they joined a Summit football conference they would need 5 or 6 OOC games. Not a good trade and unlikely to happen. Besides the Dakotas now have the Marker game. That phenomena has replaced the smaller more regional rivalries the in-state schools used to promote.

For what ever reason, the UxDs had no loyalty to the "old" rivalries. Thats why they are in the situation they are in now. I certainly dont see the Mighty Land Grants making their situations more difficult in both travel and scheduling to help them out. They arent deserving of that kind of loyalty.

The USD AD is properly concerned about football. The options are limited and he has talked about them all. I can see Summit league football without NDSU/SDSU but a MVFC change including the UxDs will require some major shifting, probably a move by 1 or more schools to the FBS. USD is first in line because of location. The BSC is a long shot too, requiring more movement, all speculative. One of the more likely scenarios may be UND to the BSC and USD to the Summit and MVFC. I believe that is more likely than both to the MVFC.

JBB can you be more hateful to UND and USD? How do you see a Summit League Football league without the SU's when it is possible the Summit League could kick both teams out by not joining. And it has been done in other conferences so don't say it will "never" happen. You don't see your school and SDSU helping us out. Well you are scheduling us aren't you? UND vs NDSU in baseball, basketball, and talks about football have been started. UND vs SDSU in football, NDSU vs USD in football. As for USD being first in line because of location? That makes no sense. Their population is around 9500 compared to Grand Forks' 50,000. So I think UND would be first choice. But you as a UND hater would say something like that. So before this starts into a UND/NDSU hatred thread that has to be shut down. I am not going to debate you any more on the USD subject.

JBB
July 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM
My viewpoint is valid. There are many of us who feel a conference relationship with Und is not desirable. I understand you don't appreciate any opinion that doesn't fall into step with yours. To say hateful is absurd but assuming the summit is going to do as you please is also absurd. You have failed to show any advantage to SUmmit football for schools other than your own. UND knows as well as anyone how difficult it is to schedule OOC games. On that point alone WIU, SDSU and NDSU will be opposed. The idea has no advantage to the MVFC schools and will cost them a lot of money while saving the UxDs time,money and effort. How would you justify the cost to those schools? How do you justify the gains to be made by the UxDs?

Scheduling the UxDs is an option the Mighty Land Grants always have as you have pointed out.

darell1976
July 18th, 2010, 01:19 PM
My viewpoint is valid. There are many of us who feel a conference relationship with Und is not desirable. I understand you don't appreciate any opinion that doesn't fall into step with yours. To say hateful is absurd but assuming the summit is going to do as you please is also absurd. You have failed to show any advantage to SUmmit football for schools other than your own. UND knows as well as anyone how difficult it is to schedule OOC games. On that point alone WIU, SDSU and NDSU will be opposed. The idea has no advantage to the MVFC schools and will cost them a lot of money while saving the UxDs time,money and effort. How would you justify the cost to those schools? How do you justify the gains to be made by the UxDs?

Scheduling the UxDs is an option the Mighty Land Grants always have as you have pointed out.

Whatever makes you feel good.

JBB
July 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Responsible and level headed give and take with room for disagreement without resorting to personal attacks and insult will do just fine Darell. Some type of comment on the points raised, other than pouting, would be nice.

Summit league football boils down to a serious division in the Summit unless the league will tolerate WIU, SDSU and NDSU to remain with the MVFC. As pointed out these schools stand to lose a lot if forced into a smaller, more expensive and less prestigious football arraignment. Those schools are a pretty formidable voting block.

In reality there are benefits to conference exposure, how much is debatable. There are some perceived advantages to conference stability as well, but I cant see any pot of gold for the league as a whole. Without some type of proposal that benefits all football schools the idea is dead in the water. Under the current circumstances I just dont see the league requiring members to play Summit football.

I think its likely the MVFC is going to lose a member to the MAC and USD will be invited. If we lose 2 UND couldl get the invite as well. But without some type of catalyst that forces everyones hand or a new idea that has benefit for all its difficult to see the idea result in anything more than the GWFC getting a new name.

darell1976
July 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Responsible and level headed give and take with room for disagreement without resorting to personal attacks and insult will do just fine Darell. Some type of comment on the points raised, other than pouting, would be nice.

Summit league football boils down to a serious division in the Summit unless the league will tolerate WIU, SDSU and NDSU to remain with the MVFC. As pointed out these schools stand to lose a lot if forced into a smaller, more expensive and less prestigious football arraignment. Those schools are a pretty formidable voting block.

In reality there are benefits to conference exposure, how much is debatable. There are some perceived advantages to conference stability as well, but I cant see any pot of gold for the league as a whole. Without some type of proposal that benefits all football schools the idea is dead in the water. Under the current circumstances I just dont see the league requiring members to play Summit football.

I think its likely the MVFC is going to lose a member to the MAC and USD will be invited. If we lose 2 UND couldl get the invite as well. But without some type of catalyst that forces everyones hand or a new idea that has benefit for all its difficult to see the idea result in anything more than the GWFC getting a new name.

xconfusedx Why would USD be picked over UND? If the there is only 1 option open No Big Sky no FBS (UND and USD can't move up due to stadium capacities) why would USD that has 9500 people in the town of Vermillion no National titles in football and only 1 appearance (vs NDSU), be picked over UND that has over 50,000 people in Grand Forks, a National Title in football (2001) newer stadium, and better FCS record? Thats right you said "location". And for that I have say why? UND has more flights out of GFK than Vermillion.

RabidRabbit
July 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
xnodxxnodxxnodx Much better discussion!

USD may be the preferred choice over USD, because it's a BUS TRIP for UNI, WIU rather than a flight. Who knows, the MVFC may choose both, like they did with NDSU and SDSU

All pure speculation and each of our xtwocentsx worth

darell1976
July 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM
xnodxxnodxxnodx Much better discussion!

USD may be the preferred choice over UND, because it's a BUS TRIP for UNI, WIU rather than a flight. Who knows, the MVFC may choose both, like they did with NDSU and SDSU

All pure speculation and each of our xtwocentsx worth

Changed your quote. I can see that the SFL will only benefit UND, and USD. The SU's and WIU are screwed. As for the MVFC a lot is going to happen to have UND and or USD in the conference. So yeah it will be interesting what happens before 2012..our graduation dates!