PDA

View Full Version : SCSU new Offensive and Defensive Coordinator

bosshogg
January 9th, 2006, 09:00 AM
New Defensive Coordinator
http://scsusports.com/images/Evangelista.jpg

Thomas M. Evangelista joins the SCSU coaching staff following a strong career including, most recently, a stint at Clemson University. Prior to joining the SCSU coaching staff, Evangelista served as a member of the Clemson Tiger staff in the position of defensive graduate assistant/secondary assistant. During his tenure, Evangelista helped the Tigers develop into one of the most surprising teams in the nation, highlighted by a win over perennial national power Florida State in 2003. Evangelista also spent time as a defensive coordinator at State University of West Georgia where he led the UWG defense into becoming one of the top defensive units in the Gulf South Conference, allowing just 19.0 points per game and 299.3 total yards per game, both of which led the Gulf South Conference in the 2000 season. Evangelista is a 1994 graduate of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee wher he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics and Computer Science. He and his wife, Rebecca, are the proud parents of two children, Jack and Sarah.

New Offensive Coordinator
http://scsusports.com/images/napier.jpg

Billy Napier joins the South Carolina State University this fall with a solid knowledge of the game and a wealth of playing experience. Prior to joining the SCSU coaching staff, Napier served as a graduate assistant at Clemson University for the past two seasons, where he assisted the development of a number of Tiger players. A four-year letter winner at Furman, Napier was one of the most storied quarterbacks in Paladins history, earning All-SoCon honors twice and becoming a finalist for the Walter Payton Award. Napier currently holds the Southern Conference single-game record for passing efficiency in leading the Paladins to a 57-7 win over Elon in the 2002 season. He also broke the Furman single-season passing yards record with 2,475 yards that season as well as the single-season record for passing efficiency (.685) Napier also holds the career passing completion percentage record for the Southern Conference at .648. Napier holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Health and Exercise Science from Furman University.

The offensive coordinator was formerly our QB Coach. The Defensive Coordinator was formerly our DB Coach....so now to replace the coaches who left, we are looking for an OL coach and a a LB Coach

I am happy with these hires..especially the promotion for napier

thirdgendin
January 9th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Holy cow! That's a great gig for a 25-year old! Congrats Billy!

youwouldno
January 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Wow. OC at 25 is pretty darn good. Hopefully he has success in his new role.

Eaglegus2
January 9th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I wish Billy Napier all the luck in the world. He will be a good one and can build a huge resume' at SCSU.

bigbluetiger
January 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
That's a suspect hire if you asked me. Two years as a grad assistant and now he's an OC. Is ther somthing I'm missing?

bosshogg
January 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM
That's a suspect hire if you asked me. Two years as a grad assistant and now he's an OC. Is ther somthing I'm missing?

suspect all you want...

he is a former all southern confernece QB who was the GA at clemson for offense for 2 seasons, and was our QB coach last year.....on top of all that, the man's dad is a high school coach and billy has been to every QB and offensive camp in the SE during his high school years...add to that he called about 50% of our plays last year and designed at least that many.....suspect all you want..we are happy with the hire

bigbluetiger
January 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM
suspect all you want...

he is a former all southern confernece QB who was the GA at clemson for offense for 2 seasons, and was our QB coach last year.....on top of all that, the man's dad is a high school coach and billy has been to every QB and offensive camp in the SE during his high school years...add to that he called about 50% of our plays last year and designed at least that many.....suspect all you want..we are happy with the hire

Now that tells me a little more but still a risk.

OL FU
January 9th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Napier :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

OL FU
January 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Now that tells me a little more but still a risk.

I would say it might be considered a risk if he had been hired from the outside, but since he has been at State for two years, one would think they have reason to confident

Besides, contrary to some on this board. FU QBs make excellent coaches :nod:

DeBusk, Lamb, Sorrells, Napier, Wyche (might have heard of him)

I am sure there are more.