PDA

View Full Version : MS Valley State's Budget Falls to $3.3M, Other Schools Rise

CSN Log
June 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM
06-17-2010 03:38 PM

Mississippi State and Ole Miss will each spend about four percent more on athletics than they did a year ago, according to athletic department budgets approved Wednesday by the state College Board.

Ole Miss has the larger of the two totals, checking in with a projected $43.7 million. Mississippi State’s 2010-11 budget is $37.4 million. Both budgets are among the smallest in the Southeastern Conference.

Read more » (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/06/17/ms-valley-state-s-budget-falls-to-3-3m-o?blog=2#more6605)

More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/06/17/ms-valley-state-s-budget-falls-to-3-3m-o?blog=2)

GeauxLions94
June 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Well, this should shut down any rumors of Delta State going DI

Division II school Delta State has the smallest budget, at $2.7 million. That’s down 2.5 percent from last year.

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
If Mississippi Valley can operate on $3.3M, that opens the doors for plenty of non-Div I schools to compete at the highest level...holy moly!

Valley must not fully fund football amongst other sports and the salaries must be pretty low on the totem pole compared to even Div II schools...

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Well - here's that low budget at work.

Valley has NO home games. Seven true guarantee games. An exempt tournament which includes some guarantees and another tournament that assuredly has guarantees...

http://www.mvsu.edu/athletics/mens_basketball/schedule.php

Franks Tanks
July 24th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Miss. is one of the poorest states in the Union so this isnt a complete surprise. I always hear about those wealthy Ole Miss alums.. it that a farce or are they keeping the Rebels competitive with private contributions?

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Miss. is one of the poorest states in the Union so this isnt a complete surprise. I always hear about those wealthy Ole Miss alums.. it that a farce or are they keeping the Rebels competitive with private contributions?

If I am not mistaken, the two Mississippi schools are at the bottom of the SEC barrel as far as budgets go.

Valley's situation is the worst in the SWAC and they are actually funded less than Div II Delta State. There's been talks of merging schools and even Jackson State (also in Mississippi) has been mentioned for a downgrade.

gram4life
July 25th, 2010, 03:59 AM
If I am not mistaken, the two Mississippi schools are at the bottom of the SEC barrel as far as budgets go.

Valley's situation is the worst in the SWAC and they are actually funded less than Div II Delta State. There's been talks of merging schools and even Jackson State (also in Mississippi) has been mentioned for a downgrade.

when was Jackson state mention for a downgrade.

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM
when was Jackson state mention for a downgrade.

Local media in Mississsippi have discussed it on the radio per the MEAC Fan Board. It's also been thrown around in the discussion of the merger of Mississippi schools...

Grambling has been mentioned recently in the same line as some of the SLC schools that may have to downgrade. I'm presuming this has to do with Grambling's HEAVY reliance on institution/state funding.