PDA

View Full Version : Conference shake-up could bolster UND's chances of finding a home

CSN Log
June 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
06-11-2010 05:23 AM

The conference movement that is shaking NCAA Division I athletics like a massive earthquake this week has the Big Sky Conference on alert. On Thursday, the University of North Dakota and Southern Utah were both on the league’s radar.

To what extent is not certain, but Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton said UND could be an option if the University of Montana, the most likely candidate to move its football program up a level, leaves. The popular theory has the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision Western Athletic Conference making a push for Football Championship Subdivision schools like Montana.

Read more » (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/06/11/conference-shake-up-could-bolster-und-s?blog=2#more6588)

More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/06/11/conference-shake-up-could-bolster-und-s?blog=2)

darell1976
June 11th, 2010, 08:45 AM
xthumbsupx

RabidRabbit
June 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM
While I know that Big Sky is one of two destination leagues (Summit being the other) Which would be a better match for UND?

Big Sky - Nearest school - MT St (assuming that they don't move with MT) or UNC

Summit - NDSU in Fargo

UND Sports Summit Big Sky
Football X
Hockey
M Basketball X X
W Basketball X X
Track & Field X X
Baseball X
Swimming X
Golf (M&W) X
Softball X
X-C X X
Volleyball X X

The ONLY benefit of a Big Sky membership over a Summit is the Football. Otherwise, for the minor sports, Big Sky is a much more travel-laden conference for UND vs Summit. Of course with all this shake up, will there be either a Big Sky or a Summit League in the future?

darell1976
June 11th, 2010, 09:58 AM
While I know that Big Sky is one of two destination leagues (Summit being the other) Which would be a better match for UND?

Big Sky - Nearest school - MT St (assuming that they don't move with MT) or UNC

Summit - NDSU in Fargo

UND Sports Summit Big Sky
Football X
Hockey
M Basketball X X
W Basketball X X
Track & Field X X
Baseball X
Swimming X
Golf (M&W) X
Softball X
X-C X X
Volleyball X X

The ONLY benefit of a Big Sky membership over a Summit is the Football. Otherwise, for the minor sports, Big Sky is a much more travel-laden conference for UND vs Summit. Of course with all this shake up, will there be either a Big Sky or a Summit League in the future?

However, UND has NOT been invited into the Summit League. And even though the SBoHE and UND has chosen to "resolve" the nickname issue by retiring it, Tom Douple the Summit President has not talked to UND about an invite. So I chalk it up to first come first serve for UND.

dakotadan
June 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
The Summit League presidents will be meeting on June 21 where it is expected (hopefully) that they will address UND's application to the Summit.