PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross OL Chris Jones Earns Tryout with Saints

Lehigh Football Nation
May 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/springfield-oh-sports/high-school-sports/springfield/south-grad-jones-gets-tryout-with-super-bowl-champion-saints-688647.html

On the weekend of the 2010 National Football League Draft, Aaron Jones was hoping to hear something, anything from one of the 32 teams.

As his phone stayed silent, the 6-foot-4, 360-pound offensive lineman from Holy Cross thought his chance at the NFL was over.

“I didn’t hear from anybody at all,” Jones said. “I was pretty disappointed. I was bummed. I thought it was over. I just wanted a shot.”

Two weeks later, Jones will finally got that shot — with the defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints.

xbowx

He attended both the University of Massachusetts and Boston College Pro Days earlier this year.

“Both of the programs had some big offensive line prospects,” Jones said. “I believed that I was just as good as those guys and that I could compete with them. The scouts said I looked good running around, pretty fast, quick on my feet.”

Including UMass OL Vladimir Ducasse. xsmiley_wix

The Saints drafted Boston College center Matt Tennant in the fifth round. Tennant impressed the New Orleans braintrust at the same Pro Day that Jones attended.

He said he was in shock when the Saints called him for a tryout, especially this late after the draft. Most NFL teams have already had their rookie mini-camp.

“I’m excited and ready to go make the best of it and see what happens,” Jones said.

Jones said getting a tryout with the defending Super Bowl champs made it worth the wait.

“It’s so sweet,” Jones said. “I’ve talked to their coaches a lot. They’re a real cool coaching staff. The scouts are real good guys. I’m excited.”

xhurrayx