PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Division I Board of Directors supports football proposals, membership standards

CSN Log
April 29th, 2010, 04:00 PM
04-29-2010 03:56 PM

More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/04/29/ncaa-division-i-board-of-directors-suppo?blog=2)

TexasTerror
April 29th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Those dreaded membership standards...

In other business, the Board endorsed the recommendations for new Division I membership standards. The recommendations include:

* A four-year reclassification process with election to active membership in the fifth year.
* Institutions must be active members of Division II for at least five years before beginning the reclassification process to become a Division I institution.
* Reclassifying institutions must meet Division I requirements upon beginning the process to become Division I members.
* An application fee (the amount to be determined by either the estimated annual average value of direct benefits through distributions and championships or the median annual value of direct benefits through distributions and championships).
* All potential Division I members must have a bona fide offer of membership in a Division I conference before beginning the reclassification process.

superman7515
April 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
So what if you already have membership in a Division 1 conference in FCS? I haven't read the actual minutes of the meeting or anything, just the article, and it says potential Division 1 members. If you're in FCS, you're already a Division 1 member, so would you be able to go Independent in FBS?

TexasTerror
May 7th, 2010, 10:27 AM
So what if you already have membership in a Division 1 conference in FCS? I haven't read the actual minutes of the meeting or anything, just the article, and it says potential Division 1 members. If you're in FCS, you're already a Division 1 member, so would you be able to go Independent in FBS?

Pretty certain the new rules indicate that you can not move up to FBS unless you have a conference affiliation...

Unless all the conferences grow past 12, 14 or 16 members - whatever number they are eying to reach, FBS membership is pretty much going to be capped at some point in the near future...