PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft-FCS Picks/Comments

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 12:15 PM
On day two, we had Vlad Ducasse of UMass get picked in the second round by the New York Jets, Armanti Edwards of ASU go in the third to the Carolina Panthers and Andre Roberts of The Citadel go a pick later to The Arizona Cardinals. All were excellent picks and have a chance to make quick impacts for their respective teams.

Now on day three, some others are getting their shots:

Round Four
125. Philadelphia - Clay Harbor (TE, Missouri State)

Round Five
143. Jacksonville - Larry Hart (DE, Central Arkansas)
152. Cincinnati - Otis Hudson (OG, Eastern Illinois)
153. Jacksonville - Austen Lane (DE, Murray State)
155. Arizona - John Skelton (QB, Fordham)

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I haven't been impressed by the off-season moves by the Philadelphia Eagles, but Clay Harbor is a good pick for them. He will give them another good target in the passing game. Philadelphia's QB Kolb needs all the help he can get.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 12:19 PM
It would be interesting to see the Jaguars with TWO DEs from the FCS ranks, Austen Lane and Larry Hart, eventually start in Jacksonville. Both are project-type guys who have some time to develop.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM
What do people in the FCS nation think of Fordham's John Skelton going to the Arizona Cardinals? He is a long-range developmental guy, but he has a great arm and size. Watch out Matt Leinert.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM
A bit surprised to see the Cincinnati Bengals go for Otis Hudson of Eastern Illinois in the fifth round.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM
What do people in the FCS nation think of Fordham's John Skelton going to the Arizona Cardinals? He is a long-range developmental guy, but he has a great arm and size. Watch out Matt Leinert.

Interesting to hear one of the commentators on the NFL Network mention that he wasn't even the best QB in his league. He said Rudolph from Holy Cross was the better QB, but that Skelton was the better pro prospect. Same guy who made comments last night about the 65 yards in the air pass made by Edwards in the 2008 Wofford-App game. Blew the others away that he knew stuff from "the 2008 Wofford game"!!!!

WestCoastAggie
April 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Skelton just might be the steal of the draft.

Bogus Megapardus
April 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM
He said Rudolph from Holy Cross was the better QB, but that Skelton was the better pro prospect.

And he was correct in that assessment.

Proud Griz Man
April 24th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Montana Safety Schillinger in 6th round. Good guy. Smart player.

Round 6 (171) Shann Schillinger DB 6'0 202 Montana
National Football Post: A gifted safety who runs really well for his size. Is a bit high cut, but can make up for a false step and will be a heck of a special teams guy early in his NFL career.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Interesting to hear one of the commentators on the NFL Network mention that he wasn't even the best QB in his league. He said Rudolph from Holy Cross was the better QB, but that Skelton was the better pro prospect.

Was there a little asterisk on the screen, noting that he got his opinions from a particular Lehigh blogger? xlolx

Seriously, there might be an FCS-to-FCS connection in Arizona. (Skelton complete to Roberts). Skelton, from Fordham, played in the Patriot League, while offensive coordinator Dave Cecchini, who was the offensive coach at The Citadel when Roberts was there, is not offfensive coordinator at Lehigh.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Interesting to hear one of the commentators on the NFL Network mention that he wasn't even the best QB in his league. He said Rudolph from Holy Cross was the better QB, but that Skelton was the better pro prospect. Same guy who made comments last night about the 65 yards in the air pass made by Edwards in the 2008 Wofford-App game. Blew the others away that he knew stuff from "the 2008 Wofford game"!!!!

I would have drafted Dominic Randolph ahead of Skelton. Randolph may not have the big arm or size that Skelton does, but he has everything else. Also, Randolph is a winner. Other than his sophomore year, Skelton didn't lift Fordham to wins like Randolph did.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Montana Safety Schillinger in 6th round. Good guy. Smart player.

Schillinger went about where he was expected to go. Like his special teams ability in the NFL.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Skelton just might be the steal of the draft.

Very doubtful. I'd see your guy Austen Lane as more of a steal than Skelton. Lane has tremendous upside.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Catching up with things through six rounds:

Round Four
125. Philadelphia - Clay Harbor (TE, Missouri State)

Round Five
143. Jacksonville - Larry Hart (DE, Central Arkansas)
152. Cincinnati - Otis Hudson (OG, Eastern Illinois)
153. Jacksonville - Austen Lane (DE, Murray State)
155. Arizona - John Skelton (QB, Fordham)

Round Six
171. Atlanta - Shann Schillinger (S, Montana)
178. Buffalo - Arthur Moats (OLB, James Madison)
180. Jacksonville - Deji Karim (RB, Southern Illinois)
184. New York Giants - Adrian Tracy (OLB, William & Mary)
192. Buffalo - Danny Batten (DE, South Dakota State)
203. Jacksonville - Scotty McGee (KR-CB, James Madison)

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Glad to see Scotty McGee get drafted and like how the Jags are loading up on FCS picks. Hope to see some kicks taken to the house by little Scotty.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Not looking good for Simonds or Randolph getting drafted, though I'm still hopeful.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Simonds wasn't expected to go until probably the seventh round if he got drafted. Randolph is expected to be PFA. I still would pick Randolph over Skelton.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM
38 picks to go. C'mon Simonds.

Uncle Rico's Clan
April 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Marc Mariani is the 15th pick in the seventh round to the Tennessee Titans.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I am struck with how many high character kids from the FCS ranks are getting drafted this year. Adding to that list is Marc Mariani of Montana, going to Tennessee with pick 222 overall in the 7th round. Great kid.

I will always remember meeting a Montana coed in Chattanooga two years ago who was wearing a Marc Mariani will you marry me shirt.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Congrats to South Carolina State CB Phillip Adams, selected 224 overall in the 7th round by San Francisco.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 24th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I would have drafted Dominic Randolph ahead of Skelton. Randolph may not have the big arm or size that Skelton does, but he has everything else. Also, Randolph is a winner. Other than his sophomore year, Skelton didn't lift Fordham to wins like Randolph did.

I'm not really well versed in all the details about either guy, but I couldn't help but think about Ricky Santos and Joe Flacco from a couple of years ago. Ricky got collegiate awards, but Joe because of the size and arm strength really was the better pro prospect. Joe's starting in Baltimore, Ricky is on the bench in Canada. Only time will tell what the future is for Dom and Jon.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM
W&M's Sean Lissemore and Brown's David Howard just got drafted!

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Seventh Round
221. New York Giants - Matt Dodge (P, East Carolina - Started his career at Appalachian State)
222. Tennessee - Marc Mariani (WR, Montana)
224. San Francisco - Phillip Adams (DB, South Carolina State)
234. Dallas - Sean Lissemore (DT, William & Mary)
241. Tennessee - David Howard (DT Brown)

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Interesting to see Matt Dodge of East Carolina get drafted. He was the punter on ASU's first national championship team and basically was asked by Coach Jerry Moore not to return the following year. He was a bit of a screwball then, who didn't fit in with the team. Obviously, Dodge was a guy who had talent. If he makes the New York Giants, Dodge would be the third Appalachian State punter in the NFL in the past 20-plus year, joining Mark Royals and Harold Alexander.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Will Mr. Irrelevant be an FCS player this year?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Tim Toone! Mr. Irrelevant!

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Mr. Irrelevant is:

Tim Toone of Weber State. WOW.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Tim Toone is a great player, both as a receiver and a returnman.

Proud Griz Man
April 24th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I am struck with how many high character kids from the FCS ranks are getting drafted this year. Adding to that list is Marc Mariani of Montana, going to Tennessee with pick 222 overall in the 7th round. Great kid.

I will always remember meeting a Montana coed in Chattanooga two years ago who was wearing a Marc Mariani will you marry me shirt.

Round 7 (222) Marc Mariani WR 6'1 190 Montana
National Football Post: A smooth, polished route runner who knows how to go pluck the football. And he ran better at his pro day than many thought he would and might be able to fill out an NFL wide receiving corps.

Hard worker. Polite man. Walked-on at Montana, later earned a scholarship
and became a big-play guy. Developed into a really talented special teams guy, and further developed into a nice WR. Good speed and ultimately learned how to increase YAC via making defenders miss and broken tackles.

smallcollegefbfan
April 24th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Glad to see Scotty McGee get drafted and like how the Jags are loading up on FCS picks. Hope to see some kicks taken to the house by little Scotty.

Makes you wonder if the Jags perhaps have some good FCS sources?

MSUBear42
April 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I haven't been impressed by the off-season moves by the Philadelphia Eagles, but Clay Harbor is a good pick for them. He will give them another good target in the passing game. Philadelphia's QB Kolb needs all the help he can get.

Yeah. we were hoping he was going to the Rams or Chiefs, but oh well! Still awesome for Clay, couldnt happen to a better person.

UMass922
April 24th, 2010, 08:08 PM
It looks like the Jets are cutting Alan Faneca, so Vlad Ducasse will have a good chance to start right away, probably at guard:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5130870

JMUNJ08
April 25th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Dominic Randolph to the Giants as a free agentxhurrayx Maybe we could have a decent back-up to Eli????

Also like they got the DE/LB Tracy from W&M.

Just loading up on that FCS talent!