PDA

View Full Version : Two SoCon players selected in 3rd Round

AtlantaMountaineer
April 23rd, 2010, 10:11 PM
The Citadel's Andre Roberts and App State's Armanti Edwards were selected #88 and #89 in the NFL draft in the Third Round. Roberts by Arizona and Edwards by Carolina. Congratulations to both great players.

Mr. C
April 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Good evening for the Southern Conference.

bleedblue
April 24th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Cards have FCS boys that get lots of playing time. Hightower at RB, Rodgers-Cromartie at CB, Patrick at TE. Also other FCS players on the roster like Dan Krieder, Mike Leach and Brandon Keith.

PhoenixPhan
April 24th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Can anyone give me more information on Andre Roberts? How did it work out that he got selected in the 3rd round and Terrell Hudgins is not expected to go until the 7th, if at all? (the NFL website doesn't even list Hudgins name as a prospect)

PhoenixSupreme
April 24th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Can anyone give me more information on Andre Roberts? How did it work out that he got selected in the 3rd round and Terrell Hudgins is not expected to go until the 7th, if at all? (the NFL website doesn't even list Hudgins name as a prospect)

Roberts was a better prospect due to his explosiveness off of the line and his top-end speed. Hudgins may have been great at catching the ball, but he lacked acceleration, and thus would not be able to separate himself from NFL corners when running routes.

PhoenixPhan
April 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks. I've heard the speed argument, but I'm still having trouble understanding how Hudgins' records can be overlooked to the point that he may not even be drafted. Clearly, even without top-end speed, he's been doing something right.

Regardless, here's hoping someone picks him up as a sixth or seventh round sleeper and puts some faith in his playmaking abilities.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Andre Roberts is also a multi-purpose player. He was drafted as much for his return ability as he was for his play as a receiver. He also has quite a bit more speed and quickness than Hudgins. Roberts would have had quite a bit better numbers if he had better talent around him in college.

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 12:08 PM
To be honest, it would probably be a bigger surprise if Hudgins WAS drafted rather than if he ends up as a free agent. No offense to Terrell, it's just the nature of the NFL draft.

Saint3333
April 24th, 2010, 12:44 PM
1. SPEED
2. Return man
3. Lack of solid QB hurt Roberts numbers
4. Hands, TH seldom dropped balls, but Roberts may have even better hands

PhoenixSupreme
April 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM
The NFL draft, in the end, shows that teams are looking for pro potential, not sheer stats and numbers. If Roberts had played at Elon and Hudgins at the Citadel, Roberts' stats may have the same or better than Hudgins, and vice-versa. If John Skelton of Fordham played at Oklahoma, and Sam Bradford at Fordham, the win/loss records of each respective school most likely would not deviate too much and each QBs stats would swap, because it is more about the system than the player. Both players' draft positions would most likely not deviate either, because it is about their potential in the NFL, not what team each played for. The stats, in my opinion, are more of a byproduct of the system, and other players on the team (ex. Riddle's throwing preferences, run vs. pass ratios). Some players are just a better fit for some systems than others, and the NFL draft highlights players that can adapt to new systems and schemes the best.

Feel free to correct my (probably flawed) argument

PaladinFan
April 24th, 2010, 12:58 PM
NFL draft is a strange animal. Most Furman fans though Joel Bell was a no brainer pick for some team and William Middleton was a Free Agent. Turns out Middleton was drafted in the fifth, and Bell not at all.

PhoenixPhan
April 24th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Totally understand about drafting on potential in the NFL, not necessaarily numbers in college ball. It's interesting that a QB can be drafted so early with the assumption that he will likely be moved to a WR/return position, but some great, proven WRs still wait. I guess it's all in the nature of the NFL being a different beast than college. Hard to tell who's going to step up and really surprise people as a great pro player.
Rooting for all the SoCon and FCS boys in the draft and free agency!

jmufan999
April 24th, 2010, 04:36 PM
phoenixphan, i think some of that may be because of the Wildcat. Edwards can do all the things that "regular athletes" can do (by that, i mean run fast, be agile, spin moves, etc.) but he can ALSO throw the ball a mile. no one really gives him credit for that. i still remember that Wofford game from 2008 (and no i'm not just saying that because they were talking about it on NFL Network... i watched the game myself about 5 times since JMU played Wofford in the playoffs that year).

Mr. C
April 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM
NFL draft is a strange animal. Most Furman fans though Joel Bell was a no brainer pick for some team and William Middleton was a Free Agent. Turns out Middleton was drafted in the fifth, and Bell not at all.

Bell had health issues that kept him from being drafted. He basically failed his physical. Middleton shot up late after his pro day and a had a handful of teams that fell in love with him.

PaladinFan
April 24th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Totally understand about drafting on potential in the NFL, not necessaarily numbers in college ball. It's interesting that a QB can be drafted so early with the assumption that he will likely be moved to a WR/return position, but some great, proven WRs still wait. I guess it's all in the nature of the NFL being a different beast than college. Hard to tell who's going to step up and really surprise people as a great pro player.

Yeah, a number have questioned Carolina's move. Not that Armanti isn't a third rounder, but they gave up a second rounder next year to move up to get him. Adding to that they drafted two other quarterbacks and passed on some good WRs (guys that actually have played the position).

Still. Draft is a strange animal. Will have plenty of time to see whether Edwards pans out as a receiver or not.

Saint3333
April 25th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I don't think AE was drafted as a WR only. Look for some interesting wildcat packages and him utilized as a return man.

Paladin fans should have more respect for a kid that dominated them the last four years.

PaladinFan
April 25th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I don't think AE was drafted as a WR only. Look for some interesting wildcat packages and him utilized as a return man.

Paladin fans should have more respect for a kid that dominated them the last four years.

I don't have any lack of respect. Armanti Edwards gets more love on this forum than any 45 players combined. He is a great athlete, I think he'll do well.

That said, this is the NFL, not the SoCon. There have been several players who have absolutely dominated FCS football at their respective positions and not been effective pros (Dexter Jackson, Ingle Martin, Jayson Foster, Jerome Simpson to name a couple). I'm not even saying I am critical of it. I'm saying others have been (which is true).

I wish Edwards the best. I hope he represents the conference well.

KiddBrewer
April 25th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I don't have any lack of respect. Armanti Edwards gets more love on this forum than any 45 players combined. He is a great athlete, I think he'll do well.

That said, this is the NFL, not the SoCon. There have been several players who have absolutely dominated FCS football at their respective positions and not been effective pros (Dexter Jackson, Ingle Martin, Jayson Foster, Jerome Simpson to name a couple). I'm not even saying I am critical of it. I'm saying others have been (which is true).

I wish Edwards the best. I hope he represents the conference well.

:o hate to say it.....but Dex didnt "dominate" at his positions at nearly the same level that the other guys you listed did....

note: he did score a lot of touchdowns on returns (before somebody corrects me), but if you were watching the same thing i saw, he also ran east-west as much as north-south most of the time.

but anywho.....CONGRATS ARMANTI AND ROBERTS, i think/hope both can have good long careersxhurrayx

smallcollegefbfan
April 25th, 2010, 11:37 PM

You also have to remember that Elon's offense is geared toward the QB and WRs having big numbers. No offense to Hudgins but if Ramses Barden had not played in an option offense, which Roberts did some and never had a good QB, then Hudgins would not have any records. It took Hudgins 3 1/2 years to pass Barden and Barden had less than half of the chances to catch a pass than what Hudgins had. If Hudgins had the speed, ability to separate, and return skills of Roberts he would have been a second round pick. The chance of him sticking is just as good of his chance at not making it. I think it is 50/50 if he makes it for sure.

PaladinFan
April 26th, 2010, 09:17 AM
:o hate to say it.....but Dex didnt "dominate" at his positions at nearly the same level that the other guys you listed did....

note: he did score a lot of touchdowns on returns (before somebody corrects me), but if you were watching the same thing i saw, he also ran east-west as much as north-south most of the time.

but anywho.....CONGRATS ARMANTI AND ROBERTS, i think/hope both can have good long careersxhurrayx

True. Jackson did get taken early in the draft comparable to most FCS players. It's just an observation that some drafted players from the FCS, even the really really good ones, often struggle.

SideLine Shooter
April 26th, 2010, 09:56 AM

It might be similar to a college team signing several QBs out of High School. They are usually the better athletes on a H.S. team. They are signed to play at wr or a db. Maybe the nfl looked at AE as that type of athlete that can possibly play and have value at another position.

Some people may not remember "The Greatest Upset in College Football" and what AE was able to do against a very large pro style team in Michigan.