PDA

View Full Version : Skelton pro day 3/9 at Fordham

Fordham83
March 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Fordham’s Skelton to throw at pro day
Posted: March 7th, 2010 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: 2010 Pro Days, Fordham, John Skelton

While Fordham quarterback John Skelton will throw at the school’s pro day Tuesday March 9th, he will stand on all of his other workout numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine.

Skelton had an impressive showing in Indianapolis, including posting a 4.85 second 40-yard dash, a 33 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot broad jump.

Though Fordham’s pro day will take place indoors, Skelton will throw outside to four receivers, including his brother, Stephen, along with teammate Asa Lucas, Colgate’s Pat Simonds and Columbia’s Austin Knowlin.

– Gil Brandt

exciting.. John should feel comfortable throwing at FU ..

few questions -
at what time is it and is this session open to the public?
cool he throws to his bro and Lucas. why not FU's Jason Caldwell as well (who is a stud)..
i realize Simonds and Knowlin have NFL aspirations.. curios tho who picked - requested those 2.. HC Masella (as a favor to them) or the nfl scouts who wanted also get a look at them. btw Steve Skelton is listed as a top 10 TE in 2011 nfl draft.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- some other tidbits on John Skelton recently
Adam Caplan for example has personally seen John Skelton play in several games and came away with a very favorable impression of him from his combine performance. In my opinion here is a very good overall assessment of how the QB's did at the combine. http://jac.scout.com/2/950150.html. I also think the NFL.com's scouting report on John is a fair one http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/john-skelton?id=497129

Senior Analyst at NFL.com, Pat Kirwan said this,
"I like Tony Pike a lot -- he did not have a great combine, but I like him on film. He has the college production, the size and the escapability to garner lots of interest in the second round. As for the Bills, I think he'd be a terific fit. But they may be looking at another name or two, like Dan Lefevour. More work has to be done on John Skelton of Fordham, who looked great at the combine -- he stole the show. Skelton is 6-5 3/8, 243. He ran a 4.89 in the 40 and threw the ball better than anyone in the combine drills. We'll have more on him on NFL.com before the draft."

Former NFL QB Jim Miller, now with Sirius NFL Radio offered his thoughts on the quarterbacks: “I thought players who helped themselves were John Skelton out of Fordham. He really threw the ball nice, nice release. He’s a big guy who can move. He and Dan LeFevour when they did the quarterback movement drills, I thought they knocked it out of the park. “Skelton can move. He impressed me. I don’t want to say he’s a Flacco or a Josh Freeman. But if you’re looking for a big guy who’s an athlete who can throw the football, he fits the bill. If I were a team, I’d probably go back and look at the college tape from Fordham. How was their offensive line? Did he have playmakers he was throwing to? But he has a powerful arm.”

Quick mention in USA Today, today. Former NFL QB and nfl.com radio analyst Jim Miller "Overall, as a consensus among coaches and GMs, this is a very weak, weak quarterback class," Miller says. "The kid I'm intrigued by is John Skelton of Fordham, a big kid who can move who has the best arm in this draft."I'm not saying he's Joe Flacco. I wouldn't say he's a first-rounder. But he's a big, strapping kid teams are going to be intrigued by."
Add intrigue to the questions.

Franks Tanks
March 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Hope John does well and represents Fordham and the PL in the NFL.

I think a lot of teams are intrigued by his size and raw ability. Hoepfully he will land somewhere and havea chance to develop a bit.

flea
March 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Good luck to him

flea
March 10th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Quarterback John Skelton highlighted the NFL Pro Day at Fordham University on Tuesday. The events open to the public held on Murphy field included the 40-yard dash, quarterback drills, lineman and defensive back drills. Fordham had several players work out including DB Isiejah Allen, DB Kelvin Colbert, DB James Crockett, WR Asa Lucas, OL Andrew Tyshovnytsky, and DL Darzell Wright.

Scouts from around the league represented the Jets, Giants, Packers, Saints, Colts, Chargers, Eagles, Browns, Bengals, Vikings and Bills among others.

John Skelton participated only in the passing drills. He threw to four different receivers that ran various routes on all parts of the field. He started out throwing to his left, then his right, mixing in some patterns rolling to each side. Most of his balls were on time, on target and had nice spirals. He got a good work out in, throwing over 100 balls and only taking a few short breaks for water.

After the workouts were finished, John Skelton and Fordham Head Coach Tom Masella talked about the day’s events.

Scouts declined to comment. Longer interviews with John and Coach Masella will be posted tomorrow and Thursday.

Interview here

http://www.wfuv.org/sports/blog/?p=107&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

smallcollegefbfan
March 10th, 2010, 05:00 PM
It would not surprise me to see him selected in the 3rd-4th round range. There is even some buzz that he could go in the second round.