PDA

View Full Version : May Frisco Become Fiasco After NCAA's Title-Game Decision

CSN Log
February 27th, 2010, 09:20 PM
02-27-2010 10:06 PM

More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/02/27/may-frisco-become-fiasco-after-ncaa-s-ti?blog=2)

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
The Chattanooga Times Free Press apparently does not even know the name of the title game they lost...

Not that I’m bitter or anything, but I personally hope the blizzard to end all blizzards hits Texas on Jan. 7, 2011. That the I-AA title game must not only battle the weather but a Cotton Bowl matchup featuring Texas and LSU on the same night. That the NHL’s Stars – which call Frisco home – also host a game that night. And that the NFL’s Cowboys host a playoff game the next day 20 miles away, all of which would surely turn Frisco into Fiasco.

Ultimately, Frisco won the battle of the dollars and at the end of the day, probably proved to the NCAA that there was more local interest in the game. Lost out for the same reason they probably lost the SEC WBB tournament. Times are changing...

Syntax Error
February 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM
02-27-2010 10:06 PM
More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/02/27/may-frisco-become-fiasco-after-ncaa-s-ti?blog=2)

Written by the same guy who asked Jerry Moore when ASU would go FBS, after ASU's first champ win.

Syntax Error
February 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
The Chattanooga Times Free Press apparently does not even know the name of the title game they lost...

Ultimately, Frisco won the battle of the dollars and at the end of the day, probably proved to the NCAA that there was more local interest in the game. Lost out for the same reason they probably lost the SEC WBB tournament. Times are changing...

That paper knows the name of the game, you posted the link here. Now this writer on the other hand...

Maybe you will elaborate on your knowledge that "Frisco won the battle of the dollars" and "proved to the NCAA that there was more local interest in the game." I don't think either is correct but maybe you can prove it.

Mr. C
February 27th, 2010, 10:57 PM

I guess you didn't read the part where the columnist wrote why he was calling it I-AA:

"Note to self: Yes, I know I’m supposed to write FCS title game, but what’s the NCAA going to do to us now, take the game away?"

Get a clue Terror. And how about a little balance in the pro-Southland stuff you've been writing?

TexasTerror
February 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Maybe you will elaborate on your knowledge that "Frisco won the battle of the dollars" and "proved to the NCAA that there was more local interest in the game." I don't think either is correct but maybe you can prove it.

According to the TFP...

"In its bid to keep the game, Chattanooga offered the NCAA a financial guarantee of $300,000. Frisco Mayor Maher Maso wouldn't disclose the financial details of the bid his group presented, but he said it was in the same ballpark as Chattanooga's."

That is the money upfront, but if the information pertaining to deals such as Southwest Airlines and a few of the other partnerships, sponsorships of national and regional nature hold true, it is evident how the experience for student-athletes and the backing of the game is much stronger in Frisco...

The Chatty folks put more emphasis on the economic impact of hosting and that the importance was not in filling a stadium....

"Smith didn't dispute that local sales have held steady around the 10,000 mark -- a record 10,651 were sold locally for the 2009 game -- but he said the point of hosting the game wasn't to fill the 20,668-seat facility with Chattanoogans."

The NCAA on the otherhand thought the total had plateaued (Leech made the remark to the TFP) and had other goals.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 28th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Not that I’m bitter or anything, but I personally hope the blizzard to end all blizzards hits Texas on Jan. 7, 2011. That the I-AA title game must not only battle the weather but a Cotton Bowl matchup featuring Texas and LSU on the same night. That the NHL’s Stars – which call Frisco home – also host a game that night. And that the NFL’s Cowboys host a playoff game the next day 20 miles away, all of which would surely turn Frisco into Fiasco.

xconfusedx

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/entry.php?55-Top-10-Reasons-Frisco-Was-Chosen-over-Chattanooga

8. This way, Dallas can at least crown one champion for the next three years, since it's not like the Cowboys, Stars or Mavericks are ever going to get it done.

5. The Cotton Bowl will need somewhere for the fans to go when they can't get scalped tickets to their non-championship game, and when they realize that a true champion is going to be crowned in Frisco they might just stay.

xlolx

Syntax Error
February 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
".. IF the information pertaining to deals such as Southwest Airlines and a few of the other partnerships, sponsorships of national and regional nature hold true, it is evident how the experience for student-athletes and the backing of the game is much stronger in Frisco...

The Chatty folks put more emphasis on the economic impact of hosting and that the importance was not in filling a stadium....

I don't think that the corporations like Southwest etc. had anything to do with the bids and I certasinly don't think that they have an impact on the student-athletes. JMO.

The bids will not become public knowledge so matter-of-factly stating what Chatty's bid emphasized can't be done.

TexasTerror
February 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I don't think that the corporations like Southwest etc. had anything to do with the bids and I certasinly don't think that they have an impact on the student-athletes. JMO.

No, but there are other factors that the Frisco bid had that I am sure added to the experience of the student-athlete that was in place that Chattanooga lacked...

Hopefully, the Div I title game has a 'bowl-like' feel to it with all the things expected of a major bowl game. While the bowl folks play for nothing, there will be something on the line and an experience for student-athletes, fans alike.

TexasTerror
March 1st, 2010, 03:04 PM
DallasNews.com continues to run the Chattanooga Times Free Press editorials...

http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/03/chattanooga-columnist-hopes-fr.html

Still waiting for the Chattanooga Times Free Press to stop the editorializing of the issue and actually publish some news with quotes about why Chattanooga lost to Frisco like Ralph's Rag did with the interview of Leech.