PDA

View Full Version : Why Ivy League Should Bring Back All-Star Game

CSN Log
February 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM
More... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/02/17/why-ivy-league-should-bring-back-all-sta?blog=2)

02-17-2010 05:26 PM

Syntax Error
February 18th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I like this idea.

Right now, the idea of another Ivy League football all-star is just that—an idea. What the Ivy League needs to understand is that a game like this could provide revenue while building the reputation of the league. Television networks would likely be interested in airing this game, and I’m fairly sure that with the powers of the Ivy League combined, the game could find a few sponsors. The game could also be a major boost for players with dreams of playing at the next level, as an Ivy League all-star game might coax out a few scouts to see what the league has to offer. If you’ve seen Ancient Eight football, you know that there are players in this league that have something to offer at the next level. Now they just need a venue in which to shine.

Bogus Megapardus
February 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM
xsmhx

It will never happen, just like the oft-proposed Ivy/PL championship game. Playing in Japan is one thing. But there's no way the players will put up with an intra-league all-star game in lieu of the Division 1 playoffs. The final excuse for non-participation will have disappeared.

The Ivy players and coaches deserve to participate in the playoffs and have every right to expect reasonable success once they do.

Syntax Error
February 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
xsmhx

It will never happen, just like the oft-proposed Ivy/PL championship game. Playing in Japan is one thing. But there's no way the players will put up with an intra-league all-star game in lieu of the Division 1 playoffs. The final excuse for non-participation will have disappeared.

The Ivy players and coaches deserve to participate in the playoffs and have every right to expect reasonable success once they do.

In lieu of of the D-I playoffs? The Ivies aren't going to be playoff bound in my lifetime but the all-star game has been done numerous times in my lifespan.

PantherRob82
February 18th, 2010, 11:54 PM
xsmhx

I agree, the best place for them to showcase themselves is in the playoffs. May never happen, but I would love it.

Syntax Error
February 19th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I agree, the best place for them to showcase themselves is in the playoffs. May never happen, but I would love it.

It would be even better in the Super Bowl... but the subject here is the all-star game. I would love to see a playoff game at Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Penn etc. but let's get real as the article says. This all-star game is realistic. xhurrayx

PantherRob82
February 19th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Where have they played the all-star games in the past?

Bogus Megapardus
February 19th, 2010, 07:10 AM

The games were played, I believe, in Osaka and they took place in March during spring break as a cultural opportunity for the players (and exposure for the colleges, of course).

DJOM
February 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I should also win the lottery so I can retire to some beautiful island. Neither is gonna happen.

Syntax Error
February 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM

From the link (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2010/02/17/why-ivy-league-should-bring-back-all-sta?blog=2):
...there was a series of Ivy League all-star games from 1989-1996. After an unofficially sanctioned game was held between Ivy League all-stars and Japanese all-stars in Yokohama, Japan in 1989, the series became official in June 1990, when the Council of Ivy Group Presidents approved an annual contest dubbed the Epson Ivy Bowl. The game was played each year in Japan, pitting a team of Ivy League seniors against a squad of Japanese all-stars. As one might expect, the Ivy League team won all games against the Japanese all-star teams, including the final game in 1996. ...The article suggests some changes though. Moving it to the USA, allowing underclassmen to play in it, playing it during bowl season, having two Ivy squads play each other, were all floated. Sounds good to me!

Lehigh Football Nation
March 1st, 2010, 04:05 PM
Having an Ivy all-star game would not only continue the hermit kingdom's extended isolation from the rest of Division I athletics, it would also be the height of hypocrisy. You're going to prevent your kids from playing for a championship, but you're going to create a postseason exhibition game that almost nobody is interested in with the possible exception of draftniks and Ivy hardcores? And for what, so the Ivy League "postseason ban" can remain intact for exactly one sport?

I'm all for "creating interest" in FCS football. But it ought to be done in a way that seeks to include the greater FCS community, not further retreat from it.

DFW HOYA
March 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Having an Ivy all-star game would not only continue the hermit kingdom's extended isolation from the rest of Division I athletics, it would also be the height of hypocrisy.

Be careful--someone at Ivy headquarters might try to talk the PL presidents into an all-PL team as the opponents.

Bogus Megapardus
March 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM
Be careful--someone at Ivy headquarters might try to talk the PL presidents into an all-PL team as the opponents.

Amazing how quickly it could become a splendid idea, isn't it?

Ivytalk
March 2nd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Interesting idea from the guy at the Columbia Spectator, but I doubt that it will catch on. The focus should remain on the FCS playoffs.xpeacex