PDA

View Full Version : SouthernPigskin's ranks SoCon recruiting classes

The Cats
February 11th, 2010, 05:08 PM
The Southern Pigskin.com staff ranked the Southern Conference recruiting classes.... WCU's class was picked #1. xhurrayx

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/socon_recruiting_rankings/

blukeys
February 11th, 2010, 06:07 PM
The Southern Pigskin.com staff ranked the Southern Conference recruiting classes.... WCU's class was picked #1. xhurrayx

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/socon_recruiting_rankings/

Aren't they always ranked number 1???? It never seems to get them anywhere.

PaladinFan
February 12th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Ranking recruits in the FCS is pretty random, I think. Every school will tell you they like their class.

WCU LawCat
February 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Actually, Southern Pigskin does not usually rank WCU #1 or near the top. That is rivals who goes off stars. I think a lot of thigs are taken into account with recruit class rankings. WCu signed a wide variety of good talent to improve the team talent and depth. Teams like APP and ELON are recruiting needs. Sometimes when you recruit needs it hurts your "class ranking."

I think this years WCU class is truely a very good class. Previous rankings have been linked to rivals.com and scout.com

phoenix3
February 12th, 2010, 08:17 PM
xwhistlex ZZZzzzzzz

Talk to me about how great any recruiting class is in three years.

The Cats
February 12th, 2010, 09:38 PM
xwhistlex ZZZzzzzzz

Talk to me about how great any recruiting class is in three years.

I guess this rant has nothing to do with the Phoenix class being ranked 7th....... of 9 classes. xrulesx

Horseshoe App
February 13th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Actually, Southern Pigskin does not usually rank WCU #1 or near the top. That is rivals who goes off stars. I think a lot of thigs are taken into account with recruit class rankings. WCu signed a wide variety of good talent to improve the team talent and depth. Teams like APP and ELON are recruiting needs. Sometimes when you recruit needs it hurts your "class ranking."

I think this years WCU class is truely a very good class. Previous rankings have been linked to rivals.com and scout.com

This is a very good analysis. If you look at App's class, which most services say is one of the best in our division, it is heavy with offensive and defensive lineman. Last year's was loaded with db's and receivers/running backs. Western's cupboard was left pretty bare from the previous regime. I am glad to see Western is starting to get the talent to be competitive again. Coach Wagner is definitely a hard worker. I think Western will start seeing good results soon.xthumbsdownx Just kidding!!

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
This is a very good analysis. If you look at App's class, which most services say is one of the best in our division, it is heavy with offensive and defensive lineman. Last year's was loaded with db's and receivers/running backs. Western's cupboard was left pretty bare from the previous regime. I am glad to see Western is starting to get the talent to be competitive again. Coach Wagner is definitely a hard worker. I think Western will start seeing good results soon.xthumbsdownx Just kidding!!

Agreed.

Furman was ranked last and was simply recruiting needs. We only handed out 14 scholarships and most went to offensive and defensive linemen.

The Cats
February 13th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Agreed.

Furman was ranked last and was simply recruiting needs..

What's with the Lamb quote..... “We had the faxes in early,” Lamb added. “Once we get our kids committed, it's very unlikely that something happens to them, because we are dealing with a different clientele than most of those other schools. It's always great to get them in early, so we can cruise the rest of the day.” xchinscratchx

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM
What's with the Lamb quote..... “We had the faxes in early,” Lamb added. “Once we get our kids committed, it's very unlikely that something happens to them, because we are dealing with a different clientele than most of those other schools. It's always great to get them in early, so we can cruise the rest of the day.” xchinscratchx

Not sure.

It's no secret that Furman recruits different clientele than most other SoCon Schools do to academic standards. My guess is he was just saying that they recruited good kids who were sold on Furman and had no intention of changing their mind.

It's an odd comment, but while Lamb has earned a reputation for popping off at officials during a game, he's never been anything of completely complimentary (to my knowledge) of other programs and coahces. Just on my knowledge of Lamb, I don't think that comment was meant to slight any other schools rather than building up his own recruits.

seantaylor
February 13th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Any class rankings for our level are complete bogus. Back in Paul Johnson's day, I remember WCU, Furman, and Chatty would all have higher ranked recruiting classes. Then I looked on the field and saw AP, Greg Hill, Chaz Williams, Mark Williams, Michael Ward, etc against the players from those schools and thought who was the absolute idiot that ranked these classes.

This year's GSU class is loaded with speed. I like our class a ton.

Horseshoe App
February 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Any class rankings for our level are complete bogus. Back in Paul Johnson's day, I remember WCU, Furman, and Chatty would all have higher ranked recruiting classes. Then I looked on the field and saw AP, Greg Hill, Chaz Williams, Mark Williams, Michael Ward, etc against the players from those schools and thought who was the absolute idiot that ranked these classes.

I finally agree with Seantaylor:D. Ranking classes are next to impossible at our level. I just hope our class is better than my two favorite teams, Furman and Georgia Souhernxpeacex

phoenix3
February 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I guess this rant has nothing to do with the Phoenix class being ranked 7th....... of 9 classes. xrulesx

Actually, it has to do with observations over the years of recruiting classes being touted as "top" or "best" and their team continues to lose even after learning the system for a couple of years. I think most would agree that you never know what you're getting until a couple of years down the road except transfers, which in many cases wash out within 1 year. As far as Elon's class goes, all I will say is that I'm satisfied with what we got. Lembo is very disciplined in just about every aspect of the job, but especially in recruiting. We recruited what we needed, we recruited players that have the best possibility of making grades & staying in school and we didn't go after anyone just because a group of reporters gave them some stars.

Saint3333
February 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Not sure.

It's no secret that Furman recruits different clientele than most other SoCon Schools do to academic standards. My guess is he was just saying that they recruited good kids who were sold on Furman and had no intention of changing their mind.

It's an odd comment, but while Lamb has earned a reputation for popping off at officials during a game, he's never been anything of completely complimentary (to my knowledge) of other programs and coahces. Just on my knowledge of Lamb, I don't think that comment was meant to slight any other schools rather than building up his own recruits.

Lamb made a derogatory post-game comment about AE just two years ago about how he can't recruit kids like that so I would disagree with this comment. AE went on to graduate in 3 1/2 years with many dean's list appearances. Ever since that comment I lost respect for Lamb. I do however hope Furman keeps him.xsmiley_wix

The Cats
February 13th, 2010, 11:48 PM
As far as Elon's class goes, all I will say is that I'm satisfied with what we got.

You might as well be satisfied......

As far as rankings goes.... it's just grading potential. We all know what potential gets you, some guys live up to their potential, others.... well they let things get in the way.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Lamb made a derogatory post-game comment about AE just two years ago about how he can't recruit kids like that so I would disagree with this comment. AE went on to graduate in 3 1/2 years with many dean's list appearances. Ever since that comment I lost respect for Lamb. I do however hope Furman keeps him.xsmiley_wix

Never heard the comment. It's no secret Furman is limited in their recruiting.

I'm not defending him, of course. Just mentioning that he's not known to just make asanine comments about other programs like some FCS coaches (Mickey Matthews and that guy at Delaware).

Saint3333
February 14th, 2010, 08:02 AM
That one time was enough for me. Just a lame excuse for why ASU won that day. It was very unprofessional, but with his actions on the field I guess we shouldn't be surprised. I respect Furman University and the football program, but I don't respect Lamb.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM
That one time was enough for me. Just a lame excuse for why ASU won that day. It was very unprofessional, but with his actions on the field I guess we shouldn't be surprised. I respect Furman University and the football program, but I don't respect Lamb.

You are entitled to your opinion, certainly.

ThompsonThe
February 14th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Actually we have a good group of coaches in the SoCon.

I dislike Lembo for his injury tactics.

Lamb upsets a lot of people because he really gets into the games, and complains a lot to the refs. Truthfully, I would complain also if I thought my team was wronged.

Don't know a lot about GaSo coach since his first year. Must have been a good
assistant though since he worked for a ASU & WCU grad.

CID1990
February 14th, 2010, 09:10 PM

Somebody bookmark this post.

An accurate comment from seantaylor with no snark or hyperbole.

SpeedkingATL
February 15th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Actually we have a good group of coaches in the SoCon.

I dislike Lembo for his injury tactics.

Lamb upsets a lot of people because he really gets into the games, and complains a lot to the refs. Truthfully, I would complain also if I thought my team was wronged.

Don't know a lot about GaSo coach since his first year. Must have been a good
assistant though since he worked for a ASU & WCU grad.

If I had to coach a SoCon team I would do exactly what Lamb does....the SoCon officials are terrible....not bias....just terrible. I kind of enjoy his antics and hope he coaches at Furman for eternity.

I do think the SoCon has some good coaches, Lembo being one of the best.xtwocentsx

OL FU
February 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM

I think Lamb has tremendous respect for Moore from past comments he has made but I don't think it is any secret from past comments that he doesn't like ASU. I wonder whyxbawlingx