PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Manuel Watch - 2010 Edition

GannonFan
January 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Just saw that we didn't have one started yet for the new year. Already have a thread devoted to the Mets woes, so just really rounding out the options.

Everything on track for a hopeful 4th straight NL East title. Polanco is a bat upgrade over Feliz, and not a terrible dropoff with the glove. And now we get a whole year out of an ace, Halladay, than we got with just 2 months of one last year with the departed Lee. Hopefully last year was the aberration for Hamels, who was a victim of that Verducci Effect syndrome (pitchers under 25 who see a big increase in IP from one year to the next), and hopefully a bullpen comes together. Lidge just had his knee scoped, and that might have him miss opening day, but he had knee surgery before his 2008 season and we'd be so lucky to see a repeat of that year.

All in all, we are living in the perhaps only Golden Age of Phillies baseball (well, maybe 2nd if you count the late 70's to early 80's time) - I'm just trying to breathe as much as it in as possible. xthumbsupx

UNCBears2010
January 15th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I could see the Phillies facing the Rockies in the playoffs for the third time in four years, only in the 2010 NLCS this time.

93henfan
January 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM
hopefully a bullpen comes together

That's my biggest concern. 22 blown saves in 2009. Looking on the bright side, I doubt Lidge could get much worse than he was last season (and he wasn't the only one blowing games - only 11 of the BSv's belonged to him).

Ivytalk
January 15th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hamels has to get his head together and, as 93 says, the bullpen has to come through. Madson coughed up a few games last year as well.

ngineer
January 15th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Yes, the middle bullpen is where the focus is now with the Phils parting ways with Condrey, Eyre and Park. Baez should be okay, and perhaps some of the young arms in the minors are close to ready (Mathieson, Zagurski coming back from surgery,and a couple others)/

GannonFan
January 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Yes, the middle bullpen is where the focus is now with the Phils parting ways with Condrey, Eyre and Park. Baez should be okay, and perhaps some of the young arms in the minors are close to ready (Mathieson, Zagurski coming back from surgery,and a couple others)/

Bullpens are always a roll of the dice - the Phils brought back basically everyone from the '08 pen that was the best in the majors in 20 years and then stuggled with the pen in '09. I liked Eyre and Park (Condrey was another matter) but they didn't want to give Eyre a lot of money and Park really wants to start, even though he's not a very good starter. The two guys you mention, plus Bastardo, are good enough to have in the pen - as good as anyone else we'll find for middle relief.

ngineer
February 11th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Not sure where we left off with Phillies moves before "the crash", but I'm still pretty optimistic about the PHils chances for another visit to the WS.xnodx