PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Leadership Council forms membership recommendations

CSN Log
January 15th, 2010, 11:20 AM
01-15-2010 12:16 PM

NCAA Leadership Council forms membership recommendations

ATLANTA −The Division I Leadership Council will forward a report to the Board of Directors this spring that recommends standards for new Division I members, including a path that requires five years as a member of Division II, a bona fide offer of membership in a Division I conference, and an application fee equal to the average annual value of distributions and championships benefits realized by Division I members.

The Council completed an 18-month-long study of the issue, prompted by a four-year moratorium on new members instituted by the Board in August 2007. The Leadership Council, formed in summer 2008, was charged with creating a set of recommendations that could be introduced as legislative proposals in the 2010-11 legislative cycle for approval before the moratorium expires in 2011.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2010/01/15/ncaa-leadership-council-forms-membership?blog=2#more6061)

Syntax Error
January 15th, 2010, 01:42 PM
wowza!

MplsBison
January 15th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I thought I also saw something about getting rid of "core" members which would then kill the 7-6-5 rule for conference auto-bid eligibility.

Thought I saw something like they were going to make a new recommendation for conference rules like continuity.

darell1976
January 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I thought I also saw something about getting rid of "core" members which would then kill the 7-6-5 rule for conference auto-bid eligibility.
Thought I saw something like they were going to make a new recommendation for conference rules like continuity.

Whats that??xconfusedx

Syntax Error
January 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Whats that??xconfusedx

7 years of D-I to be a core member (2 years in the conference), 6 core members for a conference to qualify for an AQ, 5 year divisional transition?

darell1976
January 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
7 years of D-I to be a core member (2 years in the conference), 6 core members for a conference to qualify for an AQ, 5 year divisional transition?

Thanksxthumbsupx

BEAR
January 15th, 2010, 07:16 PM
5 year divisional transition sucks! xbangxxbangxxbangx

49RFootballNow
January 15th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Nothing on rules for moving from FCS to FBS?

Isn't that also part of the moratorium?

Syntax Error
January 16th, 2010, 06:00 AM
5 year divisional transition sucks! xbangxxbangxxbangx

So much change needs that much time to get things right.

MplsBison
January 16th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Whats that??xconfusedx

The old conference continuity rule was that a conferences has to maintain a membership including 7 "core" DI members, 6 of which have to have been together for at least 5 years.

Otherwise, a conference is not eligible for an auto bid to NCAA tournaments.

Now, it sounds like they will kill the "core" member thing and make a new definition for maintaining AQ status.

Syntax Error
January 17th, 2010, 07:30 AM
The old conference continuity rule was that a conferences has to maintain a membership including 7 "core" DI members, 6 of which have to have been together for at least 5 years.

Otherwise, a conference is not eligible for an auto bid to NCAA tournaments.

Now, it sounds like they will kill the "core" member thing and make a new definition for maintaining AQ status.

I think the current rule requires a conference have SIX members who have been playing together in the conference for TWO years.
18.5.1 Division Championship.

To be eligible for automatic qualification into any Division I championship, a conference shall: (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

(a) Have at least six member institutions classified in Division I in the sport in which automatic qualification is sought; and

(b) Meet all requirements for conference automatic qualification into any division championship as set forth in Bylaw 31.3.4. (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

31.3.4.2 Requirements -- National Collegiate Championship.

To be eligible for automatic qualification in National Collegiate Championship, a member conference must meet the following general requirements: (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

(a) Have at least six active members that sponsor the applicable sport in any division (note: a provisional member in the process of becoming an NCAA member cannot be used to meet the requisite number);

(b) The six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two years in the applicable sport;

(c) There shall be no waivers of the two-year waiting period; and

(d) Any new member added to a conference that is eligible for an automatic bid shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifier.