PDA

View Full Version : City of Frisco, Southland Conference to Host NCAA Site Survey Team

CSN Log
January 6th, 2010, 08:00 AM
01-06-2010 08:55 AM

City of Frisco, Southland Conference to Host NCAA Site Survey Team

FRISCO, Texas - In its effort to serve as host of the 2010-12 NCAA Division I Football Championship Games, the City of Frisco will host an NCAA site survey team Wednesday and Thursday. In November, Frisco was named a finalist for the future national title games, which would be played at Pizza Hut Park, the city’s 22,500-seat multi-purpose stadium.

The site survey group, a combination of NCAA national office staff and select members of the Division I Football Championship Committee, will tour Pizza Hut Park, the city’s hotels and convention space, as well as other attractions. The city, in tandem with the Southland Conference, Hunt Sports Group, LLC/Pizza Hut Park, and Frisco’s Economic Development Corporation, its Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, and Chamber of Commerce, submitted a bid package to the NCAA in October. The Southland, headquartered in Frisco since 2006, would serve as the host conference for the games.

“This is the next step in the process, and we are very pleased and feel fortunate to have the NCAA group visit and see the great things happening in Frisco,” Southland Conference commissioner Tom Burnett said. “Our collective partnership in the city has been outstanding, and we look forward to sharing our vision with the NCAA to provide game participants and spectators with the best possible national championship experience.”

Frisco, located just 20 minutes north of Dallas, is less than a half hour from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, home of American Airlines, and Dallas Love Field, home of Southwest Airlines. The city is known as one of the fastest-growing areas in the nation, and has become a sports-oriented community in the last decade. In addition to Pizza Hut Park, home to FC Dallas of Major League Soccer, Frisco is also home to the 8,800-seat Dr Pepper Ballpark, home of the Texas League’s Frisco RoughRiders. The NHL’s Dallas Stars headquarter and train in Frisco, and a new NBA Development League team will begin play in the city’s 5,000-seat Dr Pepper Arena, also home to the Texas Tornado of the North American Hockey League. Also, the U.S. Youth Soccer Association is based in Frisco.

Burnett added that Frisco officials will have an opportunity to make a final presentation before the football committee in late February, with a final decision due in early March. “We hope to show the committee what we believe are the advantages of having the event in a destination market of 6.5 million people, with unmatched national air service into two major airports, superb lodging, world-class shopping opportunities and countless other attractions,” he said.

Chattanooga, Tenn., the host city for the NCAA championship game since 1997, is the other finalist. The contest was formerly known as the NCAA Division I-AA Championship Game prior to the 2006 season.

Southland Media Relations
http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&amp (http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&amp)http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/rsc/smilies/graysmilewinkgrin.gifB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=204865352

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Glad we have more of a time frame known - "final decision due in early March".

Seems that everyone was throwing around a time frame, but not we know when the decision is to be made. I really think Frisco, TX can do a great job with this game in partnership with the Southland Conference.

putter
January 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Glad we have more of a time frame known - "final decision due in early March".

Seems that everyone was throwing around a time frame, but not we know when the decision is to be made. I really think Frisco, TX can do a great job with this game in partnership with the Southland Conference.

I think Frisco will put in an excellent bid. I am curious, despite the 6.5 million metro area population, will Dallas/FW area care for anything that is not FBS?

TexasTerror
January 6th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I think Frisco will put in an excellent bid. I am curious, despite the 6.5 million metro area population, will Dallas/FW area care for anything that is not FBS?

If the SLC is doing what they are capable of and getting some major corporate sponsorship/help in promoting this game, I really think they can market the game well to drive attendance, interest...

Rekdiver
January 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Good, its 21 degrees there.........Maybe they will consider a warmer climate stadium like the big boys get..........

Rekdiver
January 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
ALTHOUGH I beleive its warmer there than Chatty right now....

89Hen
January 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
The $64,000 question. My guess.... no.

But kudos to the city and the Southland for giving it their all. xthumbsupx

MplsBison
January 7th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Does anyone in Tennessee care about anything other than FBS? Memphis, UT, Vandy, MTSU?

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

89Hen
January 7th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Does anyone in Tennessee care about anything other than FBS? Memphis, UT, Vandy, MTSU?
Ahhh, the old, tired "it's no worse" arguement for moving the game. xthumbsdownx

MplsBison
January 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Ahhh, the old, tired "it's no worse" arguement for moving the game. xthumbsdownx

Arguement: no one in Texas cares about FCS.

Counter-argument: no one in Tennessee cares about FCS.

Debate or cop-out, your choice.

TexasTerror
January 7th, 2010, 05:07 PM

And they do in Las Vegas or Minneapolis?

The Division I title game will succeed with the help of corporate partners who are interested in investing in the promotion and marketing of the game. The Southland Conference has several of these partners lined up to lend a hand and make this a great experience.

It is obvious that one can not rely on fan travel each year based on opponents and the lack of preparation time for fans.

MR. CHICKEN
January 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM
01-06-2010 08:55 AM

City of Frisco, Southland Conference to Host NCAA Site Survey Team

FRISCO, Texas - In its effort to serve as host of the 2010-12 NCAA Division I Football Championship Games, the City of Frisco will host an NCAA site survey team Wednesday and Thursday. In November, Frisco was named a finalist for the future national title games, which would be played at Pizza Hut Park, the city’s 22,500-seat multi-purpose stadium.

The site survey group, a combination of NCAA national office staff and select members of the Division I Football Championship Committee, will tour Pizza Hut Park, the city’s hotels and convention space, as well as other attractions. The city, in tandem with the Southland Conference, Hunt Sports Group, LLC/Pizza Hut Park, and Frisco’s Economic Development Corporation, its Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, and Chamber of Commerce, submitted a bid package to the NCAA in October. The Southland, headquartered in Frisco since 2006, would serve as the host conference for the games.

“This is the next step in the process, and we are very pleased and feel fortunate to have the NCAA group visit and see the great things happening in Frisco,” Southland Conference commissioner Tom Burnett said. “Our collective partnership in the city has been outstanding, and we look forward to sharing our vision with the NCAA to provide game participants and spectators with the best possible national championship experience.”

Frisco, located just 20 minutes north of Dallas, is less than a half hour from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, home of American Airlines, and Dallas Love Field, home of Southwest Airlines. The city is known as one of the fastest-growing areas in the nation, and has become a sports-oriented community in the last decade. In addition to Pizza Hut Park, home to FC Dallas of Major League Soccer, Frisco is also home to the 8,800-seat Dr Pepper Ballpark, home of the Texas League’s Frisco RoughRiders. The NHL’s Dallas Stars headquarter and train in Frisco, and a new NBA Development League team will begin play in the city’s 5,000-seat Dr Pepper Arena, also home to the Texas Tornado of the North American Hockey League. Also, the U.S. Youth Soccer Association is based in Frisco.

Burnett added that Frisco officials will have an opportunity to make a final presentation before the football committee in late February, with a final decision due in early March. “We hope to show the committee what we believe are the advantages of having the event in a destination market of 6.5 million people, with unmatched national air service into two major airports, superb lodging, world-class shopping opportunities and countless other attractions,” he said.

Chattanooga, Tenn., the host city for the NCAA championship game since 1997, is the other finalist. The contest was formerly known as the NCAA Division I-AA Championship Game prior to the 2006 season.

Southland Media Relations
http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&amphttp://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/rsc/smilies/graysmilewinkgrin.gifB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=204865352

WILL DERE BE HOOKERS....xconfusedx....YA'LL GOT UH CHOO-CHOO....xconfusedx....UH FISH TANK....xconfusedx....BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM

xlolx First off, you have it backwards. My stating nobody in Texas cares about I-AA is the counter to the claims that it would be a sellout.

Your stance is the ULTIMATE cop out. The game has been in Chatty. It's been a pretty good success. I can only assume you want to improve it by moving it. Making the arguement that local support in Frisco would be no worse than Chatty is NOT a reason to move it. xrulesx

MplsBison
January 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM
And they do in Las Vegas or Minneapolis?

The Division I title game will succeed with the help of corporate partners who are interested in investing in the promotion and marketing of the game. The Southland Conference has several of these partners lined up to lend a hand and make this a great experience.

It is obvious that one can not rely on fan travel each year based on opponents and the lack of preparation time for fans.

Agreed 100%.

And in Mpls I can say with certainty that they care about the U of MN and no one else.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
xlolx First off, you have it backwards. My stating nobody in Texas cares about I-AA is the counter to the claims that it would be a sellout.

Your stance is the ULTIMATE cop out. The game has been in Chatty. It's been a pretty good success. I can only assume you want to improve it by moving it. Making the arguement that local support in Frisco would be no worse than Chatty is NOT a reason to move it. xrulesx

So then, you freely admit that no one in TN gives a rip about FCS teams and that the only reason attendance has been good in Chatty is due to the traveling fan bases of the teams playing.

Thought so.

TexasTerror
January 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Agreed 100%.

So, you agree if the Southland lines up the appropriate corporate sponsors and organizations to assist in the promotion of the game, that it can succeed?

I think the Southland and Frisco, Texas has those pieces of the puzzle, they just do not want to show their hand. Does Chattanooga have all those same pieces? Do any other city that applied have those pieces?

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
So then, you freely admit that no one in TN gives a rip about FCS teams and that the only reason attendance has been good in Chatty is due to the traveling fan bases of the teams playing.

Thought so.
You don't know the difference between "no worse" and "no one"? xconfusedx xlolx

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
So, you agree if the Southland lines up the appropriate corporate sponsors and organizations to assist in the promotion of the game, that it can succeed?

I think the Southland and Frisco, Texas has those pieces of the puzzle, they just do not want to show their hand.
Throwing around names like Pizza Hut Park and Dr Pepper Arena does NOT mean corporate sponsors are lined up. Just sounds good to throw in such names. IMO it's sounds more like that's what they're doing.

TexasTerror
January 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Throwing around names like Pizza Hut Park and Dr Pepper Arena does NOT mean corporate sponsors are lined up. Just sounds good to throw in such names. IMO it's sounds more like that's what they're doing.

I am not speaking of Pizza Hut Park and Dr Pepper Arena.

Reports are that the Southland and Frisco, Texas have lined up some corporate support that will help in their efforts of landing the game. I think the SLC is presenting this info to the committee, but not showing their "hand" publicly, if you get what I am saying...

MplsBison
January 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM
You don't know the difference between "no worse" and "no one"? xconfusedx xlolx

Thanks for confirming you have nothing other than emotional appeals and personal attacks.

See ya in Frisco! xsmileyclapx

MplsBison
January 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM

I think the Southland and Frisco, Texas has those pieces of the puzzle, they just do not want to show their hand. Does Chattanooga have all those same pieces? Do any other city that applied have those pieces?

I agree that getting corporate support can only help the profile of the game.

Bowls did it, we should too.

But certainly nothing is going to help the profile of the game more than getting it out of a small, mountain town and into a large market.

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for confirming you have nothing other than emotional appeals and personal attacks.
xconfusedx No emotion and nothing personal in there. Nice try. xthumbsdownx

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
But certainly nothing is going to help the profile of the game more than getting it out of a small, mountain town and into a large market.
Why? You seriously think people in Dallas will even know this game is up the road in Frisco?

MplsBison
January 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
xconfusedx No emotion and nothing personal in there. Nice try. xthumbsdownx

"Do you even know..." sounds like a personal attack to me.

MplsBison
January 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Why? You seriously think people in Dallas will even know this game is up the road in Frisco?

Yes.

And, more importantly, they can actually do something about it! Dallas to Frisco 29 mi. Anywhere to Chatty, hundreds of miles.

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Yes.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Ronbo
January 9th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Just did a Missoula roundtrip to Dallas and Chattanooga on CheapTickets.

One week advance booking.

Dallas depart on Thusday and return on Saturday. $714
Chattanooga depart on Thursday return on Saturday. $1021

JohnStOnge
January 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
No way to know without doing it but I think you probably would, at least at first, see an uptick in local attendance if the game were moved to Frisco. It's true that there's a lot less interest in FCS football in Texas than there is in FBS football. It's even true that there's a lot more interest in High School football in Texas than there is in FCS football. But it's all relative within the State. I think there's more interest in football in general in Texas than there is in Tennessee and, also, it's a larger metropolitan area.

89Hen
January 9th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Both prohibitive for most fans. Chances to have at least one school within driving distance is essential.

Keenan
January 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM

Won't there be more than one week to make plans next year? When are the playoffs scheduled to begin/end?

lionsrking2
January 9th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Both prohibitive for most fans. Chances to have at least one school within driving distance is essential.

The prices quoted are from Missoula...would be much cheaper from larger airports with non-stop flights to DFW...I personally like Chattanooga and wouldn't be opposed to keeping it there, but Frisco would be a huge upgrade IMO.

Syntax Error
January 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Why does Google maps say Frisco is up to 1 1/2 hours driving time from Dallas? That is the same amount of time they give for Atlanta to Chatty.

McNeese75
January 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Why does Google maps say Frisco is up to 1 1/2 hours driving time from Dallas? That is the same amount of time they give for Atlanta to Chatty.

Mapquest shows DFW to Frisco as being 37 miles or 30 minutes away.

Love Field is 27 miles or 30 minutes away.

Syntax Error
January 10th, 2010, 02:56 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=frisco%20to%20dallas%20&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl
Suggested routes
Dallas North Tollway S
28.7 mi 34 mins
1 hour 30 mins in traffic

US-75 S
33.0 mi 40 mins
1 hour 20 mins in traffic

I-35E S
39.6 mi 45 mins
1 hour 30 mins in traffic

slycat
January 10th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I've lived by DFW airport and gone to games at Pizza Hut Park.

The drive is not that bad. I say give it a shot and if it doesn't work then move it again.

McNeese75
January 10th, 2010, 12:19 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=frisco%20to%20dallas%20&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Well, if you fly into Atlanta during rush hour (which is the Frisco traffic times shown on google maps) you can probably add at least an hour to that 1 hour 50 minute drive time to Chatty.

lionsrking2
January 10th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Well, if you fly into Atlanta during rush hour (which is the Frisco traffic times shown on google maps) you can probably add at least an hour to that 1 hour 50 minute drive time to Chatty.

More like two extra hours...I've done it before, in both directions.

MplsBison
January 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I've lived by DFW airport and gone to games at Pizza Hut Park.

The drive is not that bad. I say give it a shot and if it doesn't work then move it again.

That's the biggest thing for me too. Why not give them a shot?

89 and others here are pretending like if the game moves away from Chatty, even for just a single season, that FCS football will be banished from the face of the earth.

Lets try something new. If it doesn't work, fine, it doesn't work. We can always go back.

McNeese75
January 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM
More like two extra hours...I've done it before, in both directions.

I have a Son in Alpharetta and know all too well how bad that afternoon northbound traffic is xbangx

lionsrking2
January 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I have a Son in Alpharetta and know all too well how bad that afternoon northbound traffic is xbangx

It's never good.

Syntax Error
January 10th, 2010, 10:29 PM
If it doesn't work, fine, it doesn't work. We can always go back.I can understand why people in the Southland want the game and people who have never been to one are just clueless, but change for the sake of change is not really a good thing. Maybe we can't "always go back" to a place where it works now. I hope if the game moves to Frisco that we can count on 10K locals showing up. There is no indication that is the case but we can hope. Given champ games in the past there is a problem of forcing people to fly instead of drive. So it will all be in the hands of locals whether it works or not. xcoffeex

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Frisco would be a huge upgrade IMO.
Lay out your case.

spdram
January 11th, 2010, 07:47 AM
That's the biggest thing for me too. Why not give them a shot?

89 and others here are pretending like if the game moves away from Chatty, even for just a single season, that FCS football will be banished from the face of the earth.

Lets try something new. If it doesn't work, fine, it doesn't work. We can always go back.

I didn't think it was possible to do a one year contract. If I were a competing City (Frisco or any other) I wouldn't bid on anything less than a 2 year contract.

I'm not enamoured with Chatty although I think they do a great job, but I do think if it requires a great number of the fan base of a school to fly you can expect an empty stadium unless the locals fill it up. If the locals make the bulk of the crowd expect a dead stadium atmosphere. Neither of which is good for FCS football.

The great news about FCS is we have a true Championship Playoff system, the bad news is we have a playoff system. Because the fan base is having to travel up to for four (any maybe five weeks) in the future, there will be fewer than can come off the funds necessary to make an expensive trip. (FBS teams have one game/trip to plan and pay for, FCS has up to four and maybe five in the future)

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Lay out your case.
Thought maybe I should summarize mine since I asked you to...

- If you went back to November 2007 or earlier, you'd know that I was on the bandwagon for moving the game away from Chatty. Then I went to the game in 2007 and it completely changed my opinion. Keep in mind that the Hens LOST in 2007 so I could have very easily been bittered on the whole experience. Having been there I am for the game remaining there. I've been on both sides of the arguement and I know that I was wrong before.

- The game was the lead story on the local TV news that night. It was the front page headline story in the newspaper. I met locals who didn't even go to the game but came down to the bars to be a part of the action. If you move the game to a place like Frisco, it will NOT be the lead story. It will NOT be the headline. I'm going to have to go ahead and assume that Frisco does not have their own TV stations and that they pick up the Dallas networks? This game will be played the same day as the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. It will not even be the biggest football game in town, let alone the lead story.

- It still baffles me that anyone can dismiss the central location question. In the last seven years the NC game has featured:

CAA - 6
AppSt - 3
Montana - 3
UNI - 1
Colgate - 1

The furthest CAA team during this time was UMass. Amherst to Chatty is 1,000 miles which means most fans would have to fly. Not a great option. The closest CAA team to Frisco would be JMU at 1,200 miles. This means EVERY CAA fan would have to fly. That's 43% of the participants of the last 7 years. AppSt is closer to Frisco than any of the CAA teams... 1,000 miles. Montana = 1,600 miles, they're flying anywhere the game is outside of the state of Montana. The only team in the last 7 years that is actually drivable for a game in Frisco is UNI at 800 miles. Of course it's only 700 miles from UNI to Chatty.

It doesn't matter that flights to Dallas are marginally cheaper than flights to Atlanta... for SOME (it's actually $70 more for me to fly to DFW than ATL). When you make it so fans have to fly to get to the game, you are going to lose a LOT of fans. You can try to show that by the time you pay for gas, wear on your car, etc... but that doesn't matter. There are just a lot of people who when they find out they have to fly for a football game... WON'T.

The most highly attended games have always been when at least one of the teams is close to the game. That will never change. Wouldn't it make sense to keep it somewhere where you have the best chance of having a team close to the game? If Weber plays UNH, it doesn't matter if the game is in Frisco or Chatty, either would be poorly attended (no offense to Wildcat fans of either team). Your only real chance to have a game in Frisco be better attended is if one of the Southland schools makes it (I'm sure one of them will in the near future). HOWEVER, there's a pretty darn good chance it would be against a CAA or SoCon team which means it most likely be equal to attendance at Chatty. This isn't arrogance on the part of a CAA fan, this is odds.

lionsrking2
January 11th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Lay out your case.

It's been laid out quite well by many others in countless numbers of threads on the issue...not sure there's much more I can add...besides, it's my opinion, having been to both places. I like Chattanooga, and wouldn't be opposed to it staying there if that's what the committee chooses, but it can't compete with Frisco as far as stadium, hotels, restaurants, airport access, etc...not sure if you've ever been to Frisco, but you might want to try visiting before dismissing it as an option.

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 08:37 AM
It's been laid out quite well by many others in countless numbers of threads on the issue...
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Most of the arguements for those in favor of Frisco have simply said Texas is crazy about football and then they guarantee a sellout of the game by locals.

lionsrking2
January 11th, 2010, 08:51 AM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Most of the arguments for those in favor of Frisco have simply said Texas is crazy about football and then they guarantee a sellout of the game by locals.

Yeah, but there have been plenty of comments regarding the booming economy and infrastructure in Frisco...the new stadium...the hotels, the restaurants, the new 4-lane expressway...proximity to DFW and Love Field...the fact that the SLC office is in Frisco and have manpower to help promote and work the game...lots of reasons to choose Frisco over Chattanooga in my humble opinion...the fact that the Dallas area is crazy for all things football is - as we say in south Louisiana - "lagniappe."

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM
the fact that the Dallas area is crazy for all things football is...
a fallacy

89. SMU - 22,236 - 66.71% capacity

xshhhx

MplsBison
January 11th, 2010, 01:18 PM
a fallacy

89. SMU - 22,236 - 66.71% capacity

xshhhx

Red herring argument....which you've shown time and again is the best you can do.

CUSA regular season football != the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP of DI college football.

Not to mention...22k would be pretty close to selling out the stadium!

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Red herring argument....which you've shown time and again is the best you can do.

CUSA regular season football != the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP of DI college football.

Not to mention...22k would be pretty close to selling out the stadium!
Not getting personal again?

SMU is a large school (11,000) IN Dallas and plays I-A football. They will outdraw any interest in the I-AA NC game BY FAR. xrulesx

MplsBison
January 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Not getting personal again?

SMU is a large school (11,000) IN Dallas and plays I-A football. They will outdraw any interest in the I-AA NC game BY FAR. xrulesx

Another of your classic, self-servingly dishonest posts.

You know that you can not equate a regular season, CUSA game at a private school in Dallas to the DI NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game.

GeauxLions94
January 11th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Does anyone in Tennessee care about anything other than FBS? Memphis, UT, Vandy, UT, MTSU, UT?

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Fixed it.

slycat
January 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
To me its smart to try a new market.

It exposes FCS football to a new area and a very large metroplex. It has the SLC behind it for promotion.

Plus I will go to this game no matter whos playing but I would only spend the money to go to Chatty if my team were playing. So its for personal reasons too.

And is it really on the same day as the Cotton Bowl? I thought the idea was to move the game to the Wednesday before the FBS championship?

To me the crowd will suck no matter where it is if its a mid week game.

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 08:05 AM
You know that you can not equate a regular season, CUSA game at a private school in Dallas to the DI NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game.
An entire regular season. If I wanted to pick A regular season game, I might have chosen the 13,626 that attended the SMU/ECU game. Go take a poll in Dallas and ask them who played in the DI NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game this year. xcoffeex

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Plus I will go to this game no matter whos playing
Bookmark this.

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM
An entire regular season. If I wanted to pick A regular season game, I might have chosen the 13,626 that attended the SMU/ECU game. Go take a poll in Dallas and ask them who played in the DI NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game this year. xcoffeex

Take that same poll just about anywhere in the United States...you'll get similar result.

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Take that same poll just about anywhere in the United States...you'll get similar result.
That's not in dispute. What's in dispute is the claim that Dallas and Frisco are somehow in the know when it comes to our championship.

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2010, 11:21 AM
That's not in dispute. What's in dispute is the claim that Dallas and Frisco are somehow in the know when it comes to our championship.

Put it this way...the SLC office is in Frisco; there are five FCS schools in the state who all recruit Dallas; plus dozens outside the state who recruit the metroplex... there are tons of FCS alumns who live and work in the Dallas area...I odn't expect the entire metroplex to be captivated by the FCS Championship Game, but I don't have any doubt that the event would be well-run and well-received should Frisco land the game.

putter
January 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Put it this way...the SLC office is in Frisco; there are five FCS schools in the state who all recruit Dallas; plus dozens outside the state who recruit the metroplex... there are tons of FCS alumns who live and work in the Dallas area...I odn't expect the entire metroplex to be captivated by the FCS Championship Game, but I don't have any doubt that the event would be well-run and well-received should Frisco land the game.

And there is your wildcard. If the SLC can really market this game well in the area and alumni and FCS fans in the area support the game then Frisco could be an upgrade despite the teams and fans having to fly to the game. This is an unknows so speculation about one or both teams not being within driving distance is a moot point. I would rather see a great product with 20k in the stands and both teams/fans fly then cross your fingers that one of the teams gets in within driving distance and has a following so you don't have 8,000 attend like this year.

You can't move the NC game to before the BCS championship and put on a poor showing.

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM
there are tons of FCS alumns who live and work in the Dallas area...
I would wager you a donut that we have two to three times the amount of I-AA alums living and working around DC than Dallas and this town wouldn't give a hoot about the game.

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 01:20 PM
BTW, not much more to talk about here. I'm not going to convince those of you who have never been to Chatty that they do a good job hosting. You're not going to convince me that moving the game to a place where everyone but SLC teams will have to fly to and be in a city that is hosting a major bowl the same day is a good idea. xpeacex

lionsrking2
January 12th, 2010, 02:00 PM
BTW, not much more to talk about here. I'm not going to convince those of you who have never been to Chatty that they do a good job hosting. You're not going to convince me that moving the game to a place where everyone but SLC teams will have to fly to and be in a city that is hosting a major bowl the same day is a good idea. xpeacex

You're right, not much more to say...chances are the game will move to Frisco and we'll all find out soon enough whether it was a wise decision or not...my bet is yes it will be...your position is duly noted.

MplsBison
January 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM

And you would've just proven my point that much more.

Dallas fans don't care about CUSA regular season games. They care about games that mean something, such as the DI NC game.

MplsBison
January 12th, 2010, 03:43 PM

No you won't. And no we won't.

But you'll still be wrong when the DI NC game has significantly better attendance in Frisco than in Chatty.

Syntax Error
January 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
...so you don't have 8,000 attend like this year.
That was not the announced attendance this year, it was over 14K.

If it goes to Frisco then yes they wouldn't know. Take the poll in Chatty and I think they do.

...chances are the game will move to Frisco...
What is this opinion based upon?

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 04:48 PM
They care about games that mean something, such as the DI NC game.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

slycat
January 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Bookmark this.

Go ahead. The only way I don't go is if work interferes. Which if its a mid week game after the New Year then yeah work will probably get in the way.

If its still played in December then I'll be there cause I'll be in that area with my family.

MplsBison
January 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

So it really does just come down to emotional appeals for you? Well at least we all know where everyone stands.

Time to let the chips fall...

putter
January 13th, 2010, 10:41 AM
That was not the announced attendance this year, it was over 14K.

If it goes to Frisco then yes they wouldn't know. Take the poll in Chatty and I think they do.

What is this opinion based upon?

sorry, SE there was not 14K at the game. maybe they sold 14k tickets but, even when I went back and watched it on TV, you could tell that it was not 1/2 full.

89Hen
January 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Go ahead. The only way I don't go is if work interferes. Which if its a mid week game after the New Year then yeah work will probably get in the way.

If its still played in December then I'll be there cause I'll be in that area with my family.
Already hedging your bets? xeyebrowx :p

slycat
January 13th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Already hedging your bets? xeyebrowx :p

Had to. Forgot about the January game. Makes things more difficult. But I would really love to go no matter whos playing. Think it could be a lot of fun.