PDA

View Full Version : Southern Awaits Stump's Decision

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Since the board is back...

The latest update is that Southern offered the head coaching job to Washington RB coach Stump Mitchell.

To date, Mitchell has not formally (or I should say, publicly) accepted the offer and there are rumors that he could end up in the NFL as an assistant.

The funny thing is that Southern put out a release regarding their offer to Mitchell and if he decides to go elsewhere (and there's no truth to that either), this could really bite them in the tail end as a bad move. I do not see why a school does that, but Southern does things a bit differently...

http://gojagsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/123109aac.html

ThompsonThe
January 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Great athlete at The Citadel, and fine, fine human being. Bet he could do a great job.

TexasTerror
January 5th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Latest from Baton Rouge Advocate...Stump acknowledges that local fans are not happy with his hire within the article...

Still, Stump Mitchell cannot accept Southern University’s offer to take over as head football coach.

Not yet, anyway.

Mitchell said he had hoped to have his after-the-season meeting with Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen by today, but scheduling conflicts have delayed the meeting until later this week.

“I haven’t had an opportunity to speak with my people around here because of what happened yesterday and today,” Mitchell said. “I’m hoping to meet Wednesday or Thursday with Mr. Allen.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/80679282.html

CID1990
January 5th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Stump's a great coach and a good man. Any college would be lucky to have him. He would be a good fit at Southern. Hopefully this works itself out well for everybody.

elcid83
January 6th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Stump played at the Citadel when I was there as knobs, we had to yell this cheer when we walked in the mess hall for lunch. His real first name is Lavonya - that's why they call him Stump.

"Lavonya, Lavonya - Don't let them boys get onya!"

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs206.snc1/7334_1168789453906_1053041569_30456599_5040758_n.j pg

TexasTerror
January 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Stump is on his way...

Eight days after he received Southern University’s offer to take over as its head football coach, Stump Mitchell said he still cannot technically accept it. But he’ll be here soon.

“You can tell the (SU System) Board of Supervisors that I will see them Wednesday,” Mitchell said. “I will be in Baton Rouge on Wednesday.”

The Board of Supervisors will meet today, and according to their agenda, they will discuss a new head coach but not take any action. The board is, however, scheduled to vote on the appointment of interim head coach Damon Nivens, who has held the post since SU dismissed Pete Richardson on Dec. 7.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/80974277.html?index=1&c=y

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2010, 07:35 AM
This was posted on TSPN - trying to find the link...apparently from a Washington Post blog.

Southern is getting strung out on this one - whether he comes or not...the worst part being, if he does not come, it is pie in the face for Southern for their antics in releasing that they made him an offer. A big PR blunder. We'll see...

As new Coach Mike Shanahan assembles his staff, he could consider two proven in-house candidates to coach running backs: Sherman Smith and Stump Mitchell.

Smith, who served as offensive coordinator during Jim Zorn's two seasons, formerly was the Tennessee Titans' longtime running backs coach. Former Titans all-pro running back Eddie George often spoke favorably of Smith, who was an NFL running back and Titans Coach Jeff Fisher tried to persuade Smith to remain in Tennessee.

Mitchell, also a former running back, coached the position the last two seasons for Zorn. He previously coached running backs for the Seattle Seahawks and contributed to the success of standout back Shaun Alexander. Although Mitchell has been offered the head coaching job at Southern University, he is eager to see what direction Shanahan takes with the staff, according to two league sources.

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Search re-opens Wednesday if Stump Mitchell is not on campus by 9 a.m. that morning...

Longtime radio analyst Henry Baptiste, former SU quarterback Eric Randall, Sixth Man Club president Anna Jones and SU alumni federation president Domoine Rutledge were among those who voiced concerns.

“This man is holding us hostage,” Baptiste said of Mitchell, who was offered the SU job on New Year’s Eve.

Mitchell completed his second season Sunday with the Washington Redskins, serving as the running backs coach and assistant head coach. He told The Advocate on Thursday he was tending to personal matters this week, will meet with new Redskins coach Mike Shanahan on Monday for what Mitchell labeled an exit interview and planned to be in Baton Rouge on Wednesday to start his new job.

At the board meeting, chairman Tony Clayton said he’d request authority to re-open the search if Mitchell, who hasn’t officially accepted the offer, wasn’t on campus by 9 a.m. Wednesday.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/81056042.html?showAll=y&c=y

TSUalum05
January 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Southern is getting strung out on this one - whether he comes or not...the worst part being, if he does not come, it is pie in the face for Southern for their antics in releasing that they made him an offer. A big PR blunder. We'll see...

Bad PR move so far. Hopefully it turns out for the best.

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Bad PR move so far. Hopefully it turns out for the best.

Southern seems confident he'll arrive and all indications are that he will, plus he already has a staff in place that is out recruiting...

Hopefully, SU has gone through all the proper compliance channels in making sure that "new coach X" is certified to go out recruiting...

Even if he does show, the PR move in announcing he had been offered was not the greatest move. Even, if you did it for recruiting purposes - with all the questions out there - I can not imagine it helping.

TSUalum05
January 11th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Hopefully, SU has gone through all the proper compliance channels in making sure that "new coach X" is certified to go out recruiting...

Bingo; I have not seen this discussed in any articles or on TSPN.

There current recruiter maybe at a disadvantage becuase they may not know what type of schemes and such the "new" coach runs offensie/defensively. Hopefully it works out for the best though.

Jaguar79
January 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM
According to the Redskin Insider (Twitter) -- Redskins running backs coach Stump Mitchell leaves DC to take Southern University head-coaching job, via @JReid_Post http://bit.ly/7ktes6

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM
According to the Redskin Insider (Twitter) -- Redskins running backs coach Stump Mitchell leaves DC to take Southern University head-coaching job, via @JReid_Post http://bit.ly/7ktes6

If true - glad this worked out for Southern.

It would have been a PR nightmare had Stump gone elsewhere considering how poorly Southern handled this issue in the public eye.

Congrats SU on the hire!

WestCoastAggie
January 11th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Aren't Stump and the SU AD friends and former Teammates???

That jobs is Stump's until Stump says he doesn't want it.

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Aren't Stump and the SU AD friends and former Teammates???

That jobs is Stump's until Stump says he doesn't want it.

Stump and the AD - Greg LaFleur - are friends and former teammates...

If Stump does not arrive by Wednesday at 9 a.m., they have said that the job search is open. Ultimately, I do not think the AD has the final say with the head football coach position - the Southern Chancellor does, even if he's more concerned with paying out xtwocentsx to people politically tied at his campuses, while slashing classes and faculty.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 11th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Stump and the AD - Greg LaFleur - are friends and former teammates...

If Stump does not arrive by Wednesday at 9 a.m., they have said that the job search is open. Ultimately, I do not think the AD has the final say with the head football coach position - the Southern Chancellor does, even if he's more concerned with paying out xtwocentsx to people politically tied at his campuses, while slashing classes and faculty.

LaFleur and Stump arent friends according to LaFleur. He said so @ SU board meeting. And SU's chancellor doenst have the finale say, the board of supervisors does. I wish you would stay out of SU buisness because you have no clue about how SU operates.

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2010, 05:21 PM
LaFleur and Stump arent friends according to LaFleur. He said so @ SU board meeting. And SU's chancellor doenst have the finale say, the board of supervisors does. I wish you would stay out of SU buisness because you have no clue about how SU operates.

We both provided different answers regarding to how Southern and the Southern system operates...

The funny thing is, based on how this coaching search was run, there's no telling on how things are run. Based on the financial ordeals in paying a "select" group for working extra (xchinscratchx), there's no telling how things are run.

Louisiana has a great deal of corruption and poor management throughout the spectrum of higher education (and beyond). Southern is no exception and unfortunately, the combination of corruption and management has further crippled our schools, which were hurt tremendously by the corrupt Louisiana Legislature...

blackcaesar3k5
January 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Texas has long history of corruption as well.....

lionsrking2
January 11th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Texas has long history of corruption as well.....

Every state in the union has a history of corruption...it knows no bounds or state lines.

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 11th, 2010, 10:37 PM
We both provided different answers regarding to how Southern and the Southern system operates...

The funny thing is, based on how this coaching search was run, there's no telling on how things are run. Based on the financial ordeals in paying a "select" group for working extra (xchinscratchx), there's no telling how things are run.

Louisiana has a great deal of corruption and poor management throughout the spectrum of higher education (and beyond). Southern is no exception and unfortunately, the combination of corruption and management has further crippled our schools, which were hurt tremendously by the corrupt Louisiana Legislature...

From what I understand those folks deserved to get paid extra. You dont know how they were paid. They might have been paid by SU's foundation, which not one dime would come from the State of Louisiana.

Syntax Error
January 11th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I wish you would stay out of SU buisness because you have no clue about how SU operates.I'm not sure ANYONE completely understands it. But if it is FCS-related it is fair game to talk about here. xnodx

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 11th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure ANYONE completely understands it. But if it is FCS-related it is fair game to talk about here. xnodx

Cool. Posting facts is one thing, but posting false info is another.

bluedog
January 12th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Running backs coach Stump Mitchell said today that he plans to leave the Redskins and accept the head coaching position at Southern University in Baton Rouge, La.

"I had an opportunity to meet with Coach [Mike] Shanahan [Sunday] and talk to him today. I'm confident that Bruce Allen and Coach Shanahan are going to make a great combination," Mitchell said in a phone conversation this afternoon. "I'm confident the Washington Redskins are in great hands, and I would've enjoyed joining them. But I have an opportunity at Southern. I'm going to take the job at Southern (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/mitchell-takes-southern-univer.html)."

BullDog85
January 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I think Stump has been looking for a HC job in the college ranks for a long time and there was no way he was going to walk away from this opportunity.xcoffeex

3rd Coast Tiger
January 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I think Stump has been looking for a HC job in the college ranks for a long time and there was no way he was going to walk away from this opportunity.xcoffeex

He had one at Morgan State.