PDA

View Full Version : Andre Roberts added to Senior Bowl roster

CID1990
December 21st, 2009, 11:30 PM
Andre Roberts is already slated to play in the Shrine Bowl, and several of the NFL draft sites are saying he was added to the Senior Bowl roster this past week.

Two of the sites (including the link) say that he is the first FCS player ever invited to the Senior Bowl, but I'm not sure this is the case, because I'm fairly certain that Nehemiah Broughton (The Citadel- Washington Redskins/Carolina Panthers) played in that game a few years ago.

http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/blog/360-roberts-senior-bowl

phoenixphanatic21
December 22nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
I might be wrong on this, but I think Elon LB Chad Nkang played in the Senior Bowl as well (and ended up winning the MVP award for the game).

Elon Fightin' Christians
December 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
I might be wrong on this, but I think Elon LB Chad Nkang played in the Senior Bowl as well (and ended up winning the MVP award for the game).

Nkang was MVP of his team in the Hula Bowl.

The 61st annual Hula Bowl was played Jan. 14, 2007 at Honolulu, HI.
It was pretty much the Chad Nkang show for small school prospects; Nkang was selected as the MVP of the Kai team, leading the way with nine tackles and one pass deflection.

Skjellyfetti
December 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Grats to Roberts.

When are the rosters for the all star games finalized?

CID1990
December 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
I think the Shrine Bowl rosters are finished, at least the first team rosters are.

CID1990
December 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Then obviously they are completely clueless.

Just last year on the Senior Bowl rosters:
No. Name Height Weight Pos. College
16 Domonique Johnson 6-2 192 DB Jackson State
23 Rashad Jennings 6-1 234 RB Liberty
95 Lawrence Sidbury 6-2 295 DL Richmond
7 Rhett Bomar 6-2 224 QB Sam Houston State
10 Nathan Brown 6-1 217 QB Central Arkansas
11 Ramses Barden 6-6 227 WR Cal Poly

Yeah. All they have to do is look. It makes me wonder if the people saying he is the first from FCS don't mean something else, like maybe the first player from The Citadel, or the first FCS player to be picked for the starting 11, who knows? Seems to be kind of a bold statement to make without looking at the rosters first.

CID1990
December 22nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
After a little research it appears that he is definitely not the first El Cid player to play in this game:

‘62 - Early Eastburn, B
‘70 - John Small, LB
‘81 - Stump Mitchell, RB
‘87 - Greg Davis, P/K
‘88 - Scott Thompson, DL
‘91 - J.J. Davis, LB
‘93 - Lester Smith, DB
’97 – Shawn Lyons, OL
‘05 - Nehemiah Broughton, RB

smallcollegefbfan
December 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Andre Roberts is already slated to play in the Shrine Bowl, and several of the NFL draft sites are saying he was added to the Senior Bowl roster this past week.

Two of the sites (including the link) say that he is the first FCS player ever invited to the Senior Bowl, but I'm not sure this is the case, because I'm fairly certain that Nehemiah Broughton (The Citadel- Washington Redskins/Carolina Panthers) played in that game a few years ago.

http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/blog/360-roberts-senior-bowl

Believe it says on the one you provided that he is the first known invite this year. Of course there have been many others invited to the game. If others are saying the same thing I would assume they mean this year. It is also reporting now that UMASS OT Vladimir Ducasse is going to the Senior Bowl as well.

CID1990
January 5th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Believe it says on the one you provided that he is the first known invite this year. Of course there have been many others invited to the game. If others are saying the same thing I would assume they mean this year. It is also reporting now that UMASS OT Vladimir Ducasse is going to the Senior Bowl as well.

Yep, they most likely mean the first this year.

Also hearing that he is going to decline the East-West Shrine Bowl in favor of the Senior Bowl. If he had not been invited to the NFL Combine, I would say that this was not a very good move, since he would certainly get more playing time in the Shrine Bowl.

Who knows? Maybe he'll start in the Senior Bowl, but then there are some pretty big time receivers from the bigger schools in there already.