View Full Version : Quarterbacks since 2005

HenZoneNation
December 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
2005: Alex Smith, Matt Jones, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell
2006: Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart
2007: Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn
2008: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
2009: Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman

The only player doing better this year than Joe is Aaron Rodgers who has one very good and one terrific receiver. Smith, Leinart, Russell, and Quinn have been busts. Matt Jones became a WR before his drug bust. Cutler, since lsoing the services of Marshall has been awful. Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman have had their ups and downs but none have had a better rookie season than Joe. Young is on the comeback after being benched. Cambell and Ryan each have fewer td's and yards (Matt has missed two games) but more Int's.

Looks to me that it goes 1) Aaron Rodgers
2) Joe Flacco
3) Matt Ryan/Jason Campbell
as far as #1 picks have gone.

blukeys
December 23rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Joe really needs a speed receiver who can open things up. Imagine Joe throwing to DeSean Jackson with Derrick Mason as a possession receiver.

Ray Rice is Joe's Pro Omar Cuff. Todd Heap has been battling injuries and Joe still has the ankle problems that has cost him mobility. More to see this weekend. Maybe Demetrius Williams will step up again.

ASUG8
December 23rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
The Ravens have always been a run team - Flacco has been great (he was my flex player in FFL this year). Matt Ryan lit it up last season also, but it's especially great to see good FCS talent, especially starting last year as a rookie.

seantaylor
December 23rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
Jason Candle is a straight up bum. This year's QB crop will go down as one of the worst ever. Fat Matt, Dirty Sanchez, and Freeman are all going to be colossal busts.

Edge316007
December 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Jason Candle is a straight up bum. This year's QB crop will go down as one of the worst ever. Fat Matt, Dirty Sanchez, and Freeman are all going to be colossal busts.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Sure they're all rookies, but they've all looked pretty terrible most of the season.

SteelCurtain
December 29th, 2009, 03:15 PM
2005: Alex Smith, Matt Jones, Aaron Rodgers, Jason Campbell
2006: Vince Young, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart
2007: Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn
2008: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
2009: Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman

The only player doing better this year than Joe is Aaron Rodgers who has one very good and one terrific receiver. Smith, Leinart, Russell, and Quinn have been busts. Matt Jones became a WR before his drug bust. Cutler, since lsoing the services of Marshall has been awful. Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman have had their ups and downs but none have had a better rookie season than Joe. Young is on the comeback after being benched. Cambell and Ryan each have fewer td's and yards (Matt has missed two games) but more Int's.

Looks to me that it goes 1) Aaron Rodgers
2) Joe Flacco
3) Matt Ryan/Jason Campbell
as far as #1 picks have gone.

Sorry, but no way would I take Flacco over Matt Ryan, or Jay Cutler. Vince Young is a toss up at this point. Only time will tell.

If you switched Flacco with Ryan or Cutler things would be very ugly for Joe. He has a good defense, a great o-line and a very good running game.

Don't get me wrong he is a top 15 QB right now in my opinion. But let's see what the future holds

HenZoneNation
December 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
SteelCurtain,

Though I respect your opinion...you have to be kidding. In his second year he has blown past the likes of Vince Young. Jay Cutler, since losing Brandon Marshall and leaving the AFC West, the joke of the NFL, has been awful, and he's outplayed Matt Ryan this year. It's not ven close. He's done this without a #1 WR. His line is good at points and poor at others (judging by your name I assume you're a Steeler fan) you are aware of the Oline weak points and poor wideout play; if not log onto to ESPN and they'll tell you all about it. Matt Ryan has Michael Turner, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzales. If Joe's on the Falcons he uprgrades at the WR position, upgrades at the TE, and breaks even at the tailback position. Turner and Rice are different types of backs and bot are very good.

Joe is the only one of these QB'S going to the playoffs (I'm expecting a win vs. Oakland) and I believe has more playoff wins than any of the qb's you mentioned combined.

I think I smell Steeler bias...by the way you should thank Mason for the Pitt win.

Hoyadestroya85
December 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I think Ryan is better than Flacco. Cutler on a good day is better than Flacco on a good day but Flacco is more consistent. If given the choice of the three, I'll take Matt Ryan.. He's carried every team he's ever been on.

seantaylor
December 29th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Flacco is way better than Ryan. Flacco has zero weapons at his disposal besides Rice and Heap when healthy.

Syntax Error
December 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Heap is a good name for a pro QB.

AppChicago
December 30th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Heap is a good name for a pro QB.

Too bad he plays TE.

blukeys
January 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Flacco is way better than Ryan. Flacco has zero weapons at his disposal besides Rice and Heap when healthy.

Keep in mind that the critiques of Flacco come from a Steelers and Nova fan. The fact is Flacco is the only QB still playing. Ryan gone, Cutler gone, Young gone.

On top of that Flacco has been playing on one ankle since the Minnesota game. Most QB's would have packed it in with Flacco's injury and two third's of the position players would have not been allowed on the field with his High Ankle sprain.

The number of QB's who have lead their team to the playoffs in their first 2 years of NFL competition is very small. Flacco is in a very select group.

HenZoneNation
January 5th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I also don't get the Matt Ryan carried his teams. In collge he played ine the MPC, Meineke Car Care, and Champs Bowl. Hardly carrying a team to big time Bowl games (which after looking at how many bowl games there are this year and how many average FBS teams make bowls just reminds me how glad I am that my team plays in the FCS).

Matt Ryan
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
14 14 263 451 58.3 2,916 6.5 22 14 19 92 80.9 30 49 1.6 1 5 2

Joe Flacco
G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
16 16 315 499 63.1 3,613 7.2 21 12 36 218 88.9 35 56 1.6 0 8 2

And this is without a big time receiver. Matt Ryan has two. Aside from TD's Joe's rating, pct, yards, and ints are better. I won't even bother putting Young's and Cutler's up.

SteelCurtain
January 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
SteelCurtain,

Though I respect your opinion...you have to be kidding. In his second year he has blown past the likes of Vince Young. Jay Cutler, since losing Brandon Marshall and leaving the AFC West, the joke of the NFL, has been awful, and he's outplayed Matt Ryan this year. It's not ven close. He's done this without a #1 WR. His line is good at points and poor at others (judging by your name I assume you're a Steeler fan) you are aware of the Oline weak points and poor wideout play; if not log onto to ESPN and they'll tell you all about it. Matt Ryan has Michael Turner, Roddy White, and Tony Gonzales. If Joe's on the Falcons he uprgrades at the WR position, upgrades at the TE, and breaks even at the tailback position. Turner and Rice are different types of backs and bot are very good.

Joe is the only one of these QB'S going to the playoffs (I'm expecting a win vs. Oakland) and I believe has more playoff wins than any of the qb's you mentioned combined.

I think I smell Steeler bias...by the way you should thank Mason for the Pitt win.

No steeler bias..Just my opinion if I was a GM starting a team.

How you could say Baltimores o-line isn't good compared to Atlanta or Chicago is beyond me. I would take that o-line everytime.

Yes Baltimore doesn't have a Roddy White..but Derrick Mason is pretty good..even for an old guy. Heap when healthy is a total stud.

You can rip Jay Cutler all you want, but I would fear him in a big game over anyone you mentioned and it isn't even close in my book.

What Cutler needs is a coach to get him under control similar to what Holmgren did to Favre early in his career.

Hear would be my ranking..

Cutler
Ryan
Flacco
Young

Now not much difference between Ryan and Flacco, I give the edge to Ryan because he has lead a team much less talented than Baltimore. In fact he just lead Atlanta to back to back winning seasons for the first time.

Young hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet and that is yet to be determined I would give Joe the nod but who knows what the future brings.

It will be interesting to see where these guys are in five years. The QB that can start putting his team on his back and be a top five QB in this league is what I'm looking for.

Can Joe do that or any of the above guys?? I haven't seen it yet..not even close.

PS- I am a Steeler fan but my evaluation of QB's has nothing to do with that.

I do like Joe, he has been impressive, he's in the top 15 QB's right now. But like I said lets see if he will be a good QB or take the step to the elite status.

That has yet to be seen.

HenZoneNation
January 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Their career stats certainly do not favor Ryan though they are close. I would disagree with you that the Falcons and the Ravens talent levels are far appart. The Falcons have concentrated their efforts more on the Offensive side of the ball. The Ravens O-line is a better run blocking group than pass blocking. Joe takes a lot of hits. Ryan #1 WR is better than Joe's, his #2 Wr (Jenkins) is better than Joe's, Ryan's TE is better than Joe's, and I'd have to say that Turner and Rice are a split. Two very different backs. I would love to see what Joe could do with that Falcons offense.

Cutler is interesting. He's never made the playoffs and the first year he didn't have an Pro Bowler at WR he was horrible. I believe he's averging 19 Ints a year during his 3 1/4 years. That isn't good at all.

HenZoneNation
January 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM
And if that doesn't jump out at you hwo about this from the Baltimore Sun...

Consider this: Flacco has had the fifth-most productive first two seasons in NFL history, with 6,584 yards, behind Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe and Jeff Garcia.

He is the fourth starting quarterback since the 1970 merger to reach the playoffs in his first two years, joining Ben Roethlisberger, Bernie Kosar and Marino. He has a two-year record of 22-13, including postseason, and runs the Ravens' no-huddle offense deftly with audibles.

appmaj
January 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Hope they win this weekend....