PDA

View Full Version : 2009 National Championship Game Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

LeadBolt
December 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Say goodnight Gracie.... Congrats, Nova!

Torgo
Game. Set. Match.

Kill me.

Eight Legger
CAA dominance continues. Well done, Nova.

Skjellyfetti
Too early. Seems like the team losing at halftime has been winning the big playoff games this year.

Nova over William and Mary (down 10-0 at halftime)
App over Richmond (down 14-7 at halftime)
Montana over App (down 10-7 at halftime)

I'd hate to brag... but, damn I'm good. ;):D

KiddBrewer
congrats CAA. since its been CAA fans vs. everybody elses fans all year. I guess you all win, in a "group effort"

putter
congrats to 'Nova, got outcoached in the 2nd half. Nice game

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
353 yards rushing tonight was the story of the game.

LacesOut
YEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYY!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVAAAAAAAA!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Congrats!! Well deserved, well earned!!

Love seeing Talley win it.

ItsyBitsySpider
Well done, Nova

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Villanova was the best team all year. They deserved it! First college football title for the state of PA since 1990. Hopefully their hoops season doesn't end up like this.

TokyoGriz
Good game Nova.

Without Sczar your team wont be even near the same but well played this year.

Griz great year!

Go Griz!

turn1979
C-A-A

19Duke97
Congrats to Andy Talley and Villanova!!! Great season griz, tough loss.

paward
Great Job Nova, well deserved win. Montana nothing to hang your head for. Good season, good run. Good win for CAA.

Tribe07
December 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM
congrats CAA. since its been CAA fans vs. everybody elses fans all year. I guess you all win, in a "group effort"

Nope can't take credit for that one. But I tip my cap to 'Nova. I'm jealous. Enjoy it. And never do it again.

LehighFan11
Congrats Nova! Great season, impressive 2nd half.

dwtime
this may be an old fashioned ass whooping...might be the worst team on our schedule.

This might be the dumbest post of the night..........Time to skulk back to noobville Stubbins and think next time before you post. xnonox

LacesOut

Yep!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheValleyRaider
Montana 21
Villanova 23
Final

Congratulations to the 2009 National Champion Villanova Wildcats! xbowx xhurrayx xsmileyclapx xbowx xhurrayx xsmileyclapx xbowx xhurrayx xsmileyclapx

Matt Szczur for MVP xnodx xnodx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
congrats to 'Nova, got outcoached in the 2nd half. Nice game

No they didn't. The Cats are were simply better. App State was the second best team this year imo. Had that game had been played on a nuetral field App State wins.

SalukiJim
December 18th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Congrats to Villanova! Hoping that after Szvzvzvzxycur gets drafted by MLB, he can afford to buy a vowel :)

Bogus Megapardus
" But I hate the CAA." Interesting.

Visceral reaction to the ceaseless butt-kissing by the ESPN guys who were reading shamelessly all game from the conference's press sheets.

I like UNH, too, btw.

Bettina90
Nice Job, Nova. Delaware or Nova is up next year.

LacesOut
And congrats to Montana on an outstanding season and a good run in the playoffs!

turn1979
December 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Looking at the stands.......yup........all 4 Villanova fans showed up!!! xsmiley_wix J/K

Congrats Nova.

LacesOut
December 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
CAA!!
CAA!
CAA!
CAA!
CAA!
CAA!
CAA!

Ivytalk
December 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Good job, Nova! I called 23-20. Close enough!xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
December 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh CAA CAA CAA CAA CAA CAA CAA NOVA NOVA NOVA NOVA NOVA NOVA NOVA huge win! Congratulations to Nova on a huge season. Well deserved!!!

phoenixphanatic21
Congrats to Villanova. They deserve that victory the way they played in the second half.

Grizaholic17
Great Game 'Nova!!!

You guys out played us in the second half, doesn't happen too often! Hats off to you and your players and your coach! Maybe the Griz Can be like Appy and Go to the Championship 3 years in a row, but lose all three years. haha!!!

Great Season to our seniors and On to next year! The rest is history as they say.

GolfingGriz
December 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Yikes. Good game Nova, you beat us at our own game...second half adjustments.

TokyoGriz
December 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
No they didn't. The Cats are were simply better. App State was the second best team this year imo. Had that game had been played on a nuetral field App State wins.

Eh no they (Montana) were outcoached 2nd half.

That said also well played nova, without execution ya got nothing.

Zangzigger
December 18th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Congratulations Villanova! Well deserved

Torgo
December 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Congrats Nova.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to find the nearest suicide booth.

rcny46
December 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Visceral reaction to the ceaseless butt-kissing by the ESPN guys who were reading shamelessly all game from the conference's press sheets.

I like UNH, too, btw.

You have a point.Good luck to Lafayette in `10.

Philliesfan980
December 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Eh no they (Montana) were outcoached 2nd half.

That said also well played nova, without execution ya got nothing.

Comon man, give it up. They ran the ball down their throat in the second half. Not a ton of coaching behind that.

TokyoGriz
December 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
EPIC FAIL on behalf of the Montana coaches in 2nd half however. So many tools they didnt use.

BUT Nova good adjustments at halftime well played came out on top. Great game for the Wildcats in the 2nd half and well excuted.

Still say without Szcar you are a one shot wonder for years to come.

eaglesrback
December 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
YOU GO IN 14 AND 0. its always BAD LUCK!CONGRAD'S NOVA!

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
EPIC FAIL on behalf of the Montana coaches in 2nd half however. So many tools they didnt use.

BUT Nova good adjustments at halftime well played came out on top. Great game for the Wildcats in the 2nd half and well excuted.

Run the ball run the ball. We should have ran it...but truthfully their defense stepped up. Big Game Bobby was there the second half...but part of it was the player's drive. Our defense was plain tired. Great work 'Nova

txst80
December 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Congratulations to Villanova. Everybody ready to wait 8 months for more football?

Baller1
December 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Great game Nova!! congrats.... proud of my griz though!

DTSpider
December 18th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Congrats Nova!

DMo_JMU
Montana is currently the Buffalo Bills of the 90s, I feel for them

Go Lehigh TU Owl
Congratulations to Villanova. Everybody ready to wait 8 months for more football?

Hopefully Temple opens the year against 'Nova next year! #1 will go down after the first week!

Bogus Megapardus
December 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM
You have a point.Good luck to Lafayette in `10.

Thank you. I hereby take back my mean-spirited comment. Congrats to Villanova . . . and to App, W&M and of course the Griz. Some of the best football I've seen. A great final four.

Montana_Mojo
I think Montana being the Ohio State of the FCS would be a more apt comparison. At least the Griz have won a couple of national titles.

putter
Ran the ball at us, is coaching. Just like JMU you can't stuff the run with just 4 guys up from and hope you LB's fill, won't work.

P.S> If only the Griz make that Field Goal.......what if's (24-23)??:o

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Griz had another great season. It is hard to not feel some for the Montana players and fans. So many times to the big game and most times coming home empty.

I thought at half they had the momentum, but for whatever reason did not come out in the 2nd half looking like the same team.

RookieWill
December 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hopefully Temple opens the year against 'Nova next year! #1 will go down after the first week!

Nova and Temple have a 4 game contract, so definitely playing next year (although unsure whether it is game 1 or 2). Temple will be very difficult for Nova to beat for a third time in a row. Nova was lucky to win that game this year

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 10:24 PM

I'm starting to get used to this first or second loss of the season in the NC...seems alright to me. At least we get there, right? xrolleyesx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 18th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Nova and Temple have a 4 game contract, so definitely playing next year (although unsure whether it is game 1 or 2). Temple will be very difficult for Nova to beat for a third time in a row. Nova was lucky to win that game this year

Yeah they're definitely playing each other next year. The date has yet to be set however. The first game makes sense. We should finally win next year despite how loaded 'Nova is going to be.

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Griz had another great season. It is hard to not feel some for the Montana players and fans. So many times to the big game and most times coming home empty.

I thought at half they had the momentum, but for whatever reason did not come out in the 2nd half looking like the same team.

I think the team listened to Hauck, then huddled around a big plate of Nachos.

Great season Seniors and 'Nova! Great season to you all!

wapiti
December 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Ran the ball at us, is coaching. Just like JMU you can't stuff the run with just 4 guys up from and hope you LB's fill, won't work.

P.S> If only the Griz make that Field Goal.......what if's (24-23)??:o

If you "what if" that missed fg, then you must "what if" the missed xp by nova.
Scored tied 24-24. Nova would most likely win in OT.

charliej
Great game Griz, was a tough one!

I knew if Whitney would get settled in it would be a different 2nd half. D stepped up BIG helping to keep Griz O off the field.

Still, I'm sure I wasn't the only Nova fan that nearly ***** myself on that last TD.xeekx

Well played by both...nothing to be ashamed of for either side.xthumbsupx

Jackman
Congratulations, Villanova. I'm genuinely surprised. I honestly thought they were secretly the weakest of the Top 4 in the CAA most of the year, but they proved they were the best with their steady, consistent play in the playoffs and executing when it mattered most. A worthy champion.

In other news, half of the 10 teams currently in the CAA Football conference now own a National Championship trophy.

TheValleyRaider
December 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
By the way, that's 2 straight National Championships for Private Schools xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

It can be done! xnodx xnodx

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
If it is any consolation at least Montana continues to be a playoff team every year and has made the championship game I think 4 times or is it 5 since 2000. My team (Ga. Southern) has not been anywhere close to the championship game or for that matter the playoffs in years.

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Showing highlights now and Mariani running all over the place in the 1st half. Did he even touch the ball in teh 2nd half?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
By the way, that's 2 straight National Championships for Private Schools xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

It can be done! xnodx xnodx

Good point xthumbsupx

B&G
December 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Pretty cool that this game's highlights get prominent billing on Sportscenter... although I guess not too much else going on in sports tonight.

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
If it is any consolation at least Montana continues to be a playoff team every year and has made the championship game I think 4 times or is it 5 since 2000. My team (Ga. Southern) has not been anywhere close to the championship game or for that matter the playoffs in years.

We've been in the championship game nearly half the time since 1995, and only two to show for it.

**view signature**

And Mariani did not touch the ball second half

Kadester
December 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM
special teams did effect the outcome. Great Job Villanova.

Thanks for all the excitement and fun this year Griz.

UDJooHens
December 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I have been waiting for a year to make my first post and I feel like this is as good a time as any.... NATIONAL CHAMPS

Bogus Megapardus
December 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM
And Mariani did not touch the ball second half

Yeah, what's up with that?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
It's amazing the FCS season is over. My first game this year was Temple-Villanova. At least i can say i saw the national champs play this year. :p

soccerguy315
this may be an old fashioned ass whooping...might be the worst team on our schedule.

nice

UncleSam
December 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Congrats to both teams, just getting to Chattanooga is a great accomplishment.

Many fans here who hadn't seen Nova other than vs W&M, were under the mistaken impression that Nova had a mediocre offense. Those of us in the CAA knew otherwise, as we also knew that W&M had a great defense that could slow down any FCS offense. Nova is very good on both sides on the ball and I think that was well established tonight.

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, what's up with that?

They were giving him so much cushion the first half that he picked apart the secondary. They made halftime adjustments to start jamming at the line of scrimmage and play tighter. It worked! We should have started running more, but ended up going to the pass again and again.

There are times when a person can really get down on their team and coaches, but this season was quite the ride for the Griz. Our NC was last week. Great job 'Nova

LacesOut
December 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Hmmm. I like that, I like that alot.

Two small private schools (with what, a student body of under 6k?) winning an NC back to back. Good stuff right there.

soccerguy315
December 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM
personally, i dont see nova as the best team in the united states at our level, regardless of whether they win or not.

who is the best team? ASU? xcoffeex

Bogus Megapardus
December 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
It's amazing the FCS season is over. My first game this year was Temple-Villanova. At least i can say i saw the national champs play this year. :p

I think Lehigh opens with Villanova next year. If ever there was a time . . .

Seriously, if Lehigh comes within a score of Villanova, I promise not to say a bad thing about the Pigeon Bawks for a whole week.

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Many fans here who hadn't seen Nova other than vs W&M, were under the mistaken impression that Nova had a mediocre offense. Those of us in the CAA knew otherwise, as we also knew that W&M had a great defense that could slow down any FCS offense. Nova is very good on both sides on the ball and I think that was well established tonight.

The announcers said it well. We had an undersized defense, and will for a few years now. It will be our weak point unless our players really focus their attention in the weight room. The usual stout Montana defense is not so stout anymore. Back to the drawing boards guys...here's to hopefully another great season. I hope a year from now I'm saying "third time's a charm".

Tribe4SF
December 18th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Amen to that. The Nova offensive line was terrific all year, and showed how good they are tonight. You can slice and dice this game any way you want, but the difference was in the trenches. Rushing yardage differential of 353-60.

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Amen to that. The Nova offensive line was terrific all year, and showed how good they are tonight. You can slice and dice this game any way you want, but the difference was in the trenches. Rushing yardage differential of 353-60.

Chase had very nice runs though. It was more due to play calling and our pass heavy playbook today.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I think Lehigh opens with Villanova next year. If ever there was a time . . .

Seriously, if Lehigh comes within a score of Villanova, I promise not to say a bad thing about the Pigeon Bawks for a whole week.

Lehigh hung with Villanova this year for the first half. I know the Lafayette people will laugh at the logic but LU does return something like 18 starters. They SHOULD be more than competitive next year. The UNH game is the taller task imo. That has the better chance of being a blow out.

MR. CHICKEN
December 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
The announcers said it well. We had an undersized defense, and will for a few years now. It will be our weak point unless our players really focus their attention in the weight room. The usual stout Montana defense is not so stout anymore. Back to the drawing boards guys...here's to hopefully another great season. I hope a year from now I'm saying "third time's a charm".

TIME TA MAKE UH....CAR WASHIN' RAG....OUTTAH JERSEY #37.....YA'LL GOTS NO-ONE TA WEAR IT.......xpopcornx........BRAWK/OBAMA/KEELER/BIDEN!!

Baller1
December 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I think Trumaine Johnson and Keith Thompson being banged up really hurt our tackling on the edges as well as our smallish Defensive Ends..... Nova just beat up our D.... hats off to them

putter
December 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
They were giving him so much cushion the first half that he picked apart the secondary. They made halftime adjustments to start jamming at the line of scrimmage and play tighter. It worked! We should have started running more, but ended up going to the pass again and again.

There are times when a person can really get down on their team and coaches, but this season was quite the ride for the Griz. Our NC was last week. Great job 'Nova

Montana/Richmond part2. tickes me off....xnonono2x

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 10:51 PM

I think that was Bobby's last game with us. Hopefully we can get another dynasty rolling.

uofmman1122
December 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Had to go back in to work to talk to my boss after the game, and everyone except my boss decided to give me ***** about, "How in the world can you be so pissed over a stupid football game? It's just a game!"

I hate pretty much everything right now. xnonono2x

JMUNJ08
December 18th, 2009, 10:53 PM

Chase had some great runs but then Nova always seemed to stop him for only 1 or 2 on a 1st down. UM incomplete pass/short pass for little and then an incomplete. The problem was the first down yardage in the 2nd half...

MR. CHICKEN
December 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
NO DOY......YA'LL PLAY IN DUH LAND O' FLUFFY.....xnodx....AWK!

KiddBrewer
December 18th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Had to go back in to work to talk to my boss after the game, and everyone except my boss decided to give me ***** about, "How in the world can you be so pissed over a stupid football game? It's just a game!"

I hate pretty much everything right now. xnonono2x

i know/hate the feelingxoopsxxnonono2x

MR. CHICKEN
December 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I think that was Bobby's last game with us. Hopefully we can get another dynasty rolling.

NO DUH......YA'LL PLAY IN DUH BIG FLUFFY.......xxmasx......BRAWK!!

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
NO DUH......YA'LL PLAY IN DUH BIG FLUFFY.......xxmasx......BRAWK!!

Other teams just look meager in comparison...that's the only reason. xsmiley_wix

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 18th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Great game....early on I thought Montana was going to win tonight but Nova stepped up and got the job done.

Montana has such a huge offensive line I would have thought their run game would have been much better. It's almost like the 2004 game vs JMU, pass pretty much at will but no run game. (I guess you have to chalk it up to the defense.)

Great year Montana.....you will be back again.

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Great game....early on I thought Montana was going to win tonight but Nova stepped up and got the job done.

Montana has such a huge offensive line I would have thought their run game would have been much better. It's almost like the 2004 game vs JMU, pass pretty much at will but no run game. (I guess you have to chalk it up to the defense.)

Everytime we ran it worked pretty well...but we didn't call a run play very often.

crossfire07
December 18th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Chase had very nice runs though. It was more due to play calling and our pass heavy playbook today.
Montana's coaches probably prepared for a heavy passing game since Nova has been so stingy in giving up rushing yards.

Grizaholic17
December 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Montana's coaches probably prepared for a heavy passing game since Nova has been so stingy in giving up rushing yards.

but you would think after busting some nice runs that it would change. It's all a moot point. We live and move on!! Awesome game

putter
December 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM

That is what I can't understand. Almost every year Montana has this huge O-Line and get pushed around when the team we play are smaller but have more heart and play more physical....can't figure it out

furpal87
December 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Hmmm. I like that, I like that alot.

Two small private schools (with what, a student body of under 6k?) winning an NC back to back. Good stuff right there.

And who is the only other private school to win the championship? xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

Congrats Villanova!!! Champs of the highest level of college football to be decided by a playoff!!

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Just got back from the game. All's I can say is Unbelievable. What a great football game. I'm so proud of the cats this year. I was utterly shocked by the number of Montana fans at this game. They are awesome. The sports bars in Chatanooga are going to be packed tonight. Great season to both teams. Go Novaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

SpidersSportsEditor
December 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Just got back from the game. All's I can say is Unbelievable. What a great football game. I'm so proud of the cats this year. I was utterly shocked by the number of Montana fans at this game. They are awesome. The sports bars in Chatanooga are going to be packed tonight. Great season to both teams. Go Novaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

I remember that feeling. Congrats to Nova. I thought Montana was going to win early during the game also, but the Villanova D stepped up and Montana could not stop the run. I don't blame the Montana play calling that much, the pass was working well in the first half and the run only broke it off a few times. Whatever the reason, Nova battled hard after being down 14-3 and earned this win.

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I've been reading through some of these posts, By the way Go Lehigh Temple.....I would be utterly shocked if the Nova/Temple game was even close next year. Temple is going to be a great football team in the coming years. Benard Pierce wasn't even an established running back in week 1. Nova will be great next year as well, but I expect next year for the Nova/Temple rivalry to be back to normal - Temple beating up on nova in football and nova beating up on temple in basketball! Haha.

About the game, I couldn't understand what the Montana coaching staff was thinking! The nova's defense was GIVING them 8 yard passes underneath, setting up very easy 2nd and 3rd down conversions. They completely changed their gameplan in the second half, and I'm still trying to think of what the Montana coaches were thinking.

Still can't believe we won this. I think this is a GREAT thing for northeastern football! Even though it's unlikely, PLEASE COME BACK SZCZUR!!!!!!

Kadester
December 19th, 2009, 01:00 AM

Oh please dont feel bad for us. If you ever get a chance to come to Missoula, you will realize why:

Good people
Good family
And most important, good souls.

Great Game Villanova. I still remember in 85 cheering you on against G-town in the final of hoops. Ed Pinckney, god love you man. Harold Jensen 5-5 from the floor. No love lost here, only gained.

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Montana fans may have enjoyed being number 1 on Sportscenters top 10 plays last week with the hit against the app st. guy, but just watched sportscenter, and the block that brandan harvey dished out right in front of the montana crowd as whitney was running was number 4 in the top 10 plays this week. That was a very good hit.

Old Cat Fan
December 19th, 2009, 01:27 AM
tonights box score, congrats to Nova on a great season You kick our ass in the playoffs but remember who gave you that black eye in week six xsmiley_wix

Villanova 23, Montana 21

Preview - Box Score - Recap

1 2 3 4 Total

Villanova 3 6 7 7 23 Final

Montana 7 7 0 7 21

VILLANOVA-FG, N Yako 23 YD 9:48 1st Qtr
MONTANA-TD, M Mariani 24 YD PASS FROM A Selle (B McKnight
KICK) 11:45 1st Qtr
MONTANA-TD, J Sambrano 4 YD PASS FROM A Selle (B McKnight
KICK) 8:12 2nd Qtr
VILLANOVA-TD, M Szczur 5 YD RUN (N Yako PAT FAILED)11:26
2nd Qtr
VILLANOVA-TD, C Farmer 3 YD PASS FROM C Whitney (N Yako
KICK) 9:33 3rd Qtr
VILLANOVA-TD, M Szczur 3 YD RUN (N Yako KICK) 3:56 4th Qtr
MONTANA-TD, J Sambrano 53 YD PASS FROM A Selle (B McKnight
KICK) 13:53 4th Qtr

VILLANOVA MONTANA
First downs 22 18
Rushed-yards 51-351 19-60
Passing yards 142 365
Sacked-yards lost 1-9 2-8
Return yards 0 0
Passes 10-13-1 28-37-0
Punts 3-41.7 5-39.8
Fumbles-lost 1-0 0-0
Penalties-yards 6-40 3-25
Time of possession 33:27 26:33

Individual Statistics

RUSHING: VILLANOVA-Matt Szczur 14-159, Chris Whitney 16-102, Aaron
Ball 7-51, Angelo Babbaro 10-48, Mikey Reynolds 1-13, Team 3-MINUS 22.
MONTANA-Chase Reynolds 15-64, Andrew Selle 4-MINUS 4.

PASSING: VILLANOVA-Chris Whitney 10-13-142- 1. MONTANA-Andrew Selle
27-35-351- 0, Jeff Larson 1-2-14- 0.

RECEIVING: VILLANOVA-Matt Szczur 4-68, Angelo Babbaro 1-46, Dorian
Wells 1-12, Mikey Reynolds 2-7, Norman White 1-6, Chris Farmer 1-3.
MONTANA-Marc Mariani 9-178, Jabin Sambrano 5-79, Chase Reynolds 5-39,
Dan Beaudin 4-27, Steve Pfahler 3-21, Andrew Selle 1-14, Sam
Gratton 1-7.

Att: 14,328

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2009, 05:43 AM
welp, this one looks about like i thought it would.....xcoffeex......dangit, i knew last week was the national championship gamexnonono2xxnonono2x

Yep, as soon as the CAA Tourney was over, this game was over as wellxwhistlex

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Montana is actually a good team, not really close to worst on the Nova sked

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Montana doesn't really start playing until the second half all year

xlolxxlolxxlolx

caribbeanhen
December 19th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Basically Nova has Montana in their wheelhouse
xbowx

Torgo
December 19th, 2009, 06:57 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

Sadly, up until this point all season that had been true. Hauck coached teams are notorious for slow starts and coming out of halftime like a bat out of hell.

That QB sneak on 3rd & 1 to start the second half was extremely atypical of the normal second half play calling and set the table for the rest of the game. Selle isn't Whitney, a QB sneak up the middle with him isn't too likely to work. Things were reversed in this game...aggressive in the first half and conservative in the second, which is just dumbfounding watching this team all season (and years past).

Philliesfan980
December 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I've got a question for whoever was there (or who on TV might have noticed).

I didn't see Brian Westbrook or Howie Long on TV at any point during the game. The only Villanova alumni who was interviewed on TV was Brian Finneran. If he's the only "big time" alumni that came back for this game, that's just plain sad. Westbrook really doesn't have any excuse for not being there, as he's already been ruled out of Sunday's game, and Howie has to do hours and hours of prep for his outstanding work on Sunday's NFL show (yeah, that's sarcasm if you can't tell)

asknoquarter21
December 19th, 2009, 07:43 AM
tonights box score, congrats to Nova on a great season You kick our ass in the playoffs but remember who gave you that black eye in week six xsmiley_wix

Villanova 23, Montana 21

Preview - Box Score - Recap

1 2 3 4 Total

Villanova 3 6 7 7 23 Final

Montana 7 7 0 7 21

VILLANOVA-FG, N Yako 23 YD 9:48 1st Qtr
MONTANA-TD, M Mariani 24 YD PASS FROM A Selle (B McKnight
KICK) 11:45 1st Qtr
MONTANA-TD, J Sambrano 4 YD PASS FROM A Selle (B McKnight
KICK) 8:12 2nd Qtr
VILLANOVA-TD, M Szczur 5 YD RUN (N Yako PAT FAILED)11:26
2nd Qtr
VILLANOVA-TD, C Farmer 3 YD PASS FROM C Whitney (N Yako
KICK) 9:33 3rd Qtr
VILLANOVA-TD, M Szczur 3 YD RUN (N Yako KICK) 3:56 4th Qtr
MONTANA-TD, J Sambrano 53 YD PASS FROM A Selle (B McKnight
KICK) 13:53 4th Qtr

VILLANOVA MONTANA
First downs 22 18
Rushed-yards 51-351 19-60
Passing yards 142 365
Sacked-yards lost 1-9 2-8
Return yards 0 0
Passes 10-13-1 28-37-0
Punts 3-41.7 5-39.8
Fumbles-lost 1-0 0-0
Penalties-yards 6-40 3-25
Time of possession 33:27 26:33

Individual Statistics

RUSHING: VILLANOVA-Matt Szczur 14-159, Chris Whitney 16-102, Aaron
Ball 7-51, Angelo Babbaro 10-48, Mikey Reynolds 1-13, Team 3-MINUS 22.
MONTANA-Chase Reynolds 15-64, Andrew Selle 4-MINUS 4.

PASSING: VILLANOVA-Chris Whitney 10-13-142- 1. MONTANA-Andrew Selle
27-35-351- 0, Jeff Larson 1-2-14- 0.

RECEIVING: VILLANOVA-Matt Szczur 4-68, Angelo Babbaro 1-46, Dorian
Wells 1-12, Mikey Reynolds 2-7, Norman White 1-6, Chris Farmer 1-3.
MONTANA-Marc Mariani 9-178, Jabin Sambrano 5-79, Chase Reynolds 5-39,
Dan Beaudin 4-27, Steve Pfahler 3-21, Andrew Selle 1-14, Sam
Gratton 1-7.

Thanks for this, I lost power last night and didn't get to see the game. Congrats to the wildcats!

Bogus Megapardus
December 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I didn't see Brian Westbrook or Howie Long on TV at any point during the game. The only Villanova alumni who was interviewed on TV was Brian Finneran. If he's the only "big time" alumni that came back for this game, that's just plain sad. Westbrook really doesn't have any excuse for not being there, as he's already been ruled out of Sunday's game, and Howie has to do hours and hours of prep for his outstanding work on Sunday's NFL show (yeah, that's sarcasm if you can't tell)

Westbrook is on the Eagles' active roster and was required to be at practice and in team meetings Friday, even if was going to be inactive Sunday. I imagine he would have needed approval to travel to Chattanooga. Do you really think that Brian Westbrook was uninterested in the game? I imagine he was watching and cheering like thousands of other former players.

NovaHater
December 19th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Good game Nova.

Without Sczar your team wont be even near the same but well played this year.

Griz great year!

Go Griz!

Are you kidding me ? Do you think Szczur won this game ?

Defense won this game, holding Montana to 7 2nd half points won this game.

You Griz fans are something else, all you talk about is Offense and how many points you score. If you put more emphasis on D you might win one of these games. Villanova, just like most of the CAA is about defense.

Szczur had a good game but Whitney also had over a 100 yds rushing, both are Juniors.

One shot wonder, yeah, I'd like to see how many times you make it to the NC if you had to play an entire season year after year against Richmond, W&M, JMU, UNH & UMASS

charliej
December 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Well I for one am worried about the loss of Szczur. Nova's good yes, but Matt is outstanding.

Philliesfan980
December 19th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Westbrook is on the Eagles' active roster and was required to be at practice and in team meetings Friday, even if was going to be inactive Sunday. I imagine he would have needed approval to travel to Chattanooga. Do you really think that Brian Westbrook was uninterested in the game? I imagine he was watching and cheering like thousands of other former players.

Andy Reid absolutely loves Westbrook. If he wanted to be there, Big Red would have let him.

I've listened to Brian Westbrook many times on local radio, and whenever someone asked him about his "small time college roots" he always just laughs along with the clueless talk show host. Maybe he just doesn't want to get into it on that type of forum, but I've never heard of him going to bat for Nova.

This of course isn't to say that Brian doesn't really love Nova, I've just never seen him go to bat for the University.

charliej
December 19th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Andy Reid absolutely loves Westbrook. If he wanted to be there, Big Red would have let him.

I've listened to Brian Westbrook many times on local radio, and whenever someone asked him about his "small time college roots" he always just laughs along with the clueless talk show host. Maybe he just doesn't want to get into it on that type of forum, but I've never heard of him going to bat for Nova.

This of course isn't to say that Brian doesn't really love Nova, I've just never seen him go to bat for the University.

When Nova played Temple in '03, ('04 maybe?)...Westbrook was all over the news predicting a Nova win. Others in Eagles locker room laughed about it at the time, but afterwards said they were impressed by the win.xnodx

Philliesfan980
December 19th, 2009, 09:34 AM
When Nova played Temple in '03, ('04 maybe?)...Westbrook was all over the news predicting a Nova win. Others in Eagles locker room laughed about it at the time, but afterwards said they were impressed by the win.xnodx

That's awesome, I really didn't know about it.

I'm watching TV now and just saw Howie Long selling another POS Chevy. Good to see him make good use of his time.

laxVik
December 19th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Nothing gives me greater pleasure than watching Montana lose. Which is not very often. So I'm relishing the moment. ;)

ur2k
December 19th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Don't sell Nova short, they are very very good. I expect Whitney to settle down in the second half anf for this to be a great finish.

Told you xnodx

tribe_pride
December 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Frisco must be loving that number as well as the weather at the game yesterday.

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Philliesfan...I was sitting next to a bunch of alum 'Nova football players. Granted, they weren't howie long or brian westbrook, but there were a lot of 'nova football alum there (and they were going crazy for a bunch of 40 year olds too :P

NovaWildcat
December 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Brian Westbrook returns to campus quite frequently. He even spoke to the players pre-game before one of the last few games (forget which one). To say he doesn't 'go to bat' for the University is a ridiculous and ignorant statement to make.

LacesOut
December 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
VU,

Did you fly back this morning??? Drive back?? I'm curious, just because of the weather.

VUCats02
December 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM
No. Flying out later today. We'll see how the weather goes. All this rain we got in Chattanooga this week is gonna be the same storm in the north except it'll be snow instead of rain.

Philliesfan980
December 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Brian Westbrook returns to campus quite frequently. He even spoke to the players pre-game before one of the last few games (forget which one). To say he doesn't 'go to bat' for the University is a ridiculous and ignorant statement to make.

Didn't know that - I stand corrected. Although I did preface my original statement by saying "I never heard or saw" so ease up in your tone a little.

NovaHater
December 19th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Great response there Tribe4SF

Especially considering you made the following statement

Montana is gonna run away with this one.

Had to be the most idiotic post of the night xnonox

tribe_pride
December 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Great response there Tribe4SF

Especially considering you made the following statement

Had to be the most idiotic post of the night xnonox

That was 2 different posters.

Philliesfan980
December 19th, 2009, 11:54 AM

LOL - got to love the "foot in mouth" syndrome so many people have on here.

NovaHater
December 19th, 2009, 11:58 AM

You're absolutely correct and I apologize to Tribe4SF

as for Tribe07, I still think you're an idiot

GSU Eagle
December 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
The game is currently being replayed on ESPNU. Montana just went up 14-3 and I thought at that point Montana was on its way. It was very big for Villanova to take the next kickoff and drive down and score.

I must admit at 14-3 Montana with about 7 minutes to go in the half I figured Montana might win this one by 10-14 points.

Credit Nova for coming back.

BDKJMU
December 19th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Frisco must be loving that number as well as the weather at the game yesterday.

Yeah, and I bet 2-3k of that was no shows from the ASU fans that bought several k tickets after they beat UR. No way was the stadium 2/3 full.

srgrizizen
December 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Are you kidding me ? Do you think Szczur won this game ?

Defense won this game, holding Montana to 7 2nd half points won this game.

You Griz fans are something else, all you talk about is Offense and how many points you score. If you put more emphasis on D you might win one of these games. Villanova, just like most of the CAA is about defense.

Szczur had a good game but Whitney also had over a 100 yds rushing, both are Juniors.

One shot wonder, yeah, I'd like to see how many times you make it to the NC if you had to play an entire season year after year against Richmond, W&M, JMU, UNH & UMASS

I think TokyoGriz's comment about "one shot wonder"was uncalled for. It's about this year, and you were the best team. I don't really dispute your claim about defense winning games, but I have to say from my perspective Nova's offense was much better than I thought it would be, but your (pass) defense was much less than I expected. As usual, the team that can run it wins, though, and though we might have survived Szczur OR Whitney, the two together were unstoppable. If W&M had anything resembling the Griz's pass offense, you would have been buried by them, because unlike UM, they could limit (not stop) your running. xthumbsupx

HenZoneNation
December 19th, 2009, 06:03 PM

And now we can all go back to hating each other...xrotatehx

Pulling for Nova was one of the hardest things ever...now lets get #4 a MLB contract shall we xrulesx

jlcharles
December 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM

I don't know what your problem is, but your constant bashing of Villanova, the coaching staff, players, former players, etc is getting old. Both Howie and Westbrook have commitments that probably can't be easily broken. I missed it, but as I understood, Howie did some talking about the game at the beginning of the pre-game show Sunday. From reading the drivel you post, it's become clear to me that you take some sort of issue with the school and probably graduated from St. Joe's (PA). Do you have nothing better to do with your time? Go on the Hawk board and post your nonsense.