PDA

View Full Version : Mount Union and Wisconson-Whitewater in D-III NC game for 5th year in a row!

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
This is pretty boring IMO.

Do you like two powers dominating and having them play every year?

I would prefer some parity and variety.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Has Larry Kehres ever gotten any other job offers? xconfusedx

DSUrocks07
December 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
They should both move up to D-II

holycrossC
December 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
kind of like Grand valley and NWMS

Big Al
December 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
They should both move up to D-II

Personally, I think it would be awesome if the NCAA implemented a relegation system for all sports.

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
kind of like Grand valley and NWMS

Pretty much.

GVSU, NW Missouri, North Alabama, Valdosta State and a few others here and there really dominate D-II.

Minnesota-Duluth did win it last year as a darkhorse.

blueballs
December 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Pretty much.

GVSU, NW Missouri, North Alabama, Valdosta State and a few others here and there really dominate D-II.

Minnesota-Duluth did win it last year as a darkhorse.

...and those schools play pretty good football too!

In 2003 Valdosta State (coached by Chris Hatcher) issued a woodshed beating to eventual 1-AA semifinalist Florida Atlantic (coached by Howard Schnellenberger), I don't remember the score but the margin of victory was at least four touchdowns.

Silenoz
December 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
NAIA and III have no parity

II barely has any

GannonFan
December 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM
NAIA and III have no parity

II barely has any

Agreed - DII is certainly better at it than DIII is, but it's not anything like FCS or above.

DIII football has gotten boring - there's nothing on the horizon to say that these two teams won't be back there again next year, too, for a 6th in a row.

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
...and those schools play pretty good football too!

In 2003 Valdosta State (coached by Chris Hatcher) issued a woodshed beating to eventual 1-AA semifinalist Florida Atlantic (coached by Howard Schnellenberger), I don't remember the score but the margin of victory was at least four touchdowns.

Ya they were/are pretty good!

Grand Valley and Northwest Missouri are also very impressibe.

Abeline Christian, UNA, West Texas A&M, Carson Newman all have really good FB teams.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
If the PSAC schools would increase their scholarship limit they would become perennial powers. One of them usually makes it pretty deep in the playoffs before getting creamed by a GVSU, NW Missouri St or the like. Bloomsburg did make the title game in '00 losing to Delta State 63-34. Cal (PA) and IUP both have traditionally strong programs. The eastern side has had more parity over the years.

GannonFan
December 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
If the PSAC schools would increase their scholarship limit they would become perennial powers. One of them usually makes it pretty deep in the playoffs before getting creamed by a GVSU, NW Missouri St or the like. Bloomsburg did make the title game in '00 losing to Delta State 63-34. Cal (PA) and IUP both have traditionally strong programs. The eastern side has had more parity over the years.

Remember, though, that the PSAC has been making it deep into the playoffs recently due to the rigid regionalization that is done at the DII level. The PSAC doesn't play anyone south of Virginia or west of PA until the national semifinal round. Granted, there have been some teams of late that have been good (that Cal team 2 years ago was probably the best DII team in the nation) but some of the success has been due to the playoff structure - FCS regionalization is nowhere as strict as DII is.

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2009, 03:06 PM

The PSAC had a rule limiting scholarships, but that has been recently repealed.

Cal and IUP will be giving 36 scholarship soon. Edinboro and Slippery Rock will be giving over 20 as I understand. Most of the schools in the East give about 10, and I think all are below 20 (even West Chester)

Seahawks Fan
December 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM
All ten of Mount Union's championships have come after 1991 which was the last year that Division I basketball schools could compete in Division III football (the so called Dayton rule). Prior to that time there was no similar dominating team in Division III football. Dayton and Wagner won championships in 1980 and 1987 respectively. Augustana, Ithica, Wittenberg and Union seemed to be the powerhouses in Division III. What happened to those schools?

blukeys
December 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Isn't it amazing that the expansion of the D-3 playoffs from 16 teams to 32 teams has not changed the dominance of these two teams.

As an opponent of FCS expansion, this just proves my point that adding more teams to the playoffs does not change the teams at the top but does water down the first round of the playoffs.

93henfan
December 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Personally, I think it would be awesome if the NCAA implemented a relegation system for all sports.

No way. Notre Dame in D3 just wouldn't be right.

Torgo
December 18th, 2009, 06:53 PM
The PSAC had a rule limiting scholarships, but that has been recently repealed.

Cal and IUP will be giving 36 scholarship soon. Edinboro and Slippery Rock will be giving over 20 as I understand. Most of the schools in the East give about 10, and I think all are below 20 (even West Chester)

I went to Lock Haven before transferring to Montana...I don't know how many scholarships the Bald Eagles give out, but they sure as hell don't use them for football. When I was there a couple years ago reading the roster was like reading a United Nations phone book. Those scholarships were basically used to increase 'diversity' at the school with the team giving full rides to anyone 6'8" from Finland or somewhat fast from Austria.

Of course they never left the bench on a team that has won 1 game in the past 3 seasons.

Hell, I didn't even know Lock Haven had a football team until I asked a Finnish guy why in the hell he'd go to Lock Haven.

They did it with other sports too. One of my best friends was an Australian on the volleyball team that finished her first semester with a GPA in the Bluto Blutarsky range. The team was filled with nothing but girls from the pacific rim, one Lithuanian, and one Pennsylvanian.

Frustrating to say the least.

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I went to Lock Haven before transferring to Montana...I don't know how many scholarships the Bald Eagles give out, but they sure as hell don't use them for football. When I was there a couple years ago reading the roster was like reading a United Nations phone book. Those scholarships were basically used to increase 'diversity' at the school with the team giving full rides to anyone 6'8" from Finland or somewhat fast from Austria.

Of course they never left the bench on a team that has won 1 game in the past 3 seasons.

Hell, I didn't even know Lock Haven had a football team until I asked a Finnish guy why in the hell he'd go to Lock Haven.

They did it with other sports too. One of my best friends was an Australian on the volleyball team that finished her first semester with a GPA in the Bluto Blutarsky range. The team was filled with nothing but girls from the pacific rim, one Lithuanian, and one Pennsylvanian.

I dont think Lock Haven gives any scholarships in football and it shows. Most PSAC fans thing Lock Haven will soon drop football just as Mansfield did a few years ago.

As I am sure you know Lock Haven is D-I in wrestling and field hocky and actually has really good D-I programs in these sports. It is really all they seem to care about (they dropped baseball this past year as well)

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM

You made a wise decision leaving LHU for Montana. The school has a less than stellar reputation in the state. I don't know how you don't get accepted there to be honest with you. How in the world did you go from LHU to Missoula?

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM
You made a wise decision leaving LHU for Montana. The school has a less than stellar reputation in the state. I don't know how you don't get accepted there to be honest with you. How in the world did you go from LHU to Missoula?

xlolx Lock Haven does have a poor rep in PA for some reason. I work with one gentleman who is a Lock Haven grad and he is a huge meathead and lives up to the LHU stigma.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM
xlolx Lock Haven does have a poor rep in PA for some reason. I work with one gentleman who is a Lock Haven grad and he is a huge meathead and lives up to the LHU stigma.

The school doesn't have a lot of money plus i don't know one academic area they're strong in. I actually think LHU could have a draw. It's rural, but the area is really nice. Plus LHU is not far from State College so for those who have friends at PSU it's an easy weekend gettaway. It gives them a smaller school in a similar enviroment. With that said, the school has never done anything to boost it's image. Same with Mansfield. I have zero clue why anyone would go there. It's even more remote with what i would consider equally as poor programs.

Is it accurate to say that the eastern PSAC schools have a stronger reputation than their western counterparts? West Chester, Shippensburg, Millersville and Kutztown all seem to have stronger reputations than IUP, Cal, Clarion etc. Edinboro might be the best. Maybe it's just that i live in the eastern part of the state so my judgement is skewed.

Franks Tanks
December 18th, 2009, 11:31 PM
The school doesn't have a lot of money plus i don't know one academic area their strong in. I actually think LHU could have a draw. It's rural, but the area is really nice. Plus LHU is not far from State College so for those who have friends at PSU it's an easy weekend gettaway. It gives them a smaller school in a similar enviroment. With that said, the school has never done anything to boost it's image. Same with Mansfield. I have zero clue why anyone would go there. It's even more remote with what i would consider equally as bad programs.

Is it accurate to say that the eastern PSAC schools have a stronger reputation than their western counterparts? West Chester, Shippensburg, Millersville and Kutztown all seem to have stronger reputations then IUP, Cal, Clarion etc. Edinboro might be the best. Maybe it's just that i live in the eastern part of the state so my judgement is skewed.

I think Mansfield is a bit unique because it is so small. It almost feels like a small isolated liberal arts school due to its size and location., and I think that attracts those that go there. I dont think they have any outstanding programs, but I know a few people who went there and they are bright people.

West Chester, Ship and Millersville are typically the highest rated PSAC schools I believe. East Stroudsburg is getting better. Bloom is Bloom. Kutztown is pretty good, but they get a lot of the ghetto kids from Allentown who stay for a year and flunk out. IUP is the biggest PSAC school and has a pretty good rep. Slippery Rock is known as gym teacher U. Cal is a crap hole located in what is basically West Virginia. I dont know a whole lot about Edinboro or Clarion.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM
The game tomorrow should be interesting. They're getting hammered in Salem, VA.

ngineer
December 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM
The school doesn't have a lot of money plus i don't know one academic area they're strong in. I actually think LHU could have a draw. It's rural, but the area is really nice. Plus LHU is not far from State College so for those who have friends at PSU it's an easy weekend gettaway. It gives them a smaller school in a similar enviroment. With that said, the school has never done anything to boost it's image. Same with Mansfield. I have zero clue why anyone would go there. It's even more remote with what i would consider equally as poor programs.

Is it accurate to say that the eastern PSAC schools have a stronger reputation than their western counterparts? West Chester, Shippensburg, Millersville and Kutztown all seem to have stronger reputations than IUP, Cal, Clarion etc. Edinboro might be the best. Maybe it's just that i live in the eastern part of the state so my judgement is skewed.

A lot of the 'emphasis' at these schools started when they were "State Teachers Colleges" . My father was a captain of one the Millersville squads in the late 1940's. Many of the schools emphasized certain areas i.e. Mansfield in home economics/music; West Chester was known for music and phys ed; Millersville was known for a very good special ed, and math depts, Kutztown was considered one of the tops in arts; California with industrial arts, IUP with music and math; etc. As the schools transitioned into 'universities' they have tried to become something to everyone. A number of the schools have been perennial losers in football, ie. Mansfield and Cheyney; however, some have been perennial powerhouses in certain sports, especially wrestling:Clarion, Bloomsburg, Edinboro, Slippery Rock (though now disbandedxsmhx), Lock Haven; football: California, West Chester, Bloomsburg and East Stroudsburg.

LacesOut
December 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Game has been postponed to a 4pm start, due to the snow storm. And it went from being ESPN2 to being on ESPN Classic and ESPN360.

holycrossC
December 19th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Ya they were/are pretty good!

Grand Valley and Northwest Missouri are also very impressibe.

Abeline Christian, UNA, West Texas A&M, Carson Newman all have really good FB teams.

check out these teams rosters even the D3 teams, ther O lines are huge.

Franks Tanks
December 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
check out these teams rosters even the D3 teams, ther O lines are huge.

Huge doesnt always equal good--but yes these guys are good.

MR. CHICKEN
December 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Game has been postponed to a 4pm start, due to the snow storm. And it went from being ESPN2 to being on ESPN Classic and ESPN360.

OH WELL....COODAH SOLD MO' PILSNER........ON DUH DUECE........xconfusedx.......AWK!

ngineer
December 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Sounds like an NCAA investigation is in the offing.....xrolleyesx

JohnStOnge
December 20th, 2009, 07:04 AM
That was a good game. Mount Union loses for the 5th time this decade. I think the Purple Raiders had a great shot to win but fumbled on two consecutive possessions when they had the momentum after coming back to tie. The second time was particularly hurtful as it was at the end of a run that would've given them a first down at the Wisconsin Whitewater 25 or so. The 10 point final margin is deceptive because Whitewater kicked a field goal after Mount Union had to go for it on 4th down from deep in its own territory with under a minute left.

Interesting now though because this creates a situation in which Wisconsin Whitewater has beaten Mount Union in the title game on two of the past three occasions. Plus it makes it 2-3 in their five title game matchups which is as close as a five game series can get.

MplsBison
December 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
IMO, public schools should not be allowed to compete at the DIII level.

It should be for small private schools. Wisconsin's non DI schools (all are DIII right now) should be forced up to DII.

Franks Tanks
December 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM
IMO, public schools should not be allowed to compete at the DIII level.

It should be for small private schools. Wisconsin's non DI schools (all are DIII right now) should be forced up to DII.

You cant make such sweeping generalizations. Some states have public colleges with less than 3,000 students, and many small private schools desire to compete at a higher level.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Really entertaining game!! How many FCS teams would Mount Union's WR Cecil Shorts III have made an impact on!!!!

http://www2.muc.edu/Athletics/men_s_teams/football/Profiles/cecil_shorts.aspx

10 receptions for 185 yards and two TDs yesterday!!!!