PDA

View Full Version : Six finalists announced for SHSU head football coaching job

CSN Log
December 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
12-14-2009 12:52 PM

Six finalists announced for SHSU head football coaching job

Sam Houston State director of athletics Bobby Williams has announced the names of the six men he will interview this week for the university’s job as head football coach.

The candidates are New Mexico offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey, Central Missouri head coach Willie Fritz, University of Alabama-Birmingham offensive coordinator Kim Helton, University of Houston co-offensive coordinator Jason Phillips, Klein Oak High School head coach Dave Smith and former A&M Consolidated and Killeen Harker Heights head coach Ross Rogers.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/12/14/six-finalists-announced-for-shsu-head-fo?blog=2#more5971)

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM
So, thoughts?

Phillips and Dickey the front-runners?
Fritz the 'safe choice' if neither of those come about?

putter
December 14th, 2009, 05:20 PM
so are they going to waste the whole recruiting period to name a coach or just most of it???? xeyebrowx

MaximumBobcat
December 14th, 2009, 11:12 PM
JP is the best choice, but who knows if he would actually want to go to SHSU...Sumlin has been good to him.

Fritz could be ok, but would probably be about the same as Whitten...a few decent seasons and a few bad seasons.

lionsrking2
December 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM
So, thoughts?

Phillips and Dickey the front-runners?
Fritz the 'safe choice' if neither of those come about?

Credible sources in our neck of the woods are hearing Dickey is the frontrunner...who knows.

katstrapper
December 15th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Darryl Dickey does not get me excited about SHSU football. BW should be pushing the Jason Phillips hire.
After reading his bio he would be the best choice by far. Sure Dickey had success at UNT with 4 conference championships, but I dont recall him setting the world on fire in the FBS worst conference. If Dickey is the front runner then Bobby Williams is looking for someone with head coaching experience on the college level.

Jason Phillips is young and an up and coming coach. I think Phillips should be ready to get out and not be the CO-OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR. SHSU job could be the next step in his career. Hopefully UH OL Coach BJ Anderson could help steer Phillips our way. Anderson was the OL coach under Whitten for 3 years.

so are they going to waste the whole recruiting period to name a coach or just most of it????

Hopefully we will know something soon since recruiting is under way and it is time to hit the pavement running and also get a coaching staff in place. I would venture to guess we should hear something this week on the hring, which is quick by SHSU and State of Texas hiring standards.

If Willie Fritz is hired, BW should have kept Whitten and not worried about this whole process. Several years ago I would have said lets pursue Fritz, but as Williams said himself, it is time to move this football program forward and back to playoff football.

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM
so are they going to waste the whole recruiting period to name a coach or just most of it???? xeyebrowx

You must not be following the Nicholls State situation...

Nicholls announced a committee about three weeks into their search and they named an interim. Guess they may be waiting til the summer to get a head coach!

SHSU fired Todd Whitten on Nov. 23, just prior to the Thanksgiving holidays. Some state regulations handcuffed the hiring process, but it will be less than a month before SHSU makes the hire.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Word is reaching ears that a head coach will be announced Friday.

Willie Fritz seems to have emerged as the front-runner for the job according to several sources, though I can not vouch for that - as I have not heard it myself.

If I hear anything, will post here.