PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State @ Montana Semifinal Game Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

asknoquarter21
December 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM
He never got a chance to take a punt, you haven't seen anything yet. Just tune in next week. We'll see how he does.

I realize this and I hope he does great, you can't take Hudgins out of a game. Marinara is boy in the same paragraph.

Good luck Friday to the griz

gbhmt
December 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I realize this and I hope he does great, you can't take Hudgins out of a game. Marinara is boy in the same paragraph.

Good luck Friday to the griz

I'll keep this post in mind next week.

mistersykes
December 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Congrats Griz. Amazing game...very evenly matched. I'm so bummed right now. Just gotta hand it to Montana. They took care of business and we didn't. Beat Nova.

Horseshoe App
December 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Congrats Griz. Amazing game...very evenly matched. I'm so bummed right now. Just gotta hand it to Montana. They took care of business and we didn't. Beat Nova.

+1xpeacex

HiHiYikas
December 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Outstanding game. Way to play, Griz. Good luck next week.

bpcats
December 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Biggest difference in the game was App's inability to stop the running game of the Griz in a cold weather game. AE, Moore, and Quick were fun to watch.

Mariani is all the he is hyped to be. Selle only threw his way 4 times and 3 of those went for big completions.

Great game though, a lot different than watching Nova' and WM with game day atmosphere and crowd.

gbhmt
December 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Biggest difference in the game was App's inability to stop the running game of the Griz in a cold weather game. AE, Moore, and Quick were fun to watch.

Mariani is all the he is hyped to be. Selle only threw his way 4 times and 3 of those went for big completions.

Great game though, a lot different than watching Nova' and WM with game day atmosphere and crowd.

+1

Got it all right.

DJOM
December 12th, 2009, 07:21 PM
This was a game for the ages. It is a shame that one team had to lose. Congrats to Montana. App State looked incredible.

wofford92
Only Wofford beats Montana in Montana in the Playoffs! xsmiley_wix
Kidding aside awesome game...

GrizDen
Much respect for ASU. Thanks to the majority of the fans keeping this thread classy. It was a refreshing experience. I'll be curious to see who has the pleasure of filling AE's shoes next year.

Bring home trophy #3 Griz!

caribbeanhen
December 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I will have to say though, to be fair, Mariani sure isn't the player he was hyped up to be.

I kept looking for him, but the QB never seemed to...

Monarch Nation
December 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM
That was a great football game! Congrats to Montana, and to Appy State. It was a shame that somebody had to lose that game. Either one of you guys would clean our clock without working up a sweat. xnodx

Griz fans, it was the first time I has seen your stadium outside of the still shots on the internet. Very impressive! Beautiful scenery until the weather rolled in.

Appy fans, Edwards was a joy to watch play. You guys will really miss him. Congrats to him for graduating tomorrow. He is a role model for the student athlete.

The final should be a good one.

TokyoGriz
December 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Much respect for ASU. Thanks to the majority of the fans keeping this thread classy. It was a refreshing experience. I'll be curious to see who has the pleasure of filling AE's shoes next year.

Bring home trophy #3 Griz!

For sure who will pick up the torch for App on QB? App has alot of talent but with so much ridng on just one man you gotta wonder how next year will be for them.

One thing about montana is every year for the last 17 years or so we have been reloading each year and running deep in the playoffs.

One strength montana has is the depth of talent on the team. Someone always steps up and takes the place of that great starter.

Good luck next year app.

Go Griz in Chatty!! :):)

Torgo
December 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think my heart has slowed down yet, its been going a good 150 bpm for the past four hours now...

GrizzlyBill
December 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
AE put on a hell of a drive there at the end. He deserves to be playing sundays, I don't care what people say about his size. I feel bad for the entire App team for playing their hearts out and coming up short in the end, but that game could have easily gone either way. I wish they were on the other side of the bracket and we met them next week but we finally got to see the AE Mountaineers in action from the other side of the ball. What an honor to have played those guys.

GO GRIZ!

What he said!

Skjellyfetti
December 12th, 2009, 07:34 PM
For sure who will pick up the torch for App on QB? App has alot of talent but with so much ridng on just one man you gotta wonder how next year will be for them.

Three possibilities, imo.

1. Jamal Jackson 6'3... he'll be a redshirt freshman next year. Apparently can run and throw very well... but, we haven't seen him in a game situation yet.

2. Travaris Cadet... led us to comeback against ECU. Amazing runner... but, he really needs to work on his throwing and decision making.

3. Willy Korn... highly touted guy from Clemson. He has announced that he is transferring. Really good friends with Blake and Trey Elder... possibly looking at App.

Deandre Presley is another possibility. He started WCU game and ECU game this year. Cadet came in against ECU and had a great game and he was moved to receiver. That might have been premature... he might get a shot at winning the QB job again.

Basically, it will be an interesting off season for App. We have a lot of guys coming back next year but have one gaping vacancy that will be hard to replace. We won't be able to throw in another Armanti... but, I think we can have a great season next year if we can find a capable replacement.

asknoquarter21
December 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM

One thing about montana is every year for the last 17 years or so we have been reloading each year and running deep in the playoffs.

One strength montana has is the depth of talent on the team. Someone always steps up and takes the place of that great starter.

Good luck next year app.

Go Griz in Chatty!! :):)

I have heard something very similar to this before.

Richie Williams, does anyone remember him now.

ASU has an offense that can be successful without a Superman at QB. It just won't be able to drive down the field ANY time we need to.

We will be fine

Native
December 12th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Congrats to the Griz for a superb victory and to both teams for a fantastic game! xthumbsupx

asknoquarter21
December 12th, 2009, 07:36 PM
It is nice to have 2 solid options in place and let the battle it out though

Block-A
December 12th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have heard something very similar to this before.

Richie Williams, does anyone remember him now.

ASU has an offense that can be successful without a Superman at QB. It just won't be able to drive down the field ANY time we need to.

We will be fine

I have no doubt that App will be a Championship contender again next year.

BUT, I also think that AE was a special player that we won't see again for a long while.

At least it gives us something to talk about before next season starts.

xsmiley_wix

Grrrrriz
December 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Congratulations, Montana. Reynolds took this game for you.

Play this game in Boone and we come out on top.... Maybe next year....

You wouldn't have been able to stop Reynolds or our O line in Boone either. Give credit where its due. We were the better team this time.

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
we will miss armanti edwards, but we have lost a "once in a lifetime" type of quarterback before, actually within my time as a student at appalachian.

GrizzlyBill
December 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
This opponent was much different from the last two. They came to play, and were not intimidated by the crowd or the pressure of the playoffs--as I expected. I'm just glad we survived.

Seemed to me:
Desire to win: Even
Athleticism: Griz by slim of margin, more defensive big hits
Crowd noise: Did make a difference. I think there were 4 or 5 false starts for App
Rushing: About even, maybe edge to Chase
Passing: App
Return game: Griz
Kicking: Griz
Coaching: Both TOPS

Too bad somebody had to lose. Glad it wasn't us.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Vitaris.. I really put a lot of blame on you for this loss

YOU ARE AN IDIOT - ANY "FAN" WHO WOULD PLACE BLAME ON ONE YOUNG MAN IS AN IDIOT - WE DON'T NEED YOU - GO JOIN SOME OTHER FAN BASE ----

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Crowd noise made a difference as did the weather. SMH @ ASU fans who said it wouldn't.

How about that hit on that Kline kid? -- WOW.

Armanti is a beast. Damn near won the game on his own.

Hats off to App, but your chain is ours.

#OnToTheNextOne

Block-A
December 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM
You wouldn't have been able to stop Reynolds or our O line in Boone either. Give credit where its due. We were the better team this time.

Did you read the first line of my post?

Congratulations Montana! Enjoy the win! You deserved it!

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Boone, hopefully next year!

GrizzlyBill
December 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Quote:
I will have to say though, to be fair, Mariani sure isn't the player he was hyped up to be.
Unquote.

People were saying similar comments about Chase after the last two games. App was keying on Mariani. It was expected after all the hype from the last two games. Someone different steps up and takes over the game. It makes us hard to defend. Selle had an off game, for whatever reason. How many did Mariani drop?

Grrrrriz
December 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Did you read the first line of my post?

Congratulations Montana! Enjoy the win! You deserved it!

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Boone, hopefully next year!

Sorry man, my head is throbbing, my brain feels like its about to crawl out of my eyeballs, I can't talk right now, and apparently my reading comprehension is somewhat lacking. You guys have a hell of a team, it was an honor to see Armanti play, and I wish you all the best in the future.

asknoquarter21
December 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I don't think anything had more importance than the weather.

The snow really made ASU slower than normal it took a speed advantage and made everyone slow. Montana had the size and ran All over us. So many drops and the way our offense relies on short passes it was stacked against us.

I have no idea what the outcome would have been with different circumstances but on this day, in this situation Montana won the game. While I still hate the way it played out it did, and today they were a better team, maybe not tomorrow, but the game is played today.

Congrats to the griz players for a hard fought win

Shame for the FCS to have a low attendance total for the championship. This is the worst case scenerio for the attendance in Chatty.

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Sorry man, my head is throbbing, my brain feels like its about to crawl out of my eyeballs, I can't talk right now, and apparently my reading comprehension is somewhat lacking. You guys have a hell of a team, it was an honor to see Armanti play, and I wish you all the best in the future.

thanks, but please change your signature

Grrrrriz
December 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM
thanks, but please change your signature

No problem.

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
No problem.

thanks, ha i was tired of remembering it.xcoolx

WyomingGrizFan
December 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Mighty gracious of ASU fans to being so commendable. It was, quite actually, expected, and equally met. Throught the past fifity years or so I have not met or come across a greater fan support or human dignity than what expresses amongst Appalachian State!!! It mostly won't go away soon as also suspected. We'll meet again on the playing field, perhaps, amongst dearly beloved friends, hopefully, and competitors that appreciate the game as well as the comradery. All the best. There is no need to brag. The dishonor of defeat belongs to no-one. Both were winners tonight.

fltheadgriz
December 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I really hope that ASU can get out of there tonight safely.
In Kalispell we are getting pummeled by the snow. About 4 inches now and by tomorrow morning we should have another 6
Fantastic game and it had me on the edge of my seat the whole game
There is no doubt that AE will be playing Sundays and I think Quick will to. He has some great height!

KiddBrewer
December 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Mighty gracious of ASU fans to being so commendable. It was, quite actually, expected, and equally met. Throught the past fifity years or so I have not met or come across a greater fan support or human dignity than what expresses amongst Appalachian State!!! It mostly won't go away soon as also suspected. We'll meet again on the playing field, perhaps, amongst dearly beloved friends, hopefully, and competitors that appreciate the game as well as the comradery. All the best. There is no need to brag. The dishonor of defeat belongs to no-one. Both were winners tonight.

somebodys gotta lose. theres nothing better than real, true sports fans. nothing but god himself.

paytonlives
December 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
The great thing is these teams have a Home and Home in 2012 and 2013!!!!

TokyoGriz
December 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM
The great thing is these teams have a Home and Home in 2012 and 2013!!!!

For Sure! xnodx

ronpayne
December 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Congrats to the Griz on a great win, and I agree with the others - the home and home series will definitely be a game to attend! Here's to hoping by 2013 I have a job and can afford to come take in some of your good hospitality. Lastly, congrats to Armanti and ALL his fellow seniors for making the last 4 years of football something to remember!

Griz, good luck next week - beat Villey!

I said it's great to be a Mountaineer!!!!

gbhmt
December 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I think this game has solidified this as a rivalry. xnodx

uofmman1122
December 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Wow...

First off, Armanti Edwards is the greatest opposing quarterback I've ever seen. I don't care what other people say or who wins the Heisman tonight, Edwards is the best player in college football.

The weather was so terrible, it was perfect. I can hardly talk right now. My voice is completely shot. This was the best game I've ever seen.

Hats off to all the Mountaineer players. You were by far the best team we've seen this year. That offense is unbelievable.

I'm still so hyped. This game was everything that was advertised, and more! It may not be, but it feels like we won the NC tonight. I'm so excited!

Again, great game, ASU! The only way that game could have been better is if it had been for the NC! xthumbsupx

ASU Tailgaiteer
December 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM
The story for App was coming up empty on each of those last three drives: INT, missed FG, incomplete pass with :00 on the clock. Three great drives, but zero points to show.

Tack on the failed 4th down play in the 1st half and the blocked FG.

But, I give credit to Montana's D. Some of the dropped passes were weather related, but many were due to receivers hearing footsteps (or worse on the Matt Cline hit).

Best of luck to the Griz in Chatty!

Peems
December 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM
that was awesome. I feel like i've witnessed two of the greatest griz games of all time, within 3 weeks. It was an honor to be there and watch those guys battle.

Ivytalk
December 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Congrats to Montana. Condolences to App State. It was a Snow White War out there.

YoUDeeMan
December 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Congrats on a fabulous game, Montana.

Chase Reynolds and your offensive line just took over the game.

No surprise there. The only surprise was that they got away from the run earlier. UMass did the same thing in the championship game a few years ago. Running all over Appy and then the coach got cute. Same crap almost caught up to the Griz this game, too.

Griz win...despite themselves and the refs.

And hey, for all of those clowns who watched the nova/W&M game and said that Appy and Montana would score a billion points on either of those teams...I'm guessing a 24-17 game suddenly puts things into perspective.

Congrats Griz! Great D. You rarely miss tackles. xthumbsupx

The win was expected...but you didn't have to help App get that close. xoopsx

YoUDeeMan
December 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Ironic that the weather and crowd noise were both poo pooed by APPY fans and team before the game.

But both seemed to have a rather significant affect on the game with all the key false starts, and dropped passes by appy.

Nah, they played in the Big House, so the noise didn't bother them...xrolleyesx

Of course it did. xnodx xlolx

the last indian
December 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
That was as good a FCS game as I hae ever seen. Two superb teams, hard to see much daylight between those two and D-1. Congratulation to both, in my book they are both champions. It will be hard to imagine 'Nova matching that explosiveness, but as they say, "that why they play the game".
It also sends a message to other programs as to what is takes to excel at this level. A high hurdle indeed, IMO.

SpeedkingATL
December 12th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Congrats to the Griz for a great win. Reynolds and the Griz line really brought it in the second half. Have to say it looked like every player on both sides gave their all tonight.xbowx

Griz, you might as well go ahead and finish an undefeated season.

Proud to be a Mountaineer tonight.xthumbsupx

back2back
December 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Nah, they played in the Big House, so the noise didn't bother them...xrolleyesx
Of course it did. xnodx xlolx

Joe Flacco can tell you about crowd noise in Chattanooga as well.

Elon Fightin' Christians
December 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
WAY TO GO GRIZZ !!!!

What a game! What an atmosphere! IF ELON ever plays at MONT I want to go.

YoUDeeMan
December 12th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Joe Flacco can tell you about crowd noise in Chattanooga as well.

And he can tell you about the noise in a whole host of NFL stadiums as well. :D

Grizaholic17
December 12th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Congrats to the Griz for a great win. Reynolds and the Griz line really brought it in the second half. Have to say it looked like every player on both sides gave their all tonight.xbowx

Griz, you might as well go ahead and finish an undefeated season.

Proud to be a Mountaineer tonight.xthumbsupx

As you should be. I plan on making a trip to the Rock in a couple years time to see these teams play again. I can't get over your team's class and absolute respect for the game. Loved every minute of this one (it was just the last 38 seconds I didn't like :p almost had a hernia)

TokyoGriz
December 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
As you should be. I plan on making a trip to the Rock in a couple years time to see these teams play again. I can't get over your team's class and absolute respect for the game. Loved every minute of this one (it was just the last 38 seconds I didn't like :p almost had a hernia)

Man I think everyone watching/listening to the game was on the edge of their seats with a near cardiac. Except David Coulson that is he seemed to think the game wasnt much according to his article. http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4273371 Thats ok though Coulson is no Montana fan thats for sure, some have accused him of being in love with AE but eh who knows.

This game was one of the best IMO though. The crowd the atmosphere.... the weather! And down to the last play of the game what more can you ask for? Great game by both teams. Even with no real pass offense the griz held on.

Really looking forward to the 1011 and 1012 home and home with ASU.

Go Griz in Chatty!

back2back
December 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM
And he can tell you about the noise in a whole host of NFL stadiums as well. :D

Couldn't beat Armanti! Hope they play against each other again, but we will find out. Good luck Hens in '10.

BuckeyeGrizzlyFan
December 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Been to the Big House. Trust me, noise level aint got nothing on WaGriz.

Squealofthepig
December 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
First, wow, I've been an AE fan all along, but dang, the announcers were right when they said that Montana had not seen anyone like Edwards all year. And really not in a long time. I hate to see his career come to an end, but if I - or any Griz fan out there - could have a say, I'm glad it ended at Wa Griz.

Second, ASU played stupendously. There were a few hiccups for both teams here and there, but overall, this was just an outstanding game to watch regardless of who you were watching, and the atmosphere in Missoula was incredible. I do hope all of our non Big Fluffy FCS fans caught a bit of why we love our Griz football so much.

Third - we gotta take up a collection and buy clothes for more of our fans. I mean, really - how many frostbitten nipples does any one fanbase need?

Fourth - some odd playcalling by Montana after our first drive, but it looked like we wanted to break some big plays and go up big early, so we went from moving-the-sticks football to bust-'em-big-and-demoralize-'em football. Major kudos to ASU for never being broken and playing the full game. Best overall football game I've seen in many, many years, and as others have said, it's a shame this wasn't the NC game, and looking forward to our home and home with ASU!

Fifth - see some of you in Chatty!

Mikeyosef
December 13th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Great game, hated to see us loose but can't take anything away from either team. Last Saturday I toyed with the idea of making it out for the game and now, even with the loss, I can say I regret not pulling the trigger. IMO this was the best matchup for the NC but this year the chips just didn't fall that way. Good luck to the Griz next week; I'll be watching and pulling for you. I think either of our teams playing a good game can beat Villinova, too bad only one of us gets to trty this year. Go gettem Griz!!

Also, Armanti, thanks so much making our team so exciting to watch for the last 4 years. I can appreciate all the compliments the Griz fans are giving Armanti but to REALLY appreciate his game you have to see him on a dry surface for a full 60 minutes. I'm sure the same is true for some of your guys. Can't wait to watch you next week.

ASUTodd
December 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Seriously??? Man you have NO CLUE. I'm ashamed you even call yourself an ASU fan... You are entitled to your opinion but Vitaris gave his all in TERRIBLE conditions. He not only had to deal with the conditions but also bad snaps and a HUGE line that was coming at him. You can't blame him for this one..

APPS
December 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
ASU played stupendously. There were a few hiccups for both teams here and there, but overall, this was just an outstanding game to watch regardless of who you were watching

App played very badly, so did Montana. The 14-13 game on Friday was better played.

It was a cool game to watch, love snow games, and the crowd was loud. That said, those are not the reasons I love watching football. I like to see two teams playing well and that is not what happened yesterday. 24-17 between two good offensive teams with mediocre defenses? Please. The game was eye candy but ranks nowhere among the best played. Griz better bring a better game to Chatty because they are going to be playing a decent offense and very good defense. I do think William and Mary matched up against the Griz better but that Nova team is better ranked for a reason. xpeacex

appsfan
December 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Congrats Griz, good luck in Chattanooga.

Proud Griz Man
December 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/4/cf/020/4cf0204a-e7c7-11de-9be7-001cc4c03286.image.jpg?_dc=1260695406

MISSOULA — It lived up to all the hype, and then some.

But when the final pass of Armanti Edwards’ illustrious career fell to the turf at the goal line Saturday night, the party was on for the Montana Grizzlies.
Pack your bags, Griz fans. Montana is headed back to Chattanooga, Tenn.
Quarterback Andrew Selle connected with receiver Jabin Sambrano for a 25-yard touchdown pass in the back of the end zone to take the lead, and Montana’s defense stood tall against a last-ditch drive in the final seconds to pull out a 24-17 semifinal victory over Appalachian State at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. The victory sends Montana to the Football Championship Subdivision title game for the second consecutive year, where the Grizzlies will face Villanova on Friday night.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/8/3b/331/83b331f8-e7c7-11de-8572-001cc4c03286.image.jpg?_dc=1260695498

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/missoulian.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/2/2b/84a/22b84a90-e7a5-11de-915a-001cc4c03286.image.jpg?_dc=1260680733

As expected, Armanti Edwards was amazing, and only a break or two here and there kept him from going to his third Division I Football Championship in four seasons.
Edwards ran with authority and passed with accuracy, and he made the final 91 seconds of Montana's 24-17 FCS semifinal win over his Appalachian State Mountaineers seem like an eternity. "There were two key plays early in the drive," said Montana coach Bobby Hauck. "There was a scramble play where we couldn't get Armanti down (he threw it away). We had him tackled and that might've ended the game.

"The next was a 30-yard gain (to B.J. Frazier) in a Cover-2 where he threw in an area about this big."
Hauck was holding his hands a foot apart. "That was a great throw," he said.

Edwards was 5-for-12 on the final drive, including an 11-yard dump-off to Devon Moore down to UM's 3-yard line. Six seconds remained. The Mountaineers called time, then tried a crossing route, and Matt Cline came open - but Griz linebacker Brandon Fisher jumped in front and knocked the pass away. It was his third pass break up.

The bad news: There were still 2 seconds left. Out of timeouts, Edwards took a final shot at the end zone and hit Mike Quick right in the hands. And suddenly, Edwards' college career was over. "I didn't catch it," said Quick. "Like Armanti said, we've been in these situations before. I just didn't end up catching it."

Rekdiver
December 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM
What a game. I hate to see the kids lose but Montana really stepped up. I hope UM carries the mo into the title game. Good luck to the Griz.

Green26
December 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM
App played very badly, so did Montana. The 14-13 game on Friday was better played.

It was a cool game to watch, love snow games, and the crowd was loud. That said, those are not the reasons I love watching football. I like to see two teams playing well and that is not what happened yesterday. 24-17 between two good offensive teams with mediocre defenses? Please. The game was eye candy but ranks nowhere among the best played. Griz better bring a better game to Chatty because they are going to be playing a decent offense and very good defense. I do think William and Mary matched up against the Griz better but that Nova team is better ranked for a reason. xpeacex

Perhaps you should find another sport to follow, if you believe these two teams played poorly. The both played very well. It was an epic battle and great game, played by two outstanding teams.

apppackdad
December 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM
A CLASSIC! Great game for any true football fan. I hate that APP lost, but the Griz
made the plays that a CHAMPION has to make. This game had it all. My lasting memory will be of how hard both teams played and how much respect they showed to each other and the game. xthumbsupx

Congratulations to the Montana Grizzlies, their staff, and their Fans. I think that the APPS and Griz reminded us all that competitiveness and SPORTSMANSHIP still
exist in college football. Hats off to both teams and their fans for this game.

GRIZ don't let this be your National Championship, finish the work, you deserve it!
xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowx xbowxxbowxxbowx
AS ALWAYS , GREAT TO BE A MOUNTAINEER.

APPS
December 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Perhaps you should find another sport to follow, if you believe these two teams played poorly. The both played very well. It was an epic battle and great game, played by two outstanding teams.Perhaps you should try following football if you think that App or the Griz played so well. Was it a battle? Yes. Was it epic? No. Was it a great game? Yes. Did the teams show they were outstanding? No.

If you really think you saw a great Armanti performance then I would say you have not watched too many App games.

Sorry but no koolaid here. We stunk it up too much and the Griz did too. The fact that neither team played great made it a good game.

Does that explain it for you? No smack but that's the way it was. Good luck in Chatty and I hope your offense kicks into gear against a good defense.

xpeacex

putter
December 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Perhaps you should try following football if you think that App or the Griz played so well. Was it a battle? Yes. Was it epic? No. Was it a great game? Yes. Did the teams show they were outstanding? No.

If you really think you saw a great Armanti performance then I would say you have not watched too many App games.

Sorry but no koolaid here. We stunk it up too much and the Griz did too. The fact that neither team played great made it a good game.

Does that explain it for you? No smack but that's the way it was. Good luck in Chatty and I hope your offense kicks into gear against a good defense.

xpeacex

APPS,
Every game is different and you are not going to see either team play 100% perfect, no way. AE had some passes dropped and Selle was not having a great day either but you take what you get and play hard, which both teams did. If you were looking for a perfect game you won't get to watch very many college football games. (PS, its easier to say that after a loss)

billya
December 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Griz win...despite themselves and the refs.
xoopsx
APP GRIZ
Penalties 11-131 2-15 Umm the refs really???? I would say they win with the help of the refs.

Not trying to take anything away from the GRIZ i just think that was a poor statement to make based on the penalties assessed. I really want Montana to beat Villanova.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Perhaps you should find another sport to follow, if you believe these two teams played poorly. The both played very well. It was an epic battle and great game, played by two outstanding teams.

Like all fan bases - we have a few APP "fans" who should forget how to type ---- Great game by 2 great teams - just wished we could have played each other for the NC ----

Green26
December 13th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Perhaps you should try following football if you think that App or the Griz played so well. Was it a battle? Yes. Was it epic? No. Was it a great game? Yes. Did the teams show they were outstanding? No.

xpeacex

You obviously don't understand the game of football. This was great game, and both teams played very well, in spite of the second half conditions. I have gotten calls and texts from friends all over the country, all of whom played college football including one who was runner up for the Heisman one year--and they all said it was an outstanding and exciting game, one of the best they've even seen, and well-played by both teams. Like I said, you might look for another sport, or lay off the keyboard as suggested by one of the other App St posters.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 11:46 AM
APP GRIZ
Penalties 11-131 2-15 Umm the refs really???? I would say they win with the help of the refs.

Not trying to take anything away from the GRIZ i just think that was a poor statement to make based on the penalties assessed. I really want Montana to beat Villanova.

Are you serious? Those penalties were self-inflicted. I'm pretty sure he was referencing the very obvious fumble that the refs blew dead.

B&G
December 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Are you serious? Those penalties were self-inflicted. I'm pretty sure he was referencing the very obvious fumble that the refs blew dead.

Wow, blaming the refs? Yeah some people need to take a nap because they're still cranky. It kills me that App lost but the refs were not the cause. I can really only remember seeing one no call against Montana that I disagreed with. (an offensive pass interference)

For the most part ASU's penalties were very obvious and we even got a couple of breaks like Quick's fumble.

gbhmt
December 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Wow, blaming the refs? Yeah some people need to take a nap because they're still cranky. It kills me that App lost but the refs were not the cause. I can really only remember seeing one no call against Montana that I disagreed with. (an offensive pass interference)

For the most part ASU's penalties were very obvious and we even got a couple of breaks like Quick's fumble.

Agreed. That offensive PI no call was questionable. But my respect for the majority of the App fans on this board has come even higher after this game because after reading the garbage that's coming out of the mouths of most of those on the App message board and the comments on the recap on espn.com, it seems like most of the only intelligent and respectable App fans have found their way to this site. xthumbsupx

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Man, what a game. I hate having to see AE go out like that, but oh well. Great season boys. So close, but yet so far.

TheDancinMonarch
December 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
GREAT GAME!!!

I feel safe in saying that no BCS game will come close for excitement, atmosphere or drama.

APPS
December 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Like all fan bases - we have a few APP "fans" who should forget how to type ---- Great gameWhy do you keep typing then? You actually thought App played a "great game"??? What were you smoking?
You obviously don't understand the game of football. This was great game, and both teams played very well
Keep smacking and drinking the koolaid. I said it was a great game and I said it was poorly played. Play like that on Friday and you lose. Have a nice day.

billya
December 13th, 2009, 01:23 PM

I didn't blame anyone this is why I hate this board people take things and make stupid ass comments. I see you are in charlotte If you would like to meet and discuss my crankyness I would be just fine with that you piece of ****.

LovetheGriz
December 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
xhurrayxHats off to both teams and fans! Great support of your teams, great game, and the mutual respect for two powerhouse teams makes it even better. This game was so exciting, I read this forum (and 20 other internet sites) off and on for four days!

Thank you to all App fans who came to Missoula. I hope you enjoyed yourselves despite the loss, got a chance to see some of beautiful western Montana and were treated well by Griznation. If there was ever a time I wished I could have made it back to my hometown....

App State, I am now a fan of yours too and will follow your team next year. I agree that the games matching our two teams in the future will be great to look forward to.

GO GRIZ!! FINISH AT THE TOP IN CHATTY!

Green26
December 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Why do you keep typing then? You actually thought App played a "great game"??? What were you smoking?
Keep smacking and drinking the koolaid. I said it was a great game and I said it was poorly played. Play like that on Friday and you lose. Have a nice day.

You don't seem to get it. The game was not "poorly played". Both teams played well, especially under the second half conditions.

I suppose you think Armanti Edwards played poorly too? Just for the record, I believe Edwards played very well.

There is no koolaid involved. I attended the game. I watched the replay. I played college football. I have talked to scores of people who believe the teams played well, not perfect and could have done some things better, but they played well for the most part. You obviously don't understand or appreciate the game. Get another sport is my suggestion.

AppMan
December 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM

You are a moron.

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
You are a moron.
Exactly, you can't blame a guy for missing a 44 yarder and having another blocked. People these days. xnonox

Green26
December 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
You are a moron.

I agree with you, AppMan. The weather conditions got bad as the game went on. It was getting slippery. The wind was blowing. Several of the snaps were less than perfect. Those were hard kicking conditions. He made one of about 47 yards I believe. Even if he makes one of those kicks, UM still wins.

There were dozens of other plays that could have changed the course of the game. You can't pick out one play, and blame the play or the player for a loss. That's just plain stupid.

I recall the Montana all-american kicker missing from about 46 against Wofford. If he makes it, we win the game. Now that kicker, Dan Carpenter, is a second year NFL kicker for the Dolphins and I believe still leading the NFL in FG kicking percentage this season.

grizband
December 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM
so is Wofford still the only team from the SoCon to win in WA-Griz?
According to my signature - yes. xthumbsupx

mlbowl
December 13th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I didn't blame anyone this is why I hate this board people take things and make stupid ass comments. I see you are in charlotte If you would like to meet and discuss my crankyness I would be just fine with that you piece of ****.

Why would he want to meet you....everyone can see you're an internet tough guy;)

B&G
December 13th, 2009, 06:43 PM

No thanks. I already have a chick. Thanks for the offer though. xthumbsupx

Silenoz
December 13th, 2009, 08:35 PM
TRUMAINE JOHNSON WITH A BROKEN ARMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What?

Silenoz
December 13th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Looks like most posters were very gracious in defeat AND victory. Well done

Green26
December 14th, 2009, 12:23 AM
App played very badly, so did Montana.
xpeacex

You later said the game "was poorly played".

This is what the App St coach said in the post-game press conference:

"We played well and they played well when they had to play well.

I thought we played well.... It was a great college football game."

Are you telling us you know more about the game, and the game of football, than your coach?

billya
December 14th, 2009, 09:48 AM

I was not blaming the refs at all. I was just responding to the post saying that the refs helped Appstate. I thought it was a great game and very exciting no doubt. Thankfully my previous post was removed by the mods as it was out of line and I regretted it. Go Griz!!

Waco Kid
December 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Tough loss to take knowing we were so close despite all the penalties (which we deserved). Both teams played their tails off in a great enviornment on a national stage. More than anything I hate to see AE go out with a loss just one game away from another NC Game. He did everything he could to get us there, but Montana simply made one more play than we did.

I can't wait for the Griz to come to Boone in 2012. I'm already planning for the trip to Missoula for 2013.

Ronbo
December 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM
5 false starts. BooYa! GrizNation!

Rekdiver
December 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I finally saw the stats from the game. I think it speaks to the efficiency of Um to have 30 plays less, outgained by 120 yards, 9 first downs and still do what you need to do to win. They didn't beat themselves. I had no idea ASU moved that much against the Griz. If I'm not misaken that makes the 3rd game this year UM won when losing the statistical battle. UNI and EWU were the other 2. They will have to have a similar effort to beat Nova. Bend but don't break........... Wow............Kinda like a Rocky movie!

Torgo
December 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Montana's defense has been great at that this year. The yards are coming against them, but when they're needed big plays just seem to happen.

To have the 63rd ranked total defense but the 19th ranked scoring defense is something. Bend but don't break indeed.

Its been said to death, but what a game that was by both teams. One of those times where you feel sorry that someone had to lose because both of those teams deserved to win. I'm really looking forward to 2012/2013...and hopefully a re-match next year in Chattanooga.

putter
December 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I finally saw the stats from the game. I think it speaks to the efficiency of Um to have 30 plays less, outgained by 120 yards, 9 first downs and still do what you need to do to win. They didn't beat themselves. I had no idea ASU moved that much against the Griz. If I'm not misaken that makes the 3rd game this year UM won when losing the statistical battle. UNI and EWU were the other 2. They will have to have a similar effort to beat Nova. Bend but don't break........... Wow............Kinda like a Rocky movie!

That has been the Griz all year. Hauck doesn't care about how many yards they give up, just keep them out of the endzone. It was that way against NAU, and EWU. Got thrown all day but still got it done.

Silenoz
December 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM
That has been the Griz all year. Hauck doesn't care about how many yards they give up, just keep them out of the endzone. It was that way against NAU, and EWU. Got thrown all day but still got it done.

And Davis, and... every team we ever play

putter
December 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
And Davis, and... every team we ever play

Very true...

ericsaid
December 14th, 2009, 02:47 PM
If Brian Quick catches that pass.......

BearIt
December 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM

If Selle didn't overthrow some of those passes we would have won by 14 or 21 points.

One of his worst games for completion percentage.

BearIt
December 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM

If the ref had spotted the ball 1/2" in the other direction on the 4th down play, the play with Quick never happens.

You shouldn't play the "if" game. Both sides can play it and all it does is make you lose sleep wondering "what if?" Not worth losing sleep:)

Rekdiver
December 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Wel he didn't..........Eric good luck to the Pirates in that 2nd rate bowl!

mistersykes
December 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
C'mon guys. None of this "if"/SOS/penalty BS. Makes it sound like sour grapes. The Griz got it done, we didn't.

phillyAPP
December 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
C'mon guys. None of this "if"/SOS/penalty BS. Makes it sound like sour grapes. The Griz got it done, we didn't.

Amen .... Merry Christmas ......... i hope its a great game in Chattanoga friday night

Monarch History
December 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Just got back home from some family business. I was able to watch both FCS games on ESPN and although my teams lost they were both great and fun game to watch. The ASU and Montana game was a classic. The stadium and fans were the best I've seen in FCS the last few years. Congratulations to the Griz and goodluck in Chatty.

grizband
December 14th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Teams who out gained their offense, but still lost to the Griz this year:
UC Davis
Northern Arizona
Eastern Washington
App State

So really, its only happened in 4/14 games the Griz have played so far in 2009. Not saying that is great, but also not nearly the dire straits some would lead you to believe.

Also, teams who rushed for more yards in a game than Montana:
Eastern Washington
South Dakota State

mmiller_34
July 31st, 2018, 12:32 AM
Just came across this game on YouTube and rewatched it. Just as exciting as I remember it being when watching it live. It was such an unbelievable game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6RhO5SeeHk

It is a good watch to get you hyped up for football season.