PDA

View Full Version : How many think GSU will be a playoff team in the next 2 years?

GSU Eagle
December 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
After the pit we descended into the last few years we finally are getting back to our roots-- option football.

I believe we will be back, but I don't know how soon.

SpeedkingATL
December 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Impossible to say until the new coach has been there a while. GSU has the tradition that should help in recruiting. It didn't take Johnson long at GTech so maybe GSU will successfully make the change as well. The SoCon is a little down so a 20% improvement could win a few more games.xcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
December 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Do y'all already have a quarterback/athlete you can plug in immediately for the triple option? Will the new coach have to go out and find one this offseason?

JMUNJ08
December 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Can you get the right talent again for the system to run right? If you have players for it now, then maybe next year with the expanded playoffs

Reign of Terrier
December 8th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Really hard to say, I don't think anyone thought PJ would win the ACC in his second year 2 years ago (but teams in the socon have defending the option against Wofford so I it may not be as easy)

Ivytalk
December 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I will yield to my good friends in the Red Flag Gang!xthumbsupx

Eaglesrus
December 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
The only guy that we already have that most people think would really fit the bill as an option quarterback was academically ineligible this year, so we're hoping that he gets that taken care of and is back. He was a quarterback in high school but did not fit into Hatcher's offense and played wide receiver as a true freshman in 2008.

One of the most encouraging things to me has been Paul Johnson's public statements that he will make an effort to steer guys our way that GA Tech was recruiting but they ultimate they can't sign for whatever reason. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution they already have commitments for the 13 available slots they have this year, and I'm sure that they were recruiting a lot more than that.

The Cats
December 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I say it will take at least 4 years..... it will take something the GSU faithful won't tolerate....... time.

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I think they will.........too much talent in that area of the country.

ASUG8
December 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Depends on the new coach - GSU had lots of talent in '08 with near wins against ASU, Elon, and Wofford. Preseason this year I thought GSU would be giving the conference fits, but I don't know what happened exactly.
I think the talent is there, the tradition/reputation/recruiting are there, but it may take more than a couple of years for the new coach to get his feet under him. I hope I'm wrong, because I hate seeing GSU down like this.

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
The better question I think is........Is this board ready for the bandwagon fans that will show up if GSU is a playoff team in the next two years?

;):)

OL FU
December 9th, 2009, 09:21 AM
No offense, but I am a little more concerned about when a certain Greenville SC team will be a playoff team againxnodx

Rekdiver
December 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
If your record is at least 9-2 and you finish no worse than 3rd in the conference you might have a shot at playoffs!!!!!!!!! I am concerned that it will take a long time i.e. 4 years and I'm not sure that ASU will stick around in the SoCon if the conference really starts going downhill.

Saint3333
December 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Making the playoffs should be a lot easier with 20 teams and I'm sure that will expand to 24 team shortly. The SoCon will once again be a three bid league so yes GSU makes the playoffs by 2011.

Georgia Griz
December 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
They will be a playoff team next year. New Coach + Expanded Playoff Field = GSU Playoff Appearance.

SpeedkingATL
December 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Really hard to say, I don't think anyone thought PJ would win the ACC in his second year 2 years ago (but teams in the socon have defending the option against Wofford so I it may not be as easy)

I don't know that the SoCon teams, including ASU have defended the option particularly well. Wofford had so many injuries and graduations that they were a little off this year and still gave us fits. The option has its limitations but teams having short time to prepare for it is always a plus. Find a QB like Foster or Ham and GSU suddenly becomes a threat. For success next year they need to do something about the defense which was pitiful this year.xcoffeex

Eaglesrus
December 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
The better question I think is........Is this board ready for the bandwagon fans that will show up if GSU is a playoff team in the next two years?

It has survived the App State bandwagon fans fairly well, so I'm not thinking that will not be a problem ;):)

AshevilleApp2
December 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM
No offense, but I am a little more concerned about when a certain Greenville SC team will be a playoff team againxnodx

Next year. xnodx But you lose to App again.

OL FU
December 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Next year. xnodx But you lose to App again.

Fortunately yes I am thinking the same thing and it's still unfortunate:o

ThompsonThe
December 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
After the pit we descended into the last few years we finally are getting back to our roots-- option football.

Hasn't someone asked this same question everytime that GaSo has got a new coach in the last four years?

What would that make it, about 25 times?

JohnStOnge
December 9th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I don't know. Before they ditched their system I think they had a pipeline and everything so well established that they could just keep humming along. Whether or not they can ever get back to that after having destroyed it I don't know. It'll be interesting.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM
If there is one person who has been Paul Johnson's sidekick since 1997 it is Jeff Monken. He knows the offense and PJ being at Tech will actually help recruiting. I say we will be back in it in 2011. xthumbsupx

blueballs
December 10th, 2009, 09:29 AM
GSU should improve next year simply because all the young players will be a year older and more mature (73 FR & SO on the 2009 roster!) and the schedule isn't quite as bad as the 2009 version. Whether that translates into a playoff appearance I have no clue, but there is no doubt in my mind they will be a better more competitive team in 2010.

Bull Fan
December 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Since I've transferred over to the Eagle Nation as of a few days ago, I hope that I am exempt from bandwagon status..... remember, my team was assassinated by the university president.

Eaglesrus
December 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Since I've transferred over to the Eagle Nation as of a few days ago, I hope that I am exempt from bandwagon status..... remember, my team was assassinated by the university president.

You are more than welcome as far as I'm concerned. I'm certainly sorry about the circumstances that have caused you to shift, but we can use all the fans we can get. Besides, I think the "bandwagon" status only applies to folks who jump on board when a team is at the top of their game; we're once again hopeful that things will be turning around for us, but all we got is hope right now.

Bull Fan
December 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm bitter, but this is no rebound for me, I'll be happy with my new 'home' ;). GSU will be back, it's just a matter of when. Too much tradition in a hotbed of football, and we're getting back to the bread and butter of what made GSU great with a man who has the ties.

I should probably start another thread, but who would you consider for the top of the list of all-time GSU option QB's? My frame of reference was JR Revere back in '00. I know this is a hot topic as we move back to the option and understand there's no true option QB on the roster right now.

Eaglesrus
December 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I'm bitter, but this is no rebound for me, I'll be happy with my new 'home' ;). GSU will be back, it's just a matter of when. Too much tradition in a hotbed of football, and we're getting back to the bread and butter of what made GSU great with a man who has the ties.

I should probably start another thread, but who would you consider for the top of the list of all-time GSU option QB's? My frame of reference was JR Revere back in '00. I know this is a hot topic as we move back to the option and understand there's no true option QB on the roster right now.

All-time for me hands down would be Tracy Ham, and I think you would get very little argument on that from anyone who saw him play. Beyond Tracy we've had some great ones and you could argue about ranking them all day, but for me Raymond Gross would be #2 and Greg Hill #3. It would be good to get blueballs' take on this question.

whoanellie
December 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM

I am sorry for your plight at Hofstra. I remember our Elon squad traveling up to Long Island in 2001 with the Towers still smoldering to play ya'll. I am also sorry you did not take a closer look at our present program to embrace.
1 a school that has a winning tradition and is on an upswing.
2 great coach originally from Staten Island
3 exciting offense and defense.
4 will always be an under-dog.
5 developing a super atmosphere for football
6 no gnats, don't live in the past, don't fire coaches after 9-win seasons

take a year off and observe where you really want to send your loyalties. xthumbsupx

blueballs
December 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
All-time for me hands down would be Tracy Ham, and I think you would get very little argument on that from anyone who saw him play. Beyond Tracy we've had some great ones and you could argue about ranking them all day, but for me Raymond Gross would be #2 and Greg Hill #3. It would be get blueballs' take on this question.

Tracy Ham is in the College Football Hall of Fame so he is #1. Folks just don't realize how good he was, especially in 1985 when he led a group of walkons to the title. The 1986 team (his SR year) was a tour de force, who can forget the Ark St Coach Larry Lacewell quote after the NC game when Ham threw for 300+ and ran for 180+? "You can't tackle smoke".

... after him it is kind of a matter of personal choice.

IMO Gross is the most underrated player in the history of the division (12 playoff wins, 15-0-0 in 1989, 3 title game appearances, 2 titles) and was a maestro at the option. Dude was a leader and a winner...

Hill was just plain nasty and a threat to take it to the house at anytime... probably the best pure runner of all the option QB's. Mark Whipple was quoted as saying Hill was the best player in the division during his tenure.

Revere was underrated because he played behind Hill for two years and had in season knee surgery (folks forget that)yet played and led his team to the semis his SR year. He was a great leader, a better runner than given credit for and a winner. IMO if he doesn't have knee surgery and was healthy his SR year GSU would have went undefeated and won the NC.

Chaz Williams is underrated too... his 2002 season (1422 rushing 27 TDs, 971 passing 9 TDs) is one of the best individual efforts from an option QB in the history of college football.

It was too bad Jayson Foster didn't get the chance to QB his Jr and SR years in the system... who knows what would have happened?

Eaglesrus
December 10th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I am sorry for your plight at Hofstra. I remember our Elon squad traveling up to Long Island in 2001 with the Towers still smoldering to play ya'll. I am also sorry you did not take a closer look at our present program to embrace.
1 a school that has a winning tradition and is on an upswing.
2 great coach originally from Staten Island
3 exciting offense and defense.
4 will always be an under-dog.
5 developing a super atmosphere for football
6 no gnats, don't live in the past, don't fire coaches after 9-win seasons

take a year off and observe where you really want to send your loyalties. xthumbsupx

You were certainly on a roll there, but then you got to #5 and lost all credibility (just kidding, haven't made it to Elon yet so I have no idea what the atmosphere is like). As far as the firing of coaches after nine win seasons goes; let's see we have had 15 opportunities to do that in the last 25 years and yes, we did it once. On the other hand Elon's had what, 2 opportunities in those last 25 years? Who knows, maybe when you (meaning Elon) has as many such seasons under your belt you will be a little more demanding.

mmiller_34
December 10th, 2009, 06:08 PM
GSU definitely has the athletes to come back. Im just glad SDSU got them while they were down.

whoanellie
December 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM
You were certainly on a roll there, but then you got to #5 and lost all credibility (just kidding, haven't made it to Elon yet so I have no idea what the atmosphere is like). As far as the firing of coaches after nine win seasons goes; let's see we have had 15 opportunities to do that in the last 25 years and yes, we did it once. On the other hand Elon's had what, 2 opportunities in those last 25 years? Who knows, maybe when you (meaning Elon) has as many such seasons under your belt you will be a little more demanding.

the pursuit for excellence and engaging in competition with Georgia Southeren is always an honor and a privledge.

PhoenixPhan
December 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Socon could get interesting in the next few years. Without Armanti, App might be coming down from their height. Elon's growing, and could have a great next season if we can recover from losing from Hudgins this year. I think GSU is on its way back up, and Chatty's new coach is definitely making up ground fast. Wofford has been up and down, so not really sure what could be coming from them, and Furman is kind of the same way. If App loses powerhouse status, it will be interesting to see who steps up as major challengers.

mrklean
December 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM
GSU will be back. GATA!!!!!!!!!!!!

DX Man
December 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM

I don't know especially with the same old AD in place, but it sure would be nice to have a familiar foe back at the top with us.

Dukes_Bando
December 11th, 2009, 03:22 AM
If Wofford can recruit players to run their multi-option being as small as they are and with less history, I'd say you can get the players in a few years. The support of the administration, the coaches, (and by extension recruiting) that's something else entirely.

I'd love to see GSU, and Furman back to the top of the SoCon competing with Appy for the top spot.

I still have great respect for Furman from when we played them in Quarters in 2004. To this day I believe they were the best team we played that year in the playoffs. It and Appy 2008 were the two most heart wrenching games I've ever been to.