PDA

View Full Version : UNH - VILLANOVA official game thread

Pages : 1 [2]

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I have concerns on offense, especially at RB and WR. Is Jellison our starting next year? Does Kenny Howard come back from academic suspension? Do we pick up a transfer from Northeastern or Hofstra?

I thought I had heard that Kenny Howard wasn't coming back, but I hope I'm wrong. Of course, only if he can remain academically eligible.

RB is a concern, only Jellison, Peters and Sweeney will have experience next year, correct? Well, Fox at the slot receiver/RB position too. Don't know if any of the freshmen besides Setian are expected to contribute next year. xconfusedx

I'm not as concerned at WR with Mason, Fox, Mangieri, Chandler, Greene, and Orlando returning along with Asam coming off redshirt. TE with Jeannot and Cullen returning also isn't as concerning as RB IMHO.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Wren,

I probably need to go back an re-read your posts, but I think the offensive system deployed by UNH was chosen with UNH's recruiting challenges squarely in the cross hairs. We don't have a HS pool of players in NH like other rural states to provide "big hogs" each year. We're probably never going to be able to recruit linemen to play power football with the other CAA teams. I supposed we could have chosen a triple option type offense, but we went with a spread instead.

Part of this year's problems were related to a young, inexperienced OL. And because of that youth, they were a little undersized. Not sure how smaller linemen would have helped on Saturday at Nova? Don't forget that we had two projected starters on the OL, one with actual game experience, leave the team during the Summer.

Also, don't forget how much recruiting emphasis has been on the defensive side of the line. We've finally build some depth, size and skill to go head to head with good CAA and FCS teams. Personally, I don't think UNH gets beyond the quarters without that. To me, it is less daunting to build the offensive line that UNH needs than it is to build and maintain the defensive line needed to become an elite program.

Unfortunately, there are then going to be days like Saturday where our offensive system can't provide its "competitive advantage". I feel like a lot of people are panicking over one game played in adverse conditions. I've always felt it was going to take a lot of things falling in place for UNH to ever win a national championship. And yes after the win at McNeese, a few of them came together, but they were completely negated by the weather on Saturday.

JMHO, but scrapping the system is overreaction at this point. And it sure is refreshing knowing that on the defensive side, we've got Vines, Smith, Colbert, Jenkins, Buzbee, Evans, Jamerson, Houston, etc. waiting in the wings!! The OL will have a year of experience, an off season to gain strength and size, have Archer, O'Neill, Ryan, Schmalhofer, etc. take off the redshirt. Let's have some faith.

jlcharles
December 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I would assume Toman was hurt on the play where he dove forward for more yards. It looked like he took a knee to the ear. Is he ok?

UNH72Plus
December 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM
First day back on AGS after my trip to Philly. Congrats to Nova, you really took us to the woodshed.

Kudos to Wren, Fanboi, YorkCounty, "05" and every other UNH backer who made the trek to the Main Line and endured those conditions. Probably only the 2004 monsoon game with W&M and the other monsoon games with Northeastern and Hofstra were played in as bad a condition as this game. Anybody recall that game with Hofstra where even David Ball wasn't a factor? Thank gawd for gore-tex and waterproof hiking boots!!!!! xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx

If memory serves, that Hofstra game was Parent's Weekend and the rain was coming down almost horizontally, and at that time I think we still had the natural turf. That game probably kept Ball from breaking at least one more of Jerry Rice's records. If anybody's interested in Ball, check out the comments his fans have posted on his page of the Hamilton Tigercats' website.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I would assume Toman was hurt on the play where he dove forward for more yards. It looked like he took a knee to the ear. Is he ok?

That may have been the hit that concussed him, but he had also been hit hard a number of times before that. I think it was a number of hits.