PDA

View Full Version : App St @ Richmond (The Trilogy)

Pages : 1 [2]

appirishmen
December 1st, 2009, 04:18 PM
My dads friend talked to Steve Brown and Brownie told him that AE's injury is actually pretty serious. They said normally guys miss up to 6 weeks with this type of injury so he definitely wont be 100% the rest of his ASU career. He said he probably shouldn't be playing for his own sake, but he just doesn't want to let the team down. If he can't run and lower the shoulder when he does so, I see know way that we beat Richmond on the road.

yea dont joke. he looked good when he ran last week. he did lose a step. i hope he will be fine or UR will beat us handily again.

DLS
December 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
this is why i have to spit every time i even speak the name "elon"

effing d#ckriders!

ASU_Fanatic
December 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
yea dont joke. he looked good when he ran last week. he did lose a step. i hope he will be fine or UR will beat us handily again.
I'm not joking.

boonegoon
December 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Bummer.

appirishmen
December 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm not joking.

i hope your wrong. if not, it will be a looooong night! i didnt think it was as bad as last year. i havent seen him limping at all. o well. we will find out saturday! all i know is that he will give it his all! i really dont know what to believe. ive heard many different things about him from many different people.

ASU_Fanatic
December 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
And they said that it is just an injury that can get worse..not lying at all.

bostonspider
December 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM
I wonder if Vegas has heard these rumors. I was pretty shocked that the line opened with the Spiders favored by 7...

Appattk
December 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
At this point in time the Richmond gameplan will probably be the same regardless of how Armanti's knee is fairing...

They'll do exactly like SCSU and rush the snot out of him and hoping that he "makes a mistake" with his arm.

The only difference is if he's mobile, they'll do more contain, but the end result will be the same... Pressure the QB and cause turnovers....

seattlespider
December 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
I wonder if Vegas has heard these rumors. I was pretty shocked that the line opened with the Spiders favored by 7...

Good point. In any case, I'm sure London and Co. are operating under the assumption that AE is 100% and ready to go.

bigappfan10
December 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
Just to recap...last year we were hitting our stride when Elon late hit AE. He sat out the WCU game, limped through a victory against SCSU and then Richmond figured out at halftime that he couldn't use his speed against them like the year before and put a 2nd half whoopin on App...I mean talk about deja vu?

If AE played for another team against App and he was coming to Kidd Brewer this weekend, I'd want him a full speed just to a) watch a great player at his best and b) see if we could figure out how to stop him....but that's just me.

paward
December 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM
I never want to see an injured player play and take it for our advantage. If he is hurt, you have my empathy. If healthy you have my profound respect. He is a player that can change the game on the dime. However, we are not buying into any chat that may or may not be true. Additionally if AE can not go I am sure the replacement is capable of doing his own damage. The game plan will be the same, pressure, pressure and more pressure.

No matter the outcome of the game, it will be a good one. This stuff is what makes FSC fooball playoffs the very best. To be on the loosing end of that 2007 game was awful. To see what AE did in that game was a once in a lifetime show and priceless. As for me I saw that movie once and do not want to see it again, ever. Here is hoping that everyone stay healthy for this one!

ASU_Fanatic
December 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM
I never want to see an injured player play for out advantage. If he is hurt, you have my empathy. If you he healthy you have my profound respect. He is a player that can change the game on the dime. However, we are not buying into any chat that may or may not be true. Additionally if AE can not go I am sure the replacement is capable of doing his own damage. The game plan will be the same, pressure, pressure and more pressure.

No matter the outcome of the game, it will be a good one. This stuff is what makes FSC fooball playoffs the very best. To be on the loosing end of that 2007 game was awful. To see what AE did in that game was a once in a lifetime show. As for me I saw the movie and do not want to see it again, ever. Here is hoping that everyone stay healthy in and for this one!
Don't worry, AE is gonna play...I would much rather have a 60% AE than a 100% Cadet.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
http://www.appfan.com/blog/?p=2937

http://www.appfan.com/blog/?p=4485

You'll see. xsmiley_wix

Sweet! Heard our team will be listening to a lot of Metallica and AC DC in their iPods to get pumped up. I bet they'll be really PUMPED too! xlolx

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
My dads friend talked to Steve Brown and Brownie told him that AE's injury is actually pretty serious. They said normally guys miss up to 6 weeks with this type of injury so he definitely wont be 100% the rest of his ASU career. He said he probably shouldn't be playing for his own sake, but he just doesn't want to let the team down. If he can't run and lower the shoulder when he does so, I see know way that we beat Richmond on the road.

really? I know someone who is very close to the program and he said Armanti will be better.xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx

PhoenixPhan
December 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=DLS;1483616]this is why i have to spit every time i even speak the name "elon"
QUOTE]

Oh come on. If if hadn't gotten injured playing elon he would have done it to himself when he went to mow his yard.

Bunch of whining babies--this is football. Elon watched 2 players get carted off the field last weekend, one in an ambulance, and you don't see us blaming UR. You do what you can to tackle a strong player. Maybe last year's hit was questionable, but it wasn't called, so suck it up and deal with it. In case you missed it, it's the 2009 season now. Move on.

Skjellyfetti
December 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM

So you talked to your dad who talked to his friend who talked to Steve Brown and he said...

xwhistlex

It's not worth speculating about these things. And, I really doubt if it was a serious injury that requires him to sit out 6 weeks... I do not think JM or the coaching staff would let him play AT ALL last week or this week... much less the second half of the Elon game.

appirishmen
December 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
for what its worth, moore just said on mountaineer talk that AE had his best practice in a few weeks today and that he came off the field last week saying let me run. he said that he shout be ok for this weekend. is this just smoke? only time will tell. i hope he is right!

ASU_Fanatic
December 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM
really? I know someone who is very close to the program and he said Armanti will be better.xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxI sure hope that you're right.

GreatAppSt
December 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM
Richy is toast!xnodx

ASU_Fanatic
December 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Richy is toast!xnodx
Yeah, buddy!

Rollin' like a big shot xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

pbr1893
December 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=DLS;1483616]this is why i have to spit every time i even speak the name "elon"
QUOTE]

Oh come on. If if hadn't gotten injured playing elon he would have done it to himself when he went to mow his yard.

Bunch of whining babies--this is football. Elon watched 2 players get carted off the field last weekend, one in an ambulance, and you don't see us blaming UR. You do what you can to tackle a strong player. Maybe last year's hit was questionable, but it wasn't called, so suck it up and deal with it. In case you missed it, it's the 2009 season now. Move on.

xnonox Is your real name Richard Head? Thought so! Enjoy that So Con championship....oh wait...that's right...you guys choked more than Linda Lovelace!

back2back
December 1st, 2009, 11:00 PM
Weather forecast for Saturday? Will the Apps be bringing snow with them to Richmond?

ThompsonThe
December 2nd, 2009, 03:41 AM
I believe that Moore is talking up "AE is doing much better" a lot like last year.
Fact is that he was not good to go for the S.C. State game, and I doubt he will be for UR.
They should play Presley if they have so little faith in Cadet. Put Cadet in for a few plays to
see what he can do. At least Presley can pass or run.

Saint3333
December 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Multiple articles and radio stories on Tuesday's practice report said AE was running well, who knows what is the truth.

AppIAA
December 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
I have a friend who has a friend that talked to a guy who has a friend whose uncle was at practice and he said AE was running 100 yards in 9 seconds flat.. He then jumped OVER the crossbar on the goal post...

AE will be fine.. Even if he can't run at full speed, we saw against SCSU he can take off and get 6 - 10 yards and slide for the first. This alone will make the defense stay honest.. Plus, I think we will see a few wrinkles in our offense with Cadet and Radford... a few more screens to Radford and reverse hand offs to Cadet..

It is going to be a good game regardless if AE can run or not. Our coaches will draw up a proper game plan for Richmond (after all, this is the 3rd year in a row we've played then, and Elon played them close -- coaches share game plans in the playoffs..) and our defense is much better than last year. Plus, we have a semi-healthy stable of RBs and do not have to move a WR to give the "starting RB" some rest (ala Cline last year)

AppyinVA
December 2nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
In looking at the year end awards, why aren't any of the Spiders considered for the Payton award? It does not make sense.

Waco Kid
December 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
yeah it's been tough going on the road, winning all those titles. those long road trips must have worn you out. you and montana have both had it pretty rough when it comes to getting home games.

we had to do it the hard way, 3 straight road games and a neutral site on the way to a title.

and by the way, i think it's so lame when people point out that there is a smack board. first, who cares? second, does anyone actually USE the smack board? seems like people just like to point out that it exists. so? third... ok, i can't think of a third thing. but it'd be cool if i had 3 points, for symmetry purposes. ooh, i thought of a third point: why do people get sensitive about "smack"... is it really hurting your feelings? instead of directing someone to "speak" in a different forum, how about not being such a weenie and just either a.) respond to it, or b.) ignore it......?

Quit you'r crying... geez you act like nobody has ever played a road game in the playoffs except JMU. We have been fortunate the past few years (of course our fans leading the FCS in attendance paid off come post season), but we have paid our dues just like everyone else. The Apps have made trips to Boise, UNH, Troy, WKU, Montana, and MTSU in the past. Maybe when you guys build the new stadium you can get large enough crowds to justify home playoff games.

AppIAA
December 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Maybe when you guys build the new stadium you can get large enough crowds to justify home playoff games.

Or play a better regular season and get a seed... that usually helps..

If I were JMU, I wouldn't want a seed. The only championship they have, they weren't a seed. In 2008, they were a seed and had a home semi-final game.. we all know how well that went..

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
In looking at the year end awards, why aren't any of the Spiders considered for the Payton award? It does not make sense.

They don't have a flashy offense. Noone has that great of numbers.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
They don't have a flashy offense. Noone has that great of numbers.

C'mon, Coulson ... give your real reasons ... xlolxxlolxxlolx

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
C'mon, Coulson ... give your real reasons ... xlolxxlolxxlolx

Do you think anyone on your team is deserving of the Payton (not being considered to being a finalist... but winning it)?

And y'all got your panties in a wad because I said your offense was mediocre last week. Y'all didn't do too much to change my view against Elon. xcoffeex

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Do you think anyone on your team is deserving of the Payton (not being considered to being a finalist... but winning it)?

And y'all got your panties in a wad because I said your offense was mediocre last week. Y'all didn't do too much to change my view against Elon. xcoffeex

I actually agree with you. I just like calling you Coulson now.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
GREAT NEWS (if true)!!!

Armanti Edwards, limited since spraining a medial-collateral ligament in his right knee against Elon on Nov. 14, says his knee is a lot better now.

“Definitely,” Edwards said Wednesday morning. “We get to run any play in our offense this week. I ran the ball yesterday in practice and cut on it with no problem.”

Edwards said that he could have run the ball more last week in a first-round victory over S.C. State if he had needed to, although no plays were called designed for him to run.

“One time there was a big hole and I took off running and it didn’t bother me,” Edwards said. “After that I told the coaches I could run if I needed to.”

Edwards apparently is in much better shape than he was a year ago when the Mountaineers played Richmond in the quarterfinals. He was hampered with knee and hip injuries then, and said he was basically unable to run in that game. Edwards rushed for just three yards in that game and the Mountaineers, also hampered by injuries to running backs, totaled just 39 yards rushing.

“There’s no question Armanti is better than he was this time a week ago,” Moore said.

Edwards said that last year’s loss, and given that he wasn’t at full speed and threw five interceptions, adds personal motivation for this year’s game.

“It’s going to play a lot into it,” Edwards said. “(It’s) a playoff game, we don’t want to go home, and at the same time we get to face the team that put us out of the playoffs last year. There’s a lot of motivation for those two things.”

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/app_trail/entry/edwards-is-ready

AshevilleApp
December 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Watching AE in the SC State game when he did run he looked like himself. The major difference being that he did not intiate contact or try and go for the extra yardage but instead slid. He broke off a few long runs when SC State blitzed and left the center of the field open. The option was completely removed from the game and while its not necessarily Apps "bread-and butter" with a AE-Moore combo its a very good weapon. You could tell there were numerous plays where AE was looking downfield for a receiver, went through his 1st, 2nd and even 3rd and where he would normally take off and get 7-15 yards on a scamper instead flung the ball into coverage (this created 2 interceptions). Sounds like the run option is back for Saturday

State Line Liquors
December 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
GREAT NEWS (if true)!!!

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/app_trail/entry/edwards-is-ready

No need for him to run the football last week?

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
No need for him to run the football last week?

I think a better description is that he physically could have, but was restrained by arbitrary limits set by the Coaches. The one long run I do recall that he made against SCSU, he was pulled out for the next play. Maybe they had to remind him what the deal was.

Since SCSU noticed AE was not running, they played pass-D all game long. We could have used more running, but apparently did not need it to win. Their 3 man front was kind of weird, but they only did that in the first half.

Everything I am hearing from AE's telephone conference & the coaches is that he's OK & they will turn him loose on Saturday. Still not sure what that means. UR's stats say they have one heck of a good run defense. Their passing D appears suspect. I predict passing, followed by running, followed by more of the same.

Eight Legger
December 2nd, 2009, 12:43 PM
If he was completely healthy and able to run last week, I would think the time to start running would have been when the game was tied with 9 minutes to go. What kind of plays were the coaches calling? Seems like pretty stupid play-calling to ignore your top weapon's best attribute. I am calling BS on that one.

appstate38
December 2nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
If he was completely healthy and able to run last week, I would think the time to start running would have been when the game was tied with 9 minutes to go. What kind of plays were the coaches calling? Seems like pretty stupid play-calling to ignore your top weapon's best attribute. I am calling BS on that one.

Well we will find out for sure if it was BS or just playing it safe when Saturday nights rolls around.......

Just as a side note. The last time we played the Spiders at night AE went off. Hoping for more of the same.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM

They did not call one single running play to Armanti the whole game. That is not normal... our offense is built around a running quarterback. An Armanti standing in the pocket would not have been part of the game plan for anything but protecting AE. He scrambled 3 times... one of the times the coaches pulled him out of the game and put Cadet in (probably to hammer home the idea that he wasn't supposed to run). He also didn't run at all in practice last week. He is running in practice this week.

soccerguy315
December 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Well we will find out for sure if it was BS or just playing it safe when Saturday nights rolls around.......

Just as a side note. The last time we played the Spiders at night AE went off. Hoping for more of the same.

what AE does this week will not tell you anything about how healthy or not healthy he was last week.

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM

Yeah, but I think you guys wore black that night, this week you'll be in the white jerseys.

What the heck is that supposed to mean, exactly?

State Line Liquors
December 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
I think a better description is that he physically could have, but was restrained by arbitrary limits set by the Coaches. The one long run I do recall that he made against SCSU, he was pulled out for the next play. Maybe they had to remind him what the deal was.

I like this interpretation better.

ronpayne
December 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
New TV Info:

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204842696

It will be shown on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) and MNT 18.

----
MTN 18 is available in homes throughout the High Country while MASN’s footprint covers a seven-state area from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. For fans outside of the MTN or MASN viewing areas, the broadcast will be carried nationally as part of the ESPN GamePlan pay-per-view package as well as streamed online at ESPN360.com. Check with your cable, satellite and/or internet service providers for availability of ESPN GamePlan and ESPN360.com in your area.

Justin Kutcher (play-by-play) and Doug Chapman (analyst) will call all of the action for the television broadcast.

----

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM

Well, you had to be there. SCSU's D was fabulous, but so was App's. SCSU's offense did not score a TD in the game. They had a hard time moving the ball at all. And, right before that point (9 minutes to go), SCSU's all-conference RB went down with a knee injury. It is not a bad bet to keep doing what you have been doing when the game is tied with 9 minutes to go, when you're playing D like that.

I've kept up with a lot of these threads on AGS & the MMB & the Spiders MB, & it seems to me that UR will be surprised at the improvements in Apps' D from last year. Even if AE is not 100%, UR will still have to move the ball. I would not be surprised to hear after the game (regardless of the outcome) that UR fans agree that App's D is the best FCS D they faced this year. Maybe not, but it is peaking at the right time.

As has been stated, UR has not seen a healthy Armanti in a long time (2 yrs). All I can say is that this ought to be fun!

Good luck to UR & their fans. I truly hope your parking lots open before 4:00, else there will be lots of App fans riding around looking for spots to tailgate long before then.

jedmis10
December 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Neither will play... in fact, most of the defense is hurt too. Richmond should not worry about the Mountaineers at all this week. This will be a cake walk.

Yeah. We are in horrible shape. xwhistlex

AppAlum2003
December 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM

I'd be shocked if the Mountaineers stay within 20 points of the Spidermen. All hail the CAA!

CamelCityAppFan
December 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM

I heard we're in such rough shape that the team isn't even going. We're gonna send the band to play for us instead.

On the minus side: our quarterback will be a red-shirt sophomore sousaphone player.

On the plus side: ample opportunity to work the word "sousaphone" into conversation.

jedmis10
December 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
I heard we're in such rough shape that the team isn't even going. We're gonna send the band to play for us instead.

On the minus side: our quarterback will be a red-shirt sophomore sousaphone player.

On the plus side: ample opportunity to work the word "sousaphone" into conversation.

They say Armanti may play in a wheel chair.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM

I'm hearing a conflicting report: the entire team likes playing the 'flute', not the sousaphone. xlolxxlolxxlolx

bigappfan10
December 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
My girlfriend is a pathology assistant. She said they had to amputate AE's leg and she had to run tests on it this afternoon...but he still may be ready to go on Sat.

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
My girlfriend is a pathology assistant. She said they had to amputate AE's leg and she had to run tests on it this afternoon...but he still may be ready to go on Sat.

Wow! This thread just took a left turn.

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Latest AE update, via the Simpsons Archive (http://snpp.org/):

Homer: Poor guy -- he lost his leg.

Dr. Hibbert: Oh, no, no. The fans will whoop it up with that leg tonight -- you know, drink beer out of it and so on -- but, uh, it'll turn up in the morning, and I'll sew it back on.

Marge: Will that really work?

Dr. Hibbert: Well, I assume so...

ASU_Fanatic
December 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
They say Armanti may play in a wheel chair.I would take that over Cadet.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
I just heard that Al Groh will be coaching ASU on Saturday. It's really a test to see if London is the right fit for UVA.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
I think Al Groh could pull off a Jerry Moore impersonation

http://www.cnnsi.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/09/26/Sept27.mailbag/T1_0926_groh.jpg

http://img.fannation.com/upload/truth_rumor/photo_upload/126/515/full/Jerry-Moore.jpg

boonegoon
December 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
New TV Info:

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204842696

It will be shown on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) and MNT 18.

----
MTN 18 is available in homes throughout the High Country while MASN’s footprint covers a seven-state area from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. For fans outside of the MTN or MASN viewing areas, the broadcast will be carried nationally as part of the ESPN GamePlan pay-per-view package as well as streamed online at ESPN360.com. Check with your cable, satellite and/or internet service providers for availability of ESPN GamePlan and ESPN360.com in your area.

Justin Kutcher (play-by-play) and Doug Chapman (analyst) will call all of the action for the television broadcast.

----

MTN has a live broadcast window on their website. Do you think the game will be there?

MacThor
December 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM

The last two times the Spiders played a SoCon team in the quarterfinals, they advanced.

Nanny nanny boo boo.

CrackerRiley
December 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
The last two times the Spiders played a SoCon team in the quarterfinals, they advanced.

Nanny nanny boo boo.

Well, well, oh yeah! The last time App played they won by 7....

and and.... the last time Richmond played they..... only won by 3 :p

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Well, well, oh yeah! The last time App played they won by 7....

and and.... the last time Richmond played they..... only won by 3 :p

When was the last time JMU played? xlolxxlolxxlolx

JMU Newbill
December 3rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
When was the last time JMU played? xlolxxlolxxlolx

Oh... so it's like that?

Well.... um.... uh..... the last time JMU played AT Richmond, we won. So yea... uh... take that xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
Oh... so it's like that?

Well.... um.... uh..... the last time JMU played AT Richmond, we won. So yea... uh... take that xthumbsupx

xbowxxbowxxbowx I'm brining a JMU friend that plans on wearing JMU gear. Could be a long night for him.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
xbowxxbowxxbowx I'm brining a JMU friend that plans on wearing JMU gear. Could be a long night for him.
ASU fans have something of a playoff tradition - carrying a sign that reads "Hey Furman, how's home?"

Might be a good question for UR fans to ask JMU.

SpiderSafety75
December 3rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
From today's Richmond times-Dispatch:

There may be no better source on the planet to size up Saturday's FCS quarterfinal between the University of Richmond and Appalachian State than Russ Huesman.

Huesman was UR's defensive coordinator from 2004-08, and dealt with the Mountaineers in each of the past two FCS tournaments. Richmond lost at ASU 55-35 in the 2007 FCS semifinals, with Appalachian quarterback Armanti Edwards running for 313 yards and four TDs as a sophomore. Last year, UR won 33-13 in Boone, N.C., on the way to the FCS title. Edwards, bothered by knee and hip injuries, ran eight times for 3 yards.

Huesman, a defensive assistant and coordinator at William and Mary from 1985-97, recently completed his first season as head coach at Chattanooga, his alma mater. The Mocs finished 6-5, including a 35-20 November loss in a Southern Conference game at ASU. Edwards ran for 52 yards on 12 carries, then suffered a knee sprain in a subsequent game.

Here are some of Huesman's thoughts on Saturday's game:

Q: What do you see when you look at the UR-ASU game?

"It's probably going to be the best [FCS quarterfinal] going this week. It's a neat game because this is the third time in a row playing in the playoffs and I think they know each other pretty well. But I've said all along, I think Richmond is good enough to be back in the national championship game. They've got so many, so many good players on Richmond's team.

Q: What can you tell folks about Appalachian State?

"People don't realize this about Appalachian State. They're pretty young. [ASU starts nine freshmen and sophomores.] They've got a young, young football team, which is different than they've been in the past."

Q: Will Armanti Edwards run much, because of injuries or an adjusted ASU game plan?

"Coming into our game, they had talked about that. They're just not running him as much. He's not running the ball as much. Against us, he didn't look like he was in a hurry to get out [of the pocket]. I'm sure they made a conscientious effort that they wanted to take a little bit of that off of him. You could say he's not running the ball as much as he has in the past."

Q: But you still believe Edwards is the key to what the Mountaineers do?

"I know they say he's banged up a little bit, but we were concerned and we did things to keep him from running the football. That was our number-one priority, to try to [contain] him, then try to survive everywhere else. And I think most people take that approach."

Q: Is that the plan you took as Richmond's defensive coordinator last year?

"Yep. You're not real smart if you don't start by saying, one, 'How are we going to [contain Edwards], first with his legs, not letting him get in the open space in one-on-one situations, and then two, throwing the football. Then try to defend everybody else after that. He's that good of a player. He's the best [FCS] player in the country."

Q: So Richmond is your pick?

"I don't know. I thought Elon had a great football team, and Appalachian State [won at Elon 27-10. UR beat visiting Elon 16-13 in last Saturday's first round]. But I said before the season started that Richmond has such good coaching, and such good players, that there was no question they had a chance to get back to [the FCS title game].

"I shouldn't talk this way because I am involved with the Southern Conference, but to see a William and Mary-Richmond game in the championship would be unbelievable. I'm so close to the people at William and Mary, and so close to the people at Richmond, that would be something else."

AppAlum2003
December 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Even Huesman is a CAA homer...

xmadx

UncleSam
December 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Richmond's offense has been struggling the past two weeks. The UR running game was shut down vs W&M and their passing game really struggled vs Elon. The Spiders have been dodging bullets all season, but if that offense doesn't return to form this week, I expect that UR will be watching the Semi's on TV.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Richmond's offense has been struggling the past two weeks. The UR running game was shut down vs W&M and their passing game really struggled vs Elon. The Spiders have been dodging bullets all season, but if that offense doesn't return to form this week, I expect that UR will be watching the Semi's on TV.

Pretty fair assesment. I would say whichever team plays like they played last week will lose. If they both play like they did last week, Montana may get a bye to Chatty.

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
I don't know, you turn one of those two Ward red zone picks into a TD (and I realize one essentially got converted into a FG) and possibly one tipped ball into a pick of Riddle and we are having a different conversation right now. Yes, woulda/coulda if/then but I don't really think the offense struggled quite as much as it is being portrayed, given that Elon's D was ranked #2 overall and having played in the Rough N' Tumble SoCon. Serously, though, it seemed like the offense almost tightened up and got conservative as the game wore on and left it up to the D, but they moved the ball early and had chances to bury Elon in a 14 or so point defecit.

HiHiYikas
December 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
How's your family, Bett? Anything new to report?

SpiderSafety75
I agree that UR has to play better on O to win Saturday. We do tend to forget too easily that they left at least 6 on the field with the 2 interceptions...but those are points left, not scored.

Turnovers are going to be the biggest of all factors - when teams are this close, that's probably going to be the straw to break someone's back.

jmufan999
neither team looks as good as they did last year in my opinion. richmond has fallen off slightly more, but they also had further to fall. should be pretty even. go spiders!

SpiderSafety75
December 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I owe you a coke, bettina :)

ASU_Fanatic
December 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Were gonna win.

GreatAppSt
December 3rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Richmond's toast.

SpiderSafety75
December 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I remember visiting Boone back in the days when both UR and ASU were Div 1 and in the Southern together. It's fitting that these two meet in what is likely to be the last UR game at old City Stadium. May the best club win- with the weather,looks like i'll have to watch from home - I have a singing gig the next day and another on Tuesday, and this weather isn't looking good for someone trying to protect their pipes.

Go Spiders!

phillyAPP
December 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
I remember visiting Boone back in the days when both UR and ASU were Div 1 and in the Southern together. It's fitting that these two meet in what is likely to be the last UR game at old City Stadium. May the best club win- with the weather,looks like i'll have to watch from home - I have a singing gig the next day and another on Tuesday, and this weather isn't looking good for someone trying to protect their pipes.

Go Spiders!

Good luck with your Pipes and Mine also. Usually after a playoff game I am scratchy until wednesday.

Go APP !!

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
How's your family, Bett? Anything new to report?

Only thing new to report is that the odds of my being in the hospital for this game has gone up in the last 12 hours, the "first stage" has started, her plug fell out, so things could progress at any time but I am hoping we can hold out till next week. Either way, it will go no later than Wednesday morning, a C-S has been scheduled.

Thanks, though.

HappyAppy13
December 3rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
So the Weather Channel has been going back and forth on their forecasts for Saturday the past few days. i know its hard for anyone to tell what exactly the weather will be like, but is it likely to actually snow in Richmond?

Bettina90
December 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
It can snow in Richmond, we got back to back storms my sophomore year (or was it freshman?) that dumped almost 20 inches in 5 days or so. I think the local high schools were out of business for almost two weeks, yet we had classes cancelled for all of one day.

HappyAppy13
December 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
It can snow in Richmond, we got back to back storms my sophomore year (or was it freshman?) that dumped almost 20 inches in 5 days or so. I think the local high schools were out of business for almost two weeks, yet we had classes cancelled for all of one day.

wow, pretty good stuff!!
im really hopin for some snow! i think snow adds to a great atmosphere.

we shall see though.

i'd hate to see a cold rain at 33 degrees!! xnonox

DTSpider
December 3rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
So the Weather Channel has been going back and forth on their forecasts for Saturday the past few days. i know its hard for anyone to tell what exactly the weather will be like, but is it likely to actually snow in Richmond?

It all depends...

The local joke is that Ukrops pays off the weather folks to announce snow whenever they need a spike in sales. Once all the bread & milk is sold...the forecast is adjusted to reality.

Snow in Richmond is rare. Usually we just get ice and get a good snow (i.e. more than 6 inches) about every 5 years. Since we got a good last March, probably wouldn't worry about any snow this year.

I'm guessing it'll just be rain and maybe 30 minutes of a really wet snow that just melts when it hits the ground. I just don't want to be standing outside in 35 degree rain - that's the worst.

SpiderSafety75
December 4th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Now that Weather.com has gone to the hourly forecast for Saturday, it looks really really bad...there is a 'lull' from 3 PM till 7 where the rain chance is 'only' 40%...then by game time it's back up to 80% chance of rain/sleet where it stays through 9 PM. I'm definately going to have to watch this on TV - I own my own business and can't get sick right now, in addition to my singing gigs over the next few days.

It's a bummer for the young men from both Universities, IMO. They deserve better - and the game itself may now turn on someone slipping and falling, which is a real shame.

hopefully the best team will win, and not just the luckiest one. Good luck to UR and ASU - along with Nova and W&M, I think these are the deserving Final Four, with Montana looking in from the outside. Unfortunately it won't end up that way.

BTW, doesn't look cold enough for 'real snow'...looks more like sleet/rain/slop.

ur2k
December 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM
In Richmond, we usually fall on the rain side of the snow/rain line that they show on the weather during the news. I would expect that to be the case on Saturday.

HappyAppy13
December 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
ok, thanks guys.
i figured you Richmond folk would know more than the Weather Man anyways!!

cant ever trust them!

but yea, hopefully its not too bad and nobody gets hurt because of it.
if its not going to snow i hope that all precipitation just stays in the sky

Saint3333
December 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Looks like the Spiders are staying at home, MASN is hurting the UR attendance. Rock the Big House... Again.

AppAlum96
December 4th, 2009, 11:10 AM

I think it's changed, but ASU had a reputation for never cancelling classes for any reason due to weather. If I remember correcty, the first time classes were cancelled was back in '93 when the "blizzard of the century" dumped 3+ feet of snow on Boone during spring break. The only reason they cancelled classes was because the highways were closed and nobody could get back to Boone from spring break. There was another almost 3 foot snowfall in '96 which didn't result in class cancellations.

Eight Legger
December 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM
It could be 25 below and hailing for 7 hours and I would be at this game. I hope Spider fans do not use one excuse after another to find reasons not to come. I don't think many will. The fans in Richmond who bag this game are not true Spider fans, but more likely casual fans.

CrackerRiley
December 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM
In my 5 years in Boone, there has only been one day where classes were canceled all day. There have been a couple "before 11am classes canceled" though.

I'm hoping that it won't be too wet on Saturday. If there is any precipitation, I hope that it is light.

biggie
December 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I think it's changed, but ASU had a reputation for never cancelling classes for any reason due to weather. If I remember correcty, the first time classes were cancelled was back in '93 when the "blizzard of the century" dumped 3+ feet of snow on Boone during spring break. The only reason they cancelled classes was because the highways were closed and nobody could get back to Boone from spring break. There was another almost 3 foot snowfall in '96 which didn't result in class cancellations.
Old chancellor never cancelled classes. He was forced to in Jan '00 when we got 24+ inches in 4-5 hours and the state forced a curfew and made him close the school. They were cancelled for one day, I didn't get out of my parking lot for a week (failed a class because of it).

These days they will delay/cancel at 2-3 inches. Softies.

Mountaineer#96
December 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM
The only blizzard that will hit Richmond this Saturday is one of points and yards by the ASU offense as they pick apart the Richmond defense for 4 quarters with an healthy and out for blood Armanti Edwards.

LeadBolt
December 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
The only blizzard that will hit Richmond this Saturday is one of points and yards by the ASU offense as they pick apart the Richmond defense for 4 quarters with an healthy and out for blood Armanti Edwards.

ASU may very well win, but if ASU picks the Stonewall apart for 4 qtrs., in a blizzard of points and yards, it will be freezing far south of Richmond!

HiHiYikas
December 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Old chancellor never cancelled classes. He was forced to in Jan '00 when we got 24+ inches in 4-5 hours and the state forced a curfew and made him close the school. They were cancelled for one day, I didn't get out of my parking lot for a week (failed a class because of it).

These days they will delay/cancel at 2-3 inches. Softies.
I was commuting from down around Lenoir in those days. Headed up to class one morning, did a 180 on highway 321. Almost slid off the side of the mountain. Went straight back home and didn't go to any of my classes for a week.

The blizzard of 98 caused classes to be canceled. One day, I think, officially, but lots of people couldn't get out to go to class. My art professor lived up on Beech Mountain, and we didn't see him for a good 2 weeks.

AppAlum2003
December 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
How is the rain affecting the Spiders' practice time this week? I know that ASU had a pretty big advantage going into the Elon game because of rain. I watched news reports on both teams on Thursday before the game - ASU was practicing inside the indoor football practice facility and Elon was in a basketball gym.

ur2k
December 4th, 2009, 01:06 PM
How is the rain affecting the Spiders' practice time this week? I know that ASU had a pretty big advantage going into the Elon game because of rain. I watched news reports on both teams on Thursday before the game - ASU was practicing inside the indoor football practice facility and Elon was in a basketball gym.

Spiders were practicing at about 6:30 last night at UR stadium when I passed by. I don't think the rain has had any effect.

appstate1998
December 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I was commuting from down around Lenoir in those days. Headed up to class one morning, did a 180 on highway 321. Almost slid off the side of the mountain. Went straight back home and didn't go to any of my classes for a week.

The blizzard of 98 caused classes to be canceled. One day, I think, officially, but lots of people couldn't get out to go to class. My art professor lived up on Beech Mountain, and we didn't see him for a good 2 weeks.

I was there in 1998 and I think the funniest part was seeing all the cars at state farm parking lot that had slid into each other parked. Well not funny for them...but still funny to see.

biggie
December 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM
The '98 one is actually the one I was thinking of I think. I'm getting to old and forgetting too much.

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Don't know about '93, because I was not there. I do recall the blizzard of '83 being considered the worst one of the century & the claim that that was the first time App had canceled classes. I was in grad school at App at that time and the snow was measured with yardsticks, the temp was 32 below, & the winds were 50 mph plus.

ronpayne
December 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Don't know about '93, because I was not there. I do recall the blizzard of '83 being considered the worst one of the century & the claim that that was the first time App had canceled classes. I was in grad school at App at that time and the snow was measured with yardsticks, the temp was 32 below, & the winds were 50 mph plus.

I remember '93 - I lived in Taylorsville (just off of the mountain) and we didn't have class for 2 weeks (I was in middle school @ the time). It was fantastic! Not sure how much or bad it was in Boone.

AppAlum96
December 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM

I remember reading about that. Didn't the national guard have to airlift in supplies?

Aho_Old_Guy
December 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM

In 1977, ASU delayed the second semester for 7 or 8 days.

It started snowing the week of Christmas and didn't stop until the end of January. Snow totals for the month were pushing 5 feet!

The highest temperature recorded was 6 - LOL - (might be a slight embellishment). Watauga County Schools were closed for over 5 weeks that Winter. The Sun was not seen the entire month.

The first week the students returned the cafeteria ran out of trays - the students stole all of them and used then for sleds. There were maybe 50 spaces in the stadium parking lot - xlolx - because of the huge 'building-sized' piles (mountains!) of snow. It did not completely melt until May.

A guy down the ridge from me had an anemometer on his roof. Before it blew off he recorded a wind speed of 77 mph xeekx.

I was too young in 1959-60 to remember much, but January of 1977 was the **** xnodx

I remember '93 - I lived in Taylorsville (just off of the mountain) and we didn't have class for 2 weeks (I was in middle school @ the time). It was fantastic! Not sure how much or bad it was in Boone.

I think that March snow is considered the greatest one-day accumulation of snow.

But it snowed for 3 straight days really hard xlolx

B&G
December 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I was there in 1834 and they measured the snow in nautical miles and they cancelled most morning classes except for Dr. Matovu's Public Relations courses. I have a time machine. I also went to the future. Good news, App wins this game. Armanti throws a touchdown to himself. Well it was ball batted back to him but he caught his own pass and then juked a guy out of his jockstrap. Literally. There was a jockstrap on the field. The MEAC refs did the game and called Illegal Motion on the defense because of the jockstrap and all.

But that one had nothing on the blizzard of 1826... but then again I'm sure y'all know how THAT one went down. LOL

Signed,
Bill Brassky

(God, I'm bored. Can this game hurry up and get here?)

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I remember reading about that. Didn't the national guard have to airlift in supplies?

Not that I know.

I heard the airlifting took place in the '60s.

GreatAppSt
December 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
UR is toast!xnodx

DLS
December 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM
who is this clown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k297t8i6bqw

Saint3333
December 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM
who is this clown?

Looks like BigHouseclosed in needs to pay his heating billxsmiley_wix.

AllForAppState
December 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
who is this clown?

He's got the 'dress warmly' part down pat...xcoffeex

yosef1969
December 4th, 2009, 08:55 PM
who is this clown?

How many hats is that guy wearing? Taking them off an awful lot.

Bettina90
December 4th, 2009, 08:59 PM
That's me.

theasushow
December 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=Bettina90;1486320]That's me.[/QU
and that is exactly how i have always pictured you.

theasushow
December 4th, 2009, 09:21 PM
That's me.

AppMan
December 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM
In 1977, ASU delayed the second semester for 7 or 8 days.

It started snowing the week of Christmas and didn't stop until the end of January. Snow totals for the month were pushing 5 feet!

The highest temperature recorded was 6 - LOL - (might be a slight embellishment). Watauga County Schools were closed for over 5 weeks that Winter. The Sun was not seen the entire month.

The first week the students returned the cafeteria ran out of trays - the students stole all of them and used then for sleds. There were maybe 50 spaces in the stadium parking lot - xlolx - because of the huge 'building-sized' piles (mountains!) of snow. It did not completely melt until May.

A guy down the ridge from me had an anemometer on his roof. Before it blew off he recorded a wind speed of 77 mph xeekx.

I was too young in 1959-60 to remember much, but January of 1977 was the **** xnodx

I think that March snow is considered the greatest one-day accumulation of snow.

But it snowed for 3 straight days really hard xlolx

I was a senior in 1977 and remember that winter well. Don't think we saw the ground until April.

ASU_Fanatic
December 4th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Man, we better win.

Bettina90
December 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Shave 30 years, lose the Trailer-looking abode (no offense to Watauga County Residents) and add the ability to have a baby due within 48 hours and it's me to a T.

Aho_Old_Guy
December 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM
who is this clown?

I think he is Jamaican and rich, mon ....

SpiderSafety75
December 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM
That comment about 'any real fan would show up' bothers me a bit. Some of us are grown-ups who own businesses, and have other responsibilities that preclude us sitting in a 37 degree rain for 3 hours inviting the flu with our 50-plus-year-old immune systems. :)

I want nothing more than to be there, especially since where I am for the rest of the weekend (Danville, VA) doesn't even have MASN - but I just can't take the risk. I'll be there in spirit, though - and watching the game when I get home on Monday, it appears. Sigh.

GreatAppSt
December 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
That comment about 'any real fan would show up' bothers me a bit. Some of us are grown-ups who own businesses, and have other responsibilities that preclude us sitting in a 37 degree rain for 3 hours inviting the flu with our 50-plus-year-old immune systems. :)

The comment that any real college grad would think that that sitting in 37 dgree weather is a way to cotract the flu virus bothers me a lot.
xeyebrowx

MacThor
December 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
The comment that any real college grad would think that that sitting in 37 dgree weather is a way to cotract the flu virus bothers me a lot.
xeyebrowx

You are too easily bothered.

You don't really want to go down the academic quality road, do you?

SC-T-Dogg
December 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Get a shot and go to the game..........

ViennaSpider
December 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM
xeyebrowx

Great that you're making it up to the game all the way from Tyler, TX. You are making up to the game? Right?

GreatAppSt
December 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Great that you're making it up to the game all the way from Tyler, TX. You are making up to the game? Right? I'm waiting until we beat you to drive to UM.xsmiley_wix

Are you making it from DC?xrolleyesx

BTW check yer comprehension, I didn't question homespideys valid reasons for not going to a game. Just his understanding of how diseases spread. Check my user CP you should understand my concern for spidersafety75.

MacThor
December 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Nit Picked.

Do you really want to take this in an academic-smack direction?

GreatAppSt
December 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Nit Picked.

Academics? I'm talking universal precautions my friend. I like to see people stay healthy. Come on Mac you are better than that.

boonegoon
December 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Nit Picked.

Are you for real? We did this last year. Your school is no better than App academically. Let't talk about the game.

Bettina90
December 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Are you for real? We did this last year. Your school is no better than App academically. Let't talk about the game.

There is some beauty in that declaration. Kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I don't think that's quite the right term.

boonegoon
December 5th, 2009, 01:53 PM
University of Richmond Appalachian State University Boone , NC
Univ. of Richmond , VA

Year founded: 1830 1899
Religious affiliation: N/A N/A
Total number of undergraduates: 2,794 13,997
Setting suburban rural
Costs: 2008-2009 Tuition and Fees: $38,850 2008-2009 In-state: $4,508; Out-of-state: $14,567
Room and board: $8,200 $6,160
Selectivity: more selective selective
Website http://www.richmond.edu http://www.appstate.edu
Overall score: 74 75
Tier 1 1
U.S. News rank: 33 9
City: Univ. of Richmond Boone
School name: University of Richmond Appalachian State University
State VA NC

Bettina90
December 5th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I am not going to get into this, let's just leave it at "More Selective" and "Selective".

Looking forward to the game, if Apps D is on par with what we've seen in the CAA and AE is healthy I can see this being Ward's last game. If not, I can see it being AE's last game.

boonegoon
December 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=Bettina90;1486912]I am not going to get into this, let's just leave it at "More Selective" and "Selective".

You brought it up. xpeacex good game to all

Bettina90
December 5th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Actually, I did not...I responded.

Let the game not be decided by injuries or long snaps.

ViennaSpider
December 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'm waiting until we beat you to drive to UM.xsmiley_wix

My hat's off to you for your willingness to drive all the way to Missoula. That's tean loyalty. Of course, there is the small matter of having to beat the Spiders first. Should be a war. Got to go now. I'll waive to you.

DTSpider
December 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Maybe not the flu - but this is perfect pneumonia weather. I'm certainly planning on being there, but I understand that standing in the wet & cold for 5 hours isn't for everyone.

Last game at UR Stadium. I'm not sure any weather conditions would keep me away (assuming that I can safely get to the stadium).

mtbigdog
December 5th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Good luck Appy and Richmond we're looking forward toseeing you next week in missoula

theasushow
December 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
fyi....channelsurfing.net is going to carry the game..so anybody will be able to watch. right now i am watching nova and unh, crsytal clear. (minus the blizzard)

WVAPPmountaineer
December 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
So much talk about conference. On one hand, you want to bash the CAA guys for conference allegiance. And out of the other side of your mouth you want to bash Elon fans for not pulling for their conference. So, which is it?

But, hey, justify however you will. I would invite you to take a look at your own message board and the number of App people who were pulling against Elon this weekend, and the number of App people talking smack because we lost. Why in God's name would any EVER pull for App with the way your fan base acts? You'd think winning like you guys do, you would act a bit better, not like a group of Carolina fans.

Go Spiders!

AREN'T YOU TIRED OF BEING WRONG ALL THE TIME????

Mountaineer#96
December 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM
AREN'T YOU TIRED OF BEING WRONG ALL THE TIME????

I'm hoping for another two picks against ASU from him ..........would be a perfect Christmas present xnodxxnodxxthumbsupx

ViennaSpider
December 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Glad to be back home in one piece. The better team won last night. Congrats to ASU. Now, it's on to basketball!

WVAPPmountaineer
December 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Glad to be back home in one piece. The better team won last night. Congrats to ASU. Now, it's on to basketball!

Not trying to ask a smart-a question - just asking - Does Richmond consider itself a football school or a basketball school? - You know the answer for APP ----

Appattk
December 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2515/4168789865_034f215ca3_b.jpg

God Rest the UR Stadium's Soul!

SFspidur
December 8th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Not trying to ask a smart-a question - just asking - Does Richmond consider itself a football school or a basketball school? - You know the answer for APP ----

It's certainly been a basketball school for the last several decades, but the Clawson years, and particularly London's short time, have shifted that balance to where football has been the primary sport of interest. Doesn't hurt that basketball has been in a rebuilding mode since Mooney's arrival until this year.

Will be interesting to see how things play out over time. Basketball is coming back as Mooney has finally had a chance to build his team, and expectations are high this year and going forward. Football has been riding the wave, and will have the on-campus stadium as another huge boost, but of course a new head coach and an expected slight dip as we lose a ton of starters from this year's team leave some questions.

The disjointed nature of the A-10 for all sports and then the CAA for football has really allowed UR to try to be both a football and basketball school. We moved from the CAA to the A-10 for basketball, but that move had zero repercussions on our football affiliation and aspirations, so that's really one benefit of the current setup and in a way an argument against all-sports membership where you may be forced to choose a featured program.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
It's certainly been a basketball school for the last several decades, but the Clawson years, and particularly London's short time, have shifted that balance to where football has been the primary sport of interest. Doesn't hurt that basketball has been in a rebuilding mode since Mooney's arrival until this year.

Will be interesting to see how things play out over time. Basketball is coming back as Mooney has finally had a chance to build his team, and expectations are high this year and going forward. Football has been riding the wave, and will have the on-campus stadium as another huge boost, but of course a new head coach and an expected slight dip as we lose a ton of starters from this year's team leave some questions.

The disjointed nature of the A-10 for all sports and then the CAA for football has really allowed UR to try to be both a football and basketball school. We moved from the CAA to the A-10 for basketball, but that move had zero repercussions on our football affiliation and aspirations, so that's really one benefit of the current setup and in a way an argument against all-sports membership where you may be forced to choose a featured program.

thanks - as an old head, I go back a long way when Richmond was part of the So
Con with West VA and others and Richmond was always where the Southern played their conference basketball tourney ----

ur2k
December 8th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I agree with SF. We're historically (last 25 years or so) a basketball school. I'd say its safe to say that we're one of the original "Giant Killers" of the NCAA tourney with wins as a 12,13,14 & 15 seed.

That said, the performance of the football program has really started to sway the pendulum in that direction the last few years. Undergoing a rebuilding process in hoops didn't help. I'd say we're about even now, but b-ball is hopefully back to competing at a high level this year.

SpiderSafety75
December 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM
thanks - as an old head, I go back a long way when Richmond was part of the So
Con with West VA and others and Richmond was always where the Southern played their conference basketball tourney ----

OMG, at the old trolley car barn, the Richmond Arena. UR was still playing home games there my freshman year. I also watched the first Virginia Squires ABA team play there. Imagine seeing Charlie Scott and Rick Barry going at it in that old dump!

SpiderSafety75
December 8th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for that pic, appattk! That's the kind of shot that should represent the end of an old relic like City Stadium. I know a lot of folks here don't like UR moving into a smaller place (probably especially since they won't be able to flood the place with fans!), but with the parking issues and overall attendance around that 7-8K mark most of the time, 8600 seats sounds right. Camden Yards' fans used to scream for more seats, too - but they sure aren't doing it any more.

I left enough skin and a couple of pieces of knees on that field, but I won't miss the bus rides and the awful locker room facilities. It will be great for students to walk to games, alumni to have a place on campus, and for TV games and visitors to actually see the beautiful campus. I don't think the size will hurt recruiting at all - anyone worried about the size of the stadium isn't coming to UR anyway.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM
OMG, at the old trolley car barn, the Richmond Arena. UR was still playing home games there my freshman year. I also watched the first Virginia Squires ABA team play there. Imagine seeing Charlie Scott and Rick Barry going at it in that old dump!

Didn't have like some kind of support columns right in with the seats? ----