PDA

View Full Version : Apparently it is down to Chattanooga and Frisco as host of the National Championship

Pages : 1 [2]

AshevilleApp2
January 7th, 2010, 11:15 AM
It is if your team is located back east!

Which leads back to the argument that the majority of the teams who reach the Championship are located in the east. By far.

putter
January 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Chattanooga is not more centrally located compared to Frisco? xeyebrowx

Way to cut may quote off too soon there Hen.....xconfusedx

ChopperTN
January 8th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Well on 1/7/11 (the date of next year's FCS championship game), there will be a competing game at Jerry World in Arlington.... The 75th Cotton Bowl

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Well on 1/7/11 (the date of next year's FCS championship game), there will be a competing game at Jerry World in Arlington.... The 75th Cotton Bowl
Tell me you're joking. If not, that should MOST DEFINTELY disqualify Frisco for at least next year. xsmhx

ChopperTN
January 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm not joking, it's going to be on the anniversary date of the first Cotton Bowl next year.

GannonFan
January 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Tell me you're joking. If not, that should MOST DEFINTELY disqualify Frisco for at least next year. xsmhx

Why would that disqualify it? Frankly, this is going to be a problem wherever the game is played now that we've made this ill-fated decision to move the FCS title game into January - we are always going to be going head to head against bowl games, something we never had to do before. Local sales to the game are minimal, and as we've seen with Chatty, a good portion of them have been from the proximity to one school that has made more trips there this decade than any other. If Appy St goes into a post-AE funk, what will that do to ticket sales in Chatty?

I don't see this as a deal breaker at all - just another reason why we are going to see the FCS title game remain a non-entity on the national scene. Right now, I'd just look at the site for what it does for the fans who are going to the game - if Frisco is easier to get to and/or gives a better experience to those who do go to the game, then I'm all for it. Hey, think of it this way too, there'll already be national media right in the backyard - maybe, perversely, this will actually get some of them to realize FCS does have a title game?

MplsBison
January 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM

You're sooooo desperate. Can you feel the game slipping away from Chatty? xlolx xlolx xlolx

bluehenbillk
January 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Take 89Hen with a grain of salt, he misses more than half of UD's games in Newark, much less needs to be worrying about whether Chatty or (not that) Frisco get the title game....

MplsBison
January 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Take 89Hen with a grain of salt, he misses more than half of UD's games in Newark, much less needs to be worrying about whether Chatty or (not that) Frisco get the title game....

HA! And he's the one who loves to dismiss people for never having been to Chatty?!

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Why would that disqualify it?
Surely you're kidding. Having our game at the same time and day as the Cotton Bowl in the same city?

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Local sales to the game are minimal
xnonox Not according to a lot of people here who say the Texas locals will sell this game out on their own.

89Hen
January 8th, 2010, 04:15 PM
HA! And he's the one who loves to dismiss people for never having been to Chatty?!

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex
xconfusedx I've been to Chatty for the game. Have you?

tribe_pride
January 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM
If they were going to move the game to January, they could have played it on a day that was not competing against any bowls. Bad move.

ChopperTN
January 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Granted, the Cotton Bowl is usually earlier in the day, but how long does it take to get from Arlington to Frisco? Considering this year's Cotton Bowl ended at about 6 PM local time and the Championship game started a little after 7 PM Local time, can that drive be made in about an hour considering traffic?

txstatebobcat
January 8th, 2010, 08:56 PM
There are millions of people in the Dallas Metroplex, including (in my very conservative estimation) tens of thousands of FCS alumni within an hour's drive of Frisco. These FCS alumni, along with the people of Frisco will show up regardless of who plays in the cotton bowl.

89Hen
January 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
There are millions of people in the Dallas Metroplex, including (in my very conservative estimation) tens of thousands of FCS alumni within an hour's drive of Frisco. These FCS alumni, along with the people of Frisco will show up regardless of who plays in the cotton bowl.
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx Chalk up another empty promise.

Ronbo
January 9th, 2010, 08:56 AM
In my opinion Chattanooga residents have had their chance and failed. If App. State or GSU doesn't make the game and send 15,000 people then the game is under attended because the locals DO NOT support the game.

Get it out of there.xsmhx

Saint3333
January 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
In my opinion Chattanooga residents have had their chance and failed. If App. State or GSU doesn't make the game and send 15,000 people then the game is under attended because the locals DO NOT support the game.

Get it out of there.xsmhx

Can someone save this quote? Just replace ASU and GSU with Texas State and McNeese. LOCALS DO NOT CARE ABOUT FCS FOOTBALL no matter where the game is.

I've never attended an FCS game in which ASU wasn't playing and I imagine the same can be said for the vast majority of FCS fans. Life is too full for people unless they have a vested interest in one of the teams.

Ronbo
January 9th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Can someone save this quote? Just replace ASU and GSU with Texas State and McNeese. LOCALS DO NOT CARE ABOUT FCS FOOTBALL no matter where the game is.

I've never attended an FCS game in which ASU wasn't playing and I imagine the same can be said for the vast majority of FCS fans. Life is too full for people unless they have a vested interest in one of the teams.

6.5 million within 30 minutes. This game will have a hard time not selling out.

Skjellyfetti
January 9th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Why didn't either of the bowl games in DFW sell out?

Ronbo
January 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Were they in 22,500 seat stadiums?

Saint3333
January 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Yep and 6.498 million of those will not attend the FCS championship game. I live 8 miles from BofA (Panther) stadium and have never attended the Tire Bowl now Car Care bowl. Why because I'm not a fan of either team playing and with the limited interest I have in the game may warrant watching a quarter or two if nothing else isn't going on.

The only people that go to those games (who aren't fans of either team) are companies who have box seats and are hosting clients (who are typically fans of the two teams playing).

What do Montana fans have to gain by playing in Frisco other than making the only team also travel by plane or 18 hours by car to attend the title game? xchinscratchx

MplsBison
January 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM
If neither Chatty or Dallas locals support the game, then Frisco still wins simply by being in a bigger market.

You can't market the DI football championship game by hiding it in a small hilljack town.

Syntax Error
January 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM
As it should, there were more Chatty locals at the champ game this year than fans from the schools

BDKJMU
January 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM

Within 30 minutesxrolleyesx Maybe if you're in a chopper. Try within an hr and a half. The 6.5 million Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex is HUGE. It encompasses a doz counties and nearly 9k square miles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas%E2%80%93Fort_Worth_Metroplex

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 08:04 AM
a small hilljack town.
Funny. Shut the window before your money follows your credibility.

ur2k
January 11th, 2010, 08:14 AM

This, I completely agree with.

If neither Chatty or Dallas locals support the game, then Frisco still wins simply by being in a bigger market.

You can't market the DI football championship game by hiding it in a small hilljack town.

Actually, I think you want this event in a city where it will be THE event, not lost in some giant sprawling area which Dallas is. And the game will be in a suburb, not in an area people want to be in any way. Isn't Frisco 30 miles outside of Dallas?

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Were they in 22,500 seat stadiums?
Eagle Bank Bowl had 23,000 fans in RFK. 5.3 million in the DC metro area. And Temple is only 3 hours away. xscanx

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Actually, I think you want this event in a city where it will be THE event, not lost in some giant sprawling area which Dallas is. And the game will be in a suburb, not in an area people want to be in any way. Isn't Frisco 30 miles outside of Dallas?
xnodx xnodx See my post on the News Feeds board. The game in Chatty is front page, lead TV news story. In Dallas it's Page 12 and doubtful to even be on the TV news.

SideLine Shooter
January 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM
As it should, there were more Chatty locals at the champ game this year than fans from the schools

Exactly, It is a big deal for Chattanooga and nobody will even notice in Frisco, Dallas area.

appmaj
January 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Exactly, It is a big deal for Chattanooga and nobody will even notice in Frisco, Dallas area.

Agreed; Texans will be more concerned with high school playoffs which will be going on at about the same time

813Jag
January 11th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Agreed; Texans will be more concerned with high school playoffs which will be going on at about the same time
shouldn't the playoffs be done by Jan?

813Jag
January 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
are you saying 77,928 and 41,414 are bad figures?

onbison09
January 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
This, I completely agree with.

Yeah it's about 30 miles. I don't think that should be a determining factor though. I mean there's a bunch of big cities around Frisco and they have a couple of teams that draw well. For purely selfish reasons I would love for the game to be in Frisco but I think Chatty would have better attendance.

putter
January 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM

I don't disagree at all. But, if this is true, why are we even arguing? some FCS fans go to Chattanooga for the game even if their teams are not playing but not enough so who cares where it is played? Really all we a arguing about is (if Montana or some other western team plays) is making BOTH teams travel by plane to the NC game.

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 12:41 PM
some FCS fans go to Chattanooga for the game even if their teams are not playing but not enough so who cares where it is played? Really all we a arguing about is (if Montana or some other western team plays) is making BOTH teams travel by plane to the NC game.
That's most of it. IMO it makes most sense to have it somewhere where you have the best chance for at least one of the teams to drive.

GOKATS
January 11th, 2010, 12:59 PM
That's most of it. IMO it makes most sense to have it somewhere where you have the best chance for at least one of the teams to drive.

Why? It's supposed to be a neutral site, lets' make the playing field even. If both teams have to fly so be it. Just for the sake of change I hope Frisco wins out for a few years.

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Why? It's supposed to be a neutral site
Says who? What if USC made it to I-A NC game this year? What if Dallas makes the Super Bowl next year?

As for why... easy... so there's more than 8,000 fans there.

MplsBison
January 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Says who? What if USC made it to I-A NC game this year? What if Dallas makes the Super Bowl next year?

We'll just see about that, won't we?

I can't wait for you to be flat out, dead wrong. Just...pathetically wrong. You put your entire soul into a position....and it's just absolutely as wrong as it can be. Can't wait.

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 01:14 PM
We'll just see about that, won't we?

I can't wait for you to be flat out, dead wrong. Just...pathetically wrong. You put your entire soul into a position....and it's just absolutely as wrong as it can be. Can't wait.
At least it's not personal with you. xrolleyesx

putter
January 11th, 2010, 01:42 PM

There weren't too many more than that this year, regardless of the 14k number they threw out this year. Central for the FCS argument goes only so far if you really can prove it provides better attendance -when a non "local" team is involved. I would be 100% in favor of Chatty if, every year, I saw a lot of Georgia Southern, App, Richmond fans etc. at the game to support the division but I don't. This year was a poor argument to keep it in Chatty. Personally, I think Frisco will give a good offer but I don't think that northern Texas will give a crap about the FCS NC game

Saint3333
January 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I don't disagree at all. But, if this is true, why are we even arguing? some FCS fans go to Chattanooga for the game even if their teams are not playing but not enough so who cares where it is played? Really all we a arguing about is (if Montana or some other western team plays) is making BOTH teams travel by plane to the NC game.

This is what I thought. We've finally cut through the BS about it being about getting more fans and the locals engaged. This is about self interest of each individual team plain and simple.

Keep it in Chattanooga, keep the playoffs at 16 teams, and keep it before Christmas.xpeacex

89Hen
January 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I would be 100% in favor of Chatty if, every year, I saw a lot of Georgia Southern, App, Richmond fans etc. at the game to support the division but I don't. This year was a poor argument to keep it in Chatty. Personally, I think Frisco will give a good offer but I don't think that northern Texas will give a crap about the FCS NC game
I'm confused as to your position. xconfusedx

putter
January 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I'm confused as to your position. xconfusedx

My position is torn. I am saying I would be 100% sold on Nooga if the entire FCS community supported the NC game by showing up to watch it due to the "central location" of the game. They don't so part of me thinks lets give Frisco a chance because, if a more central location like Chattanooga can't draw well without App, GSU etc., then it is no big deal moving it to Texas because you won't do much worse.

GannonFan
January 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I agree with putter here. My experience in Chatty was fine, but that was about it - just fine. It was a decent enough place for a game, but the vast bulk of the crowd came from the followers of the schools involved. If neither of the two schools are terribly close to the finals, the crowds will be more modest in size. If you are close, then the crowds get bigger, but almost never a huge crowd. What's the big deal between 15k in Chatty or 10k in Frisco? They'll look the same on TV. For me, if I go, I'm flying regardless, so since Chatty was just ok, I'm willing to try a new location.

On another note, the title game's been within the geographic footprint of the SoCon for 21 straight years now - I wouldn't mind moving it just based on that stat alone. xnodx

MplsBison
January 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I agree with putter here. My experience in Chatty was fine, but that was about it - just fine. It was a decent enough place for a game, but the vast bulk of the crowd came from the followers of the schools involved. If neither of the two schools are terribly close to the finals, the crowds will be more modest in size. If you are close, then the crowds get bigger, but almost never a huge crowd. What's the big deal between 15k in Chatty or 10k in Frisco? They'll look the same on TV. For me, if I go, I'm flying regardless, so since Chatty was just ok, I'm willing to try a new location.

On another note, the title game's been within the geographic footprint of the SoCon for 21 straight years now - I wouldn't mind moving it just based on that stat alone. xnodx

Gannon, what you don't realize is that 89 was so moved by his religious awakening in Chatty that he decided to invest his life savings into a local establishment there.

Now that the game will be moving away, he'll most likely lose a lot of money.

Or something like that.

That's the only explanation I can come up with for his faux-emotional investment in keeping the game in Chatty.

blur2005
January 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
This is what I thought. We've finally cut through the BS about it being about getting more fans and the locals engaged. This is about self interest of each individual team plain and simple.

Keep it in Chattanooga, keep the playoffs at 16 teams, and keep it before Christmas.xpeacex
Unfortunately, that ship has sailed.

I'm open to moving it to Frisco.

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 07:55 AM
My position is torn. I am saying I would be 100% sold on Nooga if the entire FCS community supported the NC game by showing up to watch it due to the "central location" of the game. They don't so part of me thinks lets give Frisco a chance because, if a more central location like Chattanooga can't draw well without App, GSU etc., then it is no big deal moving it to Texas because you won't do much worse.
I think you misunderstand the central location position. It's not so AppSt fans will come when the game is Montana vs Villanova. The central location is so you have the best chance of at least one of the teams fan base is within driving distance. The only way you'd have a good number of neutral fans show up is if the game were in Boone, Newark, Statesboro, Missoula, Youngstown, Lake Charles, etc....

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Gannon, what you don't realize is that 89 was so moved by his religious awakening in Chatty that he decided to invest his life savings into a local establishment there.

Now that the game will be moving away, he'll most likely lose a lot of money.

Or something like that.

That's the only explanation I can come up with for his faux-emotional investment in keeping the game in Chatty.
At least it's not personal with you. xthumbsdownx

Eaglegus2
January 12th, 2010, 01:18 PM
So, should Frisco get the game and the two teams are from New Hampshire & Portland State? How many butts will be in the seats from the locals?

It will be very interesting to see what the attendance will be in North Texas. I am all for given them a three year deal to see what happens.

Georgia Southern should make it back to the Championship in their 3rd year of hosting. The flight isn't bad from JAX to DFW.

AppMan
January 12th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Sounds to me like all everyone is saying nobody actually cares about the national championship game except those IN the national championship game.

MplsBison
January 12th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Sounds to me like all everyone is saying nobody actually cares about the national championship game except those IN the national championship game.

Well we know this is true for the game in Chatty.

What's being discussed is if this would also be true in Frisco. I think there is a convincing argument that this might not be the case and that the local population would attend the game regardless who the two teams were.

jimbo65
January 12th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Just me but I would not suggest Frisco. Far away from many of the usual contenders and expensive.

MidWest or south should be okay. Drawback to the MidWest is the weather. Actually TX might work.

GannonFan
January 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM
So, should Frisco get the game and the two teams are from New Hampshire & Portland State? How many butts will be in the seats from the locals?

If UNH and Portland St end up in the final, I don't think playing the game in Chatty or Frisco will make much of a difference - it won't be very well attended. Not a knock on either team, just reality.

insideout08
January 12th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Well we know this is true for the game in Chatty.

What's being discussed is if this would also be true in Frisco. I think there is a convincing argument that this might not be the case and that the local population would attend the game regardless who the two teams were.

More than 10,000 tickets were sold either locally or online in 2009, which is a record amount. I think that shows that locals ARE supporting the game more now than in the past.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/21/focus-turns-to-fcs-bids/?sportscollege

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/19/attendance-in-rain-encourages-local-officials/?sportscollege

MplsBison
January 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
More than 10,000 tickets were sold either locally or online in 2009, which is a record amount. I think that shows that locals ARE supporting the game more now than in the past.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/21/focus-turns-to-fcs-bids/?sportscollege

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/dec/19/attendance-in-rain-encourages-local-officials/?sportscollege

Here's the actual quote:

The paid attendance for Friday's title game, in which Villanova defeated Montana 23-21, was 14,328, the lowest since 2003. Montana and Villanova accounted for 3,667 of those tickets through their box offices, meaning a record 10,651 were sold through the UTC box office or online.

In other words, Montana and Nova fans bought their tickets through the UTC ticket office.

FargoBison
January 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
It is time to move the game to a place that is near a major airport and has the right sized stadium. Frisco provides that, Chatty has the stadium but no major airport.

14k shows that the people in Chatty won't support the game well enough to reach a similar status that Omaha has for college baseball. So now it is time to either find that place or at least get the game near a major airport so fans of the teams in the game can get there with more ease and with a smaller impact on their wallets.

I don't care if the game is moved further east(so people out there can drive), just put it in a location that is easy to get to for those out west. A compromise must be made.

GannonFan
January 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM

And we know from past experiences that Appy St fans have been a huge portion of that "local" sale in the past few years as they have bought tickets well before they know if Appy was going to be in the game, which for the past few years with AE has been a decent gamble. We'll get a decent view of the "local" support when Appy St has a down year and it's well established they are down well before the playoffs start.

GannonFan
January 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM
It is time to move the game to a place that is near a major airport and has a decent sized stadium. Frisco provides that, Chatty doesn't.

14k shows that the people in Chatty won't support the game well enough to reach a similar status that Omaha has for college baseball. So now it is time to either find that place or at least get the game near a major airport so fans of the teams in game can get there with more ease and with a smaller impact on their wallets.

I don't care if the game is moved further east(so people out there can drive), just put it in a location that is easy to get to.

I agree with that - in '07 Chatty ran out of rental cars (at least couldn't rent one via the airport via Expedia) - so when the game does do well and two big fanbases come in, people had to fly into other hubs (Atlanta for instance) just to swing a rental car.

89Hen
January 12th, 2010, 04:55 PM
14k shows that the people in Chatty won't support the game well enough to reach a similar status that Omaha has for college baseball.
Apples and oranges for several reasons.

The CBWS is THE championship for college baseball. As much as we like to use semantics and say our chamionship is THE Division I championship, in reality we know that's not how 90+% of the population sees it.

Secondly, there are EIGHT teams in Omaha for the week. If each school brings only 3,000 fans, that's a sellout right there. I'm sure the locals come.

Thirdly, Omaha is a heck of a lot more like Chatty than Frisco I'm guessing. The CBWS is THE story in the town for the entire week.

Finally, the CBWS is in June, while many people are off school and are able to take time off. Our NC occurs right before the winter holidays when many people plan to be off at some point between Christmas and New Years.

JMHO

FargoBison
January 12th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Which takes me back to point B...

at least get the game near a major airport so fans of the teams in the game can get there with more ease and with a smaller impact on their wallets.

Fargo to Dallas-$238 and five hour flight
Fargo to Chatty-$530 and an eight hour flight

It would take a Brinks truck to get a family of four to a game in Chatty.

89Hen
January 13th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Which takes me back to point B...

at least get the game near a major airport so fans of the teams in the game can get there with more ease and with a smaller impact on their wallets.

Fargo to Dallas-$238 and five hour flight
Fargo to Chatty-$530 and an eight hour flight

It would take a Brinks truck to get a family of four to a game in Chatty.
If you'd been, you'd know you fly into Atlanta and drive up to Chatty. Based on pricing it looks like your $238 to DFW is from MSP so you're used to driving on one side.

Per Hotwire...

FAR to DFW = $300.80 4:17 flight
FAR to ATL = $380.80 4:30 flight

BTW, as mentioned earlier, it's more costly for me to fly to DFW than ATL. So it's not cheaper for everyone to fly to Dallas.

xpeacex

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Why would anyone fly to Chattanooga when Nashville and Atlanta airports are so close by and are much cheaper & available options?xconfusedx

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM
If the game is in Frisco on Jan. 7, 2011, how many locals would attend that game vs. the Cotton Bowl, which is to be held on the same day? That said, if Frisco can come up with the facility and cash to support the game, the NCAA's got to consider it.

Actual attendance (i.e.- fannies in the seats) of the FCS NC game will ALWAYS depend on the drawing ability of the two participanting teams. While SOME support may come from locals, it's never going to be a difference maker.

chrisattsu
January 13th, 2010, 09:02 AM
If the game is in Frisco on Jan. 7, 2011, how many locals would attend that game vs. the Cotton Bowl, which is to be held on the same day? That said, if Frisco can come up with the facility and cash to support the game, the NCAA's got to consider it.

Actual attendance (i.e.- fannies in the seats) of the FCS NC game will ALWAYS depend on the drawing ability of the two participanting teams. While SOME support may come from locals, it's never going to be a difference maker.

The Cotton Bowl is played on January 1st, every year.

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 09:07 AM
The Cotton Bowl is played on January 1st, every year.

The 2009 & 2010 Cotton Bowls took place on Jan. 2.

The 2011 Cotton Bowl is being played on Jan. 7, which would conflict with the FCS NC game.

See:
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2818/cotton-bowl-set-for-prime-time-kickoff-for-2011-game

lionsrking2
January 13th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Considering that the metroplex has over 6 million people, my guess is there's enough sports fans in the area to walk and chew gum at the same time.

SumItUp
January 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM
The Cotton Bowl tickets start at $100.00 for reserved seats in the nosebleed sections (they still have a good view of the action with the gargantuous video screen). Parking is $85.00 per vehicle. The Cotton Bowl is not a reason to dismiss the Frisco idea.

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Considering that the metroplex has over 6 million people, my guess is there's enough sports fans in the area to walk and chew gum at the same time.

The question isn't whether they can walk and chew gum, but how many of CFB fans among those 6M will attend the FCS NC game. We can speculate all we want but, unlike Chattanooga, it's a complete unknown. How many of those 6M have any interest in FCS FB? I don't know.

How much media attention will the Cotton Bowl syphon from the FCS game? In Chattanooga, it would literally be the only game in town. In D-FW, we're going to take a backseat to the Cotton Bowl.

These are questions that the NCAA will likely consider, not things that matter a whole lot to me personally. I really don't have a preference. I'll follow my team to any place where I can get in and out of quickly and is affordable. At that time of year, I wouldn't be able to stay more than a day or two at most. Dallas is just as good as Chattanooga for me and, from the variety standpoint, maybe even a little better. I'd also be perfectly happy if the game stayed in Chattanooga. The city does a great job hosting.

89Hen
January 13th, 2010, 09:50 AM
In Chattanooga, it would literally be the only game in town. In D-FW, we're going to take a backseat to the Cotton Bowl.
I don't think anyone should underestimate that. It's a huge part of the experience for going.

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I don't think anyone should underestimate that. It's a huge part of the experience for going.

But why is that important? I flew into Atlanta the morning of the game, drove the 2+ hours north to Chatty, checked into my hotel, drove down to tailgate and walk around other tailgates, went into the game, saw the game, left when the game was over, slept for a few hours, and then woke up and drove back to Atlanta to make an early flight the next day. My time in Chatty amounted to a little less than 24 hours, and I'm sure the vast majority of fans who flew in or drove had the same or similar experience. The number of people who make the game into a destination type event, where they spend several days there and do more than the game has to be relatively small.

Whether the Chatty media really covered the event or not didn't matter one iota to me - it's not like I was picking up Chatty newspapers on the way into town. The local media from each school does more coverage and for most fans, that's what they read.

I can buy into the idea that having the game as close as possible to the teams playing in it is beneficial - no doubt having the game in Appy St's backyard for the past few years has been a big boon when they are in the game - but that's the only part about the "local" aspect that makes any real sense. What the Chatty locals cover in their newspapers the week of the game or the couple of thousand that may buy tickets ends up amounting to very little to the general experience for most of the fans coming into town, IMO.

89Hen
January 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Whether the Chatty media really covered the event or not didn't matter one iota to me - it's not like I was picking up Chatty newspapers on the way into town.
I did. Watched the news that night too. All the locals at the bars knew what was going on.

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM

I don't know how important it is from the personal experience angle, but it certainly is important in the NCAA's effort to promote the game, selling tickets to locals, etc. But that doesn't concern me personally.

As GF suggested, for me it's also about the ease & cost of getting in and out, the quality and availability restaurants and hotels, and the quality of stadium, the seating & gameday experience. From the personal standpoint, I don't doubt that Frisco/D-FW can meet all of the requirements... except the last one, which is an unknown. They could very do a great job with the pre-game experience.

lionsrking2
January 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM
The question isn't whether they can walk and chew gum, but how many of CFB fans among those 6M will attend the FCS NC game. We can speculate all we want but, unlike Chattanooga, it's a complete unknown. How many of those 6M have any interest in FCS FB? I don't know.

How much media attention will the Cotton Bowl syphon from the FCS game? In Chattanooga, it would literally be the only game in town. In D-FW, we're going to take a backseat to the Cotton Bowl.

These are questions that the NCAA will likely consider, not things that matter a whole lot to me personally. I really don't have a preference. I'll follow my team to any place where I can get in and out of quickly and is affordable. At that time of year, I wouldn't be able to stay more than a day or two at most. Dallas is just as good as Chattanooga for me and, from the variety standpoint, maybe even a little better. I'd also be perfectly happy if the game stayed in Chattanooga. The city does a great job hosting.

Let's see...the greater Chattanooga metro area has a little over 500,000 people...the Dallas metroplex has roughly 6.5 million people...let's say locals make up the entire Cotton Bowl crowd, you're still well over 6 million...I don't get the argument.

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I did. Watched the news that night too. All the locals at the bars knew what was going on.

And I turned on ESPN when I got back to my room and watched the highlights there. And yes, the folks at the place I ate dinner knew about the game, but that didn't make the food taste any better (the food was real good btw). Heck, there weren't even very many locals in the place I ate - mostly were either Appy St fans or UD fans in town for the game, and the place I ate at wasn't even that close to the stadium.

MplsBison
January 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Good for you.

But keeping the game in Chatty for the sake of having it on the front page of the small, local paper and so that the locals in the bars know about it?

Come on. You're going to have to do much better than that.

Try to act like a business man about this, not a kid going to Disneyworld. xcoffeex

89Hen
January 13th, 2010, 10:46 AM
let's say locals make up the entire Cotton Bowl crowd
I know you're tying to make a point, but xconfusedx The Cotton Bowl did not really come close to selling out. I'm not sure there were many locals in attendance.

putter
January 13th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I know you're tying to make a point, but xconfusedx The Cotton Bowl did not really come close to selling out. I'm not sure there were many locals in attendance.

And that is the only way the FCS game will ever really sell out is with local support. IMO this game gets shortchanged by ESPN and the NCAA because there is NO hype or promotion for the game. I never once saw an advertisement for the NC game until the day of the game. If the powers that be actually got behind the game and told people about it I think the ratings would be better and the attendance could be better. Montana gets the shaft anyway because we get to fly no matte where it is. maybe that is why we wouldn't mind trying Frisco to see what they can add.

lionsrking2
January 13th, 2010, 11:09 AM

Not sure the point you're trying to make...I could care less about the Cotton Bowl...I was responding to whoever it was that questioned how the Dallas area could support both the Cotton Bowl and the FCS championship on the same day...all I said was let's stipulate that the Cotton Bowl draws 100,000 locals...that still leaves over 6 million folks for the FCS game to peel off about 8 to 10 thousand...with good marketing, it could be done easily.

But the main issue will be corporate sponsorship, and given the number of Fortune 500 companies located in the Dallas area, it should be a much easier sell - that's what the NCAA cares about the most.

danefan
January 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
But the main issue will be corporate sponsorship, and given the number of Fortune 500 companies located in the Dallas area, it should be a much easier sell - that's what the NCAA cares about the most.

Southwest Airlines has reportedly agreed to be the major corporate sponsor.

FargoBison
January 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
If you'd been, you'd know you fly into Atlanta and drive up to Chatty. Based on pricing it looks like your $238 to DFW is from MSP so you're used to driving on one side.

Per Hotwire...

FAR to DFW = $300.80 4:17 flight
FAR to ATL = $380.80 4:30 flight

BTW, as mentioned earlier, it's more costly for me to fly to DFW than ATL. So it's not cheaper for everyone to fly to Dallas.

xpeacex

That number was from priceline(booked three weeks out) It was $170 from MPLS to Dallas btw.

But like I said before, move the game further east, I don't care. Just put it near a major airport. I doubt the price difference for you is as drastic as it is for the people out west.

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Let's see...the greater Chattanooga metro area has a little over 500,000 people...the Dallas metroplex has roughly 6.5 million people...let's say locals make up the entire Cotton Bowl crowd, you're still well over 6 million...I don't get the argument.

I suppose the argument would go something like, "How many of the 6M locals in D-FW will support a level of FB they have no connection to versus the known local support from Chattanooga, who does indeed have a direct connection to FCS FB?" Despite the Metroplex's large population, the ability to garner even as much local support as a small city like Chatt gets for the game is completely an unknown. Speculate all you want.

Having the Cotton Bowl on the same day doesn't help from any standpoint. Then again, the NCAA has the flexibility to move the NC game to another date.

What's going to make or break the FCS NC Game, no matter where it's held, is the ease & expense for the fans of the participating teams to get to and from the game. Chances are good that whenever the FCS has a NC game where both participants have to fly in, the attendance is going to be lower than if one or both could drive. This is why I think Frisco might be a longer shot than Chatt.

We'll see what the NCAA decides.

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Southwest Airlines has reportedly agreed to be the major corporate sponsor.

That's great. SW flies in to both Nashville & Dallas.xsmiley_wix

Jaguar79
January 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Just a note .... the greater Dallas area has already shown it can support FCS Football, but that is SWAC Football and the State Fair Classic.

But, this would be a different crowd so I don't know what to tell the rest of FCS. Good Luck with Frisco though. It is a nice place to visit and the Pizza Hut Park is beautiful.

89Hen
January 13th, 2010, 11:34 AM
And that is the only way the FCS game will ever really sell out is with local support. IMO this game gets shortchanged by ESPN and the NCAA because there is NO hype or promotion for the game. I never once saw an advertisement for the NC game until the day of the game.
Agreed.

bluehenbillk
January 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM
http://blogs.delawareonline.com/collegesports/2010/01/12/breaking-thoughts-tuesday-jan-12/

Do we have the date correct for the FCS NC game? It's been bandied around here saying it's Friday 1/7/11, but the above link in the Wilmington(DE) News Journal says it's Sunday night 1/9/11.

89Hen
January 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Just a note .... the greater Dallas area has already shown it can support FCS Football, but that is SWAC Football and the State Fair Classic.
FWIW, the SF Classic was the 6th most attended classic last year. The other classic in Dallas was one of the most poorly attended (15k for a game that featured a Texas school). xpeacex

UNH Fanboi
January 13th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I suppose the argument would go something like, "How many of the 6M locals in D-FW will support a level of FB they have no connection to versus the known local support from Chattanooga, who does indeed have a direct connection to FCS FB?" Despite the Metroplex's large population, the ability to garner even as much local support as a small city like Chatt gets for the game is completely an unknown. Speculate all you want.

Having the Cotton Bowl on the same day doesn't help from any standpoint. Then again, the NCAA has the flexibility to move the NC game to another date.

What's going to make or break the FCS NC Game, no matter where it's held, is the ease & expense for the fans of the participating teams to get to and from the game. Chances are good that whenever the FCS has a NC game where both participants have to fly in, the attendance is going to be lower than if one or both could drive. This is why I think Frisco might be a longer shot than Chatt.

We'll see what the NCAA decides.

If the NCAA gave a **** about participating fans driving, the game wouldn't be at Frisco or Chatty. Chatty is convenient for ASU, but that's pretty much it. Yes it's "drivable" from a lot of other schools, but it's not by any means convenient for the vast majority of schools. Shifting the game to early January when (a) most colleges are out of session and students are dispersed at their parents' houses and (b) people are sick of traveling from the holidays and have used a lot of vacations days, only makes the situation worse.

It's clear that all the NCAA cares about is squeezing as much money from the game as possible, not making the game accessible for fans of the teams playing the game. I'm sure that there would be plenty of stadiums in much more convenient locations that would be willing to host the game but for the NCAA's financial demands.

89Hen
January 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
But why is that important?

http://www.ncaa.com/blog/2009d1football/2009/12/chattanooga-championship-city.html

One cannot pass a street corner within 10 miles of Chattanooga's Finley Stadium without being reminded that it is home to the NCAA Div. I football championship.

Banners hanging from lamp posts, decals plastered to the sidewalks, posters in bar, restaurant and hotel front windows -- it becomes quickly evident that this southeastern Tennessee city takes pride in its involvement with the Championship Subdivision's premier game.

This is Chattanooga's 13th time hosting the title match-up, dating back to 1997. Past winners crowned in Finley Stadium are immortalized on the building's Wall of Champions, and plaques listing all 12 of the previous champions appear in elevators throughout the facility.

"The city treats this like a bowl game," said University of Tennessee-Chattanooga head football coach Ross Huesman.

Much like the season ending games for its Bowl Subdivision counterparts, the FCS vis a vis Chattanooga has made the subdivision's grand finale more than a game -- it's an event.

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 01:01 PM
...Chatty is convenient for ASU, but that's pretty much it. Yes it's "drivable" from a lot of other schools, but it's not by any means convenient for the vast majority of schools...

It's clear that all the NCAA cares about is squeezing as much money from the game as possible, not making the game accessible for fans of the teams playing the game. I'm sure that there would be plenty of stadiums in much more convenient locations that would be willing to host the game but for the NCAA's financial demands.

Come on. You really believe the FCS NC game is some cash cow that the NCAA milks?xlolx The FCS NC game in recent years has done better than break even but it is, by no means, a huge windfall for the NCAA. Rather than "squeezing as much money from the game as possible", they are happy when it does better than break even. That's just being fiscally responsible.

Which city capable of & interested in hosting would be more centrally located than Chattanooga? There were only 4 who bid and 2 who were selected. Between Frisco & Chatt, there's no question which town is more driveable (within 5-6 hours) to more FCS college campuses.

100%GRIZ
January 13th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Come on. You really believe the FCS NC game is some cash cow that the NCAA milks?xlolx The FCS NC game in recent years has done better than break even but it is, by no means, a huge windfall for the NCAA. Rather than "squeezing as much money from the game as possible", they are happy when it does better than break even. That's just being fiscally responsible.

Which city capable of & interested in hosting would be more centrally located than Chattanooga? There were only 4 who bid and 2 who were selected. Between Frisco & Chatt, there's no question which town is more driveable (within 5-6 hours) to more FCS college campuses.

Time for some east coast teams to travel! Frisco it is!

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/blog/2009d1football/2009/12/chattanooga-championship-city.html

One cannot pass a street corner within 10 miles of Chattanooga's Finley Stadium without being reminded that it is home to the NCAA Div. I football championship.

Banners hanging from lamp posts, decals plastered to the sidewalks, posters in bar, restaurant and hotel front windows -- it becomes quickly evident that this southeastern Tennessee city takes pride in its involvement with the Championship Subdivision's premier game.

This is Chattanooga's 13th time hosting the title match-up, dating back to 1997. Past winners crowned in Finley Stadium are immortalized on the building's Wall of Champions, and plaques listing all 12 of the previous champions appear in elevators throughout the facility.

"The city treats this like a bowl game," said University of Tennessee-Chattanooga head football coach Ross Huesman.

Much like the season ending games for its Bowl Subdivision counterparts, the FCS vis a vis Chattanooga has made the subdivision's grand finale more than a game -- it's an event.

Come on, you're touting banners hanging from lampposts and posters around town? Make it a requirement that Frisco put up similar decorations and you have the same "event" feel that Chatty has. I saw the banners and I saw the posters - they were nice but it hardly raised the level of excitement for the game. What made the game exciting, pre-game, was all the fans from both schools tailgating and hanging out before the game. No reason why that would be any different in Frisco. Outside of a few SoCon and CAA teams, a lot of people are flying to get to Chatty now - won' t be any different for Frisco. Besides, on the rare occassion that you have an Appy/UD type final, you won't have people from those teams being unable to get tickets like the last time.

henfan
January 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM

I'm sure it doesn't matter to CAA teams & fans. Most of us are flying to the NC whether it's in Chattanooga, Frisco or elsewhere. The game has never been held in the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast and isn't likely to anytime soon.

The change in location would probably matter more to SoCon, OVC & MEAC teams, though the latter haven't participated in the NC for many years.

Does it really matter to UM fans if the game is in Dallas vs. Chatt in terms of travel? You're boarding a plane to fly halfway across the country no matter what.

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'm sure it doesn't matter to CAA teams & fans. Most of us are flying to the NC whether it's in Chattanooga, Frisco or elsewhere. The game has never been held in the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast and isn't likely to anytime soon.

The change in location would probably matter more to SoCon, OVC & MEAC teams, though the latter haven't participated in the NC for many years.

Yup, Griz fans are silly - for a UD fan, it was either a roughly 12 hour, one-way drive (24 hour to and from), or a plane trip, to Chatty (and for most that was a plane trip to Atlanta or Nashville and the drive from there). The SoCon has been the big beneficiary of national championship locations - something like the past 21 years the game has been in a SoCon town.

Syntax Error
January 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Yup, Griz fans are silly - for a UD fan, it was either a roughly 12 hour, one-way drive (24 hour to and from), or a plane trip, to Chatty (and for most that was a plane trip to Atlanta or Nashville and the drive from there). The SoCon has been the big beneficiary of national championship locations - something like the past 21 years the game has been in a SoCon town.
23 of the last 27 years the game has been in what can be called a Socon town, the other 4 years it was in what could be called a BSC town.

15 of those 23 years a Socon team was in the game.

All four of the other years a Socon team was in the game (twice it was Furman v. Georgia Southern), no BSC teams.

None of the last 27 games have been all West teams.

So basically there is a reason why Chatty has the game and not a Western location. It's kind of in the middle of where most of the teams come from.

GannonFan
January 13th, 2010, 04:08 PM
23 of the last 27 years the game has been in what can be called a Socon town, the other 4 years it was in what could be called a BSC town.

15 of those 23 years a Socon team was in the game.

All four of the other years a Socon team was in the game (twice it was Furman v. Georgia Southern), no BSC teams.

None of the last 27 games have been all West teams.

So basically there is a reason why Chatty has the game and not a Western location. It's kind of in the middle of where most of the teams come from.

Of course, since some of those numbers include the Marshall days when the tournament was skewed to their advantage (Marshall played all of one road playoff game in those years, and then only after much pushback from the rest of I-AA), and even the GSU years when the finals were in Statesboro (and GSU never went on the road in those years, that's a way to be self-fulfilling. I'm not arguing for the Western teams since outside of Montana no one else has shown they are a legit threat to win the title, but saying that it should be in SoCon territory because of the historical performance is a little disingenious if you don't include the background to that historical performance.

putter
January 13th, 2010, 04:47 PM
With the date being pushed back it is now the FCS National Championship bowl game. Fans receive a month to plan their flights, hotel etc. Both teams in the BS have to travel so with the extra time why is it a big deal? Yes, the ideal situation would be to have one or no team fly and one or both drive but is that realistic or should even be considered?

1)Newark - Chatty 693 miles
2)Philly - Chatty 736 miles
3)Richmond-Chatty 549 miles
4)Boone - Chatty 270 miles
5)GSU - Chatty 324 miles
6)Cedar Falls - 864 miles
7)Missoula - Chatty 2102 miles

Since most schools arent close enough for the casual FCS fan (whose team is not playing) to go to the game, one flight - two flights, big deal. Extra time to plan now.

This is not a knock against Chatty..just keeping an open mind

Syntax Error
January 13th, 2010, 11:11 PM
... saying that it should be in SoCon territory because of the historical performance is a little disingenious if you don't include the background to that historical performance.

I included only historical performance facts and background.

You said the champ game shouldn't be in a Socon town because of so many years being there.

I pointed out that Socon teams had been there the most and Chatty is pretty central to the historical participants.

Now you are trying to say the reason that Socon teams were there was BECAUSE it was in a Socon town and they played home games?

Did Socon teams cheat to get there? Did they not deserve to be there? Did they not win games to get there? Was the fix in?

A few years back someone did a longitude/latitude study of championship participants and the epicenter was near Bowling Green, KY. xcoffeex

Syntax Error
January 13th, 2010, 11:22 PM
With the date being pushed back it is now the FCS National Championship bowl game. Fans receive a month to plan their flights, hotel etc. Both teams in the BS have to travel so with the extra time why is it a big deal? ... Since most schools arent close enough for the casual FCS fan (whose team is not playing) to go to the game...

All teams in the BSC fly nearly every game right? So this is no big deal to BSC teams.

With the game scheduled in January now it is a perfect Xmas gift opportunity, tickets and hotel! xthumbsupx

BTW, I make the 600 mile drive every year to Chatty. I save a ton on expenses by not flying. It's 900 miles to Frisco.

EastCoast
January 13th, 2010, 11:39 PM
The game should remain in Chattanooga--because the proximity, atmosphere and intimacy will be lost if the game is in Frisco. Without the close proximity of hotels, restaurants, bars and game--as well as pep rally site and team hotels--much of the championship attraction and atmosphere will be lost in Frisco.

Frisco is a new suburb. It has almost no hotels. No matter how much the Frisco championship committee tries, the event will not be what it has become in Chattanooga.

My guess is that only Montana fans fly in droves to the game. If the game is move farther away from the good team teams, and increases driving distance, then attendance of the two teams will decline. Of course, a Southwestern conference team in the championship would increase attendance. But when was the last time one of those teams was in the championship?

I hope the NCAA doesn't opt for a guarantee or what it thinks might be local attendance, and screw the I-AA fans who like to come, have fun and hang out for several days.

Ncaa, please don't ruin the championship game atmosphere.

FargoBison
January 14th, 2010, 12:01 AM
The game should remain in Chattanooga--because the proximity, atmosphere and intimacy will be lost if the game is in Frisco. Without the close proximity of hotels, restaurants, bars and game--as well as pep rally site and team hotels--much of the championship attraction and atmosphere will be lost in Frisco.

Frisco is a new suburb. It has almost no hotels. No matter how much the Frisco championship committee tries, the event will not be what it has become in Chattanooga.

My guess is that only Montana fans fly in droves to the game. If the game is move farther away from the good team teams, and increases driving distance, then attendance of the two teams will decline. Of course, a Southwestern conference team in the championship would increase attendance. But when was the last time one of those teams was in the championship?

I hope the NCAA doesn't opt for a guarantee or what it thinks might be local attendance, and screw the I-AA fans who like to come, have fun and hang out for several days.

Ncaa, please don't ruin the championship game atmosphere.

Last time I checked the NCAA wasn't signing a lifetime contract with Frisco. If it fails the game can and should be moved. It is sad to see that some won't even give it a chance, most are App State/SoCon fans though, who have the most to lose.

EastCoast
January 14th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Last time I checked the NCAA wasn't signing a lifetime contract with Frisco. If it fails the game can and should be moved. It is sad to see that some won't even give it a chance, most are App State/SoCon fans though, who have the most to lose.

I assume you have never been to the championship game or Chattanooga, so you don't actually know what I was talking about.

FargoBison
January 14th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I assume you have never been to the championship game or Chattanooga, so you don't actually know what I was talking about.

Having not been to a championship game in Frisco hasn't stopped you from making assumptions.

MplsBison
January 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Banners, decals and posters!!!! It's just like Disneyworld!

89....please, please, please don't tell me that the reason you like Chatty is because it "looks the part"?

Who gives a flying rats if there are banners up?! Cripes...

GannonFan
January 14th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I included only historical performance facts and background.

You said the champ game shouldn't be in a Socon town because of so many years being there.

I pointed out that Socon teams had been there the most and Chatty is pretty central to the historical participants.

Now you are trying to say the reason that Socon teams were there was BECAUSE it was in a Socon town and they played home games?

Did Socon teams cheat to get there? Did they not deserve to be there? Did they not win games to get there? Was the fix in?

A few years back someone did a longitude/latitude study of championship participants and the epicenter was near Bowling Green, KY. xcoffeex

Well, if you were watching FCS football back during the Marshall years, then you would certainly wonder if the fix was in. Amazingly an 8-3 Marshall team never had to leave Huntingdon, despite playing teams higher in the rankings, with better records, and with conference championships over what Marshall had. But of course, Marshall was the home team for the title game and hence the advantage of playing at home. Of course they still had to win those games, but I think we all are aware of the advantage, at least, of playing at home in the playoffs. GSU got that advantage at least once when playing in Statesboro as well.

Poker Alan
January 14th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Well, if you were watching FCS football back during the Marshall years, then you would certainly wonder if the fix was in. Amazingly an 8-3 Marshall team never had to leave Huntingdon, despite playing teams higher in the rankings, with better records, and with conference championships over what Marshall had. But of course, Marshall was the home team for the title game and hence the advantage of playing at home. Of course they still had to win those games, but I think we all are aware of the advantage, at least, of playing at home in the playoffs. GSU got that advantage at least once when playing in Statesboro as well.

Hence why Montana fans always call the '95 championship a 'road' victory...

GannonFan
January 14th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hence why Montana fans always call the '95 championship a 'road' victory...

Not a Montana fan but I agree with that - that was clearly a road victory and a great achievement for the Griz that year - Dickinson's last year as a Griz, right?

putter
January 14th, 2010, 11:36 AM
yep, the legend was born that day...

89Hen
January 14th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Or no one to travel. That's the point. xpeacex

89Hen
January 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM
won' t be any different for Frisco. Besides, on the rare occassion that you have an Appy/UD type final, you won't have people from those teams being unable to get tickets like the last time.
That's for sure. xsmhx

89Hen
January 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Most of the ones most vocal about moving it are fans that are far from Chatty and have never been. xeyebrowx

MplsBison
January 14th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Most of the ones most vocal about moving it are fans that are far from Chatty and have never been. xeyebrowx

Red herring.

Why not debate the merits of having the game in Chatty or Frisco instead of trying to distract people with irrelevant points?

GannonFan
January 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM

Don't include me in that. I'm probably favoring Frisco over Chatty and I've travelled to Chatty. Granted, I'm a solid 12 hour or more drive from Chatty so I might be in the "far" group, but I'd like to see a change.

89Hen
January 14th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Don't include me in that.
I didn't. I wouldn't consider you one of "the most vocal". xpeacex

Rekdiver
January 14th, 2010, 07:42 PM
If App makes it to the final I'll be there. even the smurf field in Idaho I'd go to.
there are some NICE places to visit in Dallas.

MplsBison
January 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I think this thread can close.

The merits of the game at Chatty and Frisco have been discussed.

This has turned into nothing more than emotional appeals and red herrings.

Lets just wait and see what they say in March.

BDKJMU
January 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM
But why is that important? I flew into Atlanta the morning of the game, drove the 2+ hours north to Chatty, checked into my hotel, drove down to tailgate and walk around other tailgates, went into the game, saw the game, left when the game was over, slept for a few hours, and then woke up and drove back to Atlanta to make an early flight the next day. My time in Chatty amounted to a little less than 24 hours, and I'm sure the vast majority of fans who flew in or drove had the same or similar experience. The number of people who make the game into a destination type event, where they spend several days there and do more than the game has to be relatively small.

Whether the Chatty media really covered the event or not didn't matter one iota to me - it's not like I was picking up Chatty newspapers on the way into town. The local media from each school does more coverage and for most fans, that's what they read.

I can buy into the idea that having the game as close as possible to the teams playing in it is beneficial - no doubt having the game in Appy St's backyard for the past few years has been a big boon when they are in the game - but that's the only part about the "local" aspect that makes any real sense. What the Chatty locals cover in their newspapers the week of the game or the couple of thousand that may buy tickets ends up amounting to very little to the general experience for most of the fans coming into town, IMO.

Yep in 04' I had a similar experience. Left from south of Philly that Thur evening, rendevoued with some people in Richmond that night, and drove all night and got there Fri morning. Stayed in the Hampton Inn which isn't downtown. Was tailgating before noon. After the game was back to the hotel. Saturday morning the 3 of us that rode down in my truck got up and left. Never even saw downtown, and I know a lot of people I tailgated with didn't either. If Chatty keeps it and JMU makes it again, I'm sure I'll do similar, make whats about an 11 hr drive from just south of Philly (which doesn't include stops, and longer if I have to rendevou with people in VA) and hopefully get down there late that Thur night prior. Tailgate all day on the Fri, after the game and maybe post tailgate, go back to the hotel, and that Sat morning get up and leave. Would only see downtown if I happened to stay downtown.

Thats the only reason I hope it stays in Chatty- for selfish reasons for myself and JMU fans since its driveable from the Philly area (and I can visit with family in VA on the way back), and since its driveable for the bulk of JMU fans (7+ hrs from Harrisonburg, 8+ from Richmond, and around 9 from Northern VA and the Tidewater area.

If Frisco was closer and driveable for me and Chatty wasn't, I'd be all for Frisco

89Hen
January 15th, 2010, 11:53 AM
If Frisco was closer and driveable for me and Chatty wasn't, I'd be all for Frisco
So would I. xnodx

BDKJMU
January 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Mapquest has Newark to Chatty at 11.5 hrs, and for for drivetime, I would think your typical driver on the interstate (about 10 mph above the speed limit) could make it in more like 10.5 (not including stops and if you could avoid any traffic jams) as its about 695 mi. and interstate almost the whole way.

GannonFan
January 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Mapquest has Newark to Chatty at 11.5 hrs, and for for drivetime, I would think your typical driver on the interstate (about 10 mph above the speed limit) could make it in more like 10.5 (not including stops and if you could avoid any traffic jams) as its about 695 mi. and interstate almost the whole way.

Well, considering that I live 1.5 hours north of Newark, DE, that's where I came up with my 12 hour drive. And with a wife and kids, trust me, I'm going to have to stop at least once in those 12 hours of driving. xreadx

89Hen
January 15th, 2010, 01:50 PM
And with a wife and kids, trust me, I'm going to have to stop at least once in those 12 hours of driving. xreadx
Closer to 12 times. :p

Syntax Error
January 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I think this thread can close.

Thanks you for your thoughts and sorry to see you leave this thread but we'll just have to move on without you I guess.

Head Cat
January 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks you for your thoughts and sorry to see you leave this thread but we'll just have to move on without you I guess.
Can't agree with you more, Syntax.

bluehenbillk
January 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
This thread will be moot soon. I have some well-placed sources that tell me barring a colossal blunder that the NC will be awarded next to Frisco, TX.

putter
January 16th, 2010, 11:33 PM
This thread will be moot soon. I have some well-placed sources that tell me barring a colossal blunder that the NC will be awarded next to Frisco, TX.

Well then lets hope that Frisco has some local hotels and restaurants. The thing I like about Nooga vs. what some have said about Frisco is that fans can basically be all in the same area, which makes it fun. If you spread out the fans it could take away the atmosphere that Nooga has.

McNeese72
January 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Well then lets hope that Frisco has some local hotels and restaurants. The thing I like about Nooga vs. what some have said about Frisco is that fans can basically be all in the same area, which makes it fun. If you spread out the fans it could take away the atmosphere that Nooga has.

It's 20-30 north of Dallas. There are eating places and hotels all over.

Doc

The Cats
January 17th, 2010, 10:28 AM

Doc

....and there will be no one there to eat or stay in those hotels come game time....if two teams east of the Mississippi are in the Championship game.

I'm not saying Chatty is the best place to hold the game... but given the choice between these two cities.... at least Chatty is situated in the heart of FCS football... the eastern United States.

MplsBison
January 17th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Good.

Can't wait for the first NC game in Frisco to sell out and be a huge success.

JSU02
January 17th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Bad move xnonono2x

Keenan
January 17th, 2010, 11:46 AM

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapx
xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
January 17th, 2010, 11:46 AM

That's unfortunate for most of us, but I guess the Southland folks will be happy.xrolleyesx

doolittledog
January 17th, 2010, 11:50 AM
....and there will be no one there to eat or stay in those hotels come game time....if two teams east of the Mississippi are in the Championship game.
I'm not saying Chatty is the best place to hold the game... but given the choice between these two cities.... at least Chatty is situated in the heart of FCS football... the eastern United States.

So it's ok to ask western teams to travel great distances, but it's not fair to ask eastern teams...or even expect eastern teams to ever travel. Nice.

DFW HOYA
January 17th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Doc

Saying Frisco is "north of Dallas" is like playing at Stony Brook and saying it's east of New York.

89Hen
January 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
So it's ok to ask western teams to travel great distances, but it's not fair to ask eastern teams...or even expect eastern teams to ever travel. Nice.
Do the math. IF we could find a place in the west where we'd likely have at least one team in the game that is within driving distance... great. The only place I can think of that would allow for that is Missoula, MT. Anywhere else and you pretty much guarantee BOTH teams will have to fly.

100%GRIZ
January 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Do the math. IF we could find a place in the west where we'd likely have at least one team in the game that is within driving distance... great. The only place I can think of that would allow for that is Missoula, MT. Anywhere else and you pretty much guarantee BOTH teams will have to fly.

With both teams having to fly that then would make everything equal ! Now that is a novel idea! I vote Frisco!

Head Cat
January 17th, 2010, 01:27 PM

Good.

I'm sure you will be the first in line to buy tickets.

Keenan
January 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Saying Frisco is "north of Dallas" is like playing at Stony Brook and saying it's east of New York.

The most ignorant quote of this thread so far. Stony Brook is on Long Island which is a couple of hours outside of New York City. Frisco is north of Dallas and you can get there in 30-40 minutes from DFW. Go find yourself a map.

UAalum72
January 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
The most ignorant quote of this thread so far. Stony Brook is on Long Island which is a couple of hours outside of New York City. Frisco is north of Dallas and you can get there in 30-40 minutes from DFW. Go find yourself a map.
Find your own map. LaValle Stadium is 51.1 miles from LaGuardia and 52.4 from JFK.

Both Yahoo and Google maps assign a 20 minute penalty for traffic to both SB and Frisco.

Yes, easterners might consider SB a long trip and westerners say Frisco is next door, but you can't change personalities when comparing them.

McNeese72
January 17th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Find your own map. LaValle Stadium is 51.1 miles from LaGuardia and 52.4 from JFK.

Both Yahoo and Google maps assign a 20 minute penalty for traffic to both SB and Frisco.

Yes, easterners might consider SB a long trip and westerners say Frisco is next door, but you can't change personalities when comparing them.

Frisco is 29.8 miles for Dallas/Fort Worth International. That is nothing.

Doc

UAalum72
January 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Doc
So 29.8 is nothing but 51.1 is something?

I'd say DFWHoya (who must know the area) is literally correct on the northofDallas/eastofNYC comparison. It's arguable whether either is far or not. But it's far from the "most ignorant quote of this thread so far."

Keenan
January 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM

I'd say DFWHoya (who must know the area) is literally correct on the northofDallas/eastofNYC comparison. It's arguable whether either is far or not. But it's far from the "most ignorant quote of this thread so far."

Apparently it would take the same amount of time to get from NYC-->Stony Brook as it does Dallas-->Frisco. I have driven both, and it is not even a close comparison.

JohnStOnge
January 17th, 2010, 07:24 PM

According to Mapquest, city center wise, Stony Brook is close to twice as far from New York City as Frisco is from Dallas. Rounding it off it's 29 miles vs. 55.

I only drove in the New York City area once and it was an absolute nighmare. Worst ever in my experience. But I'll admit that it was only once. I've driven in the Dallas area a few times and it wasn't so bad. Of course, again, it was only a few times. But based on those few times it wasn't as bad, to me, as New Orleans is even though New Orleans is relatively small.

UAalum72
January 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM
According to Mapquest, city center wise, Stony Brook is close to twice as far from New York City as Frisco is from Dallas. Rounding it off it's 29 miles vs. 55.
But since he's counting from DFW, I counted from the Queens airports, so you don't have to worry about Manhattan traffic.

BDKJMU
January 17th, 2010, 09:57 PM

According to Hotels.com:
-in Frisco, within about 4 ½ miles from Pizza Hut Park, are 10 hotels.
-are about another 30 with Plano addresses, right next to Frisco, listed from about 4 ½ miles to 10 miles from Pizza Hut Park.
-are about 140 hotels within about 15 miles of Pizza Hut Park.

So, yeah, uh, I don't think hotels will be a problem.

Pards Rule
January 18th, 2010, 09:40 AM
So when is this Frisco, TX hosting NC supposed to start??

GOKATS
January 18th, 2010, 10:42 AM
So when is this Frisco, TX hosting NC supposed to start??

Next year.

henfan
January 18th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure how the NCAA could have made a decision when the two sports committees have yet to make their final presentations. That won't happen until late Feb. and a final decision isn't expected until March 1 or 2.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_166592.asp

89Hen
January 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM
With both teams having to fly that then would make everything equal ! Now that is a novel idea! I vote Frisco!
So would be having it Tokyo. xcoolx

MplsBison
January 18th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure how the NCAA could have made a decision when the two sports committees have yet to make their final presentations. That won't happen until late Feb. and a final decision isn't expected until March 1 or 2.

The Cotton Bowl thing is pretty desperate.

The NCAA won't consider that as a reason to keep the game from Frisco and they shouldn't. It's a red herring.

FargoBison
January 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM
This shouldn't sound too promising for Chatty supporters...

Chattanooga officials had been advised that if there was one more miscue "there was no need for us to make another bid."

chrisattsu
January 18th, 2010, 01:49 PM
The Cotton Bowl thing is pretty desperate.

The NCAA won't consider that as a reason to keep the game from Frisco and they shouldn't. It's a red herring.

I know Jerry Jones is trying to make the Cotton Bowl into the next BCS bowl, but until that time, why would you move the CB from its historic Jan 1 date?

19Duke97
January 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Doc

Depends on traffic, that can be a 2 hour drive on a bad day. And before you ask, yes I have done it several hundred times. Could b 25 mins, could be 125 mins, just depends...

ChopperTN
January 18th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I know Jerry Jones is trying to make the Cotton Bowl into the next BCS bowl, but until that time, why would you move the CB from its historic Jan 1 date?

From what I understand it was moved to coincide with the date of the first Cotton Bowl since the next one is the 75th anniversary. It is also supposed to be played at night next year also, from what I have been reading.

WWII
January 18th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Depends on traffic, that can be a 2 hour drive on a bad day. And before you ask, yes I have done it several hundred times. Could b 25 mins, could be 125 mins, just depends...

I haven't seen it take 2 hours, since 121 has been finished past Plano, but I've only made the trip 20-25 times.

chrisattsu
January 18th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I haven't seen it take 2 hours, since 121 has been finished past Plano, but I've only made the trip 20-25 times.

Exactly, and 121 dumps out right at PHP and Frisco

Jackman
January 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM

"Scott Smith, executive director of the Chattanooga Sports Committee, said a local delegation will make a pitch in Indianapolis on Feb. 25 to keep the Division I-A championship football game at Finley Stadium."

Bravo, local Chattanooga media. Three different ways you could have written that sentence correctly, and you still found a way to do it wrong. This game sure has established itself in the local consciousness...

TexasTerror
February 11th, 2010, 09:10 AM
CSN's featured article is in regards to the national championship game...

The Division I Football Championship Could Have A New Home (http://collegesportingnews.com/content.php?171-The-Division-I-Football-Championship-Could-Have-A-New-Home)

Have there been any new efforts by Frisco, Chattanooga since AGS was down, besides this effort by Frisco - http://www.collegefootballfrisco.com/

JDC325
February 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Good.

It better be two teams within driving distance if not it will not break 10K. Having it is a place where the majority of FCS teams could attend with little expense makes the most sense. What are the chances to teams with in driving distance make the game? Since Montana, all SoCon and CAA teams are not within normal driving distance it is pretty much zero.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 10:43 AM
It better be two teams within driving distance if not it will not break 10K. Having it is a place where the majority of FCS teams could attend with little expense makes the most sense. What are the chances to teams with in driving distance make the game? Since Montana, all SoCon and CAA teams are not within normal driving distance it is pretty much zero.

JDC,

Why do you say it will not break 10k?

Chattanooga could not even place 10k of their local fans in there, just recently passing that threshold this past year with the game at risk of being lost.

Frisco is working on an effort and I am sure they will succeed - in showing that there is plenty of fan, local support for the game. This will go a long way - in addition to the longer time, easier by flight travel accessibility - of having more fans attend the game.

JDC325
February 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM
JDC,

Why do you say it will not break 10k?

Chattanooga could not even place 10k of their local fans in there, just recently passing that threshold this past year with the game at risk of being lost.

Frisco is working on an effort and I am sure they will succeed - in showing that there is plenty of fan, local support for the game. This will go a long way - in addition to the longer time, easier by flight travel accessibility - of having more fans attend the game.

Location. Look at a map where most competitive FCS teams reside. A lot closer to Chatt than Frisco. Who in the world in Frisco is coming up with this supposed local fan interest? That is just an unsupported assertion at best. Maybe for one year due to novelty and newness but local interest will not be any better than it was in Chatt in the long run.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Location. Look at a map where most competitive FCS teams reside. A lot closer to Chatt than Frisco.

Does location really matter?

The teams with the biggest fanbases will travel. Even in Chatty - the only fan bases that travel en masse have been Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and to a lesser extent - Richmond. Did you see how well 'Nova traveled this year? Can you really rely on the two SoCon schools to make it every year? Of course NOT.

The fans are not coming as is. May as well stage it somewhere in which fans locally will support the game. The SLC is working on selling that PHP out yearly.

It is also easier to fly into Frisco (through DFW or Love Field) thanks to much better connections than lowly Chatty airport.

If Chatty supported the game - I'd say keep it there. If teams annually traveled en masse to Chatty, I'd say keep it there. Time to give someone else a chance.

The SLC, Frisco have a much better package to offer.

JDC325
February 12th, 2010, 10:56 AM

The teams with the biggest fanbases will travel. Even in Chatty - the only fan bases that travel en masse have been Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and to a lesser extent - Richmond. Did you see how well 'Nova traveled this year? Can you really rely on the two SoCon schools to make it every year? Of course NOT.

The fans are not coming as is. May as well stage it somewhere in which fans locally will support the game. The SLC is working on selling that PHP out yearly.

It is also easier to fly into Frisco (through DFW or Love Field) thanks to much better connections than lowly Chatty airport.

If Chatty supported the game - I'd say keep it there. If teams annually traveled en masse to Chatty, I'd say keep it there. Time to give someone else a chance.

That somewhere is a better destination city not a lateral move to Frisco TX. What does the SLC have to do with it? There fans are not going to come out and see to East Coast teams and or Montanna win the NC game....xnonono2x You have ZERO proof that after the novelty wears off the "locals" will support the game. If it does move to Frisco I have a good feeling it will be moved again within five years.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
That somewhere is a better destination city not a lateral move to Frisco TX. What does the SLC have to do with it? There fans are not going to come out and see to East Coast teams and or Montanna win the NC game....xnonono2x

Are you sure that fans won't come out in Frisco?

I'll be curious to see how the online pledge drive went. If there are more than 25-30k commitments, you can forget it about Chattanooga.

Frisco/SLC also has more local business, organization support than Chattanooga has or ever will. Some of the things have been leaking out on the forums - namely the Southwest package...

AppIAA
February 12th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Did you see how well 'Nova traveled this year?

Sadly, that was a good amount for 'Nova -- even if the game was at 'Nova, they wouldn't have much more than they had in Chattanooga.

Traveling definitely does matter.. Outside of the CAA, SoCon, and Montana, in recent years, it has been very hard for teams to make it to the game. Can you rely on that every year? Probably not. But it has been occurring more often than not recently, so that has to go into the decision

JDC325
February 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Are you sure that fans won't come out in Frisco?

I'll be curious to see how the online pledge drive went. If there are more than 25-30k commitments, you can forget it about Chattanooga.

Frisco/SLC also has more local business, organization support than Chattanooga has or ever will. Some of the things have been leaking out on the forums - namely the Southwest package...

Read the entire post and quit chopping it up. I SAID once the novelty wears off.

GannonFan
February 12th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Delaware didn't do a bad job of getting fans down there in they're two years of going - 5k plus isn't anything to sniff at.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Read the entire post and quit chopping it up. I SAID once the novelty wears off.

You edited it after I 'quoted' you... xnonox

JDC325
Sadly, that was a good amount for 'Nova -- even if the game was at 'Nova, they wouldn't have much more than they had in Chattanooga.

Traveling definitely does matter.. Outside of the CAA, SoCon, and Montana, in recent years, it has been very hard for teams to make it to the game. Can you rely on that every year? Probably not. But it has been occurring more often than not recently, so that has to go into the decision

Context. Nova is a very small school, turn out would have seemed low even it were at their stadium, if it were in Frisco the turn out would have been less.

GannonFan

True dat - heck, the national title game could've been at nova and it wouldn't sell out even with nova in it. Just the way it is.

SideLine Shooter
February 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Delaware didn't do a bad job of getting fans down there in they're two years of going - 5k plus isn't anything to sniff at.

UD had a great showing and so did UNI.

JDC325
February 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
You edited it after I 'quoted' you... xnonox

Hmmm easy to say since you did not quote the entire post. Why would you do that anyway other than to cherry pick statements that are out of context without the rest of the post.

Does not matter the point is still valid. Looking back it was a different post I did not edit anything.

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hmmm easy to say since you did not quote the entire post. Why would you do that anyway other than to cherry pick statements that are out of context without the rest of the post.

Does not matter the point is still valid.

xliarx

Trust me, I'd have responded if you did not edit it.

Either way, the novelty has worn off of Chatty - 13 years is a long time. It's also home-hosted by an FCS school that will not make the game and is visited by the SoCon schools bi-annually.

It'd be nice to put at a neutral site, create a true fan experience, utilize some of the things that could be offered by SLC,Frisco...

AppIAA
February 12th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Context. Nova is a very small school, turn out would have seemed low even it were at their stadium, if it were in Frisco the turn out would have been less.

That was not intended as a bash at 'Nova at all.. just the way it is there

We have the opposite problem at App.. we can pack in everyone for football, but give us a basketball game, and we may have 2k there..

Sorry if you thought it was a knock on you -- was not the intention at all

Syntax Error
February 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
There have been 64 participants in the history of the D-I championship game. Many several times.

45 (70.3%) of the participants are from East of the Mississippi (17 teams), 19 (29.7%) West (11 teams).

Approx. 75% of the FCS is East of the Mississippi and only a few schools are more than one State away from the Mississippi in the West.

EAST
Appalachian St.
Appalachian St.
Appalachian St.
Colgate
Delaware
Delaware
Delaware
Eastern Ky.
Eastern Ky.
Eastern Ky.
Eastern Ky.
Florida A&M
Furman
Furman
Furman
Ga. Southern
Ga. Southern
Ga. Southern
Ga. Southern
Ga. Southern
Ga. Southern
Ga. Southern
Ga. Southern
James Madison
Lehigh
Marshall
Marshall
Marshall
Marshall
Marshall
Marshall
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Richmond
Southern Ill.
Villanova
Western Caro.
Western Ky.
Youngstown St.
Youngstown St.
Youngstown St.
Youngstown St.
Youngstown St.
Youngstown St.

WEST
Arkansas St.
Boise St.
Boise St.
Idaho St.
La.-Monroe
Louisiana Tech
McNeese St.
McNeese St.
Montana
Montana
Montana
Montana
Montana
Montana
Montana
Montana St.
Nevada
S. F. Austin
UNI

... Can you really rely on the two SoCon schools to make it every year? Of course NOT.Apparently yes, location does matter. And about 2/3 of the time a Socon school is in the championship game. xchinscratchx

Grizzaholic
February 12th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Apparently yes, location does matter. And about 2/3 of the time a Socon school is in the championship game. xchinscratchx

If location was such a big thing for the East Coast teams, why don't other schools show up for the FCS championship game? It is not all that far?

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM
If location was such a big thing for the East Coast teams, why don't other schools show up for the FCS championship game? It is not all that far?

No joke.

The schools nearby are not showing up unless it's ASU, GaSU. The Chattanoogans have only started showing up when their game was at risk of being taken away.

Grizzaholic
February 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM
No joke.

The schools nearby are not showing up unless it's ASU, GaSU. The Chattanoogans have only started showing up when their game was at risk of being taken away.

So what happens if, say, Villanova and ( insert team with less than stellar fan base ) make it to the championship game?

Do we see 4000 "fans" of the teams playing and a couple thousand local fans of football? Gonna look really nice on national TV for the FCS. No amount of cropped shots can undo the humility of seeing an empty stadium.

If Frisco is willing to support the game, and will have fans actually show up and root/cheer for whoever is in the game as well as fans from both teams it could be a great place.

xtwocentsx

GannonFan
February 12th, 2010, 02:04 PM
So what happens if, say, Villanova and ( insert team with less than stellar fan base ) make it to the championship game?

Do we see 4000 "fans" of the teams playing and a couple thousand local fans of football? Gonna look really nice on national TV for the FCS. No amount of cropped shots can undo the humility of seeing an empty stadium.

If Frisco is willing to support the game, and will have fans actually show up and root/cheer for whoever is in the game as well as fans from both teams it could be a great place.

xtwocentsx

In many ways that's what we have now. Outside of the 3 years with Appy being in the game, the game in Chatty has been played in front of many empty seats.

I'd rather see it where neither team gets a homefield advantage - moving it to Frisco, and assuming the Southland continues to rarely make the game, helps in that regard. There'll be empty seats in Frisco, but will it be much of a difference from the empty seats we see now in Chatty? Probably not.

McNeese75
February 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
In many ways that's what we have now. Outside of the 3 years with Appy being in the game, the game in Chatty has been played in front of many empty seats.

I'd rather see it where neither team gets a homefield advantage - moving it to Frisco, and assuming the Southland continues to rarely make the game, helps in that regard. There'll be empty seats in Frisco, but will it be much of a difference from the empty seats we see now in Chatty? Probably not.

Even if an SLC team makes it there is no more of a home field advantage for them in Frisco than there was for ASU, GSU, WKU in Chatty.

Syntax Error
February 12th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Even if an SLC team makes it there is no more of a home field advantage for them in Frisco than there was for ASU, GSU, WKU in Chatty.

I agree. There is no home field advantage now.