PDA

View Full Version : 126th Annual Yale-Harvard Thread

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Well, sports fans, The Game will be played only for pride this year. Sure, Harvard still has a faint shot at a tie for the Ivy title, but Cornell won't beat Penn to set it up. Heck, Terri Schiavo had a better shot at coming back to life than the Crimson title chances do.

I predict partly cloudy skies, game time temperature of about 48 degrees, and a "crowd" of maybe 45,000. What say ye, bulldog10jw and YaleFootballFan?

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
What say ye, bulldog10jw and YaleFootballFan?

Elitist. Just for that, I'll sat Yale by five.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Elitist. Just for that, I'll sat Yale by five.

Hey, who asked you to post here?xeyebrowx

:p

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM
40k will be on hand to see exactly how far the Yale defense has regressed since the Lehigh game.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Will Abare be back? That could provide the emotional spark needed for the first Yale home win in the series since '99.

Bogus Megapardus
November 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hey, who asked you to post here?xeyebrowx:p

That's it. Dem's fightin' words. You want your Tuesday Morning Sportsline or not?

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
That's it. Dem's fightin' words. You want your Tuesday Morning Sportsline or not?

LURKER!!!:D

Yes, please!:o

BloomHusky'01
November 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
40k will be on hand to see exactly how far the Yale defense has regressed since the Lehigh game.

I'm thinking about coming up from Pennsylvania for "The Game." Right now its still up in the air though. If its a last minute decision, should I have any worries about being able to buy tickets at the gate?

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I'm thinking about coming up from Pennsylvania for "The Game." Right now its still up in the air though. If its a last minute decision, should I have any worries about being able to buy tickets at the gate?

Absolutely not. You can probably score 40-yard line tix at the box office, if not better.

PhoenixSupreme
November 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I think I will watch the "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29" instant stream on Netflix in order to commemorate this game.

The score of the game will be:
Harvard--Harvard's endowment
Yale--Yale's endowment

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I think I will watch the "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29" instant stream on Netflix in order to commemorate this game.

The score of the game will be:
Harvard--Harvard's endowment
Yale--Yale's endowment

They don't allow scoreless ties anymore!:p

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Will Abare be back? That could provide the emotional spark needed for the first Yale home win in the series since '99.

I know that he wanted to return for this one game, but whether he can get medical clearance is the question. I'm sure he would have to wear some kind of cast.

I'll post if I hear anything, although they may keep it under wraps. Maybe they want to try and pull a Willis Reed scenario. :p

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Abare still waiting for medical release according to the NH Register blog.

http://portal31nhr.blogspot.com/

......or safety Larry Abare, who is holding out hope that he gets to take the field on Saturday one final time as a Bulldog assuming the Yale medical staff OKs his return after two broken bones in his right forearm forced him to miss the last three games.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
So will there be a "dirty trick" this year?xeyebrowx

PhoenixSupreme
November 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM
So will there be a "dirty trick" this year?xeyebrowx

*prays for another Harvard-Yale fan-logo switch*

BloomHusky'01
November 16th, 2009, 08:50 PM
*prays for another Harvard-Yale fan-logo switch*

Or an MIT prank.

ValleyChamp
November 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Has there really been 126 harvard-yale threads? I wonder how slow the internet was 126 years ago.

Sader87
November 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Both schools are havens for those damn, dirty commies and damn, dirty hippies. I hope they both lose Saturday.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Both schools are havens for those damn, dirty commies and damn, dirty hippies. I hope they both lose Saturday.

Don't worry, Sader. Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter will have 50-yard-line seats on the Yale side!;)

ngineer
November 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM

You had a defense at Goodman? I thought we didn't have an offense!:p

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM
You had a defense at Goodman? I thought we didn't have an offense!:p

It's all perspective, isn't it. ;)

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Can't believe i won't be able to watch the game. Damn Directv and Versus

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2009-10/releases/20091116q31zj7

The 126th edition of The Game can be seen live on Versus and heard on WELI (AM-960, 960weli.com), WYBC (AM-1340, wybc.com) and on Sirius Satellite Radio. Carm Cozza and Ron Vaccaro '04 begin the commentary on WELI at 11:45 a.m. A video stream that includes their call will be available on yalebulldogs.com within an hour of the final whistle.

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Can't believe i won't be able to watch the game. Damn Directv and Versus

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2009-10/releases/20091116q31zj7

The 126th edition of The Game can be seen live on Versus and heard on WELI (AM-960, 960weli.com), WYBC (AM-1340, wybc.com) and on Sirius Satellite Radio. Carm Cozza and Ron Vaccaro '04 begin the commentary on WELI at 11:45 a.m. A video stream that includes their call will be available on yalebulldogs.com within an hour of the final whistle.

There will absolutely be a high-quality live stream available. I know this for a fact.

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Abare cleared to play

Senior safety Larry Abare has been medically cleared to play. I was at the last hour of this morning's practice and did not see Abare. He is being fitted for a cast that will protect the two broken bones in his right forearm but give himself range of motion to be able to play

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Abare cleared to play

Senior safety Larry Abare has been medically cleared to play. I was at the last hour of this morning's practice and did not see Abare. He is being fitted for a cast that will protect the two broken bones in his right forearm but give himself range of motion to be able to play

So "Willis" Abare will take the field! :D

Bogus Megapardus
November 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Abare cleared to play

I suppose he can't make it much worse if he plays, can he? If Abare gets to play, it's a game he'll never forget. It's worth it!

Good luck to everyone participating in The Game. I went to a bunch of them as a kid (Dad played at Public Latin, then at Exeter, then at . . . well, I'm not taking sides ;))

bostonspider
November 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I went two years ago to The Game in New Haven. It was a blast, even if Harvard crushed the Eli's. There were supposedly over 100K tailgating that day. It was great to see the Bowl filled..

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v155/97/11/506630757/n506630757_203632_1975.jpg

LBPop
November 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I was truly amazed. Now I know (as do we all) that the absolute best and brightest come from Harvard and Yale, but if this is the 126th Annual Yale-Harvard thread, that would mean that those kids were on the internet in the 19th Century. Now that's impressive!xbowx

xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

bulldog10jw
November 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I notice they don't say tickets SOLD

At last report, more than 40,000 tickets have been distributed for Saturday's game and all the parking passes have been given out. With decent weather predicted, it will be interesting to see the final turnout.

bulldog10jw
November 18th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Carm Cozza interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKqy_-n9Jkk

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I notice they don't say tickets SOLD

At last report, more than 40,000 tickets have been distributed for Saturday's game and all the parking passes have been given out. With decent weather predicted, it will be interesting to see the final turnout.

I'll be shocked if more than 45K actually show up. I'm still stunned that The Game didn't break 60K in '07, when both teams were undefeated in the League going in.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Well I see this attributed to lots of people, but I am going to give Grantland Rice credit and say that, "you are all a bunch of damned yankees and I hope you both lose". :D

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 07:29 AM
As of Thursday morning the line has moved from Harvard by 7 to Harvard by 8˝. What say ye, Eli?

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2009, 07:41 AM
As of Thursday morning the line has moved from Harvard by 7 to Harvard by 8˝. What say ye, Eli?

I'm surprised the line isn't 10

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I'm surprised the line isn't 10

If that ends up being the spread, I'd take Yale plus the points. I expect a close game: Yale will want to snap its 10-year drought at the Bowl in The Game, while Harvard will be down after last week's loss to the Quackers.

Bogus Megapardus
November 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
If this game actually is tied at 29 at the end of regulation this year, does it go to overtime?

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM
If this game actually is tied at 29 at the end of regulation this year, does it go to overtime?

Heck, just freeze-frame it for auld lang syne as a 1968 flashback!:p

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Tom Williams interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJl5gcT0uDM&feature=player_embedded

Go...gate
November 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Ought to be a fun game, but 8 1/2? I think it will be decided by no more than 3-6 points.

YaleFootballFan
November 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I'll be shocked if more than 45K actually show up. I'm still stunned that The Game didn't break 60K in '07, when both teams were undefeated in the League going in.

Technically it did. Yale officials estimated there were 55,000 inside the Bowl and another 40,000 outside tailgating.

Parking, folks, will be a nightmare on Saturday. Hope you all have parking passes!

YaleFootballFan
November 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Tickets to the game should be the least of your worries.

Parking around the Bowl is completely sold out. Don't even bother driving to the Bowl because you'll be turned away. There are, however, free shuttle bus service from Downtown New Haven to the Bowl.

Shuttle System Set For Saturday's Yale-Harvard Game (http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2009-10/releases/20091118k57kaj)

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Tom Williams interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJl5gcT0uDM&feature=player_embedded

I'm thinking that we might have another '05-style OT game on our hands this year.:)

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I'm thinking that we might have another '05-style OT game on our hands this year.:)

I'm hoping for competitive. It would be a nice change.

Head Cat
November 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Not sure I'd be expecting a competitive game. I think Harvard drills Yale and puts an end to a miserable season.

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Not sure I'd be expecting a competitive game. I think Harvard drills Yale and puts an end to a miserable season.

I said hoping.....not expecting. xrulesx

Bogus Megapardus
November 20th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I said hoping.....not expecting. xrulesx

Hope springs eternal. But unless hope springs its under-performing backfield, it's going to be an unpleasant afternoon in West Haven for the Eli.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Parking around the Bowl is completely sold out. Don't even bother driving to the Bowl because you'll be turned away. There are, however, free shuttle bus service from Downtown New Haven to the Bowl.

No parking left for a crowd of 40,000? So how did they manage in the good old days when 75,000 showed up?

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2009, 08:29 AM
No parking left for a crowd of 40,000? So how did they manage in the good old days when 75,000 showed up?

That's 40,000 that actually go for the game. There are another 40,000 that just go for the party and never even think about attending the game.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2009, 09:37 AM
That's 40,000 that actually go for the game. There are another 40,000 that just go for the party and never even think about attending the game.

If you divide those numbers by 10, you get Colgate!:p

YaleFootballFan
November 20th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Back then there was enough parking. The fields that once was used for parking became the new indoor tennis center, the Pilot Pen Tennis Stadium, the softball stadium, the lacrosse field, etc.

There are only 4,000 parking spots around Yale Bowl. The Cornell game this year drew 18,000 and the lots were full. Can you image how it will be with 50,000 for the Harvard game? Two years ago it was a complete nightmare.

Harvard Worship
November 21st, 2009, 03:02 AM

God that game was great. Tense, but who doesn't like getting another quarter of free football? Esp. when you have to wait 9 months before the season starts again. Why is it that the best things in life it seems you have to wait 9 months for? Some sort of cosmic law, I guess.

Go Crimson!

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM
God that game was great. Tense, but who doesn't like getting another quarter of free football? Esp. when you have to wait 9 months before the season starts again. Why is it that the best things in life it seems you have to wait 9 months for? Some sort of cosmic law, I guess.

Go Crimson!

Is a Harvard Worship Jr. incubating somewhere?xsmiley_wix

bulldog10jw
November 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
From the NH Register. I wonder if this is the program cover.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
What a comeback by Harvard! Down 10-0 after 3 quarters and looking lethargic on offense, Harvard gets two TD passes from Winters (to Luft and Lorditch) in the last 7 minutes to pull out a 14-10 win. The Yalies will probably be second-guessing that fake punt for years!

bulldog10jw
November 21st, 2009, 02:49 PM
What a comeback by Harvard! Down 10-0 after 3 quarters and looking lethargic on offense, Harvard gets two TD passes from Winters (to Luft and Lorditch) in the last 7 minutes to pull out a 14-10 win. The Yalies will probably be second-guessing that fake punt for years!

While the fake punt was dumb, I had a feeling Yale was going to fold as soon as Harvard converted the 4th and 4 in their own territory on their first touchdown drive.

YaleFootballFan
November 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM
While the fake punt was dumb, I had a feeling Yale was going to fold as soon as Harvard converted the 4th and 4 in their own territory on their first touchdown drive.

Me too. I said right then and there that 4th down conversion is going to be the play of game.....and it was.

52,692 in attendance at the Bowl today.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Me too. I said right then and there that 4th down conversion is going to be the play of game.....and it was.

52,692 in attendance at the Bowl today.

Surprisingly large crowd, given how little was at stake standings-wise. But it was perfect weather-wise, and it is The Game, so what the hey?

TSUalum05
November 21st, 2009, 04:38 PM
The 4 and 22 fake punt deep in your own territory was easily one of the most daring, dumbest play calls of the year. I was shocked when I seen the play.

art vandelay
November 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
anyone have pics of the game/ crowd. post them if you do they would be cool to see.

YaleFootballFan
November 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
For those that missed it, here's the Yale Band's halftime show from The Game:

Yale Precision Marching Band Halftime Show (http://www.youtube.com/user/ypmbgodparents#p/a/u/1/pF3s9aNNp8w)

DJOM
November 22nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
THE GAME was covered by the Chicago Tribune on page 3 of the sports section. Very nice.
I don't understand the fake punt. 4th and 25? I was not there and would never send guess a Coach; however, if it worked--he's a genius---but so am I if I bet my last $50K on black and it hits---if you get the analogy.

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/11/22/sports/22-solomon.txt

“Well, let me go ahead and address the question I’m going to be asked about on fourth down ... the fake attempt,” said Williams following a 14-10 Harvard victory that fits neatly into the historical oddities that have marked the 126 years of a wonderful college football rivalry. “We were playing to win the football game and we had done it all day. We set that play up all year and we thought it was worth 22 yards (but) we came up (seven yards) short. The whole idea was to keep our foot on the pedal, not play scared, and if anybody’s looking for somebody to blame,
blame this guy right here.”

Er, coach, the play was successful. It gained 15 yards. Yale didn’t merely need a successful play, it needed a miracle play, one that might well be remembered as the greatest gamble in the history of The Game.

Ivytalk
November 22nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Congratulations to Yale for a well-played Game! The Bulldogs outplayed us all day, and we got lucky at the end.xpeacex

bulldog10jw
November 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Congratulations to Yale for a well-played Game! The Bulldogs outplayed us all day, and we got lucky at the end.xpeacex

Thanks, Ivytalk, you are always classy, but Harvard deserved the win. In spite of the questionable call by Yale's coach the fact is Harvard made their 4th down and Yale did not.

But watch out for us next year. xthumbsupx