PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog's thoughts on Heritage Bowl

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 16th, 2009, 08:00 AM
S.C. State getting ready for playoffs
By Thomas Grant Jr., T&D Senior Sports Writer Monday, November 16, 2009
Leave a Comment | Default | Large

All the talk about individual and team records and repeating as conference champions was secondary to the South Carolina State football team Saturday.

To a man and head coach Oliver ‘Buddy’ Pough, earning a second straight trip to the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs following the 37-13 win over Morgan State at Oliver C. Dawson Stadium took higher precedence. Unlike last season, the team’s first appearance since 1982, there was no satisfying talk about making the field of 16.

Instead, it was all about doing what Florida A&M was the last Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference team to accomplish 10 years ago and what the Rattlers achieved 21 years prior to that - advance and claim a national championship.

“We’re more about team wins and trying to get into the playoffs and trying to make something happen in the playoffs than we are about those records,” Pough said.

“My main goal this year is to lead the team to a national championship,” quarterback Malcolm Long said. “Hopefully, you’ll be in Chattanooga (Tennessee, the site of the FCS title game) interviewing me.”

MORE: http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2009/11/16/bulldogzone/doc4b00cf30cb74a750143280.txt

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Glad that my dog's are all against the Heritage Bowl. The MEAC/SWAC is good and fun but there is no way it can compare to the Playoff atmosphere. I know the money is the biggest issue but if the players aren't happy with a Heritage Bowl that should make the difference. Isn't postseason more about the players than the University.

Rekdiver
November 16th, 2009, 08:15 AM
SCSU is a very good team and reminds me of the Rattler team that came into Boone some years ago and took us to the house........The team has gotten no respect nationally outside ofthe poll. I like your team..........and your band.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
"If App. St. can do it, we can too." -WestcoastAggie

Pitbull
November 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I think the move to the Heritage Bowl is defeatist mentality...I hope we leave the conference if they forgo the playoffs......Why not just let the runner up play in the Heritage Bowl and the MEAC Champ can still rep in the FCS playoffs.....? We could have the best of both worlds...Our commissioner has to be the dumbest guy in the universe.......xmadxxnonono2x

kdinva
November 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Stay the course, post season national playoffs should stay #1 priority.

bosshogg
November 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
the article above hits the nail on the head!!! our athletics director is a joke....

SU Jag
November 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Sc state and any meac conference winner deserves to be in the playoffs. Bottom line! I don't understand why the commish is pushing for anything otherwise.

bosshogg
November 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Sc state and any meac conference winner deserves to be in the playoffs. Bottom line! I don't understand why the commish is pushing for anything otherwise.

because he is an idiot....

GrizNzonecrazy
November 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM

It’s no secret most FCS programs lose money competing in the football playoffs. Schools like Villanova, Richmond and Montana can absorb the loss because they have successful major Division I men’s basketball programs who serve as the breadwinner for their respective athletics programs.

Ha ha now that alone shows that Mr Thomas Grant Jr is rather lacking on his knowledge of FCS football. Montana makes a killing in the playoffs as we sell 26,000 tickets and sell out every home game. Not sure about this vaunted b-ball program at MT......guess he knows something i dont....and the football program IS THE CHECKBOOK for the entire athletic department at UM.....mens and womens

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Ha ha now that alone shows that Mr Thomas Grant Jr is rather lacking on his knowledge of FCS football. Montana makes a killing in the playoffs as we sell 26,000 tickets and sell out every home game. Not sure about this vaunted b-ball program at MT......guess he knows something i dont....and the football program IS THE CHECKBOOK for the entire athletic department at UM.....mens and womens

Can you or other Montana fans/boosters explain how you all make money under the current Regular Season and Playoff format?

GrizNzonecrazy
November 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Can you or other Montana fans/boosters explain how you all make money under the current Regular Season and Playoff format?

By the current format are you referring to the reduced ticket prices in the playoffs ($25 per ticket in postseason as opposed to $35-55 per seat in regular season) and the higher percentage of the ticket sales that must go directly to the ncaa?

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
By the current format are you referring to the reduced ticket prices in the playoffs ($25 per ticket in postseason as opposed to $35-55 per seat in regular season) and the higher percentage of the ticket sales that must go directly to the ncaa?

Does Montana see any of that money returned to them?

GrizNzonecrazy
November 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Does Montana see any of that money returned to them?

Any of the postseason ticket sales?

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Any of the postseason ticket sales?

Yes. Does Montana see any percentage of the post season ticket sales?

GrizNzonecrazy
November 16th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Yes. Does Montana see any percentage of the post season ticket sales?

I've been looking for an NCAA link to state the exact split of postseason revenues but have been unsuccessful to this point. I believe though, that the NCAA is guaranteed the amount of a teams bid for each game. For example, if Montana submits a $75,000 bid for a 1st round game and are awarded the home game, we would sell 25,000 tickets at $25 each for a total of $625,000 in ticket revenue. As i understand it, the $75,000 would come off the top and go directly to the NCAA and the remaining $550,000 would be split between the University and the NCAA (though the exact percentages of the split i do not know).

OL FU
November 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM

My guess is he doesn't want to push for and sign up an HBCU championship game and then send the second place team. xeyebrowx

How many of the MEAC schools would balk. I imagine it takes a vote of the schools. SC State I would imagine. How about Hampton and FAMU?

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
My guess is he doesn't want to push for and sign up an HBCU championship game and then send the second place team. xeyebrowx

How many of the MEAC schools would balk. I imagine it takes a vote of the schools. SC State I would imagine. How about Hampton and FAMU?

Hampton - NO
FAMU - Yup!

OL FU
November 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hampton - NO
FAMU - Yup!

Any others, Del State?

Sounds like either Hampton and FAMU will get drug in kicking and screaming or will have to find another conference if this keeps going?

DSUrocks07
November 16th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Any others, Del State?

Sounds like either Hampton and FAMU will get drug in kicking and screaming or will have to find another conference if this keeps going?

*raises hand*

under Sessoms, definitely yes. However, we're currently in transition to a new administration and it will be THEIR commitment to athletics that will decide this question. Our fanbase (all six of them...xwhistlex) want the playoffs, we want a shot at a national championship. xthumbsupx

NSUSPARTAN
November 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM
The word is MEAC coaches voted for the Heritage Bowl, including Coach Pugh. Only Delaware State and Norfolk State voted against it.

SU Jag
November 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM
The word is MEAC coaches voted for the Heritage Bowl, including Coach Pugh. Only Delaware State and Norfolk State voted against it.

I read this also. Whats gives?xconfusedx I though Coach Pugh was pro-playoffs. With the commish pushing so hard for this, he is getting the go ahead talk from somewhere.

Big Dawg
November 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Guess it's time for us to raise some hell

SU Jag
November 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Guess it's time for us to raise some hell

Before yall go kick some arse, I read in an article on onnidan that the majority of the players liked the idea of the Heritage Bowl over the playoffs too! So this may be a case where the coaches are backing the players. I got a 'lil brother" type of cousin playing ball at Hampton and he said their team is all about the Heritage Bowl idea.

iceman4221
November 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM
xeekx xnonono2x I am just flabbergasted at this entire discussion about the re-emergence of the Heritage Bowl and a probable relinquishing of the AQ...xnonono2x xeekx

SU Jag
November 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM
xeekx xnonono2x I am just flabbergasted at this entire discussion about the re-emergence of the Heritage Bowl and a probable relinquishing of the AQ...xnonono2x xeekx

You and I both ice!xeekx

blackcaesar3k5
November 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
How about particpating in both playoffs and HB??? HBCU"S definitely need money and could benefit from national attention as well..

BulldogWillie
November 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
We've been through this before. McDonald's was the big sponsor for the Heritage Bowl for a couple of years then pulled out. The,locally owned Jim Walter Homes was the sponsor for the Heritage Bowl and backed out. Why should Dennis Thomas put the MEAC through this same crap again?

I think the football players are better off playing in the FCS playoffs. The Heritage Bowl flopped and should NEVER be played again.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Before yall go kick some arse, I read in an article on onnidan that the majority of the players liked the idea of the Heritage Bowl over the playoffs too! So this may be a case where the coaches are backing the players. I got a 'lil brother" type of cousin playing ball at Hampton and he said their team is all about the Heritage Bowl idea.

A&T Players AREN'T FOR THIS!

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
First of all, we are in an integrated society, including colleges and universities.

Secondly, black players have the choice to attend any school that offers em a scholarship (STEP IT UP IN THE RECRUITING GAME!)

Thirdly, not every alumni at a PWC gives back just like at HBCU. Heck the national average is 11 percent. NCCU, according to the Raleigh News and Observer, 10 percent of their alumni are giving back.

Fourth, PEOPLE ARE MORE WILLING TO GIVE TO PROVEN WINNERS! I guarantee you that if SCSU wins the National Title, their alumni giving will go up and more students will apply to the school.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I wish the MEAC's message board was still up and running as I would love to read the comments.

"The moment they vote for the Heritage Bowl is the day we apply for a new conference!"

"Our administration would NEVER go for this!"

The question I ask is do some who claim to know really and truly has a clue of what goes on behind closed doors at their universities?

Big Dawg
November 17th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I wish the MEAC's message board was still up and running as I would love to read the comments.

"The moment they vote for the Heritage Bowl is the day we apply for a new conference!"

The question I ask is do some who claim to know really and truly know what goes on behind closed doors at our universities?

There is a new MEAC board...alot of kats over there really do know people and have connections.

bosshogg
November 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM

The question I ask is do some who claim to know really and truly has a clue of what goes on behind closed doors at their universities?

http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/index.cgi

Pitbull
November 17th, 2009, 07:17 AM

That's not what I heard but...xnonono2x

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I have not spoken specifficaly about the HB with BP but be assured I will. Due to this fact I cannot be assured he voted for it but I know the overall feeling is like Hamilton stated we want a National Championship not a HBCU championship. We have spoken on many occassions about the need for diversity on the Football team and ways to possibly work on it and this would lead me to believe the HBCU championship should be far from his #1 goal.

Our team goal is to compete in the playoff's not just show up, and we are working hard towars this goal not to compete in an HBCU Championship but the FCS Playoff's.

bosshogg
November 17th, 2009, 07:48 AM
That's not what I heard but...xnonono2x

I highly doubt Buddy Pough voted for it....

But I wouldnt be surprised to see our AD vote for it. She is a pawn in Dennis Thomas stupid game.

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM
No way our AD would vote for that she is realy behind BP and the Football team.

ejjones
November 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I can't speak for who voted, however, this would be a travesty on all levels if this actually happened. Why would a conference continue to sell themselves short by playing for a HBCU championship for the spirit of $$?

When conferences are fighting to get an automatic bid, we're volunteering to leave? When the NCAA voted to expand the playoffs to 20 teams and create equal opportunity, the MEAC wants to voluntarily leave?

Sounds to me we need more proficient folks managing the budget and fundraising efforts. Just recently most FCS schools are afforded big pay day opportunities against FBS opponents. What are we doing with that additional funding?

If I could sum this whole idea up in one word, it would be ludicrous. The individual who thought of this idea should be fired immediately!

If I wasn't typing on my phone I could talk for days on how stupid this would be and how it would adversely affect recruiting, quality of players, attendance, & borderline violating human rights, and close to instituting segregation.

bosshogg
November 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
No way our AD would vote for that she is realy behind BP and the Football team.

LOL! Talk to coach Pough and his staff, then come back here and tell us how much our AD is behind the team.xnonox

Panther88
November 18th, 2009, 09:41 AM

It's fairly amusing watching the internet banter though 3rd Coast Tig. Like they speak for their actual "voting heads" or "powerbrokers" and actually have a say in the matter(s). xlolx

jstate83
November 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I read this also. Whats gives?xconfusedx I though Coach Pugh was pro-playoffs. With the commish pushing so hard for this, he is getting the go ahead talk from somewhere.

I said this many times on the MEAC page.

jstate83
November 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM

With all the talk their Commish been doing the last 3 years, we tried to tell them this is where they were heading cause as members of the SWAC, we already saw this play out.
If they do this, in 3 years all the team's that are for the playoffs will be kicking rocks just like JSU, Alcorn, Valley, etc., had to do in the SWAC because those playoff call's will get less and less.

If the MEAC get's a conference championship game like he been talking about also, the playoff's for the MEAC are history.
End of story.

MEACFANZONE (http://meacfanszone.proboards.com/)

WestCoastAggie
November 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
But riddle me this: why would the MEAC and SWAC do this when there are other conferences in the FCS not considering this? Why take ourselves away from the party?

jstate83
November 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
But riddle me this: why would the MEAC and SWAC do this when there are other conferences in the FCS not considering this? Why take ourselves away from the party?

I stopped asking this in 1999.
I have got to the point now that since the playoff's have been zipped for us and the Commish recently said flat out NO to adjusting the SWAC scheduling, moving games on Thanksgiving weekend, and the Championship game to accomidated the playoffs, I just started going with the flow.
The only way Conference Championship games and Playoff's will work in FCS is if the playoff's are moved down to at least the 1st week of December and school's cut a week from their schedules to be finished the last week of November with everything.

Right now.
My hat is in the ring to move our game with Alcorn on Saturday back down to Thanksgiving day like it was before 1980.
What is the point of rushing to play this game when we are not in playoff running.
May as well put as many people in Memorial as possable and Thanksgiving Day would be a financial windfall with people in Jackson visiting and Black Friday being the next day.

WestCoastAggie
November 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I stopped asking this in 1999.
I have got to the point now that since the playoff's have been zipped for us and the Commish recently said flat out NO to adjusting the SWAC scheduling, moving games on Thanksgiving weekend, and the Championship game to accomidated the playoffs, I just started going with the flow.
The only way Championship games will work in FCS is if the playoff's are moved down to at least the 1st week of December and school's cut a week from their schedules to be finished the last week of November with everything.

Right now.
My hat is in the ring to move our game with Alcorn on Saturday back down to Thanksgiving day like it was before 1980.
What is the point of rushing to play this game when we are not in playoff running.
May as well put as many people in Memorial as possable and Thanksgiving Day would be a financial windfall with people in Jackson visiting and Black Friday being the next day.

Well I guess it's time to pass the torch to this young guy. xsmiley_wix

But seriously, being on websites like this has kinda opened my eyes. There are schools that can profit off of the Playoff Success and just because we haven't had it in a decade doesn't me we (MEAC) can't experience it now starting with SCSU.

We have all these other conferences that want to play in the playoffs yet we are leaving. This one of those few cases that I think being an HBCU is a negative right now.xsmhx

bluedog
November 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM
You guys kill me with this whining about the same crap year in and year out. The answers and the reason hasn't changed and won't change unless the Mafia...I mean NCAA changes.

There are several other conferences that don't participate in this racket either but one part can't help but have this propensity to always worry about what the HBCU's are doing and the other part begging to jump in dept with all the other fishes.

Thank God none of you run an athletic program

http://www.championshipsubdivisionne...nship-w?blog=5

BIDDING FOR THE PLAYOFF GAMES

Beginning in late October, Championship information and forms are mailed from NCAA national office to prospective championship participants. The deadline for submitting the completed package is two weeks later.

Most crucial for teams that want to host games is the proposed budget because once the four seeded teams are selected, the host site selection criteria is examined.

With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal host sites, the committee considers the minimum financial guarantees, 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:

First round $30,000
Quarterfinal $40,000
Semifinal $50,000

Then if the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top four seeded teams.

Once the game is played, the guarantee is paid to the NCAA from the gross receipts (minus the schools budgeted and unbudgeted expenses) along with 75% of the remainder. The NCAA uses the capital to pay for running the championship, travel, etc.

A financial report from each championship site must be submitted online to the NCAA not later than 60 days after the competition.

When determining host sites for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, the committee decides the location based on quality of facility, revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, attendance history and potential, team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), student-athlete well-being (travel, missed class time, etc.), and previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution.

If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not bid on by the schools involved, the committee will contact the schools and give them the chance to submit a bid. If neither is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship site selection criteria in NCAA Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.

WestCoastAggie
November 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Well all FCS conferences except the IVY and the SWAC participate in the "racket" ran by the mafia.

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 18th, 2009, 01:05 PM
We have been playing the MEAC SWAC Cahllenge for how many years now? 5 How many games has the SWAC won 1 or two? The MEAC has been dominating the game and with very low attendance this year one would think the money would go to bolster the MEAC SWAC Challenge.

bluedog
November 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
We have been playing the MEAC SWAC Cahllenge for how many years now? 5 How many games has the SWAC won 1 or two? The MEAC has been dominating the game and with very low attendance this year one would think the money would go to bolster the MEAC SWAC Challenge.

The MEAC/SWAC Challenge is sponsor by and a brainchild of ESPN. What does that have to do with the HERITAGE BOWL?

What does dominting it has to do with anything? The SWAC dominated the Heritage Bowl so what's your point?

bluedog
November 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Well all FCS conferences except the IVY and the SWAC participate in the "racket" ran by the mafia.

And there's people that think Sarah Palin is a genius, so your point is?

WestCoastAggie
November 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
And there's people that think Sarah Palin is a genius, so your point is?

All but two conferences are participating in the playoffs. Why are we segregating ourselves? This isn't being progressive; it's just going backwards.

SU Jag
November 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
All but two conferences are participating in the playoffs. Why are we segregating ourselves? This isn't being progressive; it's just going backwards.

I can understand the argument that a lot of MEAC fans have(myself included). I hate to see the MEAC Champ not get a chance to play in the playoffs. I dont mind the runner-up being in the Heritage Bowl, but the champion deseves a shot at the playoffs. With that being said. MEAC fans should have seen this comming and your schools, ADs, coaches, players and ect. knew it was comming and they where cool with it. Now the play the music to your ears and make you think that they are anti-Heritage Bowl but behind closed doors is a different story. Years ago the MEAC had a vision of getting a championship game like the SWAC, so they added the teams to split into divisions to make that possible. This is something that has been in the works for years, it didnt start last week or last month. MEAC fans turned a blind eye to this, and making comments like "we are all for the playoffs", and "we will never go for this", well that united front was just that.........................a front. While you were on message boards telling us how you love the playoffs so much, your AD, coaches, and presidents were getting the MEAC Championship game and Heritage Bowl moving from an idea to a reality. Bottom line, what do you view as progressive? The Ivy doesnt participate in the playoffs but I dont consider that segregation, those schools and conference are doing whats best for them.

bluedog
November 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM

All the talk about individual and team records and repeating as conference champions was secondary to the South Carolina State football team Saturday.

To a man and head coach Oliver ‘Buddy’ Pough, earning a second straight trip to the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs following the 37-13 win over Morgan State at Oliver C. Dawson Stadium took higher precedence. Unlike last season, the team’s first appearance since 1982, there was no satisfying talk about making the field of 16.

Instead, it was all about doing what Florida A&M was the last Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference team to accomplish 10 years ago and what the Rattlers achieved 21 years prior to that - advance and claim a national championship.

“We’re more about team wins and trying to get into the playoffs and trying to make something happen in the playoffs than we are about those records,” Pough said.

“My main goal this year is to lead the team to a national championship,” quarterback Malcolm Long said. “Hopefully, you’ll be in Chattanooga (Tennessee, the site of the FCS title game) interviewing me.”

MORE: http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2009/11/16/bulldogzone/doc4b00cf30cb74a750143280.txt

It's clear this writer doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

First it makes the false statement that the attendance of the Heritage Bowl was dwindling which is a lie. In actuality the attendance had risen back up and avg just a little over 31k for the last three year. http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/DI/2004/2004RB.pdf

Secondly he states that "The truth is, only a select few HBCU teams (Florida A&M, S.C. State, Jackson State, Grambling) can bring a noticeable following and national name recognition to a Heritage Bowl to make it work."

The facts are the top three attended games were all with Southern, S.C. State and BCC, Jackson State has never participated in one.

The heritage Bowl fail for two simple reasons

1) The MEAC chose to not send it's champion any more so they could go to the playoffs. (You can't very well have a National title game if one of it champions aren't participating)

2)Lack of sponsorship

Which in this case I think it would be safe to say Disney and ESPN are pretty good sponsors.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM
MEAC fans turned a blind eye to this, and making comments like "we are all for the playoffs", and "we will never go for this", well that united front was just that.........................a front. While you were on message boards telling us how you love the playoffs so much, your AD, coaches, and presidents were getting the MEAC Championship game and Heritage Bowl moving from an idea to a reality.

xnodx

bluedog
November 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
While you were on message boards telling us how you love the playoffs so much, your AD, coaches, and presidents were getting the MEAC Championship game and Heritage Bowl moving from an idea to a reality. Bottom line, what do you view as progressive? The Ivy doesnt participate in the playoffs but I dont consider that segregation, those schools and conference are doing whats best for them.

Their conference was trying to add more schools and split into divisions like who?

Their Commissioner was hinting at playing more conference game and is the rational for not full filling it's contract with a couple of SWAC schools.

Their Commissioner comes on Jaguar Journal and openly states how all involved wanted the HB back.

We constantly told them what was happening due to our past experience

The only way you could have not seen this coming is because you choose to stick your head up your butt.

DSUrocks07
November 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I'm gonna come right out and say it.

MEAC schools, if you scared say you scared. xnonono2x

SCSUBULLDOG1
November 19th, 2009, 07:32 AM
The MEAC/SWAC Challenge is sponsor by and a brainchild of ESPN. What does that have to do with the HERITAGE BOWL?

The point is we are dominating and even with it being on ESPN there are few fans at the game. The Heritage Bowl is History. Yeah The SWAC used to dominate the HB and it is not around anymore. With the way the MEAC dominates the MEAC SWAC it will be gome before long also.

bosshogg
November 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
It's clear this writer doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

First it makes the false statement that the attendance of the Heritage Bowl was dwindling which is a lie. In actuality the attendance had risen back up and avg just a little over 31k for the last three year. http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/DI/2004/2004RB.pdf

Secondly he states that "The truth is, only a select few HBCU teams (Florida A&M, S.C. State, Jackson State, Grambling) can bring a noticeable following and national name recognition to a Heritage Bowl to make it work."

The facts are the top three attended games were all with Southern, S.C. State and BCC, Jackson State has never participated in one.

The heritage Bowl fail for two simple reasons

1) The MEAC chose to not send it's champion any more so they could go to the playoffs. (You can't very well have a National title game if one of it champions aren't participating)

2)Lack of sponsorship

Which in this case I think it would be safe to say Disney and ESPN are pretty good sponsors.

Nobody is coming to this game if SCSU,FAMU, or A&T aint in it from the meac....Nobody is coming to a DSU vs Bama A&M Heritage Bowl....its not about the fact that we didnt send our #1 team. If FAMU was our #2 team and we sent them against SOuthern, the game would be packed. If Norfolk was the #1 team and they went in against Prarie View, you will hear a pin drop at the game...

the fact that "the MEAC didnt send their best" is just a cop out and everyone here knows it. Its about the teams that play, not which one is #1 in the conference....

this is the difference between the Florida Classic/bayou Classic/Magic City classic, and some stupid heritage bowl.

those games are the same 2 teams playin at the same time every year and they are rivals. that draws crowds, which draw sponsors...

2 different teams every year in a heritage bowl will draw no more than the MEAC?SWAC challenge does....it actualyl will draw less, because at least the MEAC?SWAC challenge is in warm weather, and at the begininng of the season when excitement is high. If the heritage bowl was this year, and SCSU played whoever wins out of Prarie View/JSU or who ever wins the SWAC east, crowds would be slim

With those classics, even when the teams are having down years, your gonna get 50K. All the time. Thats what sponsors want. Dependable crowds. If the year FAMU plays Southern they get 50K, but the next year when bama state plays Norfolk they get 18K, there will be no major sponsors. not long term anyway.

This is why the game failed before. NOT BECAUSE THE MEAC DIDNT SEND THEIR CHAMP. BUT BECAUSE OF WHO THE CHAMPS WERE, AND THE CROWDS THEY BRING!!!!!!

bosshogg
November 19th, 2009, 09:02 AM
If/when this passes, I can already see some SWAC fans now saying "well, the reason it didnt do well NOW is that the MEAC fans didnt support it"

and they would be right. because its stupid.

SOCON/BIG SOUTH! HELP US!

Panther88
November 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Internet rhetoric and emotionalism on display @ it's finest hour while your (voting) powers that be are steering your schools in a differing direction. xlolx

As we say in these parts, "all talk and no azz." Some need to stop lieing to themselves and fact fact (truth) for once. Sheeeesh.

jstate83
November 19th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Internet rhetoric and emotionalism on display @ it's finest hour while your (voting) powers that be are steering your schools in a differing direction. xlolx

As we say in these parts, "all talk and no azz." Some need to stop lieing to themselves and fact fact (truth) for once. Sheeeesh.

Been steering them in this path for 3 years.
Sad part is most think they are actually going to split into North and South MEAC divisions and not have a Championship game.
As soon as those other school's are added, this is a done deal or the voting powers, THE PRESIDENTS, would have shut this down when he mentioned it the first couple times.

A mandate to play everybody in the MEAC without a championship game or divisions won't work in this case either because they would have 12 teams in the MEAC.
That would mean that NO OOC games could be scheduled because you would already have 11 built in games.
That would mean your playoff power would evaporate like the SWAC because you would only be playing MEAC teams and you know what the other conferences would say if one of your teams get the nod over a team that went head to head with other conference teams during the regular season.

How can the FCS Playoff committee put you in if you have no head to head games with conferences that play in the playoffs on the regular.
With an 11 game mandate in the MEAC, OOC games with FCS "playoff" teams/conferences can not be done.
Ya'll would not even be able to play SWAC teams or anybody.
The Tennessee State/FAMU matchup would even be toast unless FAMU is going to play 12 games.
Your teams would start to get overlooked in 2 years just like the SWAC did.

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
A mandate to play everybody in the MEAC without a championship game or divisions won't work in this case either because they would have 12 teams in the MEAC.
That would mean that NO OOC games could be scheduled because you would already have 11 built in games.
That would mean your playoff power would evaporate like the SWAC because you would only be playing MEAC teams and you know what the other conferences would say if one of your teams get the nod over a team that went head to head with other conference teams during the regular season.

I doubt that will happen. WSSU is returning to Division II, and unless UMES reinstates its plan to restore football, the MEAC will stay at ten football playing schools (sorry Savannah). The MEAC will require probably require eight conference games, leaving three for OOC.

Most schools would fight that because they wouldn't be able to continue other regional and historic rivalries:
(NCCU vs WSSU; NCA&T vs WSSU; NSU vs VSU; MSU vs Townson; FAMU vs TSU; FAMU vs SU, etc) nor could they play FBS schools for paydays.

jstate83
November 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I doubt that will happen. WSSU is returning to Division II, and unless UMES reinstates its plan to restore football, the MEAC will stay at ten football playing schools (sorry Savannah). The MEAC will require probably require eight conference games, leaving three for OOC.

Most schools would fight that because they wouldn't be able to continue other regional and historic rivalries:
(NCCU vs WSSU; NCA&T vs WSSU; NSU vs VSU; MSU vs Townson; FAMU vs TSU; FAMU vs SU, etc) nor could they play FBS schools for paydays.

So it's looking like a North/South divisional format with a 8 game mandate.
That would mean everybody would have 2 teams in the conference they would not play.
So without a championship game, the MEAC championship would be decided on a coin flip or points?

OL FU
November 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM
If/when this passes, I can already see some SWAC fans now saying "well, the reason it didnt do well NOW is that the MEAC fans didnt support it"

I am all for schools and conferences doing what they feel are in their best interest. One of the reasons why I never say anything about the SWAC's scheduling of games during the playoff period. Their business (in more ways than one)

But I would certainly love to see the SoCon extend an invite to the Bulldogs xthumbsupx

henfan
November 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM
There are several other conferences that don't participate in this racket either but one part can't help but have this propensity to always worry about what the HBCU's are doing and the other part begging to jump in dept with all the other fishes.

You mean the racket that guarantees traveling teams reimbursement for all approved expenses? The same racket that provides revenue to host schools who are able to cover their bid amounts via ticket sales?

Maybe you're referring to the same playoff racket that the SWAC choose to beg out of after they discovered that their teams weren't going to be competitive? Zero wins in 19 attempts probably makes the playoffs seem like a racket. At least bowl games give conferences a 50% chance of coming away with a 'W'.

If you're like the Ivy League and choose not to participate in any post-season, heck, you can never lose a game!xthumbsupx

jstate83
November 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM
You mean the racket that guarantees traveling teams reimbursement for all approved expenses? The same racket that provides revenue to host schools who are able to cover their bid amounts via ticket sales?

Maybe you're referring to the same playoff racket that the SWAC choose to beg out of after they discovered that their teams weren't going to be competitive? Zero wins in 19 attempts probably makes the playoffs seem like a racket. At least bowl games give conferences a 50% chance of coming away with a 'W'.

If you're like the Ivy League and choose not to participate in any post-season, heck, you can never lose a game!xthumbsupx

Dude.
The SWAC didn't BEG out of nothing.
The SWAC Officials made a off the field decision about having the SCG in 1996 and went with it in 1999 knowing very well this would interfear with the playoff picture.
Not one single coach was in on the vote to drop the playoffs.
And as for not being competitive, JSU went 11 times, got worked in 4 and the rest was even games.
Even lost the game to Arkansas State on the last play of the game.....A Fumbleruskie 33-31.

As a JSU alum, yes I was for the playoffs but in the grand scheme of things, the playoff's are not life and death to JSU like they are with some school's represented here.

Ya'll sit here and talk all the noise about playoff inclusion but as soon as a 'HBCU" team is announced in the field, all the they don't belong here crap start's.
So don't act like the SWAC BEGGED out of something that most didn't want us in anyway.
Would I like to go back ............YES.
Do I care about the fake inclusion that is shown here..............NO.
If the SWAC was still participating in the playoffs, ya'll would be screaming that our teams don't belong and you know it.
Mofo's here damm near had a stroke like it was the end of the world when poor P. View checked in at #25 in the poll's.xlolx

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM
So it's looking like a North/South divisional format with a 8 game mandate.
That would mean everybody would have 2 teams in the conference they would not play.
So without a championship game, the MEAC championship would be decided on a coin flip or points?

I personally don't feel the need for divisions, but if it would help with travel, then so be it. The eight game mandate would give four divisional games, and two permanent non-divisional 'partners' and two rotating games.

For example: SCSU's schedule could be:
Divisional foes: NC A & T, BCC, FAMU, NCCU,
Permanent Non-Divisional Foes: NSU, Hampton
Rotating Non-Divisional Foes: Howard, Morgan State

They would skip playing: DSU

Similar to the CAA, there would be a North and South champion. The autobid would be determined by conference record, head-to-head results, with other criteria being used:

Records against common opponents
Ranking/Poll Strength
Coin Flip

If all criteria is established at the beginning of the season, then all teams face the same rules. Most of the time, record against common opponents is enough to eliminate one team or the other.

NSUSPARTAN
November 19th, 2009, 12:16 PM
It is a done deal as far as the MEAC Head Coaches go, the AD's vote at the winter meetings. The only way the MEAC does not go to the Heritage Bowl if the Bowl does not give each school $600,000. Mr Thomas has taken the MEAC back to the 1960! It does not make sence seeing that the I-AA playoffs are moving to 20 teams next year. D-1 schools are pushing for playoffs, we are pulling out the playoffs? ONLY IN THE MEAC! We have no one but our head coaches to thank, they voted 7-2 for the Heritage Bowl. Only NSU & DSU voted against it. I just hope that the Bowl does not fold after a couple years! You know the NCAA will not give the MEAC it AQ for playoffs back.

WestCoastAggie
November 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Dude.
The SWAC didn't BEG out of nothing.
The SWAC Officials made a off the field decision about having the SCG in 1996 and went with it in 1999 knowing very well this would interfear with the playoff picture.
Not one single coach was in on the vote to drop the playoffs.
And as for not being competitive, JSU went 11 times, got worked in 4 and the rest was even games.
Even lost the game to Arkansas State on the last play of the game.....A Fumbleruskie 33-31.

As a JSU alum, yes I was for the playoffs but in the grand scheme of things, the playoff's are not life and death to JSU like they are with some school's represented here.

Ya'll sit here and talk all the noise about playoff inclusion but as soon as a 'HBCU" team is announced in the field, all the they don't belong here crap start's.
So don't act like the SWAC BEGGED out of something that most didn't want us in anyway.
Would I like to go back ............YES.
Do I care about the fake inclusion that is shown here..............NO.
If the SWAC was still participating in the playoffs, ya'll would be screaming that our teams don't belong and you know it.
Mofo's here damm near had a stroke like it was the end of the world when poor P. View checked in at #25 in the poll's.xlolx

Some of that talk IS racial and those will see the error in their ways and thoughts.

However, MOST of it isn't. MOST would like it in the playoffs.

But anyways, back to the arguments against this game. It's only one game and it is preventing multiple teams the chance to play in the post season. It will hurt us recruiting wise and where is the market for such event. How are we sure that this game will attract the same numbers that the FL Classic or the Bayou Classic attracts? Who's to say the payout wouldn't be more than a school that hosts multiple playoff games and gets a champ. game payout?

Why not look to moving the conferences to the BCS if we want to have bowl games? At least give multiple teams to have post-season play.

BTW: I am doing my part to stop this. I am getting the word out to the people who pays for most of the Athletic Expenses at N.C. A&T: THE STUDENTS!

And boy are A&T students pissed! xwhistlex

bluedog
November 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM

I totally understand that position but here's the kicker. The IVY doesn't participate and until recently the Geart West nor the Poineer League (I think) made themsevles availble to the playoffs, so why aren't they viewed as SEGREGATING themselves?

Our conference made this choice because of economic reason and quite frankly I'm sick and tired of other people who really don't have our best interest at heart giving that load of crap and some of us buying into it.

Again I understand your position but you would have to admit if you're honest it's somewhat sckewed (sp) by propaganda.

OL FU
November 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I totally understand that position but here's the kicker. The IVY doesn't participate and until recently the Geart West nor the Poineer League (I think) made themsevles availble to the playoffs, so why aren't they viewed as SEGREGATING themselves?

Our conference made this choice because of economic reason and quite frankly I'm sick and tired of other people who really don't have our best interest at heart giving that load of crap and some of us buying into it.

Again I understand your position but you would have to admit if you're honest it's somewhat sckewed (sp) by propaganda.

I don't think the SWAC has segregated itself. The SWAC made a decision based I would imagine mostly on economics. Now the IVY League has segregated itselfxnodx My humble opinion is that no matter what else they say, they aren't competing for a championship that is not at the highest level of collegiate competition. xtwocentsx

bluedog
November 19th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Some of that talk IS racial and those will see the error in their ways and thoughts.

However, MOST of it isn't. MOST would like it in the playoffs.

But anyways, back to the arguments against this game. It's only one game and it is preventing multiple teams the chance to play in the post season. It will hurt us recruiting wise and where is the market for such event. How are we sure that this game will attract the same numbers that the FL Classic or the Bayou Classic attracts? Who's to say the payout wouldn't be more than a school that hosts multiple playoff games and gets a champ. game payout?

Why not look to moving the conferences to the BCS if we want to have bowl games? At least give multiple teams to have post-season play.

BTW: I am doing my part to stop this. I am getting the word out to the people who pays for most of the Athletic Expenses at N.C. A&T: THE STUDENTS!

And boy are A&T students pissed! xwhistlex

That's all fine a dandy but the reality is the students don't pay one dime of tutition, their parents do. Do the parents care?

I'll tell you what any parent that ask about it will hear.

Well Mr. & Mrs Joe Parent due to budget constraints and the economic enviroment now, it's either we do that or raise tutition.

Want to guess what Mr. & Mrs. Joe Parent is going to tell their kid?

Bigmoneymike
November 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I cant believe the MEAC is doing this. The leadership in both conferences are a joke. What are the football players playing for? Its like working at a job knowing you can never get to the top position. JMO

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I cant believe the MEAC is doing this. The leadership in both conferences are a joke. What are the football players playing for? Its like working at a job knowing you can never get to the top position. JMO

And with the top flight recruits that SCSU has been able to land over the past four years, I honestly find it hard to believe that Buddy Pough would support this. We've seen what withdrawing from the playoffs has done to the talent level in the SWAC.

It's just not there anymore.

bluedog
November 19th, 2009, 02:06 PM
And with the top flight recruits that SCSU has been able to land over the past four years, I honestly find it hard to believe that Buddy Pough would support this. We've seen what withdrawing from the playoffs has done to the talent level in the SWAC.

It's just not there anymore.

Oh really? Well how about you break that down for us, since you're such an astute follower of SWAC tradition.

GSUISBACK
November 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Send your second or third place team to the hb and keep your playoff aq

henfan
November 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
The SWAC Officials made a off the field decision about having the SCG in 1996 and went with it in 1999 knowing very well this would interfear with the playoff picture...

Ya'll sit here and talk all the noise about playoff inclusion but as soon as a 'HBCU" team is announced in the field, all the they don't belong here crap start's. So don't act like the SWAC BEGGED out of something that most didn't want us in anyway.

I'm not sure who you're referring to with the outrageous "ya'll" comment. Please stick to reading what I wrote. My response was to the bunk spouted by another poster suggesting somehow that the SWAC opted out because the playoffs were nothing more than "a racket".

Let's be completely honest. The "off the field decision" to withdraw from the I-AA playoffs was made much easier by the SWAC's utter lack of "on the field" success. Unquestionably there were other relevant common sense/dollars & cents considerations working against continued participation in the playoffs; that's understood and appreciated. What I also understand and appreciate is the SWAC's perogative not to want to participate in the I-AA/FCS playoffs.

Still, I think it's terribly unfortunate that a great conference with the exceptional tradition and following of SWAC doesn't participate in the playoffs, despite their lack of playoff wins. If the MEAC should also choose to withdraw, it would be similarly unfortunate. The FCS postseason would be much stronger on a lot of levels if the SWAC & Ivy participated.

henfan
November 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM
It is a done deal as far as the MEAC Head Coaches go, the AD's vote at the winter meetings.

Given the implications, wouldn't MEAC CEOs have to vote on this? Seems like a decision that would rise above the AD level.

It's odd that media outlets in MEAC cities aren't yet reporting on this.

jstate83
November 19th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure who you're referring to with the outrageous "ya'll" comment. Please stick to reading what I wrote. My response was to the bunk spouted by another poster suggesting somehow that the SWAC opted out because the playoffs were nothing more than "a racket".

Let's be completely honest. The "off the field decision" to withdraw from the I-AA playoffs was made much easier by the SWAC's utter lack of "on the field" success. Unquestionably there were other relevant common sense/dollars & cents considerations working against continued participation in the playoffs; that's understood and appreciated. What I also understand and appreciate is the SWAC's perogative not to want to participate in the I-AA/FCS playoffs.

Still, I think it's terribly unfortunate that a great conference with the exceptional tradition and following of SWAC doesn't participate in the playoffs, despite their lack of playoff wins. If the MEAC should also choose to withdraw, it would be similarly unfortunate. The FCS postseason would be much stronger on a lot of levels if the SWAC & Ivy participated.

First of all please don't go over the top calling "Ya'll" an outrageous statement.
It's a common word used here when describing things.
Like the thread about P. View checking in at #25.
More than one person chimmed in so "Ya'll" was used so put the hyper sensitive mode back in neutral.xlolx

As for the lack of sucess, I know you would like to think the SWAC pulled out because they were scared but during that time, JSU was scheduling all kinds of OOC games during the regular season and winning.
When the playoff's rolled around and we lost a game, people were pissed but NOBODY sat around like the world was comming to an end, screamming we can't compete.
No skin off our backs and now it look like another conference is taking another look at the playoffs............To go or NOT to go.

Teams in the SWAC wanted to go but the conference made the decision on the SCG and that was it.
At that time, the SWAC only had 8 teams and nearly half was not participating in the playoff's then.
Bamma State, Gram, and Southern was never in the playoff mix after 1989.
Out of the 3, Gram was the only one of those 2 to participate in the Playoffs ever.
Grams last playoff game was in 1989 and was a 59-56 loss at SFA.
Guess that count's as a non-competitive blowout loss to the N.C. runnerup.xlolx

Sly Fox
November 19th, 2009, 03:58 PM
It is sad watching this go down. Then again, SC State and other MEAC discontents are welcome in the Big South.

henfan
November 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM
First of all please don't go over the top calling "Ya'll" an outrageous statement. It's a common word used here when describing things...

I thought it was outrageous because of the context you used the term in. If you didn't intend to lump my opinion in with others, you could have had the decency to respond to it directly and not lump it in with "y'all". xsmhx

As for the lack of sucess, I know you would like to think the SWAC pulled out because they were scared but during that time, JSU was scheduling all kinds of OOC games during the regular season and winning...
Teams in the SWAC wanted to go but the conference made the decision on the SCG and that was it.

No, SWAC players and coaches definitely aren't "scared" of competition; those guys are warriors. I do believe that SWAC conference leaders got sick of losing in the national playoffs and weren't pleased with the negative connotations of 0-19. Granted, lack of playoff success likely wasn't THE reason for withdrawing from competition, as I've said before, but it sure as heck think it was A reason. You're perfectly free to believe whatever you want.

IMO, it would benefit entire subdivison if the SWAC not only participated but actually won playoff games. Of course, you can't win if you've shut the door on trying. xthumbsdownx

jstate83
November 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I thought it was outrageous because of the context you used the term in. If you didn't intend to lump my opinion in with others, you could have had the decency to respond to it directly and not lump it in with "y'all". xsmhx

No, SWAC players and coaches definitely aren't "scared" of competition; those guys are warriors. I do believe that SWAC conference leaders got sick of losing in the national playoffs and weren't pleased with the negative connotations of 0-19. Granted, lack of playoff success likely wasn't THE reason for withdrawing from competition, as I've said before, but it sure as heck think it was A reason. You're perfectly free to believe whatever you want.

IMO, it would benefit entire subdivison if the SWAC not only participated but actually won playoff games. Of course, you can't win if you've shut the door on trying. xthumbsdownx

Whatever dude.
People are so sensitive here, making a mountain out of a freaking mole hill.
And have the decency to look at shat and understand that when people say something in a statement, he could be talking about people other than you.
If you didn't comment on the P. View thread, I was not talking to you so let it go.
All this over the word Ya'll. xsmhx

And for the second part.
No matter what is said here, you know more about what went on in the SWAC than the people that were actually here and involved when it happened.
I believe whatever fantasy you deem is true. xsmhx
After all, you know more about what went down than the people telling you that WAS ACTUALLY HERE in 1996 when this was bought up and then voted on in 1997.

bluedog
November 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM
It is sad watching this go down. Then again, SC State and other MEAC discontents are welcome in the Big South.

I'm sure Y'ALL have the authority to admit them in. xlolxxlolxxlolx

henfan
November 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM
No matter what is said here, you know more about what went on in the SWAC than the people that were actually here and involved when it happened.

So you were involved in the SWAC's decision? OK. xnutsx

SDSUJacks
November 19th, 2009, 04:57 PM

I really hope that if this happens, you get a spot in the Big South. I say Big South because since they are getting an autobid in 2010, they will be more likely to extend an invite to strengthen their conference. I wish SCSU the best of luck and hope that you can find a way out of this mess.

jstate83
November 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
So you were involved in the SWAC's decision? OK. xnutsx

One thing I have noticed, posters from Delaware just like to be annoying. xsmhx
Either you just like being annoying or just can't grasp the art of comprehension.
Either way is like talking to a spoiled kid.

Go play with someone else with these pre-school questions.
Besides...............You already know everything. xsmhx
Let me stop before Mr. Mod bans me again because of another annoying poster from the Northeast. xlolx

jstate83
November 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'm sure Y'ALL have the authority to admit them in. xlolxxlolxxlolx

First he make a mountain out of the word YA'LL and now he act like he don't know what people are talking about when I made the statement about being here and involved when the decision was made about the SCG.xlolx

I have had better experiences talking to a toddler. xlolx

henfan
November 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Jstate83, I have no interest in responding to your silly ad hominim attacks. Let's try to keep the discussion about football.

It's fine if you want to believe that the SWAC's lack of past playoff success has nothing to do with conference officials pulling the plug on the playoffs. I'm not even sure why you'd want to continue to argue the painfully obvious.

No less an authority than SWAC commish Duer Sharp himself cited lack of competitiveness as a factor to the Sports Network just last July:

Sharp was adamant at last week's SWAC media day that his league wasn't interested in the playoffs, noting that his conference is 0-18 lifetime in FCS postseason play and that the cost of playing such games outweighs the benefits.

http://www.oddsandnews.com/football/ncfaa/news/2009-07-29/around-fcs-differing-opinions-on-swacs-playoff-future-70134

And again in this article...

SWAC commissioner Duer Sharp addressed the yearly question of whether there are any plans in the works to adjust the schedule so that SWAC teams can play in the Division I-AA playoffs.

"Nope," Sharp said. "In the 18 years we played in it, we were 0-18. You add in the financial requirement, the ticket guarantee you have to give - it was a double loss."

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090722/SPORTS030101/907220342/1287

Your school's former HC agrees:

Since the early 1980’s, Southern University and Grambling State have played in the Bayou Classic in New Orleans after the Division I-AA (FCS) play-off schedule began. Also, Alabama State and Tuskegee play the Turkey Day Classic on Thanksgiving, therefore eliminating the SWAC from play-off contention. As former Jackson State Coach W.C. Gorden said about playing in the Divisional play-offs, “we (SWAC) lost money by playing in those games verses playing in a Classic ball game...And, besides that we never had much success in winning any of those games.”
http://www.mississippilink.com/articles/2009/11/16/sports/doc4afc3146dfa42526273370.txt

Bigmoneymike
November 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Thats the exact reason the SWAC needs new leadership. Pathetic

WileECoyote06
November 20th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Oh really? Well how about you break that down for us, since you're such an astute follower of SWAC tradition.

Check the number of draft picks in the past two decades. I'll come back later and post the exact numbers, but I estimate they averaged about 8 picks a year. I'm pretty sure, that led all FCS conferences.

jstate83
November 20th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Jstate83, I have no interest in responding to your silly ad hominim attacks. Let's try to keep the discussion about football.

It's fine if you want to believe that the SWAC's lack of past playoff success has nothing to do with conference officials pulling the plug on the playoffs. I'm not even sure why you'd want to continue to argue the painfully obvious.

No less an authority than SWAC commish Duer Sharp himself cited lack of competitiveness as a factor to the Sports Network just last July:

Dude.

Believe what you want to believe.
I'm not getting into a pi$$ing match with someone that know everything about everything.
have at it and I'll post to posters that actually know what they talking about when it comes to why the SWAC created the SCG.

bosshogg
November 20th, 2009, 09:43 AM
just got some info from leadership......this proposal is not as far along as it would seem....

can't divulge the source, but this is much farther from happening than once thought...

great news...

Panther88
November 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Let it go henfan. It was all about $$$ and cents coupled w/ sense. xreadx

An undefeated SWAC squad @ 11-0 travelling 10,000 miles to BillyBob, Montana or Backwoods, Delaware xlolx to play a backwoods FCS squad in the middle of a blizzard or other detrimental conditions isn't an attractive proposition. Maybe to some of you ppl it is, but to ours it obviously wasn't.

I stand behind MY immediate leadership, the president of PVAMU. And, I certainly stand behind our currently outward conference leadership in Mr Sharp, whom I share very, very, VERY common enemies w/. xsmiley_wix Folx like you all. :D

The other detractors can state and think what they may but the scenario is still the same, the one(s) w/ the voting power will steer the ship and they are along for the enjoyment of the ride.

henfan
November 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Dude. Believe what you want to believe.

It's not a matter of personal opinion or beliefs. It appears you're having a difficult time refuting the comments of the SWAC commish & JSU's former head coach, while I've simply deferred to them. After all, they are the experts; the ones who were really 'there and involved' in the process. xreadxxpeacex

henfan
November 20th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Bosshog, any word on if/when the MEAC CEOs will actually vote on a this?

hebmskebm
November 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Solution: Split the MEAC into divisions, a la the CAA. Declare co-champs. Send one division champ to the playoffs, the other to the bowl game. That way, they could still technically promote the Heritage Bowl as the "SWAC Champ" vs. the "MEAC Champ".

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Solution: Split the MEAC into divisions, a la the CAA. Declare co-champs. Send one division champ to the playoffs, the other to the bowl game. That way, they could still technically promote the Heritage Bowl as the "SWAC Champ" vs. the "MEAC Champ".

what about a situation where you have a 10-1 Hampton as the North Champ and a 10-1 Florida A&M as the South champ? depending on their resumes, and with the expanded playoffs, wouldn't both teams be qualified for playoff berths?

I agree with the divisional split, and I've been saying it for years now. Admit SSU in the MEAC as well and persuade one of the Northern schools (UM-Eastern Shore, or Coppin State) to add football. Problem solved.