PDA

View Full Version : A.E.'s NFL prospects

LegalGaSouthernEagle
November 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Here is what I believe to be a fascinating topic for dicussion. Probably been discussed here before, but situations like this are fluid.
I'm curious to hear current opinions on the viability of Armanti Edwards in the NFL, at any position.
I'll weigh in after hearing from a few fellow-posters. thanks.
GATA. xcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
November 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65720

blukeys
November 13th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I have seen AE quite a few times since he jumped on the scene. I don't know if I commented on the other thread or not so here is what I have seen.

Most Pro Scouts want to see the arm strength in a QB that can make certain throws. The key throw is the 10 to 15 yard deep out. In this throw the ball is actually in the air for 25 to 35 yards on a line. I have never seen Edwards make this throw the way a NFL quality QB makes it. I think he can be picked up by a team who would use him as a wideout / slash player in order to use his running skills. HIs thows over the middle can get him some NFL attention but his out throws do not get to the receiver quick enough not to be knocked down or picked off by NFL cornerbacks.

HenZoneNation
November 14th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Clipboard and backwards hat if he's lucky...CFL if he's not...Tebow won't be playing QB in the NFL, neither will AE...he had a great career though.

BEAR
November 14th, 2009, 07:13 AM
How tall is he? If he's not @ 6'4" or bigger, he's got no hope. Yeah there are smaller nfl qbs, but coming from the FCS, he has to overcome competition level, height, throwing...etc..etc...
I watched Rhett Bomar and Nathan Brown in the Senior Bowl, a game full of NFL players and saw that height may not be a big factor in reality, but the scouts took a taller Bomar over a shorter Brown...yet Brown led the Senior Bowl team to multiple touchdowns while bomar struggled. Yet they both faced the same competition in college. Height makes all the difference in the world to an nfl team.

boonegoon
November 14th, 2009, 07:47 AM
How tall is he? If he's not @ 6'4" or bigger, he's got no hope. Yeah there are smaller nfl qbs, but coming from the FCS, he has to overcome competition level, height, throwing...etc..etc...
I watched Rhett Bomar and Nathan Brown in the Senior Bowl, a game full of NFL players and saw that height may not be a big factor in reality, but the scouts took a taller Bomar over a shorter Brown...yet Brown led the Senior Bowl team to multiple touchdowns while bomar struggled. Yet they both faced the same competition in college. Height makes all the difference in the world to an nfl team.

Drew Brees 6-0 209
Jeff Garcia 6-1 195
Brett Favre 6-2 225
Michael Vick 6-0 215
Armanti Edwards 6-0 185
Like my wife twlls me, size doesn't matter. It's the quality of the performer. These three current NFL qbs are not Payton Manning or Tom Brady big but are very, very good. I could throw in Flutie historical reference. Just saying.

That being said, I think he is too slight right now. He does need to show his arm strength more. A very interesting time.
That being said, I'm not sure

BEAR
November 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Are there any speed schools in the mountains he can attend to train specifically for the combine? I know Jacob Ford, former UCA DE now DE for the Titans, went to Parisi Speed school here in Conway and trained for the combine and ended up with the second fastest times in the combine for DEs. Just an idea. xthumbsupx

KAUMASS
November 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM
ASU really doesn't have to throw the 15 yard deep out because of his running ability. I've seen him in person and play a number of times on TV. He does have the arm strength. He is a great fit for a wildcat guy who can also throw. He will get an opportunity to play in wildcat situations and just may earn more playing time based on his wildcat play. The kid is tough as nails, which impresses me almost more than his athleticism. He's got to stay away from power equipment though. We all wish him the best in his future games and potential pro career, except when he plays against a CAA opponent at the end of this year.

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Most Pro Scouts want to see the arm strength in a QB that can make certain throws. The key throw is the 10 to 15 yard deep out. In this throw the ball is actually in the air for 25 to 35 yards on a line.

Watch John Skelton of Fordham do this. It's really impressive. Especially live; you can tell he's just different.

blukeys
November 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM
ASU really doesn't have to throw the 15 yard deep out because of his running ability. I've seen him in person and play a number of times on TV. He does have the arm strength.

Most Pro Scouts will disagree with you. I wish AE well in the NFL. the sooner the better.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Most Pro Scouts will disagree with you.

Links, please.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 14th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Well my 2 favorite football teams are both Mountaineers - WV and APP so I have seen Armanti and Pat White many many times - Here's my comparison of the two for what it's worth ----
1. Armanti is a much better passer than Pat - he does have a strong arm for those who haven't seen him in person 2. Pat is faster and a better runner in the sense that when Pat got into the open field he found seams whereas when Armanti gets into the open field he looks for a defender to run over - They are both 4 year starters and great leaders and led their teams to new heights - Pat had one 300 yard passing game in his entire 4 year career (his last game) Armanti has had numerous 300 and several 400 yard games 3. Pat is probably a little bigger than Armanti but not significantly so - If Pat can play in the NFL it is my opinion that Armanti can play but most likely in a limited role in the right system ----

Now just about 2 weeks ago Coach Moore in his post-game interview made this comment (not his exact quote) - Many of the NFL scouts who have been looking at Armanti as an "athlete" are now realizing what a great passer he is and are now looking at him at the QB position ----

HenZoneNation
November 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
With all due respect...AE is not better than Pat White and Pat White has had little to no impact for the Dolphins. He had a good game last week but aside from that he used maybe 2 times a game. Not worth a second round pick. AE could get a shot at that role but I doubt it. I think whatever team took him would wind up with another Dexter Jackson. That doesn't make his college play any less impressive...it just is what it is.

I saw Scott Brunner this week (former UD/NY Giants QB) who worked with Flacco before the draft and he said Skelton is incredible. I believe he mentioned he was working with him but that Skelton was the real deal.

blukeys
November 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Links, please.

Mel Kiper on ESPN has repeatedly gone over what pro scouts consider to be important for every position including quarterback.

KAUMASS says that AE's running ability negates the scout's desire to see a QB be able to throw a deep out pattern on a rope. Kiper says scouts want to see certain throws for a QB. I guess KAUMASS needs to provide links that show that AE will be absolved of certain QB criteria because he runs well.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Mel Kiper on ESPN has repeatedly gone over what pro scouts consider to be important for every position including quarterback.

KAUMASS says that AE's running ability negates the scout's desire to see a QB be able to throw a deep out pattern on a rope. Kiper says scouts want to see certain throws for a QB. I guess KAUMASS needs to provide links that show that AE will be absolved of certain QB criteria because he runs well.

I thought you were saying most scouts would disagree with KAUMASS's statement that he has the arm strength.

Mountaineer#96
November 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
With teams throwing the wildcat offense out to the field I could see him doing what Pat White does for the Dolphins.......returning punts and kickoffs as well as taking about 15 snaps as a QB a game.

HenZoneNation
November 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Pat White doesn't take 15 snaps again...and neither he nor Michael Vick (two running QB's) have done much with the Wild Cat. What's AE's forty time because he definetly doesn't fear contact...I know people on the APPY board had said that was the problem with Jackson. Becoming a return man could be an option. The problem is his size (weight) and just how physical the NFL is. We had a guy Eddie Conti who was an incredible WR with tons of speed that the Jets and Bucs tried to make a return man out of him but he was to small. Parcells said he actually feared for his safety. AE is bigger that Conti but he's still more on the small side.

PhoenixSupreme
November 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM
With teams throwing the wildcat offense out to the field I could see him doing what Pat White does for the Dolphins.......returning punts and kickoffs as well as taking about 15 snaps as a QB a game.

The Wildcat is gonna be gone from the NFL within 5 years...maybe not in college but definitely in the NFL. Teams will figure out how to beat it, and it will never become a practical every-down offense. It's much like how the Bears were so dominant with the 46 Defense, but within a few years it was gone because its weaknesses were exploited.

I could see AE potentially being brought into a West Coast Offense because it is more of a system run on instincts, and should the short passing game break down, AE would have the mobility to scramble and make plays

seantaylor
November 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
AE has zero shot at playing QB in the NFL. He is tiny, and is nowhere near as fast as Pat White.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2009, 07:49 PM
nowhere near as fast as Pat White.

Armanti= 4.52
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66873&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR
Pat White= 4.55
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=9753&draftyear=2009&genpos=qb

Armanti is the fastest QB listed on that site.

AppStateold299
November 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM

Does anyone remember the wonderful small QB from Boston College by the name of Doug Flutie? He was a little guy and had a pretty good career in the NFL

UNH Fanboi
November 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Does anyone remember the wonderful small QB from Boston College by the name of Doug Flutie? He was a little guy and had a pretty good career in the NFL

Teams care a lot more about height now than they used to. Lineman nowadays are several inches taller than they used to be.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Teams care a lot more about height now than they used to. Lineman nowadays are several inches taller than they used to be.

Drew Brees? How can he see over his lineman?!? That guy must suck!

I think height as an automatic disqualifier is a bit of a myth. Quarterbacks throw through passing lanes. If they don't... even if they are 6'6 they are going to get A LOT of passes batted down.

UNHFan
November 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
www.nfldraftscout.com has him ranked 14 out of 132 QB's for the draft Look everyone on this thread is making valid points. Lets just all agree we want him to make it in the NFL how can any FCS fan not be pulling for him. Ill be rooting for him all the way!

WVAPPmountaineer
November 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
"AE has zero shot at playing QB in the NFL. He is tiny, and is nowhere near as fast as Pat White. "

Brilliant comment from a typical GSU fan - just got home and watched the replay and heard Sam Wyche, the color commentator, say on numerous occasions that Armanti would be a NFL QB - Remember Sam? former NFL QB and Super Bowl head coach ---- sour grapes because Jayson Foster couldn't make it ----

seantaylor
November 14th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Armanti= 4.52
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66873&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR
Pat White= 4.55
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=9753&draftyear=2009&genpos=qb

Armanti is the fastest QB listed on that site.

Armanti hasn't been to the combine. He wont run in the 4.5's.

ericappstate
November 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM
4.4s?

ThompsonThe
November 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I hope that every one of you that says that AE cannot play QB in the NFL chokes on a doughnut while watching him thread a needle at 70 yards and then rushing for 300 yards in some games next year.

BDKJMU
November 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I hope that every one of you that says that AE cannot play QB in the NFL chokes on a doughnut while watching him thread a needle at 70 yards and then rushing for 300 yards in some games next year.

xeyebrowxxeyebrowx xlolxxlolx

GreatAppSt
November 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Brilliant comment from a typical GSU fan ----

Not a typical GSU fan WV, he's Dick Taylor cousin of Dick Tracy but unlike his famous cousin he's been proven clueless many many times over the years. He does provide good comic relief though.xthumbsupx

seantaylor
November 15th, 2009, 12:14 AM
You guy's realize Pat White supposedly ran a 4.3 at WVU? They over inflate their speed. Same thing will happen when AE gets timed. He's fast, but not blazing.

MarchingMountaineer
November 15th, 2009, 04:33 AM
How about ...

HE'S RUN FOR 4000 YARDS. There's more to running a football that far than just straight-ahead speed. He's the 6th leading rusher in Div I, and he's a quarterback. All the others are running backs.

Oh, and he's thrown for over 9000 yards (9th in all Div I). And he has the 4th highest passing efficiency doing it. He -can- pass. Ya'll must have missed those plays.

How many Division I college-turned-pro quarterbacks have done those two things? (In case you missed it, he's the only one. Ever.)

I don't know why someone would keep comparing him to anyone or how they've done in the NFL.

CamelCityAppFan
November 15th, 2009, 04:41 AM
You guy's realize Pat White supposedly ran a 4.3 at WVU? They over inflate their speed. Same thing will happen when AE gets timed. He's fast, but not blazing.

If they over inflated AEs speed, then everyone else on the QB draft list is over inflated as well. And over inflated or not, he's still #1 on the speed list of QBs. xcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
#5 QB in 2010 class... Armanti Edwards:
http://profootballweekly.com/2009/10/30/locker-heads-overhyped-qb-class

EmeryZach
November 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM

You mean 2010 UFL draft class right? xsmiley_wix

Rekdiver
November 15th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I've wondered about Armanti in the NFL. As an athlete he would get drafted in rounds 5-7. HOWEVER, after watching his passing game this year and knowing that scouts are starting to pay attention to him as a QB I believe he will get drafted in the 5th round and that he will get a shot at QB in someone's camp. In watching his passing verses others in FBS Armanti has great arm strength and incredible accuracy especially while running....His football IQ and field of vision are well above average for a QB and are as good as Brees was coming out of school.
As a sophomore I said no way, as a junior I said maybe as a wide receiver and now I'm never saying never.................With NFL rosters capped having a versatile player who can do as much as Antwan Randel El is very attractive.

BullDog85
November 15th, 2009, 10:30 PM
AE will have first looks at being a QB in the NFL no doubt. His speed and his passing accuracy on the run make him a potent threat at that position. These past two years AE has proven his passing credentials. AE has phenomenal field vision and is a first class athlete. I hope he and Andre' get to hook up on the same team and create an FCS combo - Hopefully at the Dolphins! I'll settle for the Panthers if they pick them both.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 09:15 AM
"Hopefully at the Dolphins! I'll settle for the Panthers if they pick them both. "

Doubtful with Dolphins since they have Pat White and the Panthers have no clue what a good QB even looks like and they have been pathetic in drafting WRs ----

HenZoneNation
November 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM
The Pro's seemed enamoured with Big Time schools and it really takes a great run in the playoffs, invitations to the right contests and bowl games (East/West, Senior Bowl), a strong performance at your prespective Pro day and the Combine to even get noticed. Look at Joe Flacco vs. Matt Ryan. Joe beat him soundly in all but one competition at the Quarterback Challenge and Ryan got picked 15 slots higher. Difference...Matt went to BC, Joe went to UD. Just look at this year and compare the two. Matt has Roddy White, Tony Gonzales, Michael Turner, and Jenkins and Joe has better stats than him. Had he not started out slow the first half of last season and been taken out of two games last year after the third period he would have rivaled Ryan last year.

I write this because if AE is going to get drafted and make a roster he has to lead you guys through multiple rounds of the playoffs, put up ridiculous numbers, and then have what I mentioned before fall into place.

Looking at some of the great, great players that have come out of the FCS, it's crazy that we're not taken more seriously but it's a sad fact...I'm pulling for him though.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
"The Dude Abides" - Greatest movie of all time!!!!

I really don't think a playoff run will have any consequences for Armanti - he is not an unknown - every football fan and scout knows who he is - I do agree with your points regarding Flacco and Ryan - take the big time school guy first ----

JMU Newbill
November 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM
OK I have already made several points on this topic (not necessarily just in this thread), but I will make another point.

Armanti Edwards is not DURABLE. He can barely make it through a season in FCS football. He has suffered from NUMEROUS injuries over the last few years (not counting the freak lawnmower incident). I question whether he could handle FBS level linebackers and the rigors of that level of competition, nonetheless the BEASTS that play in NFL. In the NFL, the kickers hit as hard as some of the people that he is taking currently shots from.

Not questioning Edwards toughness. He has played hurt and has performed well... in FCS. But in all reality, and trying to be non-biased, Edwards does not have the physical build or toughness to make it in the NFL. Sorry, he just doesn't.

Let the App State fans get all riled up, call me a CAA biased streamer thrower... but hopefully there is at least one level headed person out there that agrees. If there is someone from ASU that agrees, man, I don't know what I would do.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
OK I have already made several points on this topic (not necessarily just in this thread), but I will make another point.

Armanti Edwards is not DURABLE. He can barely make it through a season in FCS football. He has suffered from NUMEROUS injuries over the last few years (not counting the freak lawnmower incident). I question whether he could handle FBS level linebackers and the rigors of that level of competition, nonetheless the BEASTS that play in NFL. In the NFL, the kickers hit as hard as some of the people that he is taking currently shots from.

Not questioning Edwards toughness. He has played hurt and has performed well... in FCS. But in all reality, and trying to be non-biased, Edwards does not have the physical build or toughness to make it in the NFL. Sorry, he just doesn't.

Let the App State fans get all riled up, call me a CAA biased streamer thrower... but hopefully there is at least one level headed person out there that agrees. If there is someone from ASU that agrees, man, I don't know what I would do.

Well I don't think any of us (APP fans) would consider him an every-down QB in the NFL - at least not right now, but he can help a team who is open to his style of play - when most teams go to the "wildcat" it is 99% going to be a run - with AE in that position it's 50/50 and he is great at both ----

biggie
November 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM
3 injuries (including this week) and a lawnmower over 4 years, that isn't that bad.

One in practice before Mich and he played anyway, just missed some after it and came back too early and reinjured, still fine for playoffs/chamionship.

One that was late hits causing hip pointer and needing knee surgery after the season, still able to play 2 weeks later, though he shouldn't have.

One this past week when a DE hits him on the side of the knee while was throwing. Same hit takes Brady out for a year, AE might be able to play this coming week (but I doubt he will).

At the same time, if in the NFL as a QB teams will bulk him up and focus a little less on the running speed.

OL FU
November 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM

I am glad you found that. I will admit to my lack of knowledge on what the NFL looks for and all the tangible measurements that are required. he is certainly small and a lot of NFL hits might harm him. But he has great vision, a good enough arm and clearly makes the right decision on when to pass and when to run down the field. He is also dead on accurate. I think of all the "he is too small" QBs I have seen, he has the best shot of any of them. I don't know if he will be a QB but I certainly hope he gets his shot. He might surprise a lot of people.

ericsaid
November 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM

CAA BIASED STREAMER THROWERxbawlingxxbawlingx

PhoenixMan
November 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Not blazing? AE is the kind of player (and person also, from what i have read and heard) that can get it done at any level. There are a lot of awful QB's in the NFL, someone is a fool if he doesn't get a shot. But....if he takes off and runs in those tiny seams like he does now, some NFL LB will take his head off. He will just have to play a little differently, but he can play in the NFL, and as a QB.

ASUG8
November 16th, 2009, 03:10 PM

As much as I hate it, I may have to agree with you on this one. xbawlingx I look at a talent like Pat White and see the duties he's relegated to with the 'fins and wonder if that's not a similar role to what AE might fill. He's certainly the most explosive player I've seen at our level and a true game changer. That being said, you've got linemen in the NFL that outweigh him by 70 pounds and could probably chase him down. He's Mike Vick-like in his ability to move, a better passer IMO, but not as big - if he gained 15-20 lbs he'd be much less of a scrambler and would be forced into a pocket passer role, which kind of negates his appeal.

DLS
November 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
As much as I hate it, I may have to agree with you on this one. xbawlingx I look at a talent like Pat White and see the duties he's relegated to with the 'fins and wonder if that's not a similar role to what AE might fill. He's certainly the most explosive player I've seen at our level and a true game changer. That being said, you've got linemen in the NFL that outweigh him by 70 pounds and could probably chase him down. He's Mike Vick-like in his ability to move, a better passer IMO, but not as big - if he gained 15-20 lbs he'd be much less of a scrambler and would be forced into a pocket passer role, which kind of negates his appeal.

i disagree, he could easily add 15-20 lbs of muscle and actually be faster than he is. (on an nfl diet 15-20lbs is nothing)

ASUG8
November 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM
i disagree, he could easily add 15-20 lbs of muscle and actually be faster than he is. (on an nfl diet 15-20lbs is nothing)

Even at 15-20 lbs gained, he's probably 210 (and that may be generous).

biggie
November 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
He is then the same as Drew Brees. If AE is over 200lb I'd say he's fine at NFL QB.

ASUG8
November 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
He is then the same as Drew Brees. If AE is over 200lb I'd say he's fine at NFL QB.

I hope you're right - it hurt to type all this out xlolx One could always bring up Flutie in this conversation as well.

Hoyadestroya85
November 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I read an article that compares him to Seneca Wallace (Not a bad guy to be compared to.)

Here's What he has working for him

1. Production- The guy put up outlandish numbers
2. Intangibles- Armanti wins games.
3. Arm- He has demonstrated that he can make just about any throw.

What he has working against him

1. Injury history- Let's face it, he's not a can't miss prospect so teams are going to be much less lenient with him than other quarterbacks.
2. Style of offense- In the App. St. games I've watched, I can't ever remember AE taking a snap under center. That is a deal breaker for a lot of scouts (See: Harrell, Graham.) The spread also simplifies the reads for a quarterback. We don't know if he can work through progressions in a pro-style offense against a pro defense.
3. Level of Competition- As much as some people want to be delusional.. It does mean something. Very rarely do you find a player who can make the immediate switch, especially at the most difficult position on the field.
4. Lefthandedness- Not really a disadvantage but it's something that coaches as an annoyance because it can necessitate an offensive line to be shifted to protect a different blindside.

When you look at the quarterbacks with mobility that had some semblance of success in the NFL (Moon, Steve Young, Vick, Flutie, McNair) you notice that they all ran a conventional offense in college and that helped them out in the pros.

biggie
November 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
For the Competition all the FBS games over his 4 years have to help when compared to some other FCS programs. And in the playoffs every year so he had to play the best of the FCS as well.

Those have to be better than just playing socon, no FBS, and no playoffs.

DLS
November 16th, 2009, 04:03 PM
i think everyone needs to realize that ae is the exception to the rule. he always has been since day one.

tell me he couldnt start over any qb the panther's have.

biggie
November 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM
tell me he couldnt start over any qb the panther's have.
Well yeah, but so could I. xoopsx

DLS
November 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Well yeah, but so could I. xoopsx

i can't hate jake. he's a crappy qb, but he's my crappy qb.

AppAlum96
November 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I would be in hog heaven if the Panthers drafted AE. Or if the Chargers did. The Chargers have already had Darren Sproles teach them that size isn't everything.

JMU Newbill
November 17th, 2009, 06:08 AM

You can't honestly be comparing Drew Brees to AE. You guys are smoking something crazy down there in Boone.

Drew Brees succeeds in the NFL because he is a freak of nature. His smarts and THROWING ability are what make him successful despite his small stature. Do you see Brees running the spread option? Do you see Brees tucking and running for 20 yards a time? No. You see Brees picking about the best defenses in the world, throwing for 400 yards.

Oh yea, I know, AE threw for 400 yards against Eastern Virginia Medical School for the Blind, Deaf, and Dumb (insert FCS school in it's place). But if you think AE has a shot at doing that against an NFL offense.... oh why do I even bother.

ASUG8
November 17th, 2009, 07:03 AM
You can't honestly be comparing Drew Brees to AE. You guys are smoking something crazy down there in Boone.

Drew Brees succeeds in the NFL because he is a freak of nature. His smarts and THROWING ability are what make him successful despite his small stature. Do you see Brees running the spread option? Do you see Brees tucking and running for 20 yards a time? No. You see Brees picking about the best defenses in the world, throwing for 400 yards.

Oh yea, I know, AE threw for 400 yards against Eastern Virginia Medical School for the Blind, Deaf, and Dumb (insert FCS school in it's place). But if you think AE has a shot at doing that against an NFL offense.... oh why do I even bother.

Just look at his completion % and QB rating and....look at that.....he's #2 in the country for QB's, just behind Ryan Perrilloux - he's completed 72% of his passes and has a rating of 163.35. Even Scott Riddle is #17. If his play against FCS isn't an indicator of what he might do, then show me something else. I still think he needs to put on size, but he's making good choices (3 INT on the year) and could be a solid asset to a number of NFL programs.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-fcs-ind-passing-efficiency.html

DLS
November 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM

comparisons to brees were mentioned due to size not play. AND just like brees, armanti is a freak of nature in his own right as well.

he'll be given a chance to prove himself a failure at the pro level but obviously until then everything is purely speculation. there's alot of people out there smarter than you, saying that he can do it though.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 17th, 2009, 08:05 AM
JMU says "Oh yea, I know, AE threw for 400 yards against Eastern Virginia Medical School for the Blind, Deaf, and Dumb"

Wow, you know I had forgotten he put up those numbers against The Dukes - Impressive!!!!

seantaylor
November 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM
No one in their right mind believes AE is a QB in the NFL. He won't be. He has an average arm, and he is tiny. Nothing like Drew Brees.

biggie
November 17th, 2009, 08:32 AM
No one in their right mind believes AE is a QB in the NFL. He won't be. He has an average arm, and he is tiny. Nothing like Drew Brees.
Not even close to 'average arm'. But he is small, that's his ONLY mark against him.

But I know if you ever said anything nice your head would explode, so can't blame you.

DLS
November 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM

xreadx

PhoenixMan
November 17th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Let me say this once more....you can throw out the stats, height, weight, when talking about this guy. He has always defied the odds, so I wouldn't dare say he "can't" do anything. A great many NFL QB's are really bad (think Brady Quinn, Jake, and the list goes on) so someone is foolish to not give him a shot. Any pro scout will tell you that arm strength is important, but accuracy can make up for that. And, he doesn't have a weak arm, just not huge velocity like some NFL QBs.

19Duke97
November 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I think AE get's picked up in the late rounds, most likely as an "athlete". his injuries will cause some eyebrows to rise, but he is a gamer. At any position, he'll need to pack on some weight, 185 is too small unless you are lightning fast in the NFL (~4.2 speed). Don't think he will see much or any QB time. This thread reminds me a lot of Rodney, but AE has much more face time and recognition. I hope he stays healthy and gets to the combine to show his stuff.

appmaj
November 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM
i can't hate jake. he's a crappy qb, but he's my crappy qb.

As long as they keep the ball out of his hands...

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Armanti is going to fall into Colt Brennan Purgatory.. Colt played in a spread offense that simplified reads for him and had trouble adapting to the pro game. Colt was called to small even though he has four inches and 30 pounds on Armanti. Josh Cribbs is a difference maker in the pros, just not at QB. I don't think AE will ever be a three down QB, but I think he can still be a difference maker. If people are doubting Tim Tebow, Armanti sorta warrants being doubted because as much as I hate Florida, Tebow is superman.

biggie
November 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
If anything I think Tebow is a much worse passer than AE and that the spread is helping Tebow more. That and the very very good WRs Tebow has had. Tebow is bigger and can probably take more hits (just not to the head).

DLS
November 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Armanti is going to fall into Colt Brennan Purgatory.. Colt played in a spread offense that simplified reads for him and had trouble adapting to the pro game. Colt was called to small even though he has four inches and 30 pounds on Armanti. Josh Cribbs is a difference maker in the pros, just not at QB. I don't think AE will ever be a three down QB, but I think he can still be a difference maker. If people are doubting Tim Tebow, Armanti sorta warrants being doubted because as much as I hate Florida, Tebow is superman.

so youre saying every qb from a spread offense is garbage in the nfl?

JMU Newbill
November 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I think AE get's picked up in the late rounds, most likely as an "athlete". his injuries will cause some eyebrows to rise, but he is a gamer. At any position, he'll need to pack on some weight, 185 is too small unless you are lightning fast in the NFL (~4.2 speed). Don't think he will see much or any QB time. This thread reminds me a lot of Rodney, but AE has much more face time and recognition. I hope he stays healthy and gets to the combine to show his stuff.

AE has better pro potential than Landers ever had, as a qb, but that still doesn't mean he has a lot.

I said a long time ago if Pat White had a huge season, AE would get drafted. Pat White hasn't done anything at all this year. Pat White is WAY BETTER than AE. Argue if you want, but Pat White put up AE numbers against some of the best FBS teams in the country, not Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind.

DLS
November 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM
AE has better pro potential than Landers ever had, as a qb, but that still doesn't mean he has a lot.

I said a long time ago if Pat White had a huge season, AE would get drafted. Pat White hasn't done anything at all this year. Pat White is WAY BETTER than AE. Argue if you want, but Pat White put up AE numbers against some of the best FBS teams in the country, not Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind.

pat white put up ae RUSHING numbers.

very honest when i say i would take edwards over white every time.

Hoyadestroya85
November 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
so youre saying every qb from a spread offense is garbage in the nfl?

No, but name one Quarterback who's been solid in the NFL who came from a spread offense. Let alone a spread option offense. Flacco played in the spread but dude is 6'6 230 with arguably the best arm in the NFL. AE does not have flacco size or flacco's arm.

CrackerRiley
November 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I missed the game against the school for the deaf and blind. Was that this year or last season? I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with the games App plays.....

AppAlum96
November 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Too bad Gruden has decided not to coach next year. He's been studying the spread with the ASU coaching staff. I bet he'd consider drafting AE.

DLS
November 17th, 2009, 10:53 PM
No, but name one Quarterback who's been solid in the NFL who came from a spread offense. Let alone a spread option offense. Flacco played in the spread but dude is 6'6 230 with arguably the best arm in the NFL. AE does not have flacco size or flacco's arm.

hate to bring this name up again and again but he's just so d#mn hot right now, didnt drew brees come from the spread? what about vince young? kyle orton? arent more and more nfl teams using the spread now?

the spread is nothing new anymore.

Skjellyfetti
November 17th, 2009, 11:49 PM

You have a point with the spread option... but, just about every successful NFL offense runs a lot of spread... and they have been since the West Coast offense.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Pats-Eagles-2007-GiletteStadium.jpg/450px-Pats-Eagles-2007-GiletteStadium.jpg

^^
That would look pretty familiar to Armanti.

And App's offense has been closer to that in '08 and '09 than a spread option offense, imo.

Also, we have seen a lot of quarterbacks in the NFL in spread/West Coast type offenses with a lot of speed/escapability... and they've done quite well... Randall Cunningham, Brett Farve, Steve Young, Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, etc.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I missed the game against the school for the deaf and blind. Was that this year or last season? I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with the games App plays.....

Sure you remember them - they dressed in purple and gold and had JMU on their helmets ----

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 07:26 AM
pat white put up ae RUSHING numbers.

very honest when i say i would take edwards over white every time.

I agree ---- As I have stated before, APP and WV are my 2 favorite teams and I have seen most games played by both teams during the Pat White and AE era ---- I love Pat White, he is true hero to my state of birth HOWEVER Armanti Edwards is a better all around QB than Pat - Pat was an adequate passer at best - only one 300 hundred yard game in his 4 year career and he also had pro RBs in the backfield with him especially Steve Slaton - Without question if I had to pick one of the two to QB my game is would be Armanti and I love Pat for his 4 years of success and all the positive publicity he brought to "Almost Heaven" and I hope he plays in the NFL for a long long time ----

Hoyadestroya85
November 18th, 2009, 12:09 PM
hate to bring this name up again and again but he's just so d#mn hot right now, didnt drew brees come from the spread? what about vince young? kyle orton? arent more and more nfl teams using the spread now?

the spread is nothing new anymore.

The Brees point is a half decent one.. But I think Drew Brees was a horese of a different color. He's small, but he put up ridiculous passing numbers in a cold weather climate back when the Big 10 was still the Big 10 He won the Maxwell trophy and probably should have won the Heisman. He was also the National Academic Player of The Year. He also has 2 inches and (at least) 20 pounds on Armanti. The one thing about Edwards is.. I don't buy the fact that he's 185 pounds. He looks closer to 170.

A few Questions I have

1. How Many Snaps a game does he take under center?
2. How well does he throw the Deep Out? (or any deep sideline route)
3. Would you be confident that he'd stay healthy if he was getting hit four or five times a game by NFL linemen/linebackers?
4. How long does he wait to find a receiver before he tucks and runs?
5. Would you say that he's a mechanically sound quarterback?

biggie
November 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
The Brees point is a half decent one.. But I think Drew Brees was a horese of a different color. He's small, but he put up ridiculous passing numbers in a cold weather climate back when the Big 10 was still the Big 10 He won the Maxwell trophy and probably should have won the Heisman. He was also the National Academic Player of The Year. He also has 2 inches and (at least) 20 pounds on Armanti. The one thing about Edwards is.. I don't buy the fact that he's 185 pounds. He looks closer to 170.

A few Questions I have

3. Would you be confident that he'd stay healthy if he was getting hit four or five times a game by NFL linemen/linebackers?
5. Would you say that he's a mechanically sound quarterback?1. Never (maybe once or twice in first couple years)
2. Throws everything I've seen perfectly, especially in the last couple years
3. Yes as long as they don't go for the knees, never seen him be shaken by a hit above the waist
4. First 2 years it was short time and he tucked, last 2 years he stands until pressure comes, then runs with eyes downfield, tucks and runs as a last resort and there is an open lane
5. I haven't looked at his mechanics in detail, but nothing stands out to me as bad mechanics

AE looks like he weights less because he is solid muscle, probably 5% body fat, anyone that meets him in person says that. Still think he can get over 200 if he is concentrating on throwing over running.

How much have you watched him? Youtube and vimeo can help with film.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I will give you my opinions of your questions ---- here goes

A few Questions I have

1. How Many Snaps a game does he take under center? - None and I do think that is a drawback for him being an every play QB in the NFL
2. How well does he throw the Deep Out? (or any deep sideline route) - He has a strong arm and can make these passes - Our SoCon TV commentator is Sam Wyche former NFL QB and Super Bowl coach and he has said on several occasions that AE can make all the throws required for the NFL
3. Would you be confident that he'd stay healthy if he was getting hit four or five times a game by NFL linemen/linebackers? Who knows - he can take hits, his injuries have had nothing to do with hard hits - if fact, one thing he would have to change at the next level is not to look for defenders to run over which is what he does now - he is as tough a kid as I have ever seen play
4. How long does he wait to find a receiver before he tucks and runs? He has improved so much is this area over the last couple of years - he definitely has become more of a pocket passer however he is very accurate throwing on the run
5. Would you say that he's a mechanically sound quarterback? Yes, I have had coaches tell me he has a beautiful release - straight over the top - he can throw it on the line for 60 yards or float a pass over a LB and in front of the DB - He has great field awareness and doesn't make mistakes and he is a smart kid - will graduate in 3 1/2 years with a degree in graphic arts and design (I think)

PhoenixPhan06
November 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I've seen AE projected as a top 20 WR in the upcoming draft while Terrell Hudgins is projected somewhere in the 30's. I had to take a second look because I was sure there was a typo. I find it hard to believe that AE would be a better WR in the NFL than Terrell considering the body of work T-Mobile's put in over his stellar career. I'll give AE the speed advantage but as a WR, you have to be able to catch the ball and until he proves otherwise, he should be much lower than Hudgins on all the draft boards!!

DLS
November 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM

A few Questions I have

5. Would you say that he's a mechanically sound quarterback?

brees has barely 1" on him and weight is a non-issue as it can be gained or lost as needed. especially when we are talking about 15-20lbs. personally i think he's 190 but maybe that's just me having a hard time believing he can run over 220 LB's at 185. also, thanks for bringing up weather as boone gets a taste of everything plus a whole lot of wind. if he can play in boone weather, he can play in anything.

1. none
2. perfect
3. yes very confident
4. as long as need be. he doesnt scare easily.
5. absolutely

AppIAA
November 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I've seen AE projected as a top 20 WR in the upcoming draft while Terrell Hudgins is projected somewhere in the 30's. I had to take a second look because I was sure there was a typo. I find it hard to believe that AE would be a better WR in the NFL than Terrell considering the body of work T-Mobile's put in over his stellar career. I'll give AE the speed advantage but as a WR, you have to be able to catch the ball and until he proves otherwise, he should be much lower than Hudgins on all the draft boards!!

And how do you know he can't catch ball? Why is it that a lot of Elon fans take any shot they can get on AE? Inferiority complex?

AE played WR in high school before he was switched to QB in the middle of his junior year. Rumor has it, he was getting quite a few looks to be recruited as a WR before he made the change

He should at least be given the chance at QB and if he makes it in the NFL as one, that would be an amazing feat for an amazing person. Otherwise, he is going to be a great addition to any teams roster

WVAPPmountaineer
November 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM

There has to be something the Pros see that Hudgins is missing because I felt like he would be one of those FCS 1-AA guys the scouts would be talking about this year - Any clues what that might be? ----

PhoenixPhan06
November 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM
There has to be something the Pros see that Hudgins is missing because I felt like he would be one of those FCS 1-AA guys the scouts would be talking about this year - Any clues what that might be? ----

The biggest knock on Hudgins has always been his speed and I'm sure thats something that he's been spending a lot of time the last few off-seasons trying to improve. Right now I see him as a possession receiver in the NFL and a great red zone target.

I'm interested at how AE performs on his pro-day in a few months. Will he primarily focus on QB related drills or will he try and show off his pass catching and route running drills? Any thoughts on the possibility of him moving to the defensive side of the ball? He's such a great athlete that within the right system, he could find success in the NFL, I'm just not sure yet at what position.

Esko
November 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I honestly see Armanti fitting into a program the way Antwaan Randle El has. We know he's fast and has great field awareness and can pose as a double threat WR/QB that could work in regular sets and the Wildcat like offenses everybody is using. And honestly the only thing holding him back from being a full-on QB is his size.

phoenix3
November 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
www.nfldraftscout.com has him ranked 14 out of 132 QB's for the draft Look everyone on this thread is making valid points. Lets just all agree we want him to make it in the NFL how can any FCS fan not be pulling for him. Ill be rooting for him all the way!

Ditto. I think he will get a chance & what he makes of it is yet to be seen. Sounds like the makings of a great against all odds success story.

Esko
November 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I think all of us here (and all FCS fans) should always support our own when they get to the NFL no matter what team they played for. I love seeing Flacco and Hightower perform well in the NFL. (of course it helps that each of their last games were Losses to Appalachian xrotatehx) But it just helps to show that they can't keep considering FCS second tier when we churn out some great athletes that trump some of the FBS's star players....

jedmis10
November 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Way better my AdoubleS!

CamelCityAppFan
December 1st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Argue if you want, but Pat White put up AE numbers against some of the best FBS teams in the country, not Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind.

Dude, don't sell short the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind...when App hosted them, they were completely oblivious to the gameday atmosphere of Kidd Brewer Stadium. Totally neutralized the home field advantage.

gbhmt
December 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Dude, don't sell short the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind...when App hosted them, they were completely oblivious to the gameday atmosphere of Kidd Brewer Stadium. Totally neutralized the home field advantage.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

Skjellyfetti
December 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Not sure what this guy's credentials are... but, I like his opinion :D:

Sam from Jacksonville
In his four years at Appalachian State, Armanti Edwards has 74 passing TDs, 64 rushing TDs, 10,039 passing yards, 4,307 rushing yards and two national championships, with possibly a third this year. Yet, at 6-1, 185, he's not a top draft prospect, and most people have him pegged as a wide receiver. If he was still on the board at the Jags’ third-round pick, do you think he would be the pick? I'm an App State alumnus and 15-year Jaguars season ticket holder and I can't wait to see what Armanti can do at the next level.

Vic: You’re preaching to the choir. Edwards is one of the most exciting college football players I have ever seen. He should absolutely be a candidate for the Heisman Trophy. I don’t know where he fits in the draft, but he is the epitome of what I mean when I say small-market teams will have to be creative in the future; Edwards offers enormous creativity. The “Wildcat” was made for him. If I was a personnel director, I would target him. I would find out where he fits in the draft and I would make sure I take him a little ahead of that. The reward he represents is huge; the risk is small.

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=8529

WVAPPmountaineer
December 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Not sure what this guy's credentials are... but, I like his opinion :D:

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=8529

AGREED ----

whoanellie
December 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
punt returner, slot receiver, does not fit an NFL profile,
could win a few Grey Cups in CFL

Mountaineer#96
December 9th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Oh yeah well Terrell has poopy face.......

WVAPPmountaineer
December 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Well according to Sam Wyche - former NFL QB and Super Bowl coach, Armanti has all the tools to be an NFL QB - so at this point I choose to believe Sam

Baller1
December 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
just wanted to get my thoughts out there regarding AE after watching him play yesterday against my Griz!! I'm sure much of this has already been covered.....

I really hope he gets a shot at playing QB at the next level. Yes he is tiny, but so was Doug Flutie. He reminds me of a faster Flutie. Small guy with ALL the intangibles. What surprised me the most about "AE" was his arm. He has an absolute cannon and is VERY accurate on top of that. His throw to BJ Frazier with about 1:14 to go in the 4th was ridiculous.... throwing on the run, off one foot, across the field, in the snow and wind... and he sent a lazer between three very good pass defenders.... it was ridiculous http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB3jb35I_9Q (see the throw @ the 0:55 second mark on this video)

I'm sure its been discussed to no end, but before an NFL team makes him a slot reciever/return man.... GIVE AE A SHOT AT QB!!! even if its initially just in the wildcat....

Just a very impressed Montana fans opinion

AppStateSVX
December 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
i've heard rumor after rumor of the Panthers scouting him rather heavily

phoenixphanatic21
December 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Could be a lot like Brad Smith or Antaawn Randle El if you ask me.

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I'm ready to see where he ends up. I could see him being like Pat White and get drafted to run the wildcat. I know one thing though..I'm buying his jersey for whatever team he goes to!

Baller1
December 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I'm ready to see where he ends up. I could see him being like Pat White and get drafted to run the wildcat. I know one thing though..I'm buying his jersey for whatever team he goes to!

No disrespect to Pat White.... but after watching AE vs. my Griz yesterday.... AE is a much better Quarterback.... same type of athletes, but in terms of passing AE is far better.... and Pat White can really throw it....... huge misconception about Edwards is that he is a runner who can throw...... AE IMO is a PURE passing QB who just happens to be a freak athlete.... he is better than Pat White and given the opportunity to play some QB at the next level, it will become very evident

WVAPPmountaineer
December 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
i've heard rumor after rumor of the Panthers scouting him rather heavily

The Panthers couldn't spot a good QB if one dropped in their laps ----

CamelCityAppFan
December 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
The Panthers couldn't spot a good QB if one dropped in their laps ----

They ought to draft AE if they want to fill the stadium next year...LOT of App alums in NC & SC...

ASU_Fanatic
December 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I'm a diehard Panthers fan so I would love to see AE in Charlotte.

AppStateSVX
December 13th, 2009, 11:25 PM
diehard Falcons fan, but whoever drafts AE will have a new fan. period

bleedblue
December 14th, 2009, 07:28 AM
All of the QB's the app guys are using for comparison don't work. AE did not have the chance to put up crazy numbers against the better talent. So it is darn near impossible to say I saw both play and AE is better than Pat White. That is like saying AE can put up similar numbers in the NFL. No, there is a talent gap and when analyze a player you analyze the results. The results are affected by the talent around him and against him. Don't put a lot worth in what he did in FCS. What he did in the FCS gets him one thing and one thing only a chance! Hopefully he goes to play with the FBS guys in the All-Star games/competitions and does well. Also it gets him to the combine, which is huge for the NFL coaches/scouts. His measurables will help him get drafted or not. Bottom line what AE has done gets him a shot which is all you want. Here is were the debate begins. AE is fast but how fast, combine will answer that. I will guess 4.48 to 4.58 range. Oh by the way 6'4" 250lb Demarcus Ware ran 4.58 in his NFL combine so less the NT and DT everyone on the field is as fast or faster than AE. So his speed is less important. That takes him to a round 6 or 7 guy. His size 6' 185lb really hurts when you don't put up great numbers each week against the FBS talent, like Brees did, Flutie and White. Oh yeah his size. If AE had missed 4 games in 4 years durability would be a small issue but because he missed, on average, a couple games a year the question is huge in the minds on NFL folks. Wouldn't be a question in your mind? Arm strength is still a question and the combine will answer that one. My guess is he has average NFL arm strength. He has the intangibles but you have got to have the package to be an NFL QB. Again he will get his shot at QB but my guess is it will be with the thought he could be a WR/Wildcat guy. I don't think anyone drafts him with thought he will be a QB only. I can not take credit for all of theses thoughts. I got to have a conversation with someone that worked with Flacco during his predraft workouts and a lot of what I said were his words, just FYI. I hope he gets the shot that Josh Johnson got but even that is not working out to well for him. AE shining light on the world of FCS! Thanks and good luck.

Rekdiver
December 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM
AE will get drafted and get a look at a number of positions including QB. His decision making and arm strength are incredible. He will have to learn not to do some things in the NFL that he idd in college. What he does with his shot will remain to be seen, but he will get a shot and that is all he can ask for. I still say it will be a round 5-7 pick........

TokyoGriz
December 16th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Hope he ends up in Miami so he can play with our boys carpenter and Hillard! xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

ericsaid
December 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
There are a lot of good QB's this draft so i'd expect him to get a look from someone. It would be a mistake for the panthers to let him escape the Carolinas.

If some how they decided to coach and used him with Deangelo and Jonathon Stewart things could get nasty.

Rekdiver
December 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hope he ends up in Miami so he can play with our boys carpenter and Hillard! xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Can you imagine him on the Miami team with a couple of GRiz BUT remember Jake Long and Chad Henne from Michigan?

Edge316007
December 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
They ought to draft AE if they want to fill the stadium next year...LOT of App alums in NC & SC...

They don't need AE to fill their stadium. They've averaged a near capacity crowd the last few years.

JMU Newbill
December 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Can you imagine him on the Miami team with a couple of GRiz BUT remember Jake Long and Chad Henne from Michigan?

Can you imagine Pat White riding the bench at Miami? You know... the more talented qb that played at a higher level of competition in college and excelled?

So can I imagine AE at Miami with anyone? Sure. Same place as Marcus Vick ended up during his time there.

DLS
December 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Can you imagine Pat White riding the bench at Miami? You know... the more talented qb that played at a higher level of competition in college and excelled?

So can I imagine AE at Miami with anyone? Sure. Same place as Marcus Vick ended up during his time there.

"more talented"?

xcoffeex

ASUG8
December 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Wow, comparing AE to Marcus Vick is a stretch. Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me.......a common thread in the anti-ASU theme in most of your responses. It's OK to hate teams, pull against them, whatever - it really doesn't matter.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM

As my 2 favorite teams are APP and WVU, I saw most all games played by Pat and Armanti during their 4 years and I love Pat White but Armanti is the more talented of the two at what they did in college - Does that transfer to the NFL? - I have no idea
----

JMU Newbill
December 17th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Wow, comparing AE to Marcus Vick is a stretch. Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me.......a common thread in the anti-ASU theme in most of your responses. It's OK to hate teams, pull against them, whatever - it really doesn't matter.

You can call it whatever you'd like, but trying to push off the fact that Marcus Vick and Pat White were both more talented than AE is what it is... the truth. You ASU people love to try to use the whole "CAA bias" or "anti-ASU" sentiment in your arguments when you don't have anything legitimate to say. Vick and White both played at a MUCH higher level of competition and essentially dominated, or had the potential to dominate, the games they played in.

Now I absolutely HATE both Vicks, so don't think this makes me feel good to compare Vick to one of the greatest football players to ever play in FCS football. What AE did for FCS football will be talked about for decades to come. But whether any of you will actually concede it or not, he does not have the skill set to be a successful qb in the NFL, and certainly not on the Miami Dolphins (as was my original argument).

Let's look at it on a more broad spectrum. How many of these "athletic" qb's have been successful in the NFL? Vince Young is starting to come along, although in his rookie year when he was successful, his team's defenese was averaging a TD per game, and only giving up about 10 pts per game. Troy Smith? Ha, not so much. He may never see the field again. Marcus Vick? Practice squad material. Pat White? Sitting behind Chad Pennington and Chad Henne... is he even on the roster anymore? How about Chris Leak? He was somewhat athletic. Put up some great numbers at Florida, you know, one of those schools that won an FBS national championship. How's he doing in NFL? I'd go on, but there's no point. I can already sense the negative rep coming on....

Point of the story is this. Is it possible for an FCS qb to make it in the NFL... absolutely it is. Best two (recent) examples being Flacco and Romo. Does AE fit into that mold? No. Is he one of the greatest FCS football players of all time? Absolutely. Guess what... Tim Tebow is one of the greatest college football players of all time, how do you think he is going to do in the NFL?

WVAPPmountaineer
December 17th, 2009, 07:11 AM
You can call it whatever you'd like, but trying to push off the fact that Marcus Vick and Pat White were both more talented than AE is what it is... the truth. You ASU people love to try to use the whole "CAA bias" or "anti-ASU" sentiment in your arguments when you don't have anything legitimate to say. Vick and White both played at a MUCH higher level of competition and essentially dominated, or had the potential to dominate, the games they played in.

Now I absolutely HATE both Vicks, so don't think this makes me feel good to compare Vick to one of the greatest football players to ever play in FCS football. What AE did for FCS football will be talked about for decades to come. But whether any of you will actually concede it or not, he does not have the skill set to be a successful qb in the NFL, and certainly not on the Miami Dolphins (as was my original argument).

Let's look at it on a more broad spectrum. How many of these "athletic" qb's have been successful in the NFL? Vince Young is starting to come along, although in his rookie year when he was successful, his team's defenese was averaging a TD per game, and only giving up about 10 pts per game. Troy Smith? Ha, not so much. He may never see the field again. Marcus Vick? Practice squad material. Pat White? Sitting behind Chad Pennington and Chad Henne... is he even on the roster anymore? How about Chris Leak? He was somewhat athletic. Put up some great numbers at Florida, you know, one of those schools that won an FBS national championship. How's he doing in NFL? I'd go on, but there's no point. I can already sense the negative rep coming on....

Point of the story is this. Is it possible for an FCS qb to make it in the NFL... absolutely it is. Best two (recent) examples being Flacco and Romo. Does AE fit into that mold? No. Is he one of the greatest FCS football players of all time? Absolutely. Guess what... Tim Tebow is one of the greatest college football players of all time, how do you think he is going to do in the NFL?

As I noted earlier - What Aramanti and Pat and Tebow did in college doesn't translate "word for word" to the NFL - therefore I'm taking the NFL out of my argument - I hope AE gets a shot!!!! - Pat got a shot and we all know someone like hometown Jaxville with give Tebow a shot - Armanti was a better college passer than Pat White - Pat had ONE 300 yard game in his 4 years + Pat had 3 NFL running backs in the backfield with him in Steve Slaton, Owen Schmidt and Noel Devine - Your argument goes both ways - Yes, Pat played against better competition week in and week out - he also PLAYED WITH BETTER PLAYERS as noted above - Too many NFL types, more knowledgeable than you and me have said AE has the arm to play in the NFL - personally without him taking any snaps under center for 4 years I'm not sure he is destined to be an every down QB in the NFL any time soon - But he has weapons and hopefully someone will give him a place to show them ----

ASUG8
December 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Just look at his completion % and QB rating and....look at that.....he's #2 in the country for QB's, just behind Ryan Perrilloux - he's completed 72% of his passes and has a rating of 163.35. Even Scott Riddle is #17. If his play against FCS isn't an indicator of what he might do, then show me something else. I still think he needs to put on size, but he's making good choices (3 INT on the year) and could be a solid asset to a number of NFL programs.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-fcs-ind-passing-efficiency.html

Alrighty Newbill - tell me where I said he was absolutely getting playing time in the NFL. I really don't care about the cherry picking you've done in comparisons with Vick or White, because it seems like you're using the transitive property with individual players - they were good college players, but were busts in the NFL so therefore so will AE. The Vick comparison is confusing because of all the baggage the kid had - he had a lot of raw athletic talent, but the issues he brings to the bench are more than most coaches would be willing to tolerate (something AE doesn't have to worry about). AE has a great work ethic, is tough and athletic - as I noted earlier, I think he needs to put on size which I think he could do while maintaining his accuracy and agility. Heck, take a look at Heisman winning QB's over the last 20 yrs. - is winning the Holy Grail of FBS trophies really indicative of NFL success?
Maybe AE ends up on the practice squad - maybe he ends up actually using his major - who knows. But I feel certain he'll go into the combine with a level of competitiveness and determination that few will rival. Hopefully he lands on his feet.

And for the record, I don't neg rep people. Also, I'd invite you to look at your last couple of pages of posts regarding anything AE or ASU and tell me that your "anti-ASU" label is misplaced.

JMU Newbill
December 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Alrighty Newbill - tell me where I said he was absolutely getting playing time in the NFL. I really don't care about the cherry picking you've done in comparisons with Vick or White, because it seems like you're using the transitive property with individual players - they were good college players, but were busts in the NFL so therefore so will AE. The Vick comparison is confusing because of all the baggage the kid had - he had a lot of raw athletic talent, but the issues he brings to the bench are more than most coaches would be willing to tolerate (something AE doesn't have to worry about). AE has a great work ethic, is tough and athletic - as I noted earlier, I think he needs to put on size which I think he could do while maintaining his accuracy and agility. Heck, take a look at Heisman winning QB's over the last 20 yrs. - is winning the Holy Grail of FBS trophies really indicative of NFL success?
Maybe AE ends up on the practice squad - maybe he ends up actually using his major - who knows. But I feel certain he'll go into the combine with a level of competitiveness and determination that few will rival. Hopefully he lands on his feet.

And for the record, I don't neg rep people. Also, I'd invite you to look at your last couple of pages of posts regarding anything AE or ASU and tell me that your "anti-ASU" label is misplaced.

xthumbsupx

AppIAA
December 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Newbill is still bitter about Armanti winning the Payton over Landers..

Comparing Armanti to Pat White as a QB is not valid at all. Armanti is a better overall QB than Pat White was/is. Armanti can throw much better.. White may have better escape ability, but I would put there athletic ability on the same level. Say what you want, but I have personally seen both play live.

Armanti has the better passing, is smarter with the ball, and makes better decisions.

White is possibly a better runner (hard to tell since he played with 3 NFL caliber RBs that the other defenses had to key on as well), decent passer who makes poor decisions, and has a little size advantage.

Will Armanti be a QB in the NFL? Honestly, my gut instinct is saying no because of his size and the style of offense he is used to. Can he be? Absolutely -- with the right coaching.

For you to say AE will not get any chance at all is complete arrogance on your part in my opinion

CID1990
December 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
NFL scouts are not really giving AE a lot of consideration at QB. They ARE, however, looking at him as a potential receiver, and I think he would excel at that position in the NFL more than he would at QB.

Here's a link to one site that shows him ranked only slightly lower than Andre Roberts (who is the #1 draft prospect at WR from the FCS).

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/WR.php

Rekdiver
December 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Who knows better, posters on this site or NFL scouts? You would be surprised or maybe not. I can say this with all certainty. Armanti will get workouts at several positions INCLUDING quarterback. You don't get invited to a combine unless they have done some homework. If you know a scout ask them. I did.

WVAPPmountaineer
December 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
NFL scouts are not really giving AE a lot of consideration at QB. They ARE, however, looking at him as a potential receiver, and I think he would excel at that position in the NFL more than he would at QB.

Here's a link to one site that shows him ranked only slightly lower than Andre Roberts (who is the #1 draft prospect at WR from the FCS).

I am surprised you have this info because it totally contradicts what Coach Moore has said for the last several weeks - I have heard him on more than one occasion say basically this ---- At the beginning of the year the NFL scouts were looking at Armanti as an athlete - that has changed - they have realized he is a really good passer and they are now looking at him as a QB - and we have several scouts at every practice ----

CID1990
December 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I am surprised you have this info because it totally contradicts what Coach Moore has said for the last several weeks - I have heard him on more than one occasion say basically this ---- At the beginning of the year the NFL scouts were looking at Armanti as an athlete - that has changed - they have realized he is a really good passer and they are now looking at him as a QB - and we have several scouts at every practice ----

OK, time will tell. Personally I don't know why so many people are sensitive about it. The guy's a great athlete and he will get a shot in the NFL. Just don't anybody hold their breath that it will be at the QB position. There are too many reasons to list.

Skjellyfetti
December 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
There are too many reasons to list.

1. Size.
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

What would hold Armanti back from being a QB in the NFL other than his size?

WVAPPmountaineer
December 18th, 2009, 07:32 AM
1. Size.
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Not to try to answer for someone else but the only other thing I can come up with at this point is
2. Not taking any snaps under center, therefore not trained in the 3-5-7 drop step passing techniques that most of the pros love

ericsaid
December 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
I don't understand how Michael Vick could be considered a "bust" per se.

However AE will have some work to do between now and when he gets his first start at QB but he should do fine.

biggie
December 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Vick was a bust to me due to playing QB and not being a good passer.

JMUNJ08
December 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
1. Size. (NFL always goes for it over production and gets burned alot)
2. No Snaps Under Center (alot of QBs have this problem now)
3. FCS level (has held some players back at least for the draft)
4. Wildcat (may make him a WR/QB combo than a true QB)
5. Wonderlic????xlolx

I really think the NFL will try to find reasons not to draft him sadly, especially since some teams haven't found success with the wildcat.

BEAR
December 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Found this on cbssports.com:

Predicted NFL draft order:
Pick, overall rank by position
255 15 Armanti Edwards QB Appalachian State 5-11 185 7-FA 4.52 -- -- -- --
498 50 Cortez Gilbert CB Appalachian State 5-11 176 4.58 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
559 39 Anthony Williams DT Appalachian State 6-1 286 5.16 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
999 46 Jacque Roman ILB Appalachian State 5-11 240 4.83 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
999 74 Mario Acitelli OG Appalachian State 6-2 278

That puts Armanti as the 15th overall QB in the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings?&_1:col_1=5&print_rows=9999

Edge316007
December 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
Found this on cbssports.com:

Predicted NFL draft order:
Pick, overall rank by position
255 15 Armanti Edwards QB Appalachian State 5-11 185 7-FA 4.52 -- -- -- --
498 50 Cortez Gilbert CB Appalachian State 5-11 176 4.58 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
559 39 Anthony Williams DT Appalachian State 6-1 286 5.16 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
999 46 Jacque Roman ILB Appalachian State 5-11 240 4.83 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
999 74 Mario Acitelli OG Appalachian State 6-2 278

That puts Armanti as the 15th overall QB in the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings?&_1:col_1=5&print_rows=9999

Just an FYI...those rankings are for seniors only.

HenZoneNation
January 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I wonder if what happen to Pat White in last week's game is going to impact AE. Pat filled in for Henne and got knocked out trying to run for a first down. There have been a lot of comparisons between White and AE and I've seen how aggressive AE runs. That Dude can take a hit, but at the Pro level you have to wonder if what happened to WHIte the first time he was given full control of the offense won't impact the way teams look at AE. I hope not. I like seeing all these FCS QB's having success in the NFL.

Edge316007
January 5th, 2010, 01:34 PM
On the flip side, look at the day Brad Smith had.

Rekdiver
January 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM

I think you should know what you are talking about before you purport to have facts. AE IS getting good looks and evaluation at QB and the Vikings and Giants have both sent scouts down AND the scout who evaluated Drew Brees at Prudue has done the same. There is universal surprise of his capabilities and we will see him in some preseason exibition games.

WVAPPmountaineer
January 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I wonder if what happen to Pat White in last week's game is going to impact AE. Pat filled in for Henne and got knocked out trying to run for a first down. There have been a lot of comparisons between White and AE and I've seen how aggressive AE runs. That Dude can take a hit, but at the Pro level you have to wonder if what happened to WHIte the first time he was given full control of the offense won't impact the way teams look at AE. I hope not. I like seeing all these FCS QB's having success in the NFL.

Didn't see the hit but I do think your comparison of Armanti and Pat is correct - however the Dolphins then went to Tyler Thigpen of Coastal Carolina and while I thought he was a good passer in college, APP absolutely killed them both times we played them and if Tyler can make a NFL team, then AE should be able to as well
----

HenZoneNation
January 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM
It was a very bad hit. He was out before he hit the ground...I have no doubt he will be in the NFL. I wonder if this changes what position he will play. Brad Smith is 6'2 210. That's small for a QB but not AE, Pat White small.

ericsaid
January 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Seems the CAA fans on here call him too small. I saw a passing tree that showed all the passes an NFL QB should be able to make. I have seen Armanti hit every single route from every part of the field.

That's ultimately what it will come down to. However, how much money he makes may depend on his size as some teams may see it as a liability.

WVAPPmountaineer
January 12th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Seems the CAA fans on here call him too small. I saw a passing tree that showed all the passes an NFL QB should be able to make. I have seen Armanti hit every single route from every part of the field.

That's ultimately what it will come down to. However, how much money he makes may depend on his size as some teams may see it as a liability.

well not to sound like I have become a CAAer but EVERYONE has called him too small and by the template he is too small - now we all hope his superior talent will overcome that - there is one absolute as I have seen many a QB play in college who is now in the NFL and Armanti can make all the throws ----

appmaj
January 12th, 2010, 03:52 PM
How much can he help himself at the combine?

Edge316007
January 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM
well not to sound like I have become a CAAer but EVERYONE has called him too small and by the template he is too small - now we all hope his superior talent will overcome that - there is one absolute as I have seen many a QB play in college who is now in the NFL and Armanti can make all the throws ----

Scouts say he needs to bulk up, not grow. If he put on a few pounds to get close to Drew Brees size, I think he'd be fine.

How much can he help himself at the combine?

Dexter Jackson jumped a few rounds solely on what he did in the combine and offseason workouts.

CrackerRiley
February 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Don't know if this has been brought up already in this topic but I was looking at AEs combine profile tonight and they had a little bit that pisses me off. His weaknesses...

Edwards is undersized as a quarterback and at other potential positions at the next level. Struggled with his accuracy. If he was to remain under center, pro-style quarterback skills would need quite a bit of work. Is a pure projection prospect, who will have no position-specific game experience if asked to switch from quarterback.

Wasn't he one of the most efficient QBs in the country?! Don't know what games they watched. I've seen him drop some throws right into guys' arms.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/armanti-edwards?id=497110

SideLine Shooter
February 24th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Don't know if this has been brought up already in this topic but I was looking at AEs combine profile tonight and they had a little bit that pisses me off. His weaknesses...

Wasn't he one of the most efficient QBs in the country?! Don't know what games they watched. I've seen him drop some throws right into guys' arms.

Yes, and what gets me is that they say he is too short. He is close to 6'1" and Drew Breeze is 6' tall. Explain that.

'

CrackerRiley
February 24th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I've never had a problem with anyone dissing him due to his size. It's undeniable that he is way too small for a long term NFL position. I hope he can bulk up a little and show he deserves to be out there.

seantaylor
February 25th, 2010, 12:03 AM
If AE is over 5'11, Jayson Foster is 5'9

JMU Newbill
February 25th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Yes, and what gets me is that they say he is too short. He is close to 6'1" and Drew Breeze is 6' tall. Explain that.

'

And Brees also faced the exact same criticism coming out of college...except he won games at an FBS level in a tough conference, taking snaps from under center. Then he stepped up and showed NFL personnel that he was the real deal, and it hasn't been mentioned since.

If AE is worth what all you App fans make him out to be, size won't matter and he will prove himself.

JMU Newbill
February 25th, 2010, 06:44 AM
If AE is over 5'11, Jayson Foster is 5'9

Yea... just like they list Allen Iverson at 6'0". He isn't an inch over 5'9".

T-Dog
February 25th, 2010, 08:23 AM
We have another doubter.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/columns/story?id=4936346

"Finally, we're interested in seeing whether Appalachian State's Armanti Edwards gets in a lot of reps at receiver. A quarterback in college, Edwards projects as a slot guy in the NFL, and this is his opportunity to display the fluidity in space to make it as a receiver. If he shows he is willing to make the transition early in his career it will help him, because in our opinion he is nothing more than a poor man's Pat White and should not waste one second working as a quarterback.

Edwards is not as quick or big as White and likely wouldn't hold up as a Wildcat-type quarterback, and while we think he's a good athlete we're surprised at how explosive some people seem to think he is. In the end we look for him to come off the board late as a transitional project."

If being one inch taller, one-tenth of a second faster in the 40 and bench pressing 5 more pounds than the next guy was gospel, the Raiders would win every year.

AppIAA
February 25th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Yea... just like they list Allen Iverson at 6'0". He isn't an inch over 5'9".

Have you ever been up close to AE? He is easily 6'...

SideLine Shooter
February 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Have you ever been up close to AE? He is easily 6'...

Exactly, I'm 5' 12" and he is taller than I am.

smallcollegefbfan
February 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Edwards measured at 5'11 even at his junior pro day last year. It will be interesting to see what he measures at this week at the combine. If he is still 5'11 then some of you guys might not be as tall as you think you are. In fact, most people aren't. I would say on average people think they are an inch taller than they really are. The NFL measures a different way from what the normal person does. They get people as compact as they can when they measure. They get your true height without any socks, shoes, etc. on.

CrackerRiley
February 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Edwards measured at 5'11 even at his junior pro day last year. It will be interesting to see what he measures at this week at the combine. If he is still 5'11 then some of you guys might not be as tall as you think you are. In fact, most people aren't. I would say on average people think they are an inch taller than they really are. The NFL measures a different way from what the normal person does. They get people as compact as they can when they measure. They get your true height without any socks, shoes, etc. on.

Only an inch? I'd say most guys think they're like 3 inches longe... I mean taller.xcoolx

HenZoneNation
February 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Joe Flacco's stock went up a lot after the season had ended. He performed in the NFL QB Challenge and killed Ryan, Brohm, Henne, and Brennan in the drills they presented him with. The long distance toss was a joke. After that he did very well at the Combine...after that the rest is history. For AE to be considered a legit pick at QB he has to perform at the combine at a sick, sick level. Unlike players at the FBS level, if you take a chance with a FCS player and he is a disaster there isn't that leway. AE is a HUGE risk as a QB especially with how much Pat White struggled. He has to run routes well and catch the ball well or he is in very big trouble....here's hoping.

SideLine Shooter
February 25th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Joe Flacco's stock went up a lot after the season had ended. He performed in the NFL QB Challenge and killed Ryan, Brohm, Henne, and Brennan in the drills they presented him with. The long distance toss was a joke. After that he did very well at the Combine...after that the rest is history. For AE to be considered a legit pick at QB he has to perform at the combine at a sick, sick level. Unlike players at the FBS level, if you take a chance with a FCS player and he is a disaster there isn't that leway. AE is a HUGE risk as a QB especially with how much Pat White struggled. He has to run routes well and catch the ball well or he is in very big trouble....here's hoping.

I do understand all of this and the truth is he would be a tremendous risk for a GM or a Head Coach in the NFL. The chance of AE getting a legitimate opportunity in the NFL are probably 0 considering that risk. That is the fact. Nobody will risk their job on AE.

The people that have seen him perform such as Lloyd Carr, Chad Henne, Joe Flacco, just among a few might be saying he does not have what it takes to be an NFL QB or Player because they all know he is a very dangerous player.

KiddBrewer
February 25th, 2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/57125/low_profiles,_high_hopes_at_scouting_combine

T-Dog
February 27th, 2010, 09:58 AM
- Appalachian State QB Armanti Edwards' response when asked if he regrets not going to an FBS school: "I'm standing up here ain't I?"

xthumbsupx

Man the NFL media asks some stupid questions.

HenZoneNation
February 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM
xthumbsupx

Man the NFL media asks some stupid questions.

I couldn't agree more...It's like they're shocked everytime a player from FCS gets any hype at all. The list of great FCS players over the years is incredible and yet year in and year out players entering the league from the FCS have to field questions like that.

Good for AE...hope he kills at the combine.

ASUMountaineer
February 27th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I do understand all of this and the truth is he would be a tremendous risk for a GM or a Head Coach in the NFL. The chance of AE getting a legitimate opportunity in the NFL are probably 0 considering that risk. That is the fact. Nobody will risk their job on AE.

The people that have seen him perform such as Lloyd Carr, Chad Henne, Joe Flacco, just among a few might be saying he does not have what it takes to be an NFL QB or Player because they all know he is a very dangerous player.

If AE is taken 5th round or later (and he probably will be), there's very little risk.

SideLine Shooter
February 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM
If AE is taken 5th round or later (and he probably will be), there's very little risk.

Man, I was trying to make a point to all the negative comments. I'm in AE's corner all the way. People ARE afraid of what he might do and "Blow UP" the combine.xnodx

ASUMountaineer
February 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Man, I was trying to make a point to all the negative comments. I'm in AE's corner all the way. People ARE afraid of what he might do and "Blow UP" the combine.xnodx

I wish he hadn't tweaked his hamstring and could run at the combine. I've got it set to record tomorrow. xnodx

seantaylor
February 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Like I said, not an inch over 5'11. I don't see him getting drafted with those measurables.

asu3peat
February 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
ST, do you think the scouts will take into consideration that his arm length and hand size are both longer/larger than many of the QB's that are taller than him?

Arm Length:32 1/4 in.
Hand Size:9 1/2 in.

flea
February 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Did he take part in any of the drills?

AppIAA
February 28th, 2010, 03:52 PM
He participated in the passing drills.. had 2 "errant" throws -- one of which slipped (something that was happening to several of the Qbs).. looked very accurate, with good arm strength. Panthers and Falcons are on board as saying they were very impressed with him and he surprised them with his arm strength

AppStateSVX
February 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM
i would be overjoyed if the Falcons take him. Not sure where they would use him....but would love it

smallcollegefbfan
February 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM
ST, do you think the scouts will take into consideration that his arm length and hand size are both longer/larger than many of the QB's that are taller than him?

Arm Length:32 1/4 in.
Hand Size:9 1/2 in.

Those measurements are very good. The one thing that I know for a fact, from my talks with NFL personnel, will be his medical tests. If he has any damage in there and does not fully pass the medical exams then he will not get drafted. If he does pass them someone will take him. He is too good of an athlete and has the "it" factor that will force someone to select him. I am going to try and find out if he did pass the medical tests because that could affect his draft day chances even more than his height. Weighing 187 helped him. If he can weigh around 190 or so and run in the 4.4s at his pro day I think he moves up a little. Some NFL people are saying he will now have to move to WR because of his size so it would not shock me to see someone bring him in as a utility player or receiver.

seantaylor
March 1st, 2010, 12:40 AM
Not sure how arm length would have any positive bearing on a QB's ability. Longer arms don't help you out like it's bball. That would only make a longer windup. For lineman it would mean something, or receivers.

Syntax Error
March 1st, 2010, 01:28 AM
If AE is worth what all you App fans make him out to be... He is the only repeating Payton Award winner in FCS history. Not exactly an App thing. Though App has the only repeating Buchanan winner in history as well.

I couldn't agree more...It's like they're shocked everytime a player from FCS gets any hype at all. The list of great FCS players over the years is incredible and yet year in and year out players entering the league from the FCS have to field questions like that.

Good for AE...hope he kills at the combine.

X3

smallcollegefbfan
March 1st, 2010, 07:38 AM
Not sure how arm length would have any positive bearing on a QB's ability. Longer arms don't help you out like it's bball. That would only make a longer windup. For lineman it would mean something, or receivers.

You are right that long arms don't really have an effect on QBs. Having big hands is a plus though so that is good. Regardless, after seeing him throw at the combine, talking to NFL personnel and confirming he is just 5'11, as I thought, I believe teams are going to move him to WR and not give him a shot at QB.

JMU Newbill
March 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Final verdict was in for me when I found out he hurt his hamstring and wasn't running the 40. Questionable FCS quarterback (all FCS qb's are questionable), small stature, little/no experience under center, AND you can't show a good 40 time to prove your biggest asset.... sorry but I just can't see how you can be but so optimistic.

AppIAA
March 2nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Final verdict was in for me when I found out he hurt his hamstring and wasn't running the 40. Questionable FCS quarterback (all FCS qb's are questionable), small stature, little/no experience under center, AND you can't show a good 40 time to prove your biggest asset.... sorry but I just can't see how you can be but so optimistic.

40 and WR workouts will be done at the pro day..

Scouts were impressed with his throwing.. very impressed actually.. Optimism is valid here, but he will be drafted as an athlete, not a qb

UNHFan99
March 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
I think Armanti is the greatest FCS player ever. That being said I think the App fans are going through the same pain that UNH fans went through with Dave and Rick.

Also. dont say they arent on Armanti's level because I can refer to them in first name and you know exactly who I am talking about.

I hope he makes it, but I think the Pat White comparisons hurt him greatly. He has to run a great 40.

WOCO
March 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
I think Armanti is the greatest FCS player ever. That being said I think the App fans are going through the same pain that UNH fans went through with Dave and Rick.

Also. dont say they arent on Armanti's level because I can refer to them in first name and you know exactly who I am talking about.

I hope he makes it, but I think the Pat White comparisons hurt him greatly. He has to run a great 40.

who are dave and rick?

smallcollegefbfan
March 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
who are dave and rick?

Ricky Santos. Not sure on who Dave is.

danefan
March 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM

David Ball.....you know that unknown receiver that broke Jerry Rice's record for TD receptions.

AppIAA
March 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM

David Ball

smallcollegefbfan
March 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
David Ball.....you know that unknown receiver that broke Jerry Rice's record for TD receptions.

Ah I was thinking QB for some reason. Duh! I am slow today!

Syntax Error
March 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM

Uh, Dave from UNH. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder who the UNH member is talking about?

seantaylor
March 3rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Adrian Peterson is the best FCS player of all time.

phoenix3
March 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
I think AE has what it take to make it in the NFL from a talent standpoint. I'm just hope he can hold up. I think durability may be what makes him go in the 4th - 7th rounds. I'm not sure he will be able to stand the hits he'll take. I certainly am rooting for him though.

Adrian Peterson may have been the best FCS player but he is far far from the best NFL player from the FCS.

AppIAA
March 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I think AE has what it take to make it in the NFL from a talent standpoint. I'm just hope he can hold up. I think durability may be what makes him go in the 4th - 7th rounds. I'm not sure he will be able to stand the hits he'll take. I certainly am rooting for him though.

Adrian Peterson may have been the best FCS player but he is far far from the best NFL player from the FCS.

Late hits are actually called in the NFL, so his durability won't be an issue xsmiley_wix

Just kidding, this is what I worry about as well with him

bleedblue
March 6th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I saw AE, to much, Brian Westbrook, to much, and AP and I thought Westbrook was all around the best followed closely by AE. I gotta say I thought AE threw really well. Just as good as the others and better than most. He also looked like he added some muscle weight. I am no APP fan but I just love when the FCS boys do well. Sucks about his hammy. A 4.4 40 would have looked nice on the stat sheet of the combine. Prodays for FCS just don't carry the same weight as the NFL combine. Go gettem AE!!

AppStateSVX
March 6th, 2010, 09:52 PM
it's really frustrating reading the scouting reports saying Armanti struggled with his accuracy.....I have NEVER seen that be a problem. I watched EVERY game he played in too.

it seems that all Dual Threat QB's get that automatically lumped into their report.

WOCO
March 7th, 2010, 08:48 AM
AE's, situation reminds me of of woffords andy strickland. Andy was a standout WR for us and anybody that played against him knew he could play on the next level. (I know, a WR from wofford) He got cut in the jaquars camp because of an injury in 09 but ended up getting picked up by the falcons and now he is going to be under contract for next year. AE just needs to get a chance. If he gets a shot they wont be able to keep him off the field.

Skjellyfetti
March 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM
AE has zero shot at playing QB in the NFL. He is tiny, and is nowhere near as fast as Pat White.

He's faster. :D

AE runs mid 4.4 at his Pro Day today.
Pat White runs 4.55
http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2010/03/asus-edwards-works-out-for-10-teams.html

seantaylor
March 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
He's faster. :D

AE runs mid 4.4 at his Pro Day today.
Pat White runs 4.55
http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2010/03/asus-edwards-works-out-for-10-teams.html

Pro Day times mean basically nothing when comparing them to combine times. The rule of thumb is to add .15-.20 to Pro Day times to get the electronically timed speed.

smallcollegefbfan
March 17th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Pro Day times mean basically nothing when comparing them to combine times. The rule of thumb is to add .15-.20 to Pro Day times to get the electronically timed speed.

Indy is an average surface, not slow, so if you have hand held times on players from Indy and compare to ones at the pro day you can make a fair comparison. The only thing I will point out though is that many players run better at pro days because they are not as nervous so you could likely knock .10 off White's time.

Here are the official measurements and hand held times on both players.

AE- 5'11, 182 pounds, 4.43-4.47 40
White- 6'0 1/4, 197 pounds, 4.55-4.60.

You could argue that White would have ran 4.50 or a little better at his pro day. I would say they are very close in speed and AE is not a lot faster than White. The one element everyone is missing here is that AE did not run at the combine and his 4.43 today would likely be faster than what he would have run at Indy as many players are nervous, run tight, etc. at the combine and are much looser and usually have adrenaline running through them at pro days because they want to prove a bad time they ran at the combine was not indicative of what they can run.

AppAlum2003
March 17th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Indy is an average surface, not slow, so if you have hand held times on players from Indy and compare to ones at the pro day you can make a fair comparison. The only thing I will point out though is that many players run better at pro days because they are not as nervous so you could likely knock .10 off White's time.

Here are the official measurements and hand held times on both players.

AE- 5'11, 182 pounds, 4.43-4.47 40
White- 6'0 1/4, 197 pounds, 4.55-4.60.

You could argue that White would have ran 4.50 or a little better at his pro day. I would say they are very close in speed and AE is not a lot faster than White. The one element everyone is missing here is that AE did not run at the combine and his 4.43 today would likely be faster than what he would have run at Indy as many players are nervous, run tight, etc. at the combine and are much looser and usually have adrenaline running through them at pro days because they want to prove a bad time they ran at the combine was not indicative of what they can run.

That still puts an end to seantaylor's comment that AE is "nowhere near as fast as White". At worst, they're just as fast.

Imagine that... an unfounded, opinion-laced comment from seantaylor that in no way contains any "facts" or "statistics"

AppIAA
March 17th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Imagine that... an unfounded, opinion-laced comment from seantaylor that in no way contains any "facts" or "statistics"

I guess there really are firsts for everything xsmiley_wix

biggie
March 17th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Since this was broken down into details, they mentioned heavy wind in Boone yesterday. Did he run outside?

AppStateSVX
March 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
anyone have any info on what 10 teams attended the Pro Day?

ATL, ATL, ATL!!!!

AppAlum2003
March 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
anyone have any info on what 10 teams attended the Pro Day?

ATL, ATL, ATL!!!!

Carolina, Kansas City, Buffalo, Washington, Detroit, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Philadelphia and Cleveland.

And he has a workout scheduled (as a quarterback) with xthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxNew England this week.

AppStateSVX
March 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM
ugh. I had my hopes after hearing rumors of Atlanta showing interest.

CornCobPipes
March 21st, 2010, 02:05 PM
That still puts an end to seantaylor's comment that AE is "nowhere near as fast as White". At worst, they're just as fast.

Another thing that pisses me off is all the misinformation on AE's height. One source says he is 5'10" another 6'0" another 5'11". Even the official NFL combine measurement was incorrect at least in what is listed or stated due to rounding.

I will bet $ with anyone on this!

Armanti is ACTUALLY 5'11-1/2" tall

His arms are longer than Drew Brees and he has large hands for his size, so this compensates for being a fraction of an inch shorter than Drew Brees meaning he plays taller than Drew Brees and arguably Vick and others. There have been lots of QBs in the NFL that were shorter than AE however one can argue from different eras ala Fran Tarkenton. But, even in past eras the defensive and offensive lineman were just as tall as they are now. The biggest change has been speed and hey AE has more speed than virtually any NFL QB ever! besides Vick. The only negative towards AE that carries any value should be about his lower torso weight in the fact he has skinny legs. Otherwise AE has greater talent from athleticism, speed, throwing mechanics, footwork, arm strength to mental toughness, competiveness, football smarts as any talent EVER coming out of college. If someone argues level of competition take a look at two national championships and the Michigan victory. Besides how many former FCS-(I-AA) players played against any better competition in college to become highly successful in NFL. Would anyone of predicted Walter Payton to be what he was and he was mighty **** small.

CornCobPipes
March 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStateold299

Do your remember Ed " Too Tall" Jones?

phoenix3
March 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStateold299

Do your remember Ed " Too Tall" Jones?

Ed Too Tall Jones wouldn't be called "Too Tall" in the current football era. "Kinda Tall" maybe.

CornCobPipes
March 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUG8

Point of the story is this. Is it possible for an FCS qb to make it in the NFL... absolutely it is. Best two (recent) examples being Flacco and Romo. Does AE fit into that mold? No. Is he one of the greatest FCS football players of all time? Absolutely. Guess what... Tim Tebow is one of the greatest college football players of all time, how do you think he is going to do in the NFL? [QUOTE]

I buy your points even though you are a JaMU...lol.

But I think AE deserves at least a shot at QB first! You never know what someone can do until given a chance. No one would have predicted the successes of tons of NFL talent coming out of smalller college programs that ended up Hall of Famers.

CornCobPipes
March 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Ed Too Tall Jones wouldn't be called "Too Tall" in the current football era. "Kinda Tall" maybe.

How do you figure?

I dont know of any players potentially taller today. I dont even think Julius Peppers is taller.

smallcollegefbfan
March 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM
Another thing that pisses me off is all the misinformation on AE's height. One source says he is 5'10" another 6'0" another 5'11". Even the official NFL combine measurement was incorrect at least in what is listed or stated due to rounding.

I will bet $ with anyone on this!

Armanti is ACTUALLY 5'11-1/2" tall

His arms are longer than Drew Brees and he has large hands for his size, so this compensates for being a fraction of an inch shorter than Drew Brees meaning he plays taller than Drew Brees and arguably Vick and others. There have been lots of QBs in the NFL that were shorter than AE however one can argue from different eras ala Fran Tarkenton. But, even in past eras the defensive and offensive lineman were just as tall as they are now. The biggest change has been speed and hey AE has more speed than virtually any NFL QB ever! besides Vick. The only negative towards AE that carries any value should be about his lower torso weight in the fact he has skinny legs. Otherwise AE has greater talent from athleticism, speed, throwing mechanics, footwork, arm strength to mental toughness, competiveness, football smarts as any talent EVER coming out of college. If someone argues level of competition take a look at two national championships and the Michigan victory. Besides how many former FCS-(I-AA) players played against any better competition in college to become highly successful in NFL. Would anyone of predicted Walter Payton to be what he was and he was mighty **** small.

Edwards actually measured in at 5'10 7/8 at the combine and 5'11 even at the pro day. He ran a 4.41 and 4.44 in the 40, posted a 34.5 vertical, 10'3 broad jump, 4.19 short shuttle, 6.74 3-cone, and 13 reps.

JMU Newbill
March 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
Edwards actually measured in at 5'10 7/8 at the combine and 5'11 even at the pro day. He ran a 4.41 and 4.44 in the 40, posted a 34.5 vertical, 10'3 broad jump, 4.19 short shuttle, 6.74 3-cone, and 13 reps.

I don't think anyone was ever questioning his athleticism.

People are just questioning his height, ability to run a pro-style offense, ability to take snaps from under center, ability to play a faster game (pro game is much faster than the FBS game, and thus 10000x faster than the FCS game), accuracy (and don't give me his completion % stats from the North Carolina Central game, I want to see him hitting pro-caliber receivers facing pro-caliber coverage with pro-caliber pressure), ability to survive after being hit by someone like Ray Lewis, and that probably about covers it.

Regardless of your stance on any of these, I think we can all agree that his height need not be questioned. His documented arm length and hand size, as well as the success of the likes of Drew Brees, make the height argument fairly unsustainable in and of itself.

The other points that people are arguiing, well... there are two sides to every argument.... right?

DLS
March 22nd, 2010, 02:34 PM
I don't think anyone was ever questioning his athleticism.

People are just questioning his height, ability to run a pro-style offense, ability to take snaps from under center, ability to play a faster game (pro game is much faster than the FBS game, and thus 10000x faster than the FCS game), accuracy (and don't give me his completion % stats from the North Carolina Central game, I want to see him hitting pro-caliber receivers facing pro-caliber coverage with pro-caliber pressure), ability to survive after being hit by someone like Ray Lewis, and that probably about covers it.

Regardless of your stance on any of these, I think we can all agree that his height need not be questioned. His documented arm length and hand size, as well as the success of the likes of Drew Brees, make the height argument fairly unsustainable in and of itself.

The other points that people are arguiing, well... there are two sides to every argument.... right?

i saw him get rocked a number of times by LSU's dline and i cant remember how many "pro caliber" players they had but he showed no fear at all. as far as accuracy is concerned, it's not a concern. he throws as accurate as anyone else if not more. hits recievers in perfect stride on the regular, while on the run or in the pocket, you name it he does it.

his ability to play in a faster game would have better chances than anyone else's from the fcs since he is better than anyone else from the fcs. also saw interviews with edwards stating that taking snaps under center wasnt hard at all, so not too worried about that.

the only legit question you have is "can he run a pro offense" and that is unknown but he will most likely be playing in a wildcat formation for at least the first part of his career and he's a smart kid so not too worried about that either.

CornCobPipes
March 22nd, 2010, 09:51 PM

Read this attached article thoroughly. To me this article says he was actually measured 5'11-7/8" tall.
( Especially read the NOTES: at the top of the column about explaining height notations "5017" = 5'11-7/8" )

I know guys that measure 6'0" exactly that I have seen stand beside him and they themselves felt Armanti was taller. But they looked about the same to me its just when someone is your own height they look taller to you when you are looking at them. Personally I am 6'3" so looked short to me. So I dont doubt the above combine measurement.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/03/01/scouting-qbs-nfl-combine/

boonegoon
March 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
Read this attached article thoroughly. To me this article says he was actually measured 5'11-7/8" tall.
( Especially read the NOTES: at the top of the column about explaining height notations "5017" = 5'11-7/8" )

I know guys that measure 6'0" exactly that I have seen stand beside him and they themselves felt Armanti was taller. But they looked about the same to me its just when someone is your own height they look taller to you when you are looking at them. Personally I am 6'3" so looked short to me. So I dont doubt the above combine measurement.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/03/01/scouting-qbs-nfl-combine/

Looking at the article it says his arm strength was poor. This conflicts with what John Clayton and others have said. Which is it?

Mr. C
March 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Looking at the article it says his arm strength was poor. This conflicts with what John Clayton and others have said. Which is it?

This anonymous writer (no byline anywhere in the article) didn't show much of a clue in his evaluations. Anyone who has watched Edwards in person, or on film, knows arm strength is NOT a problem. Ask the folks from McNeese State what they thought of Edwards' arm strength.

This writer immediately shows his bias about "small-school quarterbacks" when he talks about John Skelton earlier in the article:

"But what he needs to improve on is his sense of timing. That's one thing that you normally see with small-school quarterbacks -- they don't get the ball out quickly enough."

The writer just fell prey to the same junk as a lot of other evaluators with Edwards, focusing on his size and immediately saying Edwards needed to change positions. Depending on where Edwards lands in the draft (my sources lead me to believe third or fourth round), he could very well be selected as a quarterback, or at the very least a wildcat-hybrid-type player. Several teams (the Carolina Panthers being at the top of the chart in terms of interest) are interested in him as a quarterback.

boonegoon
March 23rd, 2010, 01:10 PM
This anonymous writer (no byline anywhere in the article) didn't show much of a clue in his evaluations. Anyone who has watched Edwards in person, or on film, knows arm strength is NOT a problem. Ask the folks from McNeese State what they thought of Edwards' arm strength.

This writer immediately shows his bias about "small-school quarterbacks" when he talks about John Skelton earlier in the article:

"But what he needs to improve on is his sense of timing. That's one thing that you normally see with small-school quarterbacks -- they don't get the ball out quickly enough."

The writer just fell prey to the same junk as a lot of other evaluators with Edwards, focusing on his size and immediately saying Edwards needed to change positions. Depending on where Edwards lands in the draft (my sources lead me to believe third or fourth round), he could very well be selected as a quarterback, or at the very least a wildcat-hybrid-type player. Several teams (the Carolina Panthers being at the top of the chart in terms of interest) are interested in him as a quarterback.

I have to agree. Arm strength seemed to never be a problem. Just want to see the kid succeed at the next level.

Rekdiver
March 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
There is only one concern. Durability. he cannot lower his head in the NFL.
Not one coach at the combine or scouts have addressed any concerns about accuracy, arm strength deilvery or speed or Football IQ.

Can he find the open receiver and will he survive the hits is what training camp and preseason will tell. He will be drafted. I hope he's in Charlotte, Philly or Baltimore........If he goes to someplace like Cleveland he's a goner.......

He impressed the scouts enough to get his shot at QB as well as WR and KR.
What he does with it will be his alone to decide........

Skjellyfetti
March 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
Great writeup on AE:

Describing Edwards as a player is tough. How do you explain a roller coaster ride to someone who's never been on one? We'll start with Edwards the runner. He is unbelievably elusive. He can make multiple tacklers miss on a given play. There are times when he seems to have eyes in the back of his head. He is quick and fast. The most impressive thing is his toughness. Edwards is small, but doesn't shy away from contact and is strong enough to break some arm tackles. His best performance was when he set the I-AA record for rushing yards by a quarterback. Edwards did that in a national semi-final game when he ran for 313 yards against Richmond. He also scored four touchdowns.

People see him run in games like that and assume he can't be a passing threat. Wrong. He is deceptively good as a passer. Edwards has a good arm. His passes have zip and he generally throws tight spirals. He can be deadly accurate. Mechanically, he's sound some of the time. Edwards can be a good pocket passer, but also likes to move around. He gets sloppy when throwing on the move at times because he will try to make some crazy throws.

Aside from his size, Edwards' desire to make plays is his main weakness. NFL quarterbacks are taught to dump the ball off to a running back. Edwards always believed he could pull a rabbit out of his hat if he could just keep the play alive. Remember Donovan McNabb's 14-second play against Dallas in 2004? Edwards has tried similar stuff in his career. He pulls it off some of the time, but also will throw some bonehead interceptions. He will take some dumb sacks because of his refusal to just throw the ball away.

Edwards would be an interesting prospect for the Eagles. He has the passing skills needed to run our offense. He has the athletic ability we like in our quarterbacks. Edwards is a natural leader and he's a winner. He was truly a special player at the I-AA level. He could come here and run the Wildcat offense. He could be used on punt returns or even kickoff returns if needed. If he doesn't work out at quarterback, you can always convert him to a slot receiver. He has the athletic ability to play receiver at the pro level. Edwards isn't likely to be taken before the fifth round. It is possible that he could go undrafted. We'll find out if the "it factor" he had in college is enough to get him picked by an NFL team. Don't overlook this kid, whether he's an Eagle or plays for another team. Edwards might just be good enough to make it in the NFL.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=20554

I hope he ends up an Eagle or Panther.

ericsaid
March 23rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
I personally would believe that Philly would be the best place he could go to learn how to use his specific skill set to learn the position.

Learning behind possibly two seasoned veterans with the same skill sets can only help him. The thought of Edwards learning from Vick and Mcnab should be enough to have the Eagles interests high.

smallcollegefbfan
March 24th, 2010, 12:54 PM

That was a typo. He is 5107 which is 5'10 7/8. 5017 would be 5'1 7/8 and we know he is not that short.

For those who say they are shorter than Edwards and they are 6'0, well they are not measuring correctly. Probably need to take off their shoes, socks, and tilt their straight and they would lose an inch on their height, just most players do. In fact, I would say 80 percent of the players out there are an inch shorter than their school lists them because the NFL measures to get your exact height with nothing on you and they don't let you tilt your head up for that extra half inch or so like most people do.

ericsaid
March 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Not to get off topic. But if Armanti is really that short how short is the rest of the team. Rod Chisholm must be 5'7 Deandre about 5'8. I'd think he plays closer to 6'.

smallcollegefbfan
March 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Not to get off topic. But if Armanti is really that short how short is the rest of the team. Rod Chisholm must be 5'7 Deandre about 5'8. I'd think he plays closer to 6'.

Well it depends. With ASU you never know. Sometimes a player is 1/8 or so above his listed height and sometimes they are an inch shorter and I have even seen some players measure in at an inch and a 1/4 shorter than they are listed. The general rule of thumb when estimating is to take an inch and 5-10 pounds off what a school says. Then you have some schools who don't update their sizes on a player every year and they are listed at 175 when they are now a senior and weigh 195. I can guarantee you that most people aren't as tall as they think they are. If Rod is listed at 5'9 I would bet he is 5'8. Like I said, speaking in general, take an inch off when you estimate. Then if the player is the exact height he is listed then it is just a plus for them.

Rekdiver
March 24th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Someone said: "[I]For those who say they are shorter than Edwards and they are 6'0, well they are not measuring correctly. [/[/"]

Doesn't surprise me at all that some of you folks measure incorrectly..............I'm not saying anything else................

ericsaid
March 25th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Well it depends. With ASU you never know. Sometimes a player is 1/8 or so above his listed height and sometimes they are an inch shorter and I have even seen some players measure in at an inch and a 1/4 shorter than they are listed. The general rule of thumb when estimating is to take an inch and 5-10 pounds off what a school says. Then you have some schools who don't update their sizes on a player every year and they are listed at 175 when they are now a senior and weigh 195. I can guarantee you that most people aren't as tall as they think they are. If Rod is listed at 5'9 I would bet he is 5'8. Like I said, speaking in general, take an inch off when you estimate. Then if the player is the exact height he is listed then it is just a plus for them.

I'm going not by taking an inch off their listed height. I'm saying if Armanti is 5'10 and 7/8 and he looks that much taller than those players. Then Devon Moore is about 5'8 Chisholm 5'7.

Armanti will get his shot at Qb. If he shows he can be as effective as Pat White throwing the ball before the preseason with his speed I don't see why they would want to move him. His production will be cut down significantly by placing him as a wide reciever.

He's a special QB, keep him that way.

tribefan40
March 31st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Too small. Too Ugly.

SideLine Shooter
March 31st, 2010, 12:32 PM
Too small. Too Ugly.

Now, here are some words from a true football genius. xlolxxnodxxlolxxnodxxlolxxrotatehx:p

now read my sig.

xhurrayxxbangxxbangx

CrackerRiley
March 31st, 2010, 08:54 PM
Too small. Too Ugly.

hmmm, this would be my L-O-L of the day but I already witnessed a girl face plant into some dog **** so.....xchinscratchx

Rekdiver
April 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
He has to be a math major......

DLS
April 7th, 2010, 12:20 PM
just saw that edwards was bumped up to #4 QB in ProFootballWeekly's Draft publication.

his rank is 5th on their website but 4th in their magazine. also have him going as early as the 3rd round.

SideLine Shooter
April 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM
just saw that edwards was bumped up to #4 QB in ProFootballWeekly's Draft publication.

his rank is 5th on their website but 4th in their magazine. also have him going as early as the 3rd round.

That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!

smallcollegefbfan
April 7th, 2010, 03:43 PM
That would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Anywhere from late 3rd to PFA would not shock me. A lot depends on his medical exams. If there is nothing that causes him to fail them then I believe he will go in the top 150 selections.

SideLine Shooter
April 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Anywhere from late 3rd to PFA would not shock me. A lot depends on his medical exams. If there is nothing that causes him to fail them then I believe he will go in the top 150 selections.

He certainly has that IT factor. He deserves that opportunity.

smallcollegefbfan
April 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM
From what I'm hearing he has passed the medical and likely goes in the 3rd or 4th round. Among the teams showing heavy interest include the Colts, Panthers, Redskins, Broncos, Falcons, Dolphins, Ravens, and Eagles.

Skjellyfetti
April 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
From what I'm hearing he has passed the medical and likely goes in the 3rd or 4th round.

This is GREAT news! Thanks for sharing.

AppStateold299
April 12th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I think the panthers would be the best fit. I mean he would have a built in fan base and they need a QB threat. Not saying he is going to step in and be an all-star, but he could step in and have an impact. I mean he did go up against Joe Flacco and came out shinning like a star. He should go to a so so team and he could have an immediate impact (if given a chance).

AppStateSVX
April 13th, 2010, 04:28 PM
reports showing that he visited with the Falcons last week.

YES!!!!!

DLS
April 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM
another AE video from the mcneese state and richmond games last season. last play is amazing

http://draftnasty.com/index.php?cID=1667

SideLine Shooter
April 15th, 2010, 05:11 PM
another AE video from the mcneese state and richmond games last season. last play is amazing

http://draftnasty.com/index.php?cID=1667

What can you say? The last 4 years he was the most exciting player in college football, fact!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxnodx

Proud Griz Man
April 15th, 2010, 11:43 PM
AE is Good. 3rd or 4th round ? AE will make some NFL general manager /scout look 'smart'.

biggie
April 16th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Couple things showing interest from Pats and that they would have to take him late in 2nd round to get him (or trade down to 3rd round).

Seems like he's moving up the boards without much mention.

Grizzaholic
April 18th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I like from what I have read about AE in the workouts. Seems he will have lots of teams keeping him in mind as the first couple of rounds pass.

MorgantonAPPAlum
April 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM
xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxh urrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

AE goes to the Cats with the 89th pick!!!

Hood
April 23rd, 2010, 08:48 PM
ESPN already changed his position from QB to WR.

Mr. C
April 23rd, 2010, 10:01 PM

I love it when predictions are on the mark. It will be interesting to see how AE is used with the Panthers.

Mr. C
April 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
One particular poster around here (who know who he is) owes me a lunch because I told him Edwards would go in the third round.

SideLine Shooter
April 24th, 2010, 01:35 PM
One particular poster around here (who know who he is) owes me a lunch because I told him Edwards would go in the third round.

Mr. C. Hope everything is well with you and the family.

Good call. Next time I see you I'll buy your lunch.xnodxxnodx

jmufan999
April 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM
and by the way, are we all trying to pretend that Mr. C is NOT Dave Coulson?

anyway, i posted this on another thread but congrats to AE, a fantastic player and athlete.