PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Football, Seven Other Sports Penalized for Text-messaging

CSN Log
November 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM
11-06-2009 11:06 AM

Richmond Football, Seven Other Sports Penalized for Text-messaging

The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions has placed Richmond on two years of probation and imposed recruiting restrictions in eight sports for impermissible recruiting text messages and telephone calls to prospective student-athletes.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/11/06/richmond-football-seven-other-sports-pen?blog=2#more5785)

ThompsonThe
November 6th, 2009, 01:03 PM
What is the impact on their football team and others?
Are they all on probation for the next two years?
Can they not play in the playoffs?

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/11/06/richmond-football-seven-other-sports-pen?blog=2#more5785

Go...gate
November 6th, 2009, 01:04 PM
This came out of nowhere...

MacThor
November 6th, 2009, 01:05 PM
What is the impact on their football team and others? Did you read the article?

Are they all on probation for the next two years? Did you read the article?

Can they not play in the playoffs? Did you read the article?

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/11/06/richmond-football-seven-other-sports-pen?blog=2#more5785

MacThor
November 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM
This came out of nowhere...

Not really, it's been old news, it's just the sanctions came out today. It's almost all centered on the basketball program.

Coincidentally (?), the UR AD hired a compliance assistant last week.

T-Dog
November 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Football penalties

* Prohibited telephone contact and correspondence with two football prospects for four weeks.

It was more on men's and women's basketball. Looks like it's no big deal for football.

CrackerRiley
November 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM
So that's how they won it all last year? I knew there was something fishy going on..........

Pitz
November 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Football penalties

* Prohibited telephone contact and correspondence with two football prospects for four weeks.

Well there goes any chance at repeating as national champion.

Aho_Old_Guy
November 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
So that's how they won it all last year? I knew there was something fishy going on..........

It's only fair to vacate all Richmond football victories for the last 25 years. Cheaters should never prosper.

ur2k
November 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Old news, but the NCAA finally "ruled" on it today.

For further clarification,

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/URBB06_20091105-222203/304002/

And timeline

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URBB06G_20091105-222405/304009/

The NCAA completed its investigation in Sept 2008. Don't know why they waited a year to put us on probation.

And UR documents related to the situation.

http://www.richmondspiders.com/genrel/090808aae.html

ValleyChamp
November 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Cheaters. UNI='08 national champs.

CamelCityAppFan
November 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Y'all any good at basketball?

(In other words, did you get anything for the violations?)

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 01:24 PM
What's the incentive to commit recruiting violations in Women's Golf?

SFspidur
November 6th, 2009, 01:29 PM
The major violations were obviously in the men's and women's basketball programs. The other six sports totaled only 19 impermissible text messages among them...that's essentially only 3 per program, and I'd be willing to bet that you'd find that low level of infraction in just about every college athletics program. I'm not worried about those, but the basketball issues were much more substantial and have been addressed.

ur2k
November 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Y'all any good at basketball?

(In other words, did you get anything for the violations?)

Our last few recruiting classes have been very good, so I guess it worked xlolx

ThompsonThe
November 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Did you read the article?

Yes, I read the article....

It says that U of Richmond is on Probation for the next two years.

I take it that it affects all of UR athletics programs and prohibits them from participating in any post season activity or playoffs.

The additional penalties I also read.

Hoyadestroya85
November 6th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Our last few recruiting classes have been very good, so I guess it worked xlolx

I mean Villanova was accused of Violations between 01-03 which was when Foye, Ray, Nardi, Sumpter, Fraser and Sheridan were being recruited. That laid the groundwork for the best stretch in Villanova basketball history.

If you're going to do something illegal, why not do it on your personal phone?

Nobody should act holier than thou about this, recruiting violations happen at every school in the big two sports.

bostonspider
November 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM

I take it that it affects all of UR athletics programs and prohibits them from participating in any post season activity or playoffs.

Probation means probation, not bans. I means they are watched more closely and if they get caught doing something again, they are screwed... This was all self reported, the NCAA never "caught" UR doing anything.

Bettina90
November 6th, 2009, 01:49 PM
What's the incentive to commit recruiting violations in Women's Golf?

A team full of Natalie Gulbis'?

GannonFan
November 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I mean Villanova was accused of Violations between 01-03 which was when Foye, Ray, Nardi, Sumpter, Fraser and Sheridan were being recruited. That laid the groundwork for the best stretch in Villanova basketball history.

If you're going to do something illegal, why not do it on your personal phone?

Nobody should act holier than thou about this, recruiting violations happen at every school in the big two sports.

Of course, this comes from the supporter of another school that was placed on probation as well. Maybe recruiting violations happen, but in the CAA I can think of only nova and now Richmond that went far enough to get put on probation. xwhistlexxnonox:p

bostonspider
November 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Or maybe VU and UR are the only two schools honest enough to self report minor violations. Do not forget they are also two school recently lauded by the NCAA for graduating almost all their football players (high 90% range)...

uofmman1122
November 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Cheaters. UNI='08 national champs.Pffft.

You guys would have lost to us easily. xnodx xlolx

MacThor
November 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Of course, this comes from the supporter of another school that was placed on probation as well. Maybe recruiting violations happen, but in the CAA I can think of only nova and now Richmond that went far enough to get put on probation. xwhistlexxnonox:p

Except Nova's violations primarily occurred in the Big East, and Richmond's in the A-10.

ThompsonThe
November 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Or maybe VU and UR are the only two schools honest enough to self report minor violations. Do not forget they are also two school recently lauded by the NCAA for graduating almost all their football players (high 90% range)...

Spin it how you will, but if they were so hot to report violations, why didn't they?

Says in article that the NCAA asked for more records and then found additional violations.

Personally, I believe that they have a fine program, but don't try to spin it into them all being angels. No school has that. There are probably violations of some sort at abour every school due to the number of people involved.

colorless raider
November 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
A team full of Natalie Gulbis'?

I'll caddy!!:D

bostonspider
November 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
They did report the violations, after an internal audit showed the texting by the assistant coaches. The additional violations seem to be 19 texts spread out over 8 sports over the two years. I am not saying they are angels, or there would not be any violations, I just think that UR self reported what a lot of schools would have ignored, or more likely dealt with purely internally.

Eight Legger
November 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM
In other "news," Michael Jackson died, the British are coming and the Hindenberg exploded. Good lord.

CrackerRiley
November 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
It's news to me and seems like news to most other people not associated with Richmond...

Bogus Megapardus
November 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I thought this thread was about Natalie Gulbis. Can't we get back to her?

Eight Legger
November 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Sure. We're back.

http://tinyurl.com/ysv2uy

ASU_Fanatic
November 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM
wow

DTSpider
November 6th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Probation does not mean a ban on postseason activity. All it really means is...if you do this again in the next 2 years than the penalties will be more severe.

Bottom line...if you're a coach and a recruit sends you a test message that says "great win last night" - don't reply to them.

Bogus Megapardus
November 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Sure. We're back.

http://tinyurl.com/ysv2uy

wow

Wow is right. Hook or Slice?

ItsyBitsySpider
November 6th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Just make sure you show up for the playoff game if you draw UR because they will.

Skjellyfetti
November 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Just make sure you show up for the playoff game if you draw UR because they will.

Except December 7, 2007. :p

ThompsonThe
November 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Only seen them do it one time with a very injured AE, and 5th and 6th RB's playing that hadn't even been listed as RB's.....but they did win. That is what counts.
Would love to see a rematch.

ngineer
November 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Not really, it's been old news, it's just the sanctions came out today. It's almost all centered on the basketball program.

Coincidentally (?), the UR AD hired a compliance assistant last week.

Great. Lehigh is playing Richmond in roundball this year..xrolleyesx

ItsyBitsySpider
November 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Very high expectations for Richmond hoops. Many have us challenging Xavier and Dayton for the A-10 crown.

ItsyBitsySpider
November 6th, 2009, 09:38 PM
ThompsonThe, I meant there will be no postseason ban. App would definitely be a handful. On the flip side, we've only seen you do it once against Richmond without Sidbury and Logan. Would also be nice to get App at home.

Sader87
November 6th, 2009, 10:04 PM
So Richmond is banned from the play-offs for two years? Starting this year?

ItsyBitsySpider
November 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
No postseason ban.

spdram
November 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM
no ban -- limited visits/contacts with recruits, even that should be over now. This took place two years ago, we caught it ourselves in an internal audit, reported it to the NCAA and fired the main two coaches involved. NCAA has simply said we'll be watching carefully for two years additional.

ItsyBitsySpider
November 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
The NCAA moves quickly doesn't it? LOL

GreatAppSt
November 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Looks like Richmonds broadcast team may be put on probation by the Fed communications like the UR athetics is now on NCAA probation.

After the missed FG did you here the call from the booth? "He missed it, what a bum! come on! end this F%$^ing Game, aaahhhh let's go home already!"

Way to support your really good FB team, moron. xnonoxxoopsx

93henfan
November 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Looks like Richmonds broadcast team may be put on probation by the Fed communications like the UR athetics is now on NCAA probation.

After the missed FG did you here the call from the booth? "He missed it, what a bum! come on! end this F%$^ing Game, aaahhhh let's go home already!"

That was Comcast, not Richmond.

GreatAppSt
November 7th, 2009, 06:12 PM
That was Comcast, not Richmond. I think is was a cut in with the UR radio students. the comcast folks would not be so emotional over the game.

Bogus Megapardus
November 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Be serious. The FCC has no jurisdiction over cable/satellite broadcasts, and Richmond did not authorize, sanction or facilitate the "comment." Much ado about nothing.

GreatAppSt
November 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Be serious. The FCC has no jurisdiction over cable/satellite broadcasts, and Richmond did not authorize, sanction or facilitate the "comment." Much ado about nothing.

It's an F$%^ing joke...........................get it.:D