PDA

View Full Version : AE's Draft Status

BearGibson
November 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
I know that there are quite the number of AE posts already, but, I was curious of folks opinion on his draft status.

According to CBS he is the 16th rated QB and a projected 7th rounder for the 2010 draft. If his season progresses similar to how it has been do you see him moving ahead in the rankings by draft time? Would another National Championship and Walter Payton award further his status? I was surprised to see a few of the names in front of him. I will say he could really benefit from hitting the protein shakes and making it to 200 pounds (lightest QB in draft consideration).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1249482

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_QB

DSUrocks07
November 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
I know that there are quite the number of AE posts already, but, I was curious of folks opinion on his draft status.

According to CBS he is the 16th rated QB and a projected 7th rounder for the 2010 draft. If his season progresses similar to how it has been do you see him moving ahead in the rankings by draft time? Would another National Championship and Walter Payton award further his status? I was surprised to see a few of the names in front of him. I will say he could really benefit from hitting the protein shakes and making it to 200 pounds (lightest QB in draft consideration).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1249482

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_QB

he is undersized for the QB position in the NFL. Look at the height and weights of the QBs rated ahead of him

Colt McCoy QB Texas 6-2 212
Tim Tebow QB Florida 6-3 245
Tony Pike QB Cincinnati 6-6 226
Dan LeFevour QB Central Michigan 6-3 238
Jarrett Brown QB West Virginia 6-3 223
John Skelton QB Fordham 6-5 256
Tim Hiller QB Western Michigan 6-4 234
Zac Robinson QB Oklahoma State 6-3 218
Rusty Smith QB Florida Atlantic 6-5 230
Max Hall QB Brigham Young 6-1 202
Daryll Clark QB Penn State 6-1 232
Joe Webb QB UAB 6-4 220
Ryan Perrilloux QB Jacksonville State 6-2 228
Mike Kafka QB Northwestern 6-3 220
Isiah Williams QB Illinois 6-1 235

He's looking at either career backup, wildcat formation, or a position change (tailback, kick returner)

Shellin
November 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
To be fair that draft board you have listed only shows seniors and not draft eligible underclassmen so they have AE rated the 16th best senior QB as far as his draft prospect is concerned. It doesn't really matter though, there is no way he starts at QB for an NFL franchise, but from now until this season ends he is the best QB in the FCS.

UNH Fanboi
November 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
AE is only 5'11" and these days NFL scouts blindly write off any QB shorter than 6'1" or 6'2". I'd like to see him get a fair look, but NFL scouts are all sheep and suckers for tall QBs with strong arms, regardless of their intangibles.

crusader11
November 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Could be like what Pat White is for Miami. Almost identical Quarterbacks.

PhoenixSupreme
November 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM

I have a feeling that more and more teams would like to experiment with the Wildcat like the Dolphins are doing....so Armanti could be a viable option for a team willing to experiment with that. Or as many have said, he can try to succeed as a possession WR or FS

Hoyadestroya85
November 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM

Pat White is bigger, has a stronger arm, played in a BCS school that won big time bowl games and he had no significant injury history.

AE is one of the greatest college football players ever and he'll make the league, but he's gonna be a niche player.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
I thought this was interesting, I saw a couple of 2010 Draft Prospect Rankings that had AE ahead of Hudgins at the WR position.

Good luck to both of them on Sundays next year.

GannonFan
November 2nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
He will never be an NFL QB. Great college player and one of the all time best at this level, but he doesn't have the size you need to play at that level. I'd say odds are he doesn't even get drafted. Doesn't diminish what he did in college, though. xthumbsupx

crusader11
November 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Never said he was as good as Pat White, just that if an NFL team was going to take a chance on him he would be used in the same manner that the Dolphins use White.

He does not have the physical ability or skill set to be an every down, drop back quarterback.

Eight Legger
November 2nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
The best-case scenario for Edwards is that he becomes Josh Cribbs Light in the NFL. Cribbs was a QB in college and now does a little of everything for the Browns. He's the best kick returner in the league, plays on wildcat formations, etc. But he is also much larger than Edwards and can take some banging. I am not sure if Edwards can do the same stuff, but that's what he's facing, most likely.

Grizzaholic
November 2nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
Oh, I am sure he will be in the to 10. He did beat Michigan.

grizband
November 2nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Terrell Hudgins is going to be superior to Jerry Rice. AE might not be in the league for 5 years
This might be the overstatement of the century. Let's let the kid step on an NFL field before we crown him the next Rice. xthumbsupx

BearGibson
November 2nd, 2009, 11:15 PM
This might be the overstatement of the century. Let's let the kid step on an NFL field before we crown him the next Rice. xthumbsupx

Agreed xnonox

BearGibson
November 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Can AE be a 3rd or 4th rounder as an All Purpose player?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
if he wants to make it in the nfl, he needs to switch to wr. we already saw mike vick and he is greatly overrated. ae is a GREAT college qb but wont be a great nfl qb and will have to learn wr

Vick was not overrated. Did you see how bad the Falcons were the season after Vick got arrested compared to what they were with him?

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
He was too small to play D-I QB as well.

He's about the same size as Pat White. 6'0 184 vs. 6'0 190. White went high in the second round... I don't think Armanti will go that high... but, I think someone will take a chance on him.

And, I think he has developed into a much better passer than Pat White.

CamelCityAppFan
November 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
And, I think he has developed into a much better passer than Pat White.

FWIW, Edward's pass efficiency rating would place him 3rd in the nation this week among all division I qbs (FBS or FCS). I think his passing is helped by a receiving corps that is much deeper than it has been in recent years.

I still think a job as a starting qb in the NFL is an uphill battle. He is a tremendously gifted athlete, and someone will give him a shot. Whoever drafts him will probably look at him in a variety of roles, qb included-- but I really see him as more of that utility athlete that gets in the game in a variety of situations.

ericsaid
November 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
He throws 50 yard bombs right in the breadbasket. I watched the draft when Brady Quinn was being drafted and they showed highlights of him making spot on passes just like AE in those distances saying that would make him a great NFL QB.

Whats the difference? The bias that just because a QB can run he can't throw? Anyone who has follwed AE can see how well he has progressed over the last three years and honestly any team wanting to add another dimension to their "wildcat" would be a fool to not take him.

Most teams only run out of the wildcat but if you have him in there and he can pass, that just adds a whole other dynamic.

IMO, Michael Vick still has a starting job out there in another year and a half. There are teams in really bad situations that could use him once he shakes the rust off after this season and next spring. Throwing for 300+ yards and 4 TD's in consecutive weeks before his season ended when he was arrested shows he has the ability and his best days still could be ahead.

Sorry for the irrelevancy of the last paragraph.

PhoenixMan
November 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
except pat white was better b/c he played for a bcs school

Is it just me, or is everyone tired of these nonsense posts from this guy?. Is he really an Elon fan, and is he a child?

gbhmt
November 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM
He throws 50 yard bombs right in the breadbasket. I watched the draft when Brady Quinn was being drafted and they showed highlights of him making spot on passes just like AE in those distances saying that would make him a great NFL QB.

Whats the difference? The bias that just because a QB can run he can't throw? Anyone who has follwed AE can see how well he has progressed over the last three years and honestly any team wanting to add another dimension to their "wildcat" would be a fool to not take him.

Most teams only run out of the wildcat but if you have him in there and he can pass, that just adds a whole other dynamic.

IMO, Michael Vick still has a starting job out there in another year and a half. There are teams in really bad situations that could use him once he shakes the rust off after this season and next spring. Throwing for 300+ yards and 4 TD's in consecutive weeks before his season ended when he was arrested shows he has the ability and his best days still could be ahead.

Sorry for the irrelevancy of the last paragraph.

Who said that? Am I missing something? The issue's his size. Not the fact that he can run.

Rekdiver
November 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
It is an interesting dilema for AE. He has a NFL arm there is no doubt about that. Will he be able to see over NFL linemen? Tough very tough. Who knows though, too many people use size, 40 time ,verticle leap bench press etcetera to judge talent. If AE was 200 lbs many would have a different opinion, but his football IQ and FEEL for the game is phenominal either in the pocket or rolling out. He is the perfect backup QB WR and he will go cheap.

Head Cat
November 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Pat White is bigger, has a stronger arm, played in a BCS school that won big time bowl games and he had no significant injury history.

AE is one of the greatest college football players ever and he'll make the league, but he's gonna be a niche player.

Pat White might have a stronger arm, but don't think for a minute that Edwards doesn't have a strong arm. Did you miss some of the throws he made in some of those TV games? Edwards had throws against Wofford, South Carolina State and McNeese State that were incredible.

Also, Edwards is tons more accurate and has much better touch than White as a passer. White also missed a bunch of time with injuries in college and was knocked out of several games. Did you forget about that?

I've heard through the grapevine that if Jon Gruden ends up back in the NFL that he might incorporate a spread offense, combined with his old passing schemes and he would use a three-quarterback system. I also know from contacts I have that Gruden is a big fan of Edwards.

Skjellyfetti
November 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Saw this linked at appfan.com and thought it was relevant:

Ron Wolf spent more than 30 years in professional football as a personnel man, the last nine as general manager with the Green Bay Packers, a team he turned from a laughing stock into Super Bowl champions by his fifthHe built that team mainly through the draft, but also by acquiring key free agents and making some wise trades.

His biggest acquisition was sending the Atlanta Falcons a first-round pick in the 1992 draft for Brett Favre, a third-string quarterback whom Wolf fell in love with when he was a player at Southern Mississippi. Favre, now with the Minnesota Vikings, played 16 years with the Packers.

Wolf, who retired in 2001, was an astute judge of talent, particularly at the quarterback position. When he was with the Oakland Raiders, Wolf convinced owner Al Davis to use a second-round draft pick on Ken Stabler, who eventually led the Raiders to a Super Bowl title.
full season.

When Wolf was scouting players he obviously looked for those with talent. But how those players performed in big-time environments and whether they were involved with winning programs was also important to him.
Edwards has led the Mountaineers to two NCAA FCS titles and also has that win at Michigan on his resume.

“I don’t believe in small-school players but I do not think Appalachian State is a small school when it comes to playing football,” Wolf said on Wednesday. “I don’t think I ever in my life dipped in there, but I would dip into App State because to me that’s a football producing school.”

The Mountaineers won three straight national titles, the last two of which were led by Edwards, who received the Walter Payton Award last year, the FCS version of the Heisman.

“I wanted guys who played in big-time football games like that kid at Appalachian State played in front of 100,000 people at Michigan, “Wolf said. “That’s a big deal.
“The whole thing is whether you win or lose. I don’t know how else to put that.”

Right now Edwards is being projected as a seventh-round pick. With more teams using the Wildcat formation, the fleet-footed Edwards, whose arm has improved considerably since his freshman season, could be a dangerous threat. Chances are good that he’ll be invited to at least one post-season all-star game, which would give scouts a chance to see him play with players from bigger schools.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009911050333

JMU Newbill
November 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
If Pat White had turned out to be an effective tool in the wildcat, I think AE's draft status would have improved drastically this year. However, case in point, Chad Henne is now starting in Miami and Pat White hasn't done much of anything (wildcat or other).

Someone might take a chance on AE, but I don't think anything will ever pan out. Sorry...

Tealblood
November 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I think he will be better off not getting drafted

he and/or they can get him in the right spot as a free agent

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
He'll need to put up gaudy numbers at the combine like Pat White did he'll also need to do well in a post season all star game.. if he skips it that's a big no no he'll have to prove he can take snaps under center and work in a "pro style" offense before teams even think about using him as a quarterback. I also have doubts as to his listed weight. Pat white is a pretty solidly built guy but he looks like a twig. Colt Brennan was the right height but he was undersized and that screwed him to a degree.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Is it just me, or is everyone tired of these nonsense posts from this guy?. Is he really an Elon fan, and is he a child?

Its not just you..... that guy is a moron.

gophoenix
November 6th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Its not just you..... that guy is a moron.

Ditto that.

ElonFirefighter
November 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM
New Rule you must show a valid phoenix card to post under a Elon name. otherwise you will be tared, feathered and set ablaze until you turn into a true phoenix ;)

MasonJar
November 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
if he wants to make it in the nfl, he needs to switch to wr. we already saw mike vick and he is greatly overrated. ae is a GREAT college qb but wont be a great nfl qb and will have to learn wr

I hear what you are saying and somewhat agree. However, that is the same thing that was said about AE out of high school... not a QB, switch to WR... Well, some folks are eating crow now. Will this translate into the NFL? Who knows for sure. However, it doubt continues to rise and AE somehow gets a chance at a QB position in the NFL, he may have the talent, desire, will and motivation to continue to prove people wrong.

I envision AE as a Devon Hester type of player (dreads or not). I am just glad that I have at least 3 more games to watch him at ASU, and hopefully a lengthy run in the playoffs to boot!

downbythebeach
November 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM
we already saw mike vick and he is greatly overrated. ae is a GREAT college qb but wont be a great nfl qb and will have to learn wr

the liberal media wanted to showcase a black quarterback so they hyped him up......xlolx

james_lawfirm
November 6th, 2009, 01:34 PM

It's not just you.

MaximumBobcat
November 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
AE getting drafted??

Oh, we're talking about the CFL draft right? :p

MountaineerNation
November 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I think he'll get a chance in the NFL in some form!

Head Cat
November 18th, 2009, 11:37 PM
AE getting drafted??

Oh, we're talking about the CFL draft right? :p

Nice one there. Are you unaware that he is currently viewed by NFL scouts as a late-round draft choice? Might want to be a little more informed before you smack someone. This is the discussion board.

MaximumBobcat
November 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Nice one there.

Thanks. xlolx

Are you unaware that he is currently viewed by NFL scouts as a late-round draft choice? Might want to be a little more informed before you smack someone. This is the discussion board.

Yeah, him and loads of other guys are viewed as 7th rounders or Free Agents. Not all make it, he might, but don't go and try to talk like he's already been drafted. I was joking around, don't take it so serious champ. xnodx

jedmis10
November 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Nice one there. Are you unaware that he is currently viewed by NFL scouts as a late-round draft choice? Might want to be a little more informed before you smack someone. This is the discussion board.

Amen

HenZoneNation
November 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I've seen AE compared to Pat White and Doug Flutie on this site and for obvious reasons in regards to their physical stature. I tend to think that if AE makes an NFL roster he'll go the route of Flutie rather than White. I think he'll probably have to go through Canda, show them what he's got, and then come to the NFL after he's had time to physically mature. I think the Dolphins have already regretted the White experiement and that Pat getting drafted so early and having very little impact on the game as a duel threat QB in the wildcat formation might actually hurt AE. He's an incredible athlete but everyone in the NFL is an incredible athlete. Here's hoping I'm wrong though.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I've seen AE compared to Pat White and Doug Flutie on this site and for obvious reasons in regards to their physical stature. I tend to think that if AE makes an NFL roster he'll go the route of Flutie rather than White. I think he'll probably have to go through Canda, show them what he's got, and then come to the NFL after he's had time to physically mature. I think the Dolphins have already regretted the White experiement and that Pat getting drafted so early and having very little impact on the game as a duel threat QB in the wildcat formation might actually hurt AE. He's an incredible athlete but everyone in the NFL is an incredible athlete. Here's hoping I'm wrong though.

You may be right and as I have mentioned before I love Pat White however I thought the 2nd round was too high for him - he might get more opportunity now that their RB who did some "wildcat" is out for the year - that being said I truly believe Armanti is a better QB than Pat ----

I pull for all FCS guys like Flacco - when they do well it helps all that come behind them - and no. AE is no Flacco ---- well not in the NFL anyway ----

ericsaid
November 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
This is a question for anyone who has seen both Pat White and AE in person. Who in your non biased opinion is the better passer?

WVAPPmountaineer
November 20th, 2009, 06:15 AM
This is a question for anyone who has seen both Pat White and AE in person. Who in your non biased opinion is the better passer?

I am biased toward both Pat and Armanti ----

JMU Newbill
November 20th, 2009, 06:30 AM
You can't compare the two in a non-biased way on this website. No one on here from ASU will recognize the fact that Pat White was throwing and running the ball against WAY BETTER DEFENSES than AE. That's like comparing someone putting up huge numbers in AAA baseball to someone putting up good numbers in MLB. Who's better? You can't tell until they are both playing on the same level.

WVAPPmountaineer
November 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM
You can't compare the two in a non-biased way on this website. No one on here from ASU will recognize the fact that Pat White was throwing and running the ball against WAY BETTER DEFENSES than AE. That's like comparing someone putting up huge numbers in AAA baseball to someone putting up good numbers in MLB. Who's better? You can't tell until they are both playing on the same level.

What you point out is true - however it works both ways - Pat had Steve Slaton, Noel Devine and the big ol FB (can't remember his name) who are all NFLers plus I think a couple of the WV OL moved onto the NFL as well - so while Pat played against tougher competition, he also had much better players on his team as well
----

JMU Newbill
November 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM
What you point out is true - however it works both ways - Pat had Steve Slaton, Noel Devine and the big ol FB (can't remember his name) who are all NFLers plus I think a couple of the WV OL moved onto the NFL as well - so while Pat played against tougher competition, he also had much better players on his team as well
----

I'll give you that.... and that's a very good and valid point.

But in situations concerning passing ability and decision making ability, while you are certainly throwing at more talented receivers, he still has smaller windows to throw to, quicker reads to make, MUCH BETTER db's to beat, and overall a more difficult situation to be a successful passer IMO.

Again, I don't think you can reasonably compare AE to Brees, Pat White, Flutie, or any other the other names that have popped up in the five or six AE threads floating around. I don't think its even fair to compare Pat White to Brees or Flutie, to me it's not even close.

The athletic qb, while fun to watch, is not what the pro game is based on. Vince Young has picked up his stride in the last two or three games (against horrible teams), but look at the body of his work. The team won games his first year, but his numbers were not very good. That Tennessee team had the best defense in the league. Look at Vick's passer rating. Not that great, in fact, it's very below average. He was successful on the ground, and to this day, it AMAZES me that he was not knocked out of football by Ray Lewis or someone of the type.

The truth is, every year there are 5 or 6 very highly regarded qb's that come out of college, most of which are Heisman trophy candidates. Then you also have another 5 or 6 that have "potential". In most classes, one or two fo them pan out to be good, solid, every down qb's in the NFL. Every few years or so, you get an anomoly from FCS/1-AA/other, such as Gannon, Romo, Flacco, that steps up to the plate and becomes an every down qb.