PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question about Playoffs

blue4gold
October 26th, 2009, 12:34 AM
If an FCS team plays 3 FBS powerhouses (say for example Alabama, Florida and USC), loses all 3 games and then goes on to win the rest of its games including all conference games in one of the top ranked conferences in FCS, does this team belong in the playoffs?

__________________________________________________ _______________

I'm a UC Davis fan making an exaggeration to see hypothetically if the team above deserves an at-large playoff spot. About our schedule: (we did have 3 losses: 2 to strong FBS programs and a 1 td loss to Montana) Our conference is ranked 2nd in FCS by Sagarin after the Colonial and before the MVC.

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Only if their FCS resume has a bunch of impressive wins against top 25 teams.

FargoBison
October 26th, 2009, 12:39 AM
If an FCS team plays 3 FBS powerhouses (say for example Alabama, Florida and USC), loses all 3 games and then goes on to win the rest of its games including all conference games in one of the top ranked conferences in FCS, does this team belong in the playoffs?

__________________________________________________ _______________

I'm a UC Davis fan making an exaggeration to see hypothetically if the team above deserves an at-large playoff spot. About our schedule: (we did have 3 losses: 2 to strong FBS programs and a 1 td loss to Montana) Our conference is ranked 2nd in FCS by Sagarin after the Colonial and before the MVC.

Typically that team would get an autobid. UCD would make an interesting discussion though, I would say yes in that case. If a Pioneer League team did it, probably not.

gbhmt
October 26th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah my answer is barring that they're in an autobid conference. In which case the question would be unnecessary.

89Hen
October 26th, 2009, 08:11 AM
They'd receive the autobid, no discussion really necessary.

As for UC-Davis, you don't play in one of the top rated conferences... that's only a computer not seeing that you have two good teams, one who people love to say is good but can't ever seem to have a winning record and two teams who are brand new to I-AA.

You also have Western Oregon on your slate which makes you 7-3 in your scenario. There will be too many other 8-3 teams out there to take a 7-3 team who wins would include Winston Salem, SacSt, PSU, SUU and two brand new DI programs.