PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Reprimands Grambling State and Prairie View A&M Bands

CSN Log
October 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM
10-08-2009 10:34 AM

SWAC Reprimands Grambling State and Prairie View A&M Bands

The Southwestern Athletic Conference announced today the Grambling State Marching Band and the Prairie View A&M Marching Band have each been issued a public reprimand for their actions during last Saturday’s Grambling State-Prairie View A&M football game.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/10/08/swac-reprimands-grambling-state-and-prai?blog=2#more5666)

TexasTerror
October 9th, 2009, 11:50 AM
This is intriguing as Jafus would say...

One could easily contend that there have been numerous violations of said policy, not just by these two schools - but a whole bunch of them at different levels of NCAA competition from several conferences.

Why is it being enforced this time? And will it really matter?

McNeese75
October 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I would think some of the SWAC bands could definitly make a difference

TexasTerror
October 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
On TSPN - there was not a single comment on this subject.

Not surprised, it's probably because of the general sentiment regarding this 'slap' on the wrist.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
This is crazy. I'm 100% sure Grambling and Prairie View's bands aren't the first to break this rule. I'm guessing this only pertains to SWAC contests, as Texas Southern played about 4:00 minutes (game minutes) STRAIGHT when they came to San Marcos--during both teams' offensive possession.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 10:42 AM
This is crazy. I'm 100% sure Grambling and Prairie View's bands aren't the first to break this rule. I'm guessing this only pertains to SWAC contests, as Texas Southern played about 4:00 minutes (game minutes) STRAIGHT when they came to San Marcos--during both teams' offensive possession.

It gets broken regularly.

I know a coach who asked the officials to call something when they were playing a low-level school. The officials shrugged it off, just how things are run...

Hood
October 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
This has been called twice against Nicholls at home before.

Once in 1998 and once in 1999 or 2000. 15 yards, cost us the game both times I think. At least the 2nd time it did.

PhoenixSupreme
October 11th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I remember when NC A&T came to Elon a few years ago, they brought their band and they did the exact same thing. I think they played a song throughout one of our entire drives. I don't think they were reprimanded though.

SU Jag
October 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
This rule is NEVER, EVER enforced. The commish really wanted to enforce it last year but he knew if he did that he wouldnt be commish very long. The bands are a big part of HBCU football so you wont see the rule enforced at many HBCU games. Not unless the band just goes overboard with it.

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
This rule is NEVER, EVER enforced. The commish really wanted to enforce it last year but he knew if he did that he wouldnt be commish very long. The bands are a big part of HBCU football so you wont see the rule enforced at many HBCU games. Not unless the band just goes overboard with it.

The rule is not even appropriately enforced when HBCU squads hit the road either. Guessing the host teams are looking to bank money on having the bands there as it helps with ticket sales, etc.

Just goes to show you that the experience and atmosphere is more important than the play on the field, to some regard.

gophoenix
October 11th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I remember when NC A&T came to Elon a few years ago, they brought their band and they did the exact same thing. I think they played a song throughout one of our entire drives. I don't think they were reprimanded though.

Back then it was a SoCon and Big South rule to not play like that, courtesy pused that into OOC games. The MEAC did not have that rule at the time, nor the NCAA.

JSU02
October 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
This has been called twice against Nicholls at home before.

Once in 1998 and once in 1999 or 2000. 15 yards, cost us the game both times I think. At least the 2nd time it did.

HEHEHE I remember that game. Your band helped us win. :)

JSU02
October 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I'm guessing this only pertains to SWAC contests, as Texas Southern played about 4:00 minutes (game minutes) STRAIGHT when they came to San Marcos--during both teams' offensive possession.

From my experience, SWAC schools (mostly Alabama A&M) are notorious for doing that. Extremely un-classy.

WestCoastAggie
October 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
HBCU culture or not, the stuff is stupid. I am surprised a coach hasn't talked to a band director to tell the band to just blast a note whenever the ball is hiked.

SU Jag
October 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM
HBCU culture or not, the stuff is stupid. I am surprised a coach hasn't talked to a band director to tell the band to just blast a note whenever the ball is hiked.

xsmhxxsmhx

Hood
October 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM
HEHEHE I remember that game. Your band helped us win. :)

Yeah man, still have the same director. Nowadays he is very much on the ball with that. He's *VERY* vocal about making sure the kids are paying attention when they have to stop playing.

I don't think that Nicholls will make that mistake again.

If I remember correctly we still almost made a comeback and the QB drove us into scoring territory only to throw a fourth down pass into the greek letters outside the endzone.

3rd Coast Tiger
October 12th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I was in Piscattaway, NJ this weekend and saw with my own two eyes when Rutgers band (who sits in the south endzone) were blasting on THREE different possessions while we were backed up with our starting possession around the 15, 33 and 26 yardlines when we were on their side of the field.

So now what? xcoffeex

Oh yeah, the Ocean didn't make the trip.

WestCoastAggie
October 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I was in Piscattaway, NJ this weekend and saw with my own two eyes when Rutgers band (who sits in the south endzone) were blasting on THREE different possessions while we were backed up with our starting possession around the 15, 33 and 26 yardlines when we were on their side of the field.

So now what? xcoffeex

Oh yeah, the Ocean didn't make the trip.

That band was in the wrong too! xthumbsupx

SU Jag
October 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
It happens across the board, no doubt.I went to a few uab games and their band does itzn the thing is that their bands don't play with the power and volume of most hbcu bands.But you've played hbcu football anywhere you prepare for this in the off-season. The rule usually is not enforced because teams prepare for it.

mikebigg
October 12th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I say drop the flag and march off 5 yards against the opposing team... It's a rule so enforce it.

JohnStOnge
October 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
BTW, congratulations to Prairie View's football program. It wasn't long ago at all that, whenever someone wanted to give an example of the absolute weakest I-AA/FCS team, they'd say "Prairie View." The Panthers have come a long way in a short time.

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
On TSPN - there was not a single comment on this subject.

Not surprised, it's probably because of the general sentiment regarding this 'slap' on the wrist.

Thats not true. There is a 3 page thread on the subject. You just didnt look in the correct section. xcoolx

mrklean
October 12th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I say drop the flag and march off 5 yards against the opposing team... It's a rule so enforce it.

I agree. HBCU's have gotten away with this for far too log. I love HBCU bands like the next fan, but you have to enforce the rule. xnonox

mikebigg
October 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I agree. HBCU's have gotten away with this for far too log. I love HBCU bands like the next fan, but you have to enforce the rule. xnonox

So of the posters on here referenced schools that are not HBCU's...apparently, its a problem for more than HBCU's. Oh, thanks for loving our band...xlolxxlolx

inpsite1919
October 25th, 2009, 02:51 AM
So of the posters on here referenced schools that are not HBCU's...apparently, its a problem for more than HBCU's. Oh, thanks for loving our band...xlolxxlolx

I thought I was the only one who noticed. xcoffeex

mrklean
October 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM

I marched in a HBCU band for one year.

R.A.
October 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Lol, this is funny.