View Full Version : JMU (2-1) @ Hofstra (2-2) - Game Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Uncle Buck
October 3rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
wowwwww hoftra caannnot be that good...what happened to jmu

Today we were xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
October 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
I hate to be a dick, but there is a JMU website that referred to us as Hofstra High School. A couple of excerpts:

"Hofstra High School

We typically never look past any football team because on any given day, well, you know the story here. But, we have spent hours upon hours doing all the algorithms possible and even if Donny Smith lines up and plays every position on the field, we can’t figure out a way that we lose this game. Hofstra would play a very competitive game against Deep Run High School if they had the opportunity. The Ticks destroyed them a couple weeks ago and we see no reason how we do anything differently. All algorithms point to ANOTHER JMU ….. FIRST DOWN! Yes, fellows we will be 3-1 after Saturday and preparing to play ……"

"The Purple Wave is treating this week as a BYE week even though technically we are playing Hofstra."

Now lets see if the Purple Wave can eat some crow. And by the way, if Deep Run High School calls, tell them they can play the Dukes first.

T-Dog
October 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
I hate to be a dick, but there is a JMU website that referred to us as Hofstra High School. A couple of excerpts:

"Hofstra High School

We typically never look past any football team because on any given day, well, you know the story here. But, we have spent hours upon hours doing all the algorithms possible and even if Donny Smith lines up and plays every position on the field, we can’t figure out a way that we lose this game. Hofstra would play a very competitive game against Deep Run High School if they had the opportunity. The Ticks destroyed them a couple weeks ago and we see no reason how we do anything differently. All algorithms point to ANOTHER JMU ….. FIRST DOWN! Yes, fellows we will be 3-1 after Saturday and preparing to play ……"

"The Purple Wave is treating this week as a BYE week even though technically we are playing Hofstra."

Now lets see if the Purple Wave can eat some crow. And by the way, if Deep Run High School calls, tell them they can play the Dukes first.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

LacesOut
October 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hofstra won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats, UB!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Buck
October 3rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hofstra won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats, UB!!!!!!!!!!

Big win for us, not sure how many we'll get this year, but i'm enjoying this one until kickoff next week. Defense stepped up and played big when we needed, offense moved the ball and played aggressive for the most part. Some gripes about the PI at the end of the game, could have been a no call, but the guy went up and through the defender over his back. Then again, we had like a 40 yard TD run called back for a hold and didn't get any points out of the drive, things tend to even out.

The beer is colder tonight, the wife is prettier, the kids are better looking, life is good right now for the Buckster. xnodx

GreatAppSt
October 3rd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Good win Hoffy!

Madisonian
October 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Congrats Buck. Hofstra won that game hands down today. They were clearly well prepared and deserve the win. Congrats again, we need to get our act together for next week.

Bull Fan
October 3rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
hahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Buck
October 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Congrats Buck. Hofstra won that game hands down today. They were clearly well prepared and deserve the win. Congrats again, we need to get our act together for next week.

Thanks man. I've said it all over, Cohen was coaching for his job today and for once the playcalling while not always great, was so much improved for us. A lot more aggressive than in the past few games. He's got another week, hopefully he doesn't fu@k it up the rest of the way!

kdinva
October 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
That's why the games are played each week..............VMI played very competitively at UR, gave the game away today to Gar-Webb (who took advantage, obviously).

LawDutch
October 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Whew! Season saver today!!

This pretty much proves that not having a QB spells doom if you're in the CAA. Luckily we came out on top today, if we can ride the momentum of this win for the next few weeks, we have a shot at the playoffs. It's crazy how the perception of a season can change after just one game.

Grizaholic17
October 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Unbelievable.

JMU DJ
October 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
**** hofstra... **** jmu.... **** college football

xlolxxlolxxlolx
Oh Sandy, only you could make me come back here. It ain't the end of the world, JMU and the Bills can still make the playoffs.

Uncle Buck
October 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Whew! Season saver today!!

This pretty much proves that not having a QB spells doom if you're in the CAA. Luckily we came out on top today, if we can ride the momentum of this win for the next few weeks, we have a shot at the playoffs. It's crazy how the perception of a season can change after just one game.

I don't have the stomach to think playoffs yet. Still way too much football left to be played and i want to make sure we don't go back to the overly predictable offense we were in the first four weeks.

All in all though, it's a good win and we needed it. Hopefully this is a confidence builder for the the kids and the coaches. Also looks like they discovered the TE today, thank god, it only took five freakin' weeks!

Seawolf97
October 3rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks man. I've said it all over, Cohen was coaching for his job today and for once the playcalling while not always great, was so much improved for us. A lot more aggressive than in the past few games. He's got another week, hopefully he doesn't fu@k it up the rest of the way!

Congratulations to the Pride ! Nice win xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
October 3rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Congratulations to the Pride ! Nice win xthumbsupx

Thanks 97. Looks like you guys found a whole lot of offense today against the Blue Hose. I was the final and thought damn, Priore and you guys needed this one today as well. xthumbsupx

spdram
October 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
Uncle Buck and the Pride fans, congrats on the win, listened to the game and it was a thriller. Your guys came to play from the opening KO and it paid off. Keep it up!

GreatAppSt
October 3rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Somebody should change the thread name to JMU(2-2) @ Hofstra (3-2) xthumbsupx

Kymermosst
October 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
There's not much else to say about this game...Wow...Whoulda thunk it?

Crazy day with the rain on and off, then the lightning, misplaced halftime, and improbable win.

I never thought I'd see the day..

KiddBrewer
October 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
nice hofstra! a day when App wins and JMU loses....is a good day! :)

Bull Fan
October 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Greatest Hofstra win in YEARS. I cannot recall a more gratifying victory walking out of the stadium today.

As a fan who doesn't think twice about bashing how the team's been run over the last half-dozen years, I will not think twice in complimenting the entire squad, from coaches to players, on being ready to play today. The defense was just lights-out today, and their efforts were not wasted by the offense. Granted there were some plays called that I did not agree with, but by and large the kids executed when they needed to.

Great win, and congrats to all the kids and Coach Cohen. I really hope they build off this major, major victory.....

JMU DJ
October 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Somebody should change the thread name to JMU(2-2) @ Hofstra (3-2) xthumbsupx

nice hofstra! a day when App wins and JMU loses....is a good day! :)

Let's not get all high and mighty 2-2 App St... eking out an OT victory over El Cid. xrolleyesx

GeeWiz
October 3rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Congrats to Hofstra and Uncle Buck on the big win over JMU!

T-Dog
October 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Let's not get all high and mighty 2-2 App St... eking out an OT victory over El Cid. xrolleyesx

El Cid's got a good chance of making the playoffs. They got the pieces needed.

An 8-3 El Cid team have a good case.

GreatAppSt
October 3rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Let's not get all high and mighty

Ya mean like the high and mightyness displayed in the original thread name?;)

2-2 App St... eking out an OT victory over El Cid. xrolleyesx

Victory being the key word in your response, right?xlolx

JMU DJ
October 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Ya mean like the high and mightyness displayed in the original thread name?;)

Yeah, cuz posting the records is real hoity-toity xrolleyesx

Victory being the key word in your response, right?xlolx

Sure, but if your having that much trouble with historically terrible El Cid, I'd be pretty worried about the rest of your season (much like I am about JMU). Seeing as Elon, Furman and GSU have new linebackers.

http://pawnshopgeorgia.com/cart/5/456123.jpg

EmeryZach
October 3rd, 2009, 11:54 PM
The Flying Dutchmen do it!!!!! Holy cow. I was absolutely shocked!!! Congrats Hofstra!

93henfan
October 4th, 2009, 01:53 AM
The beer is colder tonight, the wife is prettier, the kids are better looking, life is good right now for the Buckster. xnodx

:p xthumbsupx Congrats Uncle Buck.

I don't know why you were giving me isht for predicting Hofstra to score points in the past few weeks. They're another good CAA team. Maybe not Top 15 good yet, but good nevertheless.

There are no gimme games in the CAA. Well, other than Andy's squad. xlolx (and now I've pretty much jinxed the Hens at Unitas)

Uncle Buck
October 4th, 2009, 06:14 AM
:p xthumbsupx Congrats Uncle Buck.

I don't know why you were giving me isht for predicting Hofstra to score points in the past few weeks. They're another good CAA team. Maybe not Top 15 good yet, but good nevertheless.

There are no gimme games in the CAA. Well, other than Andy's squad. xlolx (and now I've pretty much jinxed the Hens at Unitas)

I swear it was like watching a different offense out there yesterday. It was a bit more creative but most of all, it found that a 6'6" TE can be a good offensive weapon. Like i said, not sure where we go from here, but i'm enjoying this one until i light the grill for the Maine tailgate. xthumbsupx

Bull Fan
October 4th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Realize, 93hen, we had lost confidence in the offense... partially because of the quarterback execution, mostly on playcalling. The coaches actually found a way to get the ball downfield to the TE. As a bonus, some of those dives and options we were hollering at were getting some yards. Still think they could've been a bit more aggressive to try and put away Madison earlier on in the game.

Uncle Buck
October 4th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Still think they could've been a bit more aggressive to try and put away Madison earlier on in the game.

I agree. The last series before we kicked the FG. We started at the JMU 20 after Jordan Dangerfield had the big return on the INT. With 3:53 to play and JMU having to expect the run, instead of going with what had been working and gain yards up the middle, we run a reverse that fooled no one and went for a loss of 6. Then we go dive up the middle for 1 and and incomplete pass before making a 42 yard FG.

At that point, i thought we went away from what had been working and it could have bit us in the backside. The only positive, unlike the blocked kick where the snap came rolling back on the floor, Greco was able to knock it through to put us up by 7. That FG was crucial.

elon77
October 4th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Where is Alexale? xconfusedx

mcveyrl
October 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Overreaction but I do think JMU will not be playoff-bound barring some major improvements. I'm thinking 6-5 (4-4).

Lot of football left to play, anything can and will happen.

Yea, it is what it is. I just watched the GameCast on my phone, but it seemed like our youth showed itself today. Lots of mistakes and Hofstra played well.

There was probably a lot of looking forward...hope it works because we'll need it now. There's a real chance that we'll be 2-5 in three weeks if we don't get our stuff together. I still think we play UR, Nova and W&M and have a chance to win those games, but we won't be close to favored in any of them.

If we make the playoffs it will be because we got on a roll. Either way, this loss does not bode well for us on the road.

alexale23
October 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Where is Alexale? xconfusedx

Im crying but I came to a realization we have 2 1st year QBS and i have down graded my expectations for this year. But hear this Thorpe will bring a title to Harrisonburg before he graduates. Congrats to Hofstra Big win. If we have any hope of playoffs this year we gonna have to come up real big the next 2 weeks. But the way its looking JMU gonna have a 3 game losing streak and for the most part be on the outside looking in. Ill still be in Harrisonburg for the coming 2 weeks. So If any1 wanna have a beer hit me up.

JMU Newbill
October 4th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Im crying but I came to a realization we have 2 1st year QBS and i have down graded my expectations for this year. But hear this Thorpe will bring a title to Harrisonburg before he graduates. Congrats to Hofstra Big win. If we have any hope of playoffs this year we gonna have to come up real big the next 2 weeks. But the way its looking JMU gonna have a 3 game losing streak and for the most part be on the outside looking in. Ill still be in Harrisonburg for the coming 2 weeks. So If any1 wanna have a beer hit me up.

xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
October 4th, 2009, 11:44 PM
1st of all, congrats to HU. JMU overall had better players (or more overall talent), but on Sat, HU clearly had the better team.

JMU start to finish, JMU looked plain flat. Clearly weren't mentally, emotionally ready or focused on this game. HU on the other hand, looked like they were fired up and ready to play from the get go.

The whole team with the exception of Moats (came into the game leading the nation in TFL, and added 6 tackles, 2.5 TFL, including 2 sacks) sucked the 1st half, was a flat out "F". Down 21-3. JMU twice failed to cover the HU tightend #87, who caught 2 balls, both for TDs in the 1st half. He ended up with 4 catches for 65 yards.

At least the defense though really turned it around the 2nd half, holding HU to a FG (which came after the 4th qtr Dudzick INT which was returned to the JMU 20). 287 yrds offense for HU. 213 in the 1st half, 74 in the second.

Overall the offense was a flat out "F".

O-line play was poor. Through the 1st 4 games Dorian Brooks has been playing like the pre season AA he was billed to be, and Theo Sherman, 3rd yr starting at tackle, has been playing well. But the center play has been at times horrendous, and it seems like on many plays there is one-2 guys on the o-line, be it running plays or pass protection, not getting the job done. For the HU game JMU moved Babington to center and had a new starting guard. Supposedly that was due to the starting center having an injured ankle, but maybe that was a cover for removing him. Its a reminder of how fortunate JMU was to have Scott Lemm starting at center the last 3 seasons, and being an AA last season. Bottom line "as a unit" the o-line hasn't been playing very well.

Receivers weren't getting separation. Granted, Kerby Long is out, and Bosco Williams just started practicing this past week after being out of all camp (#5, he was in for a few plays), but no excuse as other guys have to step up. I only saw one pass thrown towards Caussin (by Dudzick) which was completed for 8 yards. I don't recall Thorpe ever throwing it to Caussin. Maybe one of the reasons Caussin has publicly commented he thinks Dudzick should be the starter.

Acker wasn't getting the job done at tailback. Didn't look like his usual speedy self, making the cuts we've seen him make before. He basically got replaced by Noble in the 2nd half, who looked lost.

Dudzick clearly wasn't himself.
-Is he getting frustrated or discouraged by MM's continued insistence on rotating QBs every series?
-Sure their was off and on rain the 1st half, but HU dealt with it.
-Sure the o-line wasn't blocking well.
Whatever it was, this was BY FAR Dudzik's worst game.

Thorpe came into this came seeming like he tucked and ran on 60-70% of called pass plays. Against HU it seemed like 80+%. Granted you would rather have a QB run it than force a throw into coverage, and who has the ability to make big plays running it, but tucking and running on 20-30% of called pass plays is one thing. Tucking and running on 80% is another. He's either not seeing guys open and tucking and running, or not throwing it unless they're wide open and tucking and running, or due to pressure (o-line not getting the job done) tucking and running. Maybe Thorpe should just be called "Tuck-and-Run".

BDKJMU
October 4th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Plays that stood out (negative for JMU):
-late 2nd quarter Dudzick fumbling the shotgun snap recovered by HU. I couldn't tell who's fault that was, but I going to assume it was the center.

-After that HU driving in JMU territory and McGee drops HU pass right in his hands. The only thing that kept it from being a "sure INT" was he didn't catch it. HU went on to score their 3rd and last TD with 5 seconds left in the half.

-1st JMU possession of the 4th quarter Tuck-And-Run made a bad pitch to Noble. Noble got both his hands on it and should have held on to it. Ended up being a loss of 17.

-Dudzicks horrendous pass that was picked off on JMU's next to last possesison of the game.

-After Tuck-And-Run actually threw it (the 35 yd up for grabs completion to Rockheed at the HU 24 with 1:07 left) I thought for sure JMU was going to tie it up and win in OT. Then the next thing I know Tuck-And-Run is chasing after the ball that has been snapped 20 yards past him. Now 2nd and 30. I assume again, this was a bad snap on the center.

-2 plays later Dudzick (who had come in for Tuck-And-Run) threw the 27 yard completion to McCarter that was called for off pass int. Good call? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. But now we're down to 3rd and 45, and that was essentially the ballgame, and pretty much any realistic playoff hopes for JMU along with it..

BDKJMU
October 4th, 2009, 11:46 PM
HU has such a nice stadium. Too bad, because the only thing as pathetic as JMU's play was the crowd. Before the 47 min lightning delay there may have been I'm guessing 1,500 people there, maybe 1/4 JMU. The attendance was listed at 2,751, but whoever came up with that must have been on crack. After the weather delay there had to be under 1k. That wasn't a high school varsity crowd. That was a JV HS crowd. I literally was able to walk from one 25 yd line to the other following the action. In one row near the top. That's right, I literally had an entire row, 50 yards, all to myself.

BDKJMU
October 5th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Actually what was more pathetic than the play of JMU and the size of the crowd was the actions of a handful of JMU 20-something "fans" (I use the term towards these idiots loosely) at the end of the game. The fence on the isleway at the bottom of the bleachers on the visitor side was literally about 10-20 feet from where the players and coaches were on the sideline. I was out of the stadium pretty quickly at the end. I, like a lot of JMU fans, was stunned at what we'd just witnessed, pissed, what have you. Kind of had tunnel vision when I was walking out. I noticed one early 20 something JMU fan, probably drunk (everone was allowed to leave and re-enter during the 47 min weather delay, and since most JMU fans were parked right behind the stadium, many took the opportunity for a drinking break) right at the fence screaming something to the players and coaches. The only thing I remember hearing was "f*%#*^# Hofstra" I kind of tuned it out. Well, afterward I heard there was a group of 20- something JMU "fans" (probably young alums) yelling all kinds of vulgarities at the JMU players and coaches as they walked off the field. xmadx Of course with the small crowd I'm sure everyone could hear it. This isn't the pros, these are 17-23 yr olds, and there were, like at all games, little kids there. Flat out classless embarrassment on a handful of jerks from JMU. A lot of people have commented on this over on the JMU page on the Zone.

Dukie95
October 5th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Well, now we finally have a good idea of what kind of team we have post-Landers and JMU has now shifted into the underdog role. It's going to be difficult to make the playoffs, not only with this record, but even if we had pulled out the win yesterday, it's clear this team has some weaknesses that will be exploited by better teams.

On the bright side. We have the number 1 team coming in to our house this weekend, so at least we have a chance to right this horse on our own merit.

Hats off to Hofstra, they came out with a game plan to get the win and executed it to perfection.

JMUNJ08
October 5th, 2009, 08:05 AM
The team I feel needs some direction. The flip-flopping at Hofstra really is affecting both QB's. Dudzik cannot get into a rhythm and wonders what he has to do to win the job. His throws looked like he was cold. While it was mentioned that "tuck-and-run" refuses to throw, isn't that because he knows his legs are his best asset now and he has less of a chance of making a "big play" for the other team? I see in a few years that he will clearly be a great leader for this team but should we throw away the season for the future?

Mickey needs to make a decision or this is going to be a real rough stretch of games.

JMUNJ08
October 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Actually what was more pathetic than the play of JMU and the size of the crowd was the actions of a handful of JMU 20-something "fans" (I use the term towards these idiots loosely) at the end of the game. The fence on the isleway at the bottom of the bleachers on the visitor side was literally about 10-20 feet from where the players and coaches were on the sideline. I was out of the stadium pretty quickly at the end. I, like a lot of JMU fans, was stunned at what we'd just witnessed, pissed, what have you. Kind of had tunnel vision when I was walking out. I noticed one early 20 something JMU fan, probably drunk (everone was allowed to leave and re-enter during the 47 min weather delay, and since most JMU fans were parked right behind the stadium, many took the opportunity for a drinking break) right at the fence screaming something to the players and coaches. The only thing I remember hearing was "f*%#*^# Hofstra" I kind of tuned it out. Well, afterward I heard there was a group of 20- something JMU "fans" (probably young alums) yelling all kinds of vulgarities at the JMU players and coaches as they walked off the field. xmadx Of course with the small crowd I'm sure everyone could hear it. This isn't the pros, these are 17-23 yr olds, and there were, like at all games, little kids there. Flat out classless embarrassment on a handful of jerks from JMU. A lot of people have commented on this over on the JMU page on the Zone.

I talked to my friend about this. He is just a huge fan with great expectations for this young team. Its tough when you know what is coming up next for this group. This was a must win for JMU in this young season and its tough to swallow. Also, if you heard him right the blame was not put on the players. While it is ultimately their performance on the field that wins/loses a game, he was on MM. The kids are put into certain positions by the coaches to succeed and with kids not knowing who is the leader on the field, its hard to rally around a guy. If we had just 1 QB and lost that game, it would have been rough. When I played sports in HS the worst feeling was not knowing who was going to be out on the field/court and given a chance to show that they deserved it. Even if the guys are given a full half to play it would be better than every other series.

I have him stopping the vulgarities and I apoligize for him. Lets rally around these kids and give them the support warranted no matter the coaching decisions. Sorry to all JMU fans in attendance.

Someone please post this over on the JMU page as I am not a member of the 'zone. No reason to pin fans against one another.

JMUNJ08
October 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I forgot to mention that Hofstra did play a great game. JMU was the better team coming in but not on the field. It could have been much worse if some of those deep balls found their mark. Wish you guys had more support at home as the stadium was better than expected.xthumbsupx

There was no way there was 2,500 people there. Season ticket holders were definitely counted...twice.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Congrats Uncle Buck!! Hope that Toasted Lager completed an excellent day!!!!! xnodx :D

Bull Fan
October 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the gracious responses here. With the 2-QB issue, sounds like JMU and HU have a similar issue. We feel your frustration!

HU has such a nice stadium. Too bad, because the only thing as pathetic as JMU's play was the crowd. Before the 47 min lightning delay there may have been I'm guessing 1,500 people there, maybe 1/4 JMU. The attendance was listed at 2,751, but whoever came up with that must have been on crack. After the weather delay there had to be under 1k. That wasn't a high school varsity crowd. That was a JV HS crowd. I I literally was able to walk from one 25 yd line to the other following the action. In one row near the top. That's right, I literally had an entire row, 50 yards, all to myself.

This is funny, and trust me I'm not rubbing your noses in it JMU fans, but from what I understand Matthews called Hofstra games (to paraphrase) "spring games" because of the attendance. I guess sometimes it's best to keep those remarks from anyone who would publish them. Well, Mickey, how'd that spring game go?

Hey, great win for the DUTCH. Regardless of how your season plays out, we feel that was a win over a very good team in JMU. Good luck the rest of the way....

Uncle Buck
October 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I forgot to mention that Hofstra did play a great game. JMU was the better team coming in but not on the field. It could have been much worse if some of those deep balls found their mark. Wish you guys had more support at home as the stadium was better than expected.xthumbsupx

There was no way there was 2,500 people there. Season ticket holders were definitely counted...twice.

Trust me, i wish we did too. Even during our playoff years, attendance was typically anywhere from 5-7K. I don't think we will ever fill it for football, it's just not big time enough for the LI/NY market. Too bad they don't know the quality of some of the players at this level, and that's even with the success of Chrebet and Colston.

As for counting season ticket holder twice, i probably counted for more than that. When i go into the stadium i walk to the side of the turnstile and spin it with my hand. I spun that thing like the big wheel on The Price is Right!

Uncle Buck
October 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Congrats Uncle Buck!! Hope that Toasted Lager completed an excellent day!!!!! xnodx :D

The toasted was as cold and smooth as i expected. In fact, i even took some time yesterday to knock down a few Heineken Lights and a couple of Blue Moon while rehashing the game at a friends house.

Bull Fan
October 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Spinning wheel got to go 'round! I also spin it a couple of times as we head through the gates!

BDKJMU
October 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
The team I feel needs some direction. The flip-flopping at Hofstra really is affecting both QB's. Dudzik cannot get into a rhythm and wonders what he has to do to win the job. His throws looked like he was cold. While it was mentioned that "tuck-and-run" refuses to throw, isn't that because he knows his legs are his best asset now and he has less of a chance of making a "big play" for the other team? I see in a few years that he will clearly be a great leader for this team but should we throw away the season for the future?

Mickey needs to make a decision or this is going to be a real rough stretch of games.

I mostly agree. I said before the HU debacle (along with just about every other JMU fan on here, the Zone, JMUSports.net, or that I've talked to in person), Dudzik should be named the starter. Now after HU it seems like the majority are saying JUST PICK ONE, EITHER of them, but quit this asinine rotating every series. It's one thing to go with one guy for a quarter or a half, then let the next guy play the next quarter or half unless the 1st guy in totally on fire, but this rotating every series is asinine.

Maybe for the MD game MM truly didn't know which would be the eventual starter, then thought he could get away with continuing to rotate the next 3 games until UR, then pick one, and if he went down, then would have another at least with some experience. Well if that was the plan it obviously came back to bite him in the arse.

I still think it should be Drew starting (and I've been at every game). However, I don't think Tuck-And-Run should be standing on the sidelines next to MM holding a clipboard. He is too good of an athlete at this level for that. With Sully out at tailback (god I hope he is back for UR), Kerby Long at WR out till Nov, and Bosco at WR just getting back into playing shape there's opportunity to get Thorpe on the field on offense at other than QB (slot receiver/wingback?) and get him some touches (like the Eagles are doing with Vick). JMU did that with Landers some in 06' when Rascatti was a rSr and Landers was a rSo.

BDKJMU
October 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I talked to my friend about this. He is just a huge fan with great expectations for this young team. Its tough when you know what is coming up next for this group. This was a must win for JMU in this young season and its tough to swallow. Also, if you heard him right the blame was not put on the players. While it is ultimately their performance on the field that wins/loses a game, he was on MM. The kids are put into certain positions by the coaches to succeed and with kids not knowing who is the leader on the field, its hard to rally around a guy. If we had just 1 QB and lost that game, it would have been rough. When I played sports in HS the worst feeling was not knowing who was going to be out on the field/court and given a chance to show that they deserved it. Even if the guys are given a full half to play it would be better than every other series.

I have him stopping the vulgarities and I apoligize for him. Lets rally around these kids and give them the support warranted no matter the coaching decisions. Sorry to all JMU fans in attendance.

Someone please post this over on the JMU page as I am not a member of the 'zone. No reason to pin fans against one another.

Replied to your PM.

Uncle Buck
October 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Since the thread keeps popping up and i was at the game, i'll just add this. That kid Thorpe has great wheels and man, i'll be damned how he got away to scramble and convert some of those 3rd and long situations. Dudzik had an off day and never had a chance to get into a groove.

They are both good players, but Thorpe they should use his legs more as part of the attack rather than just waiting for his scramble. Dudzik should be the arm but he is also a guy who could beat you with his legs. If you're going to use two QB's, the offensive playcalling should fit their strengths, i didn't see that Saturday and i think it was mentioned here or somewhere else as well. But that Thorpe kid, he made me nervous as hell running with the ball.

BDKJMU
October 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Since the thread keeps popping up and i was at the game, i'll just add this. That kid Thorpe has great wheels and man, i'll be damned how he got away to scramble and convert some of those 3rd and long situations. Dudzik had an off day and never had a chance to get into a groove.

They are both good players, but Thorpe they should use his legs more as part of the attack rather than just waiting for his scramble. Dudzik should be the arm but he is also a guy who could beat you with his legs. If you're going to use two QB's, the offensive playcalling should fit their strengths, i didn't see that Saturday and i think it was mentioned here or somewhere else as well. But that Thorpe kid, he made me nervous as hell running with the ball.

This might sound like excuses here, but on MM's radio show today he said Dudzik suffered a concussion in the 1st half vs Hofstra (but didn't know till after the game). Mickey said in hindsight they shouldn't have played him in the 2nd half.
This would partially explain Dudzik playing so poorly.
http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?t=84919

Drew's 2nd concussion in about 6 months. Does he play vs UR? (Thats probably a question that needs to be addressed in the yet to be created UR @ JMU thread).

As far as Thorpe, we all know he is a phenominal athlete, even better than Landers. Sure when their is heavy pressure (because JMU's line obviously isn't as dominant as last yr's) or no one open you can tuck and run it. But that can't be the case 80% of the time. Thorpe needs to do a better job of seeing the field, finding an open receiver, and not being afraid to pull the trigger, as opposed to tucking and running when the primary receiver isn't open or at the 1st sign of pressure.

Uncle Buck
October 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
This might sound like excuses here, but on MM's radio show today he said Dudzik suffered a concussion in the 1st half vs Hofstra (but didn't know till after the game)....

Definitely does not sound like an excuse. Injuries are part of the game and if the kid was dinged it could definitely hurt his ability to make plays. I remember early on in the game he took a hit and had his helmet knocked off. Though from where i was sitting, you couldn't tell if he got popped or it just came off. Either way, i hope he's okay since head injuries are nothing to mess around with.

LawDutch
October 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I think Thorpe has to be the guy at JMU down the line. Awesome athlete, like easy 1-A athlete. I don't remember Landers being a great passer either, but it worked out well. If Dudzik was playing with a concussion that explains some things, but definitely more impressed with Thorpe's athleticism more than anything.

Dukie95
October 6th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I watched the game on-line and the Hofstra commentators were also surprised when Dudzik came back in the game - they were almost relieved to not see Thorpe.

The thing is, that's the first game this season where Thorpe looked like the better player. Typically, when games have been on the line, (such as the 4th quarters against UMD and Liberty) he's gone with Dudzik. Thorpe's a better athlete, but Dudzik knows the offense better.

Going into the game, everyone was calling for Dudzick to be the starter, so all this game did was futher cloud the issue.

Also, about the Dudzik concussion reported a few posts back... Reports this morning are that he didn't, in fact, have a concussion. They followed standard procedures and evaluated him for a consussion after that helmet-tossing hit but he was fine. That seems to be a rumor that's taken on a life of its own.

JMU Newbill
October 6th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I think Thorpe has to be the guy at JMU down the line. Awesome athlete, like easy 1-A athlete. I don't remember Landers being a great passer either, but it worked out well. If Dudzik was playing with a concussion that explains some things, but definitely more impressed with Thorpe's athleticism more than anything.

Landers would have been top 3 in passing efficiency if he had the # of attempts to qualify, FYI. He had more passing TD's than a lot of qb's in passing systems.

BDKJMU
October 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Also, about the Dudzik concussion reported a few posts back... Reports this morning are that he didn't, in fact, have a concussion. They followed standard procedures and evaluated him for a consussion after that helmet-tossing hit but he was fine. That seems to be a rumor that's taken on a life of its own.

The only one's claiming he didn't have a concussion are some people on the CAA Zone. But from the DNR (which due to being subscription now links won't do any good):

"Matthews said Dudzik, who was also knocked out of JMU's annual spring game in April with a concussion, "didn't tell anyone" about Saturday's concussion, although Matthews said his conversation with Dudzik after one botched play in the third quarter suggested that things weren't quite right."

and:

"Dudzik said the injury occurred on JMU's sixth offensive play, a third-and-14 at the Dukes' 40-yard line, when he threw an incomplete pass to Marcus Turner, who hurt a hip on the same play.

Tom Kuster, JMU's assistant athletic director for sports medicine, said Monday the team's medical staff was aware of Dudzik's concussion but cleared him after examining him on the sideline. Kuster said medical guidelines allow for college athletes to re-enter a contest within 15 minutes of a concussion if their symptoms have cleared up."

So the rumor appears to be some people statting he didn't have one.

JMU Newbill
October 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Dudzik may as well hang up his cleats.... he is too fragile to run JMU's offense.

Bull Fan
October 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Man, I can't believe in today's day and age they'd risk an injury like that.

Uncle Buck
October 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I watched the game on-line and the Hofstra commentators were also surprised when Dudzik came back in the game - they were almost relieved to not see Thorpe.

We were saying the same thing in the stands. It wasn't so much his arm that scared us, it was the handful of 3rd and long situations where he scrambled for big gains and first downs.

BDKJMU
October 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM

The thing is, that's the first game this season where Thorpe looked like the better player. Typically, when games have been on the line, (such as the 4th quarters against UMD and Liberty) he's gone with Dudzik. Thorpe's a better athlete, but Dudzik knows the offense better.

Going into the game, everyone was calling for Dudzick to be the starter, so all this game did was futher cloud the issue.

Beating a dead horse here, but it wasn't a rumor:

Matthews: Dudzik Suffered Concussion at Hofstra
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/63563437.html