PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Sports: Long journey to Bucs’ lineup for Johnson

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiRv0ggo_yncv_OzLhLhi6JDubYF?slug=jc-bucsjohnson100109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Those were the days – when Johnson played for the University of San Diego, a Roman Catholic school that sits atop a hill overlooking the city’s Mission Valley district and plays Division I-AA football in the Pioneer Football League.

Pioneer would be an understatement. Lewis and Clark might have had it easier.

USD’s closest rival is Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, which is 1,741 miles away by car and about 1,500 by airplane (assuming there is no connection between San Diego and Des Moines). San Diego’s supposed archrival is Dayton, in Ohio, which doesn’t exactly qualify as any type of turf war. Most of the schools in the conference, such as Davidson, Jacksonville and Marist, are in the Eastern time zone.

“It was a lot of long trips,” said Johnson, shaking his head slightly at the memory.

“He told the media, ‘Josh Johnson could be playing in the Pac-10; he’s better than [2006 Heisman Trophy winner] Troy Smith(notes) and Brady Quinn,’ ”(notes) Johnson said, still a little sheepish about Harbaugh’s big talk. Harbaugh, who’s now at Stanford, took it a step farther: He offered to help Johnson transfer to a bigger school.

“He told me, ‘If you want to go to a Pac-10 school, a bigger school, I’ll help you,’ ” Johnson said. “I told him, ‘That’s OK, I’m comfortable here.’ I wanted to see that through at San Diego.”

Johnson’s father, Gordon, said Cal and Stanford (after Harbaugh took the job there in 2007) sniffed around to see if Johnson might leave USD. Both times, Johnson didn’t give it a second thought.

xeekx

xthumbsupx

Foosball
October 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
great article on Josh and good exposure for PFL!