PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Prognostications - 9/27

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Very tough this week. Toughest this season!

Added on the 'outside looking in' because there were a good four, five teams that I considered before making the final determinations.

Automatic Bids
Big Sky: Montana
Colonial: Richmond
MEAC: Florida A&M
MVFC: Northern Iowa
OVC: Eastern Illinois
Patriot: Holy Cross
SoCon: Elon
Southland: Stephen F. Austin

At-Large
Massachussetts
Villanova
William & Mary
New Hampshire
McNeese State
South Dakota State
Furman
Youngstown State

On the Outside, Looking In
South Carolina State
Colgate
Texas State-San Marcos
Southern Illinois

Bracket
Eastern Illinois at (1) Richmond
Florida A&M at Furman

New Hampshire at (4) Northern Iowa
William & Mary at Elon

Holy Cross at (3) Villanova
South Dakota State at Massachussetts

Youngstown State at McNeese State
Stephen F. Austin at (2) Montana

danefan
September 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM
you've got HC in and out.

Probably meant outside looking in as Colgate?

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 07:57 AM
you've got HC in and out.

Probably meant outside looking in as Colgate?

Fixed. Yes, meant Colgate. Thanks for catching it. xthumbsupx

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I dont know if YSU will be on the outside looking in or not after seeing their game against the sycamores, they didnt pull away till late in the fourth quarter. If the Sycs had any offense at all they would have won most likely.

danefan
September 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I think this is pretty darn accurate. I'm not sure I remember seeing as much clarity in playoff talk this early in the season.

The CAA has completely separated itself from the rest of the FCS.

The fringe teams are out (Liberty, Albany, etc.).

Its hard to see how a PL team could get an at-large. Same for the MEAC.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I dont know if YSU will be on the outside looking in or not after seeing their game against the sycamores, they didnt pull away till late in the fourth quarter. If the Sycs had any offense at all they would have won most likely.

A win is a win. Was surprised when they went into the fourth quarter only up a TD.

The MVFC is 'rough and tumble' - no telling which team(s) emerge there and by putting YSU on that list, it reminds me to keep tabs!

KAUMASS
September 27th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Looks accurate for now, although I would still consider App. State, Weber St. & JMU still lurking...

FurmanPaladins4138
September 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Wait-

No Appalachian State, and Yes Furman?

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Appy State has a tough road...

Perhaps this will serve as bulletin board material to push their efforts? ;)

appfan2008
September 27th, 2009, 08:35 AM
app st aint even looking in???

we shall see...

ASU_Fanatic
September 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Im goin to laugh when ASU cruises through the Socon and the playoffs to win a 4th national championship.

appirishmen
September 27th, 2009, 08:46 AM
yea no.......i call bs on this.....

smallcollegefbfan
September 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Added on the 'outside looking in' because there were a good four, five teams that I considered before making the final determinations.

Automatic Bids

At-Large
Eastern Washington
Massachussetts
Villanova
William & Mary
New Hampshire
McNeese State
South Dakota State
Furman

Youngstown State
South Carolina State
Colgate
Texas State-San Marcos
Southern Illinois

Bracket
Florida A&M at Furman

William & Mary at Elon

Eastern Washington at McNeese State

I don't see 5 CAA teams making it in. None of them have played each other yet but it starts this week. UNH has Villanova and UMASS in the next 3 weeks while William & Mary is on tape late in the year. Then Richmond has JMU, UMASS, Villanova, and W&M. Then Villanova has W&M, UNH, and JMU in the next 3 weeks and has Richmond and Delaware late in the year. JMU has Richmond, Villanova, W&M, UMASS, and Delaware left on the schedule. UMASS has Delaware, New Hampshire, JMU, and Richmond. Then W&M has Villanova, JMU, UNH, and Richmond on tap.

The CAA is the best league in FCS but teams are going to start beating up on each other here over the next 3 weeks and I think 2 of them are going to fall out of the top 15 because of it. UNH likely loses to Villanova and W&M. That would give them 2 losses and drop them a good bit. Villanova should beat everyone on their schedule except maybe Richmond but could easily lose 3 games. W&M is likely going to lose 1-2 games but if they win out then I think they should be #1. JMU has 3 very very tough games left and could lose 1-2 games. If they lose 2 more they are a 3 loss team. It is going to get interesting.

For some reason I think the CAA gets 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs this year and the SoCon will get 2. I could see the Southland getting 2 teams in this year. My prediction is that we will have a very good feel for the playoff field here in about 4 weeks. I think we will know who is the top team or at least the top 2-3 from the CAA as teams start to fall. The one good thing about teams who have played tough schedules so far is that they already know what they got. We aren't quite sure which team is going to be the best in the CAA yet but we will have a good idea by late October.

Look at the great games we have on the schedule for this week as we will start to see the pretenders and contenders starting over the next 3 weeks especially.

We have Villanova vs. W&M, Elon vs. Furman,; ASU vs. Citadel, Cal Poly vs. SDSU, and EIU vs. EKU. If I had to predict these games I am going to say Villanova in a close one, Elon, ASU, EKU, and I think the Cal Poly vs. SDSU is a toss up. I am very scared to pick that one but whoever wins is going to be in prime position for a playoff bid.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
It's just fun to start discussion on this...

It's shown the last few weeks, that we've had a fair share and I agree - lots of these guys have not played each other as conference begins this week and next for most of the leagues.

Teams can win their ways in (yes you - Southern Illinois) and others are already on the verge of eliminating themselves outside of winning the conference...

appfan2008
September 27th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I don't see 5 CAA teams making it in. None of them have played each other yet but it starts this week. UNH has Villanova and UMASS in the next 3 weeks while William & Mary is on tape late in the year. Then Richmond has JMU, UMASS, Villanova, and W&M. Then Villanova has W&M, UNH, and JMU in the next 3 weeks and has Richmond and Delaware late in the year. JMU has Richmond, Villanova, W&M, UMASS, and Delaware left on the schedule. UMASS has Delaware, New Hampshire, JMU, and Richmond. Then W&M has Villanova, JMU, UNH, and Richmond on tap.

The CAA is the best league in FCS but teams are going to start beating up on each other here over the next 3 weeks and I think 2 of them are going to fall out of the top 15 because of it. UNH likely loses to Villanova and W&M. That would give them 2 losses and drop them a good bit. Villanova should beat everyone on their schedule except maybe Richmond but could easily lose 3 games. W&M is likely going to lose 1-2 games but if they win out then I think they should be #1. JMU has 3 very very tough games left and could lose 1-2 games. If they lose 2 more they are a 3 loss team. It is going to get interesting.

For some reason I think the CAA gets 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs this year and the SoCon will get 2. I could see the Southland getting 2 teams in this year. My prediction is that we will have a very good feel for the playoff field here in about 4 weeks. I think we will know who is the top team or at least the top 2-3 from the CAA as teams start to fall. The one good thing about teams who have played tough schedules so far is that they already know what they got. We aren't quite sure which team is going to be the best in the CAA yet but we will have a good idea by late October.

Look at the great games we have on the schedule for this week as we will start to see the pretenders and contenders starting over the next 3 weeks especially.

We have Villanova vs. W&M, Elon vs. Furman,; ASU vs. Citadel, Cal Poly vs. SDSU, and EIU vs. EKU. If I had to predict these games I am going to say Villanova in a close one, Elon, ASU, EKU, and I think the Cal Poly vs. SDSU is a toss up. I am very scared to pick that one but whoever wins is going to be in prime position for a playoff bid.

lots of good games and those caa teams almost have too many good ones for their own good... the caa may come back to haunt themselves with all these teams...

smallcollegefbfan
September 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM
It's just fun to start discussion on this...

It's shown the last few weeks, that we've had a fair share and I agree - lots of these guys have not played each other as conference begins this week and next for most of the leagues.

Teams can win their ways in (yes you - Southern Illinois) and others are already on the verge of eliminating themselves outside of winning the conference...

The funny thing is that I look at this coming week as the start of the playoffs because anyone can run the table and get in among the auto bid leagues and this week's rankings will mean nothing at the end. Teams need to consider now as playoff time as those with 1-2 losses can win out and still make a good case for a seed while those in the top 5 could possibly lose 2-3 games and fall out all together or end up on the road the entire playoffs. This is why I love the non FBS levels because anyone can win it. You guys see on ESPN where they were talking about which team (Boise State, Utah, Houston, TCU, BYU, etc.)? We know that only 3 of them could possibly run the table but why should only one be allowed in if they all do it? Everyone at our level (as long as they are not in transition) is eligible and that is a great thing!

mango43
September 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
As of right now, I would give the MVFC auto bid to SDSU as they are winning the conference and UNI an at-large bid, but that's just me.

mcveyrl
September 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
lots of good games and those caa teams almost have too many good ones for their own good... the caa may come back to haunt themselves with all these teams...

Yea, I told a buddy of mine that we could be the fifth best team in the country (not that we are) and still be 6-5.

Actually, as the rankings have us now, we're the 7th best team in the country, but would finish 7-4 (losses to UR, Nova, and W&M who are all ranked higher).

BDKJMU
September 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM
app st aint even looking in???

we shall see...

Yeah, same for JMU. What a joke...

IaaScribe
September 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Isn't Eastern Washington ineligible for the playoffs, or has something changed in that regard?

BDKJMU
September 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Automatic Bids

At-Large
Eastern Washington
Massachussetts
Villanova
William & Mary
New Hampshire
McNeese State
South Dakota State
Furman

Youngstown State
South Carolina State
Colgate
Texas State-San Marcos
Southern Illinois

Bracket
Florida A&M at Furman

William & Mary at Elon

EWU is playoff ineligible. So no ASU or JMU even on the outside looking in, and a playoff ineligible team is in there. You need to lay down your crack pipe..xlolxxlolxxlolx

Furman as at at largexrolleyesx Furman to get in will likely have go 7-1 in the So-Con (which would likely at least tie for the title). 2 I-A losses and no 7-4 team is going to get an at large this season.

About the only thing more retarded than a Sept playoff prognostication is this playoff prognostication.xlolxxlolx

BDKJMU
September 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM

50/50 the CAA will have 5 teams at 8-3 or better this year. And if that happens, the CAA will be getting 5 in. Remember last year all the non CAA folks were saying the CAA ain't getting 5 in, no way, blah, blah, and look what happened.

I'm willing to bet my bank account the CAA gets at least 4.

Almost zero chance it will only be 3 as you state the possibility of.

BobcatTXST04
September 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Honestly at this point, I could see the SLC sending two teams potentially.

SFA is burning hot right now, quite possibly going to be this year's UCA in terms of passing yards and scoring. Can they run the table in SLC play? Quite possibly so.

If they do run the table, I could see the winner of TXST / MSU being a 1-loss at large bid (that is IF we get our defense together and stop throwing INT's).

Now the rest of the SLC is also becoming stronger right now as well, so while SFA is the pre-conference, last year's conference champion wasn't decided until the final game, so it looks like it might be a wide-open conference.

txstatebobcat
September 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Automatic Bids

At-Large
Eastern Washington
Massachussetts
Villanova
William & Mary
New Hampshire
McNeese State
South Dakota State
Furman

Youngstown State
South Carolina State
Colgate
Texas State-San Marcos
Southern Illinois

Bracket
Florida A&M at Furman

William & Mary at Elon

I hate to say it, but I tend to agree with you. SFA has looked really good the last three weeks. However if we win against SUU this week, I think that that TxST really has a chance against both SFA and MSU since both schools come to San Marcos this year.

MSUBear42
September 27th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Once again, SIU deserves an at-large.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Brain fart on EWU...did not have them in last week and have replaced them with Youngstown State making the trip to McNeese.

Big Al
September 27th, 2009, 11:19 AM
UNI as a #4 seed? Smoking dope.

1. To date they have shown themselves to be a 1-2 seed. Outscored their opponents 141-31. In the last 3 games, they've allowed 2 touchdowns, going for 10 straight quarters without allowing so much as a field goal. For that matter, MSU's score yesterday was in the final 30 seconds against the 2-3 string defense.

2. As long as Richmond and UNI keep playing at their current levels, the selection committee won't put them on the same side of the bracket. The playoffs will be much better/more interesting if there is a potential for the teams to meet again on the field in Chattanooga.

Skjellyfetti
September 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM
This reminds me of Texas Terror's Payton award ballot last year.

Armanti not in the top 5. xlolx

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 11:54 AM

For as much crap as I am getting - where is everyone else's prognostications? I'm fueling discussion, both positive and negative. Come on folks - have some chutzpah and give us your insight!

This reminds me of Texas Terror's Payton award ballot last year.

Armanti not in the top 5. xlolx

I thought that Armanti was in the top five on my ballot. Know he was not tops. Can't recall, will have to fish that out. xreadx

Skjellyfetti
September 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I thought that Armanti was in the top five on my ballot. Know he was not tops. Can't recall, will have to fish that out. xreadx

I did not vote AE in my top five...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53533&highlight=payton+ballot

ericsaid
September 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah, App lopst two close games. The worlds crashing in on everyone else for FCS. You guys are as bad as some of the App fans themselves.

Counting them out after two five point losses to ECU and McNeese. Not the cupcakes to say the least. We'll see.

Skjellyfetti
September 27th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Automatic Bids
MEAC: South Carolina State
MVFC: South Dakota State
Southland: McNeese State

At-Large
Massachussetts
Villanova
William & Mary
New Hampshire
Southern Illinois
South Dakota State
Weber State
Appalachian State

Skjellyfetti
September 27th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Automatic Bids

At-Large
Massachussetts
Villanova
William & Mary
New Hampshire
Southern Illinois
South Dakota State
UNI
Appalachian State

Skjellyfetti
September 27th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Automatic Bids

At-Large
Massachussetts
Villanova
William & Mary
New Hampshire
Southern Illinois
UNI
Weber State
Appalachian State

For autobids... there are three big games that will probably decide them. UNI @ SDSU, FAMU @ SCSU, App @ Elon. I went with the home team in all these... but, they could go either way.

unigriff
September 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Automatic Bids

At-Large
Massachussetts
Villanova
William & Mary
New Hampshire
McNeese State
South Dakota State
App State
Southern Illlinois

South Carolina State
Colgate
Texas State-San Marcos
James Madison

Bracket
App State at SIU

New Hampshire at (4) Montana
William & Mary at Elon

Florida A&M at McNeese State
Stephen F. Austin at (2) Northern Iowa

Quarterfinals:
SIU @ Richmond
William & Mary @ UNH

UMass @ Villanova
McNeese St. @ UNI

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Bracket
Florida A&M at Furman

William & Mary at Elon

Youngstown State at McNeese State

I know it's too early in the season to split hairs over this stuff TT, but I saw you also build brackets last week without regard to what I thought was the primary criteria for matchups with the seeds. Isn't the first factor fewest miles?

Wouldn't it be more like:

Elon at (1) Richmond
South Dakota State at (2) Montana
Eastern Illinois at (4) Northern Iowa (under 400 miles)

Just curious if I don't understand that proximity factor or if you had reasons to override it?

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM

1. To date they have shown themselves to be a 1-2 seed. Outscored their opponents 141-31. In the last 3 games, they've allowed 2 touchdowns, going for 10 straight quarters without allowing so much as a field goal. For that matter, MSU's score yesterday was in the final 30 seconds against the 2-3 string defense.

2. As long as Richmond and UNI keep playing at their current levels, the selection committee won't put them on the same side of the bracket. The playoffs will be much better/more interesting if there is a potential for the teams to meet again on the field in Chattanooga.

UNI is behind Villanova, W&M and UNH right now because of a lack of FBS win...If the problem weren't having 4 CAA Teams ranked, you'd be looking at the 4 seeds, IMO. Either way, UNI is the #4 at best.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
UNI is behind Villanova, W&M and UNH right now because of a lack of FBS win...If the problem weren't having 4 CAA Teams ranked, you'd be looking at the 4 seeds, IMO. Either way, UNI is the #4 at best.

I disagree Wren. I don't think UNI is behind W&M and especially not behind UNH despite not having an FBS win. That close loss to Iowa is looking every better today with the Squawkeye's big win over the Nittany Lions yesterday. It's just my xtwocentsx, but UNI is higher than #4 in my poll.

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 01:05 PM
UNI is was #2 in my poll last week...but I think those teams have a more impressive resume to boot..perhaps my voting isn't in line with my thoughts right now..

TXST TLG8
September 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
McNeese, UCA, & Texas State will destroy SFA. Don't fall for the Texas College 92-0 scory hype......

CDT_Wilson
September 27th, 2009, 01:17 PM
As of right now, I would give the MVFC auto bid to SDSU as they are winning the conference and UNI an at-large bid, but that's just me.

You might want to check in to rehab for that crack smoking problem.

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Why is that so impossiblexconfusedx? In their last three games we've only allowed one offensive touchdown and three field goals while in that span didnt allow anyone in the red zone for ten quarters, and didn't allow a td until 7 seconds left in the third game. And thats against similar compition to your last three games (and I think GSU while not too great this year is at least on par with MSU, your toughest game of the three) Don't see how thats so crazy to think when SDSU has UNI for homecoming xcoffeex

R3TRO
September 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM

After watching the first half of the UNH/Dartmouth game yesterday, if I had a poll, UNH would not be in my top 10. I was very disappointed. Our defense had no penetration and our offense looked predictable. This is definitely a topic for a different thread but I think Decker looked better than Toman.

CDT_Wilson
September 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Why is that so impossiblexconfusedx? In their last three games we've only allowed one offensive touchdown and three field goals while in that span didnt allow anyone in the red zone for ten quarters, and didn't allow a td until 7 seconds left in the third game. And thats against similar compition to your last three games (and I think GSU while not too great this year is at least on par with MSU, your toughest game of the three) Don't see how thats so crazy to think when SDSU has UNI for homecoming xcoffeex

I guess we will find out. I suppose UNI has had trouble on the road this year with that one point loss at Kinnick in front of 70,000 fans with about 65,000 being Iowa fans. but I am sure SDSU home games are intense as well.

You guys haven't played ANYONE. At least NDSU played Iowa State, well never mind they are terrible too.

mmiller_34
September 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I guess we will find out. I suppose UNI has had trouble on the road this year with that one point loss at Kinnick in front of 70,000 fans with about 65,000 being Iowa fans. but I am sure SDSU home games are intense as well.

You guys haven't played ANYONE. At least NDSU played Iowa State, well never mind they are terrible too.

UNI's wins have been South Dakota, St. Francis, and Mo St. - Before you start saying we haven't played ANYONE, neither have you.xnonono2x Wait. you played Iowa, TOUGH. but still... LOST. xcoffeex

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM
After watching the first half of the UNH/Dartmouth game yesterday, if I had a poll, UNH would not be in my top 10. I was very disappointed. Our defense had no penetration and our offense looked predictable. This is definitely a topic for a different thread but I think Decker looked better than Toman.

Don't think there's any doubt Decker looked a bit better. However, the guy doesn't have the arm strength to throw the ball to the outside or the speed of delivery to consistently beat defenders to the inside...but what do I know.

UNH won the game 44-14. Doesn't really matter when they scored. They've allowed 14, 16 and 14 points this season. They've beat an FBS team and have a +/- of 47. I see no problem calling them a top 4 team and a seed.

crusader11
September 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
This is definitely a topic for a different thread but I think Decker looked better than Toman.

Someone agrees with me.

CopperCat
September 27th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Weber isn't on anyone's list anywhere?!?!? That just ain't right! I'll take them over YSU as of this point in time.

ToTheLeft
September 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Not sure what YSU has done to deserve this so far... does anyone remember last year? They haven't proven anything yet... I think Liberty has a better shot at the playoffs than YSU.

seattlespider
September 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Weber barely got out of Portland with their lives, but I agree they should be in the mix.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Someone agrees with me.

I had a feeling we'd hear from you today! ;) :)

I wasn't at the game yesterday (working 14 hours) so I can't add anything to this discussion. xpeacex

aceinthehole
September 27th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Not sure what YSU has done to deserve this so far... does anyone remember last year? They haven't proven anything yet... I think Liberty has a better shot at the playoffs than YSU.

I agree! Looks like AQ-conference bias.

How much do you really count wins vs. Austin Peay (1-3) and Indiania State (0-5)? Neither team has a D-win!!!

YSU has a road win over NU (0-4) and a loss to I-A Pitt.

CDT_Wilson
September 27th, 2009, 03:28 PM
UNI's wins have been South Dakota, St. Francis, and Mo St. - Before you start saying we haven't played ANYONE, neither have you.xnonono2x Wait. you played Iowa, TOUGH. but still... LOST. xcoffeex

I hope they leave in the starters the whole game and run up the score against both Dakota teams.

AppStateold299
September 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM
yea no.......i call bs on this.....

Are you Tyson? From Cone Hall 7th floor from back in the day?

mmiller_34
September 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I hope they leave in the starters the whole game and run up the score against both Dakota teams.

Wow

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM

xlolx You know what? Me too. How DARE we even have any faith that we could even get a first down on the mighty UNI xeekx. You guys have a very good team, but you could at least give us some credit and not act like your a better class of person when we dare have faith in our good team we have. Don't care what you say but I'll bet most people on this board would say that UNI's biggest challenge will be SIU or at SDSU. So forgive us for having faith in our team and defending them xrolleyesx

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I had a feeling we'd hear from you today! ;) :)

I wasn't at the game yesterday (working 14 hours) so I can't add anything to this discussion. xpeacex

Fortunately, I can.

Decker's elusiveness was very impressive. Despite not being blessed with super speed, he was really difficult to tackle, as evidenced by a play where he ran past most of the defense before firing a pass that Joey Orlando caught in the end zone out of bounds. He also made a nice tight rope move down the sideline for a later score in the game. I liked the way he commanded the offense and was accurate, BUT, as I mentioned, his throws to the outside were lacking and it takes him an hour to release the football. I think he's probably a more accurate passer than Toman, FWIW, but I like Toman's overall arm strength and quick release more...

CDT_Wilson
September 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
xlolx You know what? Me too. How DARE we even have any faith that we could even get a first down on the mighty UNI xeekx. You guys have a very good team, but you could at least give us some credit and not act like your a better class of person when we dare have faith in our good team we have. Don't care what you say but I'll bet most people on this board would say that UNI's biggest challenge will be SIU or at SDSU. So forgive us for having faith in our team and defending them xrolleyesx

That is very true that the toughest conference competition will come from SIU and the Dakotas. Looking at the facts though NDSU is a predominant run team and UNI's run stop is better then average. We will see.

Thumper 76
September 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM
That is very true that the toughest conference competition will come from SIU and the Dakotas. Looking at the facts though NDSU is a predominant run team and UNI's run stop is better then average. We will see.

I don't know where you got that I was defending NDSU anywhere xcoffeex

mango43
September 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Jesus, I said as of right now I would give the auto to SDSU, not that they will get the auto for the MVFC for sure. The only reason I said they should get the auto is that they are 2-0 in conference play and get the best teams at home.

My bad for having faith in my team...

CDT_Wilson
September 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I don't know where you got that I was defending NDSU anywhere xcoffeex

I apologize, I tend to lump you guys together. Still getting used to the MVFC newbies.

CDT_Wilson
September 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I hope for a day when the playoff commitee can stop being in awe of the CAA and put 3 or 4 MVFC teams in the playoffs. Maybe we can do a CAA vs. MVFC challenge OOC like second game of the year. Like some of the FBS schools do. I know it would clear up a lot of questions. It looks like CAA and MVFC are the two best conferences over all. Other conferences may have one or two good teams but that'sw about it.

TexasTerror
September 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
McNeese, UCA, & Texas State will destroy SFA. Don't fall for the Texas College 92-0 scory hype......

It's not that hype...

It's the fact that for the last year, we dogged SFA because of Jeremy Moses and his inaccuracy. He led the team to a rare SLC win at a Missouri Valley team, while also handily defeating a North Dakota squad at home that beat SLC rival Northwestern State....

mango43
September 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM

SDSU is not USD. The Jacks are in the top 3 in the MVFC while USD might be in the bottom two of the Great West

uofmman1122
September 27th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I hope for a day when the playoff commitee can stop being in awe of the CAA and put 3 or 4 MVFC teams in the playoffs. Maybe we can do a CAA vs. MVFC challenge OOC like second game of the year. Like some of the FBS schools do. I know it would clear up a lot of questions. It looks like CAA and MVFC are the two best conferences over all. Other conferences may have one or two good teams but that'sw about it.The CAA generally ends the season with more playoff eligible teams that look good enough to make the playoffs than any other conference. Plus, their history speaks for itself. CAA is generally never a pushover in the playoffs.

uofmman1122
September 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I hope they leave in the starters the whole game and run up the score against both Dakota teams.xlolx

I like UNI this year. Have had them at #2 in my poll for a while.

But your posts almost make me hope they lose to both Dakota teams, and SIU.

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I hope for a day when the playoff commitee can stop being in awe of the CAA and put 3 or 4 MVFC teams in the playoffs. Maybe we can do a CAA vs. MVFC challenge OOC like second game of the year. Like some of the FBS schools do. I know it would clear up a lot of questions. It looks like CAA and MVFC are the two best conferences over all. Other conferences may have one or two good teams but that'sw about it.

...they're not in awe..they just have the best resumes every year.

LacesOut
September 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I hope for a day when the playoff commitee can stop being in awe of the CAA and put 3 or 4 MVFC teams in the playoffs.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

rcny46
September 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I watched the game,and (I almost hesitate to say it,but since you brought it up,I will.) I thought the offense looked more in sync when Kevin Decker replaced RJ.He did a very good job in directing things.

strike00
September 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM

The MVFC (gateway at the time) got 4 teams in the playoffs in '03. First conference to do that if I remember, so it hasn't been that long ago. The problem is that the middle of the MVFC, life WIU and YSU have been down a bit lately. that along with NDSU being down hurts. It also doesn't help that everyone plays everyone in the Valley, it gives less opportunities for multiple teams with 3 losses or less.

Right now the CAA is the top conference with the most depth, no question. It will be better when a few of the mid-pack MVFC teams pick it up, which they will.

crusader11
September 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I watched the game,and (I almost hesitate to say it,but since you brought it up,I will.) I thought the offense looked more in sync when Kevin Decker replaced RJ.He did a very good job in directing things.

When RJ is healthy again, who is the starter? Toman or Decker?

R3TRO
September 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Getting off topic.. That's a different topic for a different thread.

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Toman.

james_lawfirm
September 27th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Automatic Bids

At-Large
Massachussetts
Villanova
William & Mary
New Hampshire
Southern Illinois
UNI
Weber State
Appalachian State

For autobids... there are three big games that will probably decide them. UNI @ SDSU, FAMU @ SCSU, App @ Elon. I went with the home team in all these... but, they could go either way.

Yours is the third post that posits that Elon will win the AQ from the SoCon. While I admit that is possible, comparing records 4 weeks in shows:

Elon: beat 2 low quality teams, got squashed by Wake Forest, and beat GaSo. Can throw to one receiver, cannot run, D questionable.

App. State: got beat by East Carolina, & #16 McNeese. Turned things around against Samford (who could easily be #3 or #4 in the SoCon).

So, a more likely scenario is: AQ = App. State; At Large = Elon.

It's possible it could all come down to the App vs. Elon game. On the other hand, App looks stronger at this point.

joecooll6
September 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM

FBS wins are overrated. Wins over Ball State, Duke and Virginia just dont impress me. I dont think its fair to lump all the FBS teams into the same category. A close loss to an actual good team impresses me more than beating a crappy FBS team.

CAAisBOSS
September 27th, 2009, 07:38 PM
FBS wins are overrated. Wins over Ball State, Duke and Virginia just dont impress me. I dont think its fair to lump all the FBS teams into the same category. A close loss to an actual good team impresses me more than beating a crappy FBS team.

xconfusedx

joecooll6
September 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM

I completely agree Thumper. Some of the stuff that UNI fans have said on this and other boards has disgusted me. We sound like Iowa fans sounded before their game against us. And we made posts just like the ones you just made. The hypocracy is rediculous.

joecooll6
September 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
xconfusedx

Look you beat an FBS team. Thats a good win. But there are a bevy of FCS teams that are better than Virginia, Duke or Ball State. Just because they are in the FBS doesnt automatically make it a spectacular win.

CAAisBOSS
September 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Look you beat an FBS team. Thats a good win. But there are a bevy of FCS teams that are better than Virginia, Duke or Ball State. Just because they are in the FBS doesnt automatically make it a spectacular win.

haha oooook i will respectfuly disagree. xcoffeex

joecooll6
September 27th, 2009, 08:17 PM
haha oooook i will respectfuly disagree. xcoffeex

So you think Ball State would roll through the FCS?

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM
So you think Ball State would roll through the FCS?

Not roll thru....but a top half "quality win" type team

JmuSkinsfan
September 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Honestly ... if these "prognastications" are based off of how things stand now ... you have to stop snubbing JMU. I consider a win at Liberty to be somewhat "quality" and taking UMD to OT .. I know CAA play will determine everything in the end but as things stand now, I don't see how you can leave out the #6/7 team in the country. Just my $.02

joecooll6
September 27th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Even as an MVFC homer, I have no idea what YSU is doing in there. Heck, if you're going to include 3 MVFC teams, which I think is feasable, then SIU should be in there not YSU.

McNeese75
September 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Even after they drop 20 schollys?

Skjellyfetti
September 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yours is the third post that posits that Elon will win the AQ from the SoCon. While I admit that is possible, comparing records 4 weeks in shows:

Elon: beat 2 low quality teams, got squashed by Wake Forest, and beat GaSo. Can throw to one receiver, cannot run, D questionable.

App. State: got beat by East Carolina, & #16 McNeese. Turned things around against Samford (who could easily be #3 or #4 in the SoCon).

So, a more likely scenario is: AQ = App. State; At Large = Elon.

It's possible it could all come down to the App vs. Elon game. On the other hand, App looks stronger at this point.

Elon hasn't lost an FCS game yet. And, like I explained... I gave the home team the win in all of the big conference games I thought will decide the AQ.

I'm not saying I believe App won't win the Socon or that App will lose to Elon. We still have our stud CB that shut down Hudgins last year (Cortez the Killer). I certainly believe we can beat Elon. Just giving Elon some props.

bigskyrocks
September 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Automatic Bids
MEAC: SC state
SoCon: App St
Southland: Mcneese St

At-Large
Massachussetts
Villanova
Cal Poly
New Hampshire
Texas St.
South Dakota State
Furman
Weber St

i admit i dont watch much east coast football, but its my opinion plus its only week 5 still alot of football to go.

WrenFGun
September 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM

I say things because the committee has repeatedly reiterated the value of an FBS win. Just look at the playoff selection comments in 2007 about UNH's inclusion. It really can't be any clearer.

Jackman
September 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Isn't it a Federal law that if UMass gets a home playoff game, it has to be against the Patriot League Champion?

(Let us not speak of the 2003 playoffs.)

crusader11
September 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Isn't it a Federal law that if UMass gets a home playoff game, it has to be against the Patriot League Champion?

(Let us not speak of the 2003 playoffs.)

If we go 11-0 that may not be the case.

Jackman
September 27th, 2009, 10:33 PM
You'd have to outbid us, unless you get a Top 4 seed.

UNHFootballAlum
September 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM

Fortunately all FBS wins count in the committees eyes more than a close loss

UNHFootballAlum
September 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM

If the committee has 2 FCS teams with similar resumes for the last playoff spot and one has an FBS win and the other does not, the committee will choose the team with the win every time. So FBS wins over Virginia, ball state, and Duke do have great impact

Go...gate
September 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Colgate is 4-0, but it is hard to tell how good they really are because they have played teams which have pretty much struggled to date. I think Holy Cross still has to get the nod. Moreover, Colgate's schedule is not strong enough to warrant an at-large. When we received an at-large in 1998, we played a substantially tougher schedule, including Navy and a CAA club. This is also where the Patriot League is getting whipsawed by the scholarship issue. We can't schedule some stronger teams to get an overall schedule strength that would make us an at-large contender.

ToTheLeft
September 28th, 2009, 08:19 AM

But that's the point. The reason it's an impressive win is because they have 20 more schollys. They're deep, they're strong, they're talented.

nmatsen
September 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM

1 pt loss at top 25, un-defeated, big ten, Iowa > Any win at a MAC school.

Take that garbage right back where it came from.

SumItUp
September 28th, 2009, 08:36 AM

UNI's close loss to Iowa just gained considerable credibility after the way the Hawkeyes dismantled the Penn State in Happy Valley.

Big Al
September 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM

Yes, well, we can't schedule FBS patsys every year. Iowa State will only play us every couple of years.

xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
September 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM

I'm trying to think how many things "close" is good for...I'm struggling...horseshoes?

Gil Dobie
September 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Central Michigan 29, Michigan St 27

Gil Dobie
September 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'm trying to think how many things "close" is good for...I'm struggling...horseshoes?

Hand Grenades :( xlolx

Big Al
September 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I will say right now that as the season goes on, SDSU worries me more and more. NDSU came into the league talking big about how they're going to run the Valley but SDSU was the one last year with the better record. This year, SDSU has dismantled every team they've played, whereas NDSU keeps on talking bigger than their play.

I think it's ironic that Teddy Roosevelt Nat'l Park is in North Dakota, because SDSU has been the team talking softly and carrying a big stick.

I have full confidence in UNI's ability to pull off the W, but I think it will be our toughest test of the season.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Colgate is 4-0, but it is hard to tell how good they really are because they have played teams which have pretty much struggled to date. I think Holy Cross still has to get the nod. Moreover, Colgate's schedule is not strong enough to warrant an at-large. When we received an at-large in 1998, we played a substantially tougher schedule, including Navy and a CAA club. This is also where the Patriot League is getting whipsawed by the scholarship issue. We can't schedule some stronger teams to get an overall schedule strength that would make us an at-large contender.

Don't understand why you can't schedule them? Do they not want to play home and home with Colgate? xconfusedx If you said won't schedule them, that I understand.

Aren't Villanova, William & Mary and Richmond opponents from back in your major Eastern college days? Would there be any philosophical differences playing them today? Or with Furman, Elon, Samford, Wofford, El Cid, VMI, etc.? Even my alma mater than has been recognized the past two years for its graduation rate and has often been an opponent on the hardwood. With our AD having spent time at Colgate, why would there be any issues with scheduling?

Can't help but think that if Holy Cross happens to lose the Patriot to Colgate that the Crusaders are going to wish they had UMass on their schedule instead of Northeastern as well as Albany/Central CT instead of Sacred Heart. I just think that with good performances in those games that even at 8-3 they would get more consideration from the committee than at 10-1 with their current schedule. So far I haven't seen anything from the Patriot or Ivy OOC performance to help the second place Patriot team get an at large bid. JMHO.

danefan
September 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Lets take this example which can be used to compare against all potential at-larges from the PL or the MEAC:

Its a very real possibility that Richmond ends up 8-3 with a win at Duke and loses to UMass, William & Mary and Villanova.

Do you really think the committee is going to take one of the following teams over Richmond?:

1. FAMU - 9-2 with loses to SCSU and Miami and quality wins over____________?
2. SCSU - 9-2 with loses to FAMU and South Carolina with quality wins over __________?
3. Colgate - 10-1 with a loss to Holy Cross and quality wins over____________?
4. Holy Cross - 10-1 with a loss to Colgate and quality wins over ___________ ?

Can you fill in the blanks to get either 2nd place team in over Richmond at 8-3? I cannot.

danefan
September 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Don't understand why you can't schedule them? Do they not want to play home and home with Colgate? xconfusedx If you said won't schedule them, that I understand.

Aren't Villanova, William & Mary and Richmond opponents from back in your major Eastern college days? Would there be any philosophical differences playing them today? Or with Furman, Elon, Samford, Wofford, El Cid, VMI, etc.? Even my alma mater than has been recognized the past two years for its graduation rate and has often been an opponent on the hardwood. With our AD having spent time at Colgate, why would there be any issues with scheduling?

Can't help but think that if Holy Cross happens to lose the Patriot to Colgate that the Crusaders are going to wish they had UMass on their schedule instead of Northeastern as well as Albany/Central CT instead of Sacred Heart. I just think that with good performances in those games that even at 8-3 they would get more consideration from the committee than at 10-1 with their current schedule. So far I haven't seen anything from the Patriot or Ivy OOC performance to help the second place Patriot team get an at large bid. JMHO.

They "can't" schedule better OOC games like they "can't" schedule FBS games.xwhistlex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM

But that's the point. The reason it's an impressive win is because they have 20 more schollys. They're deep, they're strong, they're talented.

Watching the game in Muncie, I felt like I was watching a team that was just as good or better than the top FCS teams I've seen in person the past few years. It really felt like watching a CAA game with JMU, Richmond, Villanova, Delaware or UMass. Add in their home field and what appeared to be some homer MAC refs and I'll argue with anybody that doesn't think it was a quality win.

I'm not a savvy enough viewer to know how much Ball State played the three deep vs. two deep advantage. All I know is I saw a lot of tired kids come out of our locker room after the game. That was no pushover team we played.

The extra 22 scholarships come into play a couple of ways. One, it allowed them to have a place kicker and punter that were above average of what I usually see in FCS. And over the course of the year, it would add up to a couple more wins if they were playing a full CAA schedule because they wouldn't be as significantly impacted by injuries. I feel pretty confident saying this year's Ball State team would earn a playoff bid playing in the CAA, either division.

I recall Ralph telling me after UNH beat Northwestern in 2006 that a Big Ten scribe said with UNH's performance that day that they would have beaten half the teams in the Big Ten. I never took that to mean UNH could finish mid pack in the Big Ten because I knew the 22 fewer scholarships would rear its head in a full Big Ten schedule. I just took satisfaction that the scribe felt we could beat half the Big Ten teams. I felt that was quite the compliment.

mcveyrl
September 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Lets take this example which can be used to compare against all potential at-larges from the PL or the MEAC:

Its a very real possibility that Richmond ends up 8-3 with a win at Duke and loses to UMass, William & Mary and Villanova.

Do you really think the committee is going to take one of the following teams over Richmond?:

2. SCSU - 9-2 with loses to FAMU and South Carolina with quality wins over __________?

Can you fill in the blanks to get either 2nd place team in over Richmond at 8-3? I cannot.

I'm biased, but I also think that Richmond's win over JMU in that scenario would be more quality than those listed above.

drpnut
September 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I really like the fact that everyone has just written Wofford off because we had a bad game at Chatty... REmember last year how we got embarressed at Appy 70-24... and we rebounded. I expect the same this year....

We play Appy and Elon at home, we play Furman at their place... We have owned ElCid for 10 years and I don't expect that to change. Sammy comes to Sparkle City... We don't lose often at home...

The following scenario could happen:

Woffy loses one more game, let's say to ELCid or Sammy and we finish 6-2 in conference, with wins over Furple, Appy and Elon who all finish 6-2... guess what... Woffy gets the AQ.

danefan
September 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I'm biased, but I also think that Richmond's win over JMU in that scenario would be more quality than those listed above.

I agree 100%.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM

DF, I agree with you 100%. And you could come up with similar scenarios for UNH and W&M as well. I think all three get in before your four examples. And I'll throw in an 8-3 UNI with losses to South Dakota State and SIU and that close loss to Iowa. I think that UNI gets the bid over the four listed. How about UMass with two CAA losses and that close loss at Kansas State? I say UMass. If I took the time I could probably conger up examples from the SoCon, Big Sky and Southland as well.

crusader11
September 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM

It pains me to say it, but I think you're right. The schedule we have set up for ourselves this year has left us little room for error. Now, if we went 9-2 or 10-1 with last year's OOC schedule (UMASS, Harvard, Yale, Brown, and Dartmouth) we probably get into the playoffs over Maine.

unigriff
September 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Hahahah, they might finish 5-6. They are god-forsaken awful...Like Iowa State awful (and I'm an ISU fan).

AppAlum2003
September 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I really like the fact that everyone has just written Wofford off because we had a bad game at Chatty... REmember last year how we got embarressed at Appy 70-24... and we rebounded. I expect the same this year....

We play Appy and Elon at home, we play Furman at their place... We have owned ElCid for 10 years and I don't expect that to change. Sammy comes to Sparkle City... We don't lose often at home...

Woffy loses one more game, let's say to ELCid or Sammy and we finish 6-2 in conference, with wins over Furple, Appy and Elon who all finish 6-2... guess what... Woffy gets the AQ.

So you're comparing last year's ASU team to this year's UTC team? Really? xconfusedx

drpnut
September 28th, 2009, 10:28 AM
appalum2003

It is obvious that you have had too much hilbilly wine if you at all infer any comparison between Chatty and Appy.

I was simply indicating that this Chatty game is our "nightmare" game like last years Appy game... That's it... if you want to make more out of what I said that's your issue and your insecurities...

My hopes are that lkike last year after ya'll pasted us and kicked our butts we got things in gear, and I'm hoping that this Chatty experience does the same for us.

ASU
September 28th, 2009, 10:31 AM
EVERY year App State has one or two losses at the beginning of the year.
They have the same record this year as they did after three games last year.

EVERY year Elon folds like an accordian later in the year. (Especially after they play App State, who they have not beat since being in the SoCon .... not to mention their Liberty loss last year.)

WHEN are you people going to get a grip?

DOME
September 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM
While I do have a great deal of confidence in this years team, and they did play Iowa closer than anyone of the other 3-1 teams they've beaten, a close loss is still a loss. I don't really care if/where we get seeded as I have no doubt in Farley and the team's ability to win on the road. Its when we get to a Neutral location I get worried about...

I do think SDSU is legit this year and have done nothing to make anyone think otherwise. At the same time I have to wonder why there isn't more support for SIU? Seems to be a trend, talk about speaking softly and bringing the stick!

Depending on how the other conferences pan out I think MVC has a solid shot at three bids this year!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 11:22 AM
While I do have a great deal of confidence in this years team, and they did play Iowa closer than anyone of the other 3-1 teams they've beaten, a close loss is still a loss. I don't really care if/where we get seeded as I have no doubt in Farley and the team's ability to win on the road. Its when we get to a Neutral location I get worried about...

I do think SDSU is legit this year and have done nothing to make anyone think otherwise. At the same time I have to wonder why there isn't more support for SIU? Seems to be a trend, talk about speaking softly and bringing the stick!

Depending on how the other conferences pan out I think MVC has a solid shot at three bids this year!

Probably because many people don't pay attention to the number of returning players and SIU hasn't done anything yet to stand out in people's mind, especially with a non D-I. I've still got them ranked highly and expect once MVFC play gets going, they will get the necessary recognition if they win as expected.

Does the MVFC third bid depend on SIU beating either UNI or SDSU? If they're 8-3 with those losses as well as Marshall (IIRC), they'll be 7-3 to the committee. That IMHO won't win a bid over an 8-3 CAA with a FBS win or an 8-3 from another "power" conference with all D-I wins.

Of course, we're all expecting everything to go according to form which probably isn't very realistic. xoopsx :D

CamelCityAppFan
September 28th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Yeah, I suppose this scenario could happen, but it seems pretty optimistic to me. I find it unlikely that Woffy loses to Sammy or El Cid, but beats App, Elon, and Furman.

I find it more likely that Woffy beats El Cid and and Sammy, and then goes 1 and 2 against the other 3, or maybe 2 and 1. But all 3? xeyebrowx Based on what little data we have so far this season, I don't think so.

Your scenario also assumes that after losing to Woffy, App also has another conference loss-- to whom? IMHO, the "danger" games for App are Elon and Furman. GaSo is a wild card because of the history, but the recent trend is that the visitor wins. Furman always plays App tough, and they seem resurgent this year. Elon is off to a flying start, but they've never beaten App since joining the conference, and they have a tendency to fade late in the season. If App is going to have 2 conference losses, I think it will be against some combination of GaSo, Furman, and Elon.

But we'll see, lot of football left...

RabidRabbit
September 28th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Probably because many people don't pay attention to the number of returning players and SIU hasn't done anything yet to stand out in people's mind, especially with a non D-I. I've still got them ranked highly and expect once MVFC play gets going, they will get the necessary recognition if they win as expected.

Does the MVFC third bid depend on SIU beating either UNI or SDSU? If they're 8-3 with those losses as well as Marshall (IIRC), they'll be 7-3 to the committee. That IMHO won't win a bid over an 8-3 CAA with a FBS win or an 8-3 from another "power" conference with all D-I wins.

Of course, we're all expecting everything to go according to form which probably isn't very realistic. xoopsx :D

I would say that SIU is the most vulnerable of the three (UNI/SDSU/SIU) of being left home as an 8-3 team as noted above. SDSU will really assist their cause if win at Poly.

joecooll6
September 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM

You beat Ball State! They dont even make the playoffs in the FCS!

WrenFGun
September 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
You beat Ball State! They dont even make the playoffs in the FCS!

Where were you sitting at Ball State? I must've missed you. Were you sitting right next to UNH Alum?

Saint3333
September 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=2050

Not sure someone had to be at the game to know Ball State is bad. Ball State is 0-4 with bad FBS losses to Army and North Texas. Ball State may not win a game this year.

Go...gate
September 28th, 2009, 12:51 PM

To some extent, that is the problem. Our AD is living in a dream world. Few teams (except the PL schools) have EVER wanted to do straight a home-and-home with us.

Big Al
September 28th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I just haven't been impressed by SIU to date. Their almost-win at Marshall doesn't do anything for me because the Thunderin' Herd ain't quite so Thunderin' any more. Don't get me wrong, I think they're top-3 in the MVFC but ever since the season began SIU slid and SDSU climbed in my perception.

Chi Panther
September 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM
DF, I agree with you 100%. And you could come up with similar scenarios for UNH and W&M as well. I think all three get in before your four examples. And I'll throw in an 8-3 UNI with losses to South Dakota State and SIU and that close loss to Iowa. I think that UNI gets the bid over the four listed. How about UMass with two CAA losses and that close loss at Kansas State? I say UMass. If I took the time I could probably conger up examples from the SoCon, Big Sky and Southland as well.

South Dakota State Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
R. Berry 32/53 375 7.1 1 1
Team 32/53 375 7.1 1 1
Northern Iowa Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
P. Grace 12/20 200 10.0 2 1
Team 12/20 200 10.0 2 1

South Dakota State Rushing
CAR YDS AVG TD LG
K. Minett 14 36 2.6 1 11
T. Duffy 3 5 1.7 0 6
S. Geissler 1 0 0.0 0 0
-. Team 1 -1 -1.0 0 0
R. Berry 7 -25 -3.6 0 1
Team 26 15 0.6 1 11

SDSU ran for 15 yards against UNI last year. This year is not last, but Berry was a very good QB and he is not at SDSU anymore. He also had to the throw the ball 53 times last year to PGs 20. I think that says alot.

IF SDSU can't run the ball....they will not beat UNI.....

Longhorn
September 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM

I like people who dream. Not gonna happen tho. xpeacex

Thumper 76
September 28th, 2009, 02:03 PM
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Team 32/53 375 7.1 1 1
Northern Iowa Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Team 12/20 200 10.0 2 1

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
K. Minett 14 36 2.6 1 11
T. Duffy 3 5 1.7 0 6
S. Geissler 1 0 0.0 0 0
-. Team 1 -1 -1.0 0 0
R. Berry 7 -25 -3.6 0 1
Team 26 15 0.6 1 11

SDSU ran for 15 yards against UNI last year. This year is not last, but Berry was a very good QB and he is not at SDSU anymore. He also had to the throw the ball 53 times last year to PGs 20. I think that says alot.

I think this type of in depth stuff is more suited for a couple of weeks down the road perhaps. 1-0 each week is the goal, the team buys into it so hell I might as well too. We need to focus on Cal Poly first.

CDT_Wilson
September 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Team 32/53 375 7.1 1 1
Northern Iowa Passing
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT
Team 12/20 200 10.0 2 1

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
K. Minett 14 36 2.6 1 11
T. Duffy 3 5 1.7 0 6
S. Geissler 1 0 0.0 0 0
-. Team 1 -1 -1.0 0 0
R. Berry 7 -25 -3.6 0 1
Team 26 15 0.6 1 11

I do think it will be interesting to see how things play out. UNI has given up over 100 yards rushing once this season (115 to SDU). I think the secondary is better then last year so if they can't run and UNI can limit the pass should be interesting. Just looking forward to some good football.

19Duke97
September 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
It's fun, but way to early to talk playoffs. I assume you believe a lower ranked UMass will take JMU?

WestCoastAggie
September 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
All these opinions show is that people will be "homers" and only go for what they know. This brings me to another point; the difficultly of teams scheduling teams that will "improve their resume.

The MEAC, NEC, PL, GWFC & Big South conferences have trouble scheduling teams from the CAA, MVFC, SoCon and so on for whatever reason. And that is a Shame!

ToTheLeft
September 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
The MEAC, NEC, PL, GWFC & Big South conferences have trouble scheduling teams from the CAA, MVFC, SoCon and so on for whatever reason. And that is a Shame!

Not only does LU have trouble scheduling since we're Big South, but add in our founder's quoteables and our numerous stances on issues, and it's even more of a struggle. Hopefully that will turn around as we become a more respectable program.

Big Al
September 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Quoted for truth.

All these opinions show is that people will be "homers" and only go for what they know. This brings me to another point; the difficultly of teams scheduling teams that will "improve their resume.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Chi, it was a hypothetical example. No need to get all defensive at this early date. ;) xpeacex

carney2
September 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Not sure if the Patriot League really has trouble (although no one likes to travel into the outback that is Hamilton, NY) or if there are other considerations. I am, for instance, convinced that the Lafayette athletic director's speed dial consists only of his wife's cell phone number and the numbers of Ivy League ADs. We have averaged 3.5 Ivys on the schedule for the past 10 years. It's a rut and they won't move out of it.

danefan
September 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I don't think its trouble scheduling. Its more trouble scheduling home-and-homes.

Albany has gotten away games with just about everyone - Montana, Georgia Southern, Delaware, UMass, New Hampshire, Maine, etc......

WestCoastAggie
September 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Not sure if the Patriot League really has trouble (although no one likes to travel into the outback that is Hamilton, NY) or if there are other considerations. I am, for instance, convinced that the Lafayette athletic director's speed dial consists only of his wife's cell phone number and the numbers of Ivy League ADs. We have averaged 3.5 Ivys on the schedule for the past 10 years. It's a rut and they won't move out of it.

I can only speak as a somewhat expert on the MEAC and our problem deals with the 8 game mandate we have and are willingness to "preserve" tradition and make money from BCS games. We also have now a commish that wants to create a MEAC champ. game and a "postseason" game with the SWAC for the MYTHICAL "Black College Football National Championship" xoopsx

There are schools that go out and try to schedule games with competitive games and have with the CAA. The problem comes when they have to make a return visit to the MEAC.

YES I AM CALLING YOU OUT UD & JMU!!!!! xnonox

aceinthehole
September 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I don't think its trouble scheduling. Its more trouble scheduling home-and-homes.

Albany has gotten away games with just about everyone - Montana, Georgia Southern, Delaware, UMass, New Hampshire, Maine, etc......

Fully agree!!! We can get anyone (even a rare I-A game) on the ROAD. CCSU has gone to Statesboro GA, Fargo ND, Durham NH, Portland ME, Amherst MA, Towson MD, Kingston RI, Hamilton NY, New York City, Williamsburg VA, and Bethlehem PA. We are heading to Youngstown and JMU in upcoming seasons.

But CCSU has only had 1 AQ conference team return a game to New Britain - URI in 2005. Since the MAAC folded, we have had two D-II teams (Merrimack and Southern Conn.) and 2 I-AA Indy (Bryant and NCCU) come to Central. We played all 3 non-conf games on the road this year!

GannonFan
September 28th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I can only speak as a somewhat expert on the MEAC and our problem deals with the 8 game mandate we have and are willingness to "preserve" tradition and make money from BCS games. We also have now a commish that wants to create a MEAC champ. game and a "postseason" game with the SWAC for the MYTHICAL "Black College Football National Championship" xoopsx

There are schools that go out and try to schedule games with competitive games and have with the CAA. The problem comes when they have to make a return visit to the MEAC.

Yeah, we're not ever going to play a game at DSU, so don't get all worked up over it. For a game that's billed to be for the state of Delaware, it doesn't make any sense to reduce the number of people who can go to the game by the 13,000 seat difference between the two stadiums. Heck, we don't play road games against a majority of FCS teams. Something about getting 22k for home games and close to $500k profit for each of those. I can't imagine why we'd give that up to travel down to Dover. xlolx

WestCoastAggie
September 28th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Yeah, we're not ever going to play a game at DSU, so don't get all worked up over it. For a game that's billed to be for the state of Delaware, it doesn't make any sense to reduce the number of people who can go to the game by the 13,000 seat difference between the two stadiums. Heck, we don't play road games against a majority of FCS teams. Something about getting 22k for home games and close to $500k profit for each of those. I can't imagine why we'd give that up to travel down to Dover. xlolx

And here lies the essence of this quandary.

Team A from conference X seeks a game with team B from conference Y for a home & home series. Conference B is considered a "Power Conference" and the team from conference X wants to improve its stock against the fellow FCS competition for a Playoff At-Large bid in the event they do not win their conference or conference does not have an AQ.

When team B is approached, they only agree to a game only in team b's stadium because "it doesn't make any sense to reduce the number of people who can go to the game by the 13,000 seat difference between the two stadiums." (GannonFan)

Now when team A from conference X schedules team C from conference Z, which isn't a power conference, team C is looked down upon because they did not have a tough enough schedule.

xwhistlex

GannonFan
September 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
And here lies the essence of this quandary.

Team A from conference X seeks a game with team B from conference Y for a home & home series. Conference B is considered a "Power Conference" and the team from conference X wants to improve its stock against the fellow FCS competition for a Playoff At-Large bid in the event they do not win their conference or conference does not have an AQ.

When team B is approached, they only agree to a game only in team b's stadium because "it doesn't make any sense to reduce the number of people who can go to the game by the 13,000 seat difference between the two stadiums." (GannonFan)

Now when team A from conference X schedules team C from conference Z, which isn't a power conference, team C is looked down upon because they did not have a tough enough schedule.

xwhistlex

The quandry only exists for the few select schools that make so much money on home games, and have so many teams they can schedule at home, that they don't need to play a series with a return game. So yes, most teams aren't likely to get return games out of Delaware or Montana or those schools (or Furman either, but that's just because they are purple whelchers :p ).

But to make this into a "power conference" thing that only serves to keep the up and coming conferences down is just silly and completely unsupported. First of all, most schools in the "power conferences" don't have the large stadiums and big time gate money that the UD's and Montana's do (have you seen much of the CAA North???) so most "power conference" schools can't schedule home-only arrangements. And second of all, there's plenty of examples of schools from the power conferences going to lesser conferences to play - just this year we have Maine at Albany, W&M at Norfolk St, and JMU at Liberty. And there's plenty of other examples over the years.

You can count on one hand the number of FCS teams that can afford to play home-only OOC matchups - for the other 120 or so teams, no such scenario exists.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Outside of Delaware, Villanova and William & Mary, I'm not so sure it is that difficult to schedule a CAA team.

Maine had to schedule a D-II this year. Difficult to believe they wouldn't have been very open to scheduling someone from the MEAC, NEC, PL or Big South. Especially with the double pay day they got from Florida State and Syracuse. Frankly, scheduling seems to be an issue for the Black Bears during many seasons.

AFAIK, UNH only has Pitt (2010), Minnesota (2012), Boston College (2014), Dartmouth (2014, 2015) scheduled/contracted for OOC in the coming seasons. Are any of those AD's (especially the PL and NEC) burning the phone lines to Durham, NH? Hampton and UNH had a two game series a few years ago. The past couple of years, we've had an Ivy and a NEC team. That Ivy is off the schedule until 2014. Bus trips will be preferable no doubt, but there is great opportunity for Colgate, Albany, Stony Brook, CCSU, Fordham, Holy Cross, Lehigh, Lafayette, etc.

I'm not sure it is so difficult to schedule games with Northeastern, Rhode Island, Hofstra or Towson either. UMass played a NEC and Big South this year and haven't they done a home and home with Delaware State? W&M seems to be FBS, VMI and another (booked for the coming years IIRC). Not sure JMU is opposed to playing any of the VA/NC teams in addition to a FBS. Richmond seems fairly open after their FBS and maybe VMI. Nova seems to be FBS, Penn, Lehigh -- done deal. Delaware will probably mandate home games. You know what, UNH took some money in lieu of a return game and played UD as OOC in 2004, leaving only four home games, but got a win that led to building a resume that earned an at large bid! We had very little respect in the FCS world before 2004, believe me I was active on AGS back then too!! Taking that deal reaped benefits and was worth the "risk".

I think there is plenty of opportunity to schedule a CAA team. Are you sure your ADs really want to? Make some offers that can't be refused as the saying goes. Take some money in lieu of a return game, play two for ones, add a clause that if you win then the CAA has to schedule a game at your site, offer to pay some of the expenses, etc. Delaware, Richmond and W&M probably don't need any financial assistance, but I can't say the same for the rest of the CAA schools! Even Villanova with their Big East money probably could use more resources to offset expenses in football.

19Duke97
September 28th, 2009, 04:28 PM

I don't see JMU playing any MEAC teams except maybe Hampton or Delaware St. I don't see why we would not do a home/home with them. I am going to get blasted for this, but the fact is the MEAC and CAA are on two distinctly different levels, and JMU is interested in playing home/home with teams that are top 20 caliber AND that are close in proximity.

tribe_pride
September 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Outside of Delaware, Villanova and William & Mary, I'm not so sure it is that difficult to schedule a CAA team.

We are actually not bad and we are generally fair but generally like to play local teams.

We have our at FBS game

For years, we have had home and home repeats versus VMI which was not on this year for some reason

Then we had one more home and home game. Liberty alternated home and home from 2004 through 2007. Norfolk State was 2008 and 2009 home and home although I am not sure if it is continuing.

This year was CCSU (not sure if it is a home and home but if not that will be our first non-home and home FBS game in years)

Native
September 28th, 2009, 06:28 PM

You've got to start somewhere. Start with an FBS game every year, both to make money AND strengthen the schedule. Alcorn did it in 2006 by scheduling Louisiana Monroe. Grambling did it this year by scheduling Oklahoma State.

But don't schedule cupcakes, lose the first playoff game and expect any love from the pollsters.

JMU Newbill
September 28th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I think JMU has started to make a case.... we won a tough road game in horrible elements against a top 25 team. Is Liberty on Villanova, Richmond, or W&M's level... no. But... we got through what could easily have been considered a trap game and performed rather well.

I think we deserve some thought. I still think we are on the outside looking in, but I think we have made a case to be considered good competition for the elite teams this year.

soccerguy315
September 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
This year was CCSU (not sure if it is a home and home but if not that will be our first non-home and home FBS game in years)

I'm pretty sure that ODU recruited CCSU to come to Williamsburg (and maybe even paid them?) after they realized they should not have scheduled W&M in their first year.

Next year W&M is @FBS, @ODU, and ??? for out of conference games. I'm sure the ??? is already set, but I don't know it off the top of my head. Should be a home game. Maybe VMI will be back on the schedule.

aceinthehole
September 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that ODU recruited CCSU to come to Williamsburg (and maybe even paid them?) after they realized they should not have scheduled W&M in their first year.

Next year W&M is @FBS, @ODU, and ??? for out of conference games. I'm sure the ??? is already set, but I don't know it off the top of my head. Should be a home game. Maybe VMI will be back on the schedule.

Yep, CCSU was a replacement for ODU this year. We were paid by ODU to travel to Williamsburg.

tribe_pride
September 28th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys. I forgot about that. Smart move by ODU to get out of that game this year. It'll still be ugly next year but at least they'll have a year under their belt. I just checked and VMI is back on the schedule next year. So we get VMI at home, at UNC and at ODU next year. Should be 2-1.

WestCoastAggie
September 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I don't see JMU playing any MEAC teams except maybe Hampton or Delaware St. I don't see why we would not do a home/home with them. I am going to get blasted for this, but the fact is the MEAC and CAA are on two distinctly different levels, and JMU is interested in playing home/home with teams that are top 20 caliber AND that are close in proximity.

Someone explain to me how the MEAC & CAA are that different in the football they play to the point where teams like JMU would want to avoid games with the good teams in the conference? James Madison should have some moxy to travel to Hampton, Norfolk, Greensboro, Spartanburg SC, FLA, or DC and play.
xwhistlex

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Someone explain to me how the MEAC & CAA are that different in the football they play to the point where teams like JMU would want to avoid games with the good teams in the conference? James Madison should have some moxy to travel to Hampton, Norfolk, Greensboro, Spartanburg SC, FLA, or DC and play.
xwhistlex

Seriously?

WestCoastAggie
September 29th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Seriously?
Yes seriously tell me how teams like FAMU & SCSU can't keep up with the CAA top teams? No matter what you say, the truth will be displayed on the field in the playoffs. xwhistlex

unigriff
September 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Yes seriously tell me how teams like FAMU & SCSU can't keep up with the CAA top teams? No matter what you say, the truth will be displayed on the field in the playoffs. xwhistlex

Now if that isn't the definition of a NDSU fan, I don't know what it is! :)

-jk...i had to get my one Bison poke in for the day.

JMU can play whoever they want, wherever they want...Just like NDSU...SC State and A&M haven't proven anything yet.

mcveyrl
September 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Teams that can "keep up" with other teams will beat them once in a while. That hasn't happened in a while with the MEAC.

I'm not saying it won't happen this year because I do think that SCSU and FAMU are both good (both are in my Top 25), but it hasn't happened so far.

Also, you really like the whistle smiley!!

WrenFGun
September 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Is that the same truth that's been displayed in the first round every year, or is that a different truth? I appreciate the smiley suggesting the same tune...

WestCoastAggie
September 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Is that the same truth that's been displayed in the first round every year, or is that a different truth? I appreciate the smiley suggesting the same tune...

Well change is coming...xsmiley_wix

KAUMASS
September 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
While SCSU and Florida A&M look good this year, their schedules have ranked 231 & 234 "toughest" out of 245 in all of Division 1. I'm not saying they are not good teams this year, we'll see how they do for the rest of the year. I'd love to see a MEAC team turn the corner this year and make it past the first round of the playoffs. (hasn't happened for a while now)

Both teams will step it up a notch this week and next week and I am interested to see what kind of game SCSU has against the U. South Carolina and what Florida A&M has against U of Miami. Aside from the auto-qualifer from the MEAC, if either team wants a post season at large shot, they will need a strong showing this week.

WestCoastAggie
September 29th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Note: FAMU has a BYE this week then plays U of M 10/10.
SCSU plays South Carolina plays 10/3.

CID1990
September 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Not only does LU have trouble scheduling since we're Big South, but add in our founder's quoteables and our numerous stances on issues, and it's even more of a struggle. Hopefully that will turn around as we become a more respectable program.

Play Princeton.

Their band would love to have a crucifixion on your 50-yard line. All in good fun, you know?

wideright82
September 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM

I shouldn't need to prove it. The top CAA Teams have proven how good they are in the playoffs over the past 5 years. Prove to me who the MEAC have beaten that validates your outrageous claim. towson? HA we don't even want to play Towson they are so bad (sorry Andy).

jmufan999
September 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM

oh my god i can't keep reading this nonsense.

does anyone know why the following argument (made by several posters, mostly SoCon fans up to the point i stopped reading) doesn't make sense:

"The CAA will get fewer teams in this year because they will all be beating up on each other."

it doesn't make sense on several levels.

first, how is this different from the last TWO years, when we've gotten 5 in each time? were we not beating up on each other the last two years?

second, when in the past two years have there been FOUR (4) upsets of FBS schools... usually it's UNH and that's it. so in those other years, there was an "automatic" loss. this year, those losses are now wins. this will be absolutely CRUCIAL if it comes to breaking ties between at-large teams. if you don't think so, just wait. the committee makes it abundantly clear that schedule strength is paramount.

third, hasn't the CAA's considerable postseason success proven that putting a lot of CAA teams in the field of 16 is a GOOD idea? for them to think it was a bad idea, you'd have to have a bunch of CAA teams bowing out in the first round. and if i remember right, we're a combined 8-2 in the first round in the last two years. several of the losses after that (for instance, Nova losing to JMU last year) were between two CAA schools... someone has to lose.

fourth, if there are "too many good CAA teams for their own good", then think about what a loss will do... if W&M loses to Villanova, for instance. do you REALLY think W&M would fall that far, after losing to the #2 team in the country (whatever # they are). App State at #1 last year only fell to #5 when they lost to JMU. having more good teams in a conference means a tougher schedule, but more leniency by voters.

sorry, i couldn't take reading that ridiculous argument anymore.

jmufan999
September 29th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I shouldn't need to prove it. The top CAA Teams have proven how good they are in the playoffs over the past 5 years. Prove to me who the MEAC have beaten that validates your outrageous claim. towson? HA we don't even want to play Towson they are so bad (sorry Andy).

since the NCAA went to a 16 team field (i believe it was 1981), the MEAC is a combined 4-20. yes, you're right (saying this to whoever the MEAC fan was)... the MEAC is certainly dominant in the playoffs. so dominant that i think JMU should be forced to play you in the first round (if we make it). we'll even travel to you since we can't host playoff games for 2 years.

ekufbfan
October 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
For the doubters of the program that has WON more OVC titles than any other OVC team and the the title the last two years just beat your pick at their place....EKU 36 EIU 31......xnodxxnodxxnodx

Automatic Bids

carney2
October 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Automatic Bids

Colonial: Villanova
OVC: Eastern Kentucky
Patriot: Lafayette

catbob
October 3rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Montana State, only ranked in the coaches poll at #25, beats Weber State on the road to improve to 3-1 and 2-0 in Big Sky play.