PDA

View Full Version : Around FCS: DSU Earns Hens' Respect

smallcollegefbfan
September 21st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Around FCS: DSU earns Hens' respect
By Brett Kahn, FCS Assistant

Newark, DE. (Sports Network) - Most of the banter and hype surrounding the start of the Delaware-Delaware State football rivalry came from Delaware fans, and rightly so, considering the Blue Hens are just two years removed from an FCS championship game appearance and six years removed from their last national title.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4255150

93henfan
September 21st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Though the only two Division I schools in the state are only about 40 miles apart, they had never met in a regular-season game until Saturday, making the chatter surrounding the game that much more vocal.

xconfusedx

DelState only sold 800 tickets, returning more than a thousand to Newark. Delaware fans didn't do much better, as there were empty seats everywhere on a temperate, cloudless, perfect-for-football day.

It's odd that in the second smallest state in the union, I didn't hear all of the "chatter" that is being reported. I'm not sure who keeps thinking this is a huge game, but it's certainly not Delawareans. The media hype is getting old. Yes, the first meeting two years ago was intriguing, but this one was not.

The two things that could make this a real rivalry would be:
1. A DelState team that could win 50% of the games.
2. A DelState stadium capable of hosting a large crowd and thus make the series home-and-home.

Until then, this game is West Chesteresque. At least it counts as a D-I win. That's about the only saving grace.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM
xconfusedx

DelState only sold 800 tickets, returning more than a thousand to Newark. Delaware fans didn't do much better, as there were empty seats everywhere on a temperate, cloudless, perfect-for-football day.

It's odd that in the second smallest state in the union, I didn't hear all of the "chatter" that is being reported. I'm not sure who keeps thinking this is a huge game, but it's certainly not Delawareans. The media hype is getting old. Yes, the first meeting two years ago was intriguing, but this one was not.

The two things that could make this a real rivalry would be:
1. A DelState team that could win 50% of the games.
2. A DelState stadium capable of hosting a large crowd and thus make the series home-and-home.

Until then, this game is West Chesteresque. At least it counts as a D-I win. That's about the only saving grace.

D$%^ FURPLE!!!!!1 xflamemadx

xlolxxlolx

93henfan
September 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM
D$%^ FURPLE!!!!!1 xflamemadx

xlolxxlolx

I hear a payoff tends to lessen the pain of an embarrassing 52-12 thumping.

(Take out "52-12" from the above statement and it sounds like prostitution, no?)

henfan
September 21st, 2009, 10:56 AM
I thought the fan turnout was somewhat disappointing but there were certainly more than 800 DSU fans in attendance. 800+ was the number who bought tickets through the university. I'd imagine many purchased them from online sources or via the UD box office, especially those DSU fans living in NC County.

What didn't help was charging $30 for all seats, rather than maintaining the regular tickets prices. The terminally lazy might have also stayed away because the game was broadcast live on TV. Still, this game will likely be UD's most profitable gate because of the inflated ticket price.

All in all the game was a success and those who railed against it for so long were proven dead wrong. Clearly, there's no good reason to have never played DSU. That said, the series won't begin to approach a heat of a competitive rivalry unless DSU can win games and consistently keep games close.

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 11:04 AM
I thought the fan turnout was somewhat disappointing but there were certainly more than 800 DSU fans in attendance. 800+ was the number who bought tickets through the university. I'd imagine many purchased them from online sources or via the UD box office, especially those DSU fans living in NC County.

What didn't help was charging $30 for all seats, rather than maintaining the regular tickets prices. The terminally lazy might have also stayed away because the game was broadcast live on TV. Still, this game will likely be UD's most profitable gate because of the inflated ticket price.

All in all the game was a success and those who railed against it for so long were proven dead wrong.

Yeah, the $30 tickets were crazy, and it didn't help having a noon start on a Saturday in September - it wasn't necessarily hot but sitting in the sun for a few hours made it seem that way. Plus, you have to wonder what Jewish contingent wasn't there due to the fact of playing the game on Rosh Hashana. Odd considering most September home games anymore are night games (6PM starts) at UD.

As for the game, eh, hard to call it a success - depends on how you measure it. It wasn't a disaster like those who railed against it would've made it out to be, and it wasn't an electric atmosphere or huge event like those who pushed it would've liked it to be. At the end of the day, it was a so-so football game and the place was rather subdued, before, during, and after the game. It wasn't much different, except for the newspaper hype, than an early OOC game against an Albany or a Monmouth or someone like that. UD's played some of those games close (and have lost) and there was little excitement in the stadium over those games. It's better than West Chester because it is a DI win, but other than that it wasn't anything much more special. Maybe it will be one day, but it's far from it now.

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah, the $30 tickets were crazy, and it didn't help having a noon start on a Saturday in September - it wasn't necessarily hot but sitting in the sun for a few hours made it seem that way. Plus, you have to wonder what Jewish contingent wasn't there due to the fact of playing the game on Rosh Hashana. Odd considering most September home games anymore are night games (6PM starts) at UD.

As for the game, eh, hard to call it a success - depends on how you measure it. It wasn't a disaster like those who railed against it would've made it out to be, and it wasn't an electric atmosphere or huge event like those who pushed it would've liked it to be. At the end of the day, it was a so-so football game and the place was rather subdued, before, during, and after the game. It wasn't much different, except for the newspaper hype, than an early OOC game against an Albany or a Monmouth or someone like that. UD's played some of those games close (and have lost) and there was little excitement in the stadium over those games. It's better than West Chester because it is a DI win, but other than that it wasn't anything much more special. Maybe it will be one day, but it's far from it now.

And this will all change once they catch you all slippin' and catch u cold in the face. xpeacex

R.A.
September 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Nothing wrong with MEAC teams earning respect, it improves the perception of our conference play.

The win would have been better though.

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
And this will all change once they catch you all slippin' and catch u cold in the face. xpeacex

Eh, hard to say. Albany caught UD sleeping back in '06 and no one really gets excited one way or the other about an upcoming Albany game.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM

All in all the game was a success and those who railed against it for so long were proven dead wrong. Clearly, there's no good reason to have never played DSU. That said, the series won't begin to approach a heat of a competitive rivalry unless DSU can win games and consistently keep games close.
xcoffeex Wasn't the attendance higher for WCUPA? xeyebrowx

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
xcoffeex Wasn't the attendance higher for WCUPA? xeyebrowx

Isn't WCUPA always the first game of the season for UD? xrolleyesx

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:39 PM
Isn't WCUPA always the first game of the season for UD? xrolleyesx
No. This was only the second time since 1996. Very often the third game matter of fact. xpeacex

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
No. This was only the second time since 1996. Very often the third game matter of fact. xpeacex

xpeacex wasn't aware of that 89. Thanks.

Ok well apples to apples, the West Chester game WAS the first game of the season and 9 times out of 10 those games are usually sellouts or the highest attended game of the year. Having this "First State Cup" or whatever as an annual kickoff to the college football season in Delaware would always be a sellout. Guaranteed. Make it an actual event. Not just a football game. That's how HBCUs do it with their "Classics" and this is the only way this game works on an annual basis.

(As long as UD doesn't gouge on ticket prices xwinkx)

BTW... rumor is that the Richmond game barely sold the same amount of tickets as ours. Maybe the UD fanbase needs to look at itself in the mirror. xwhistlex

93henfan
September 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM
BTW... rumor is that the Richmond game barely sold the same amount of tickets as ours. Maybe the UD fanbase needs to look at itself in the mirror. xwhistlex

I wouldn't speak of Delaware's fanbase when I think the D-II High School Championship game I attended at DSU last December drew more than a typical Hornets game.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM
You're right. Attendance is a little off all-around so far this year. That's what a 4-8 season, in a bad economy, with increased donations required will do.

I was at the WCUPA and UR games. The difference in the UR game was lack of students. For the first game the South Endzone and all of Section N was full of students, but for the UR game the SEZ wasn't even full (bands were in Section N). My guess is mostly because it was raining until 2 minutes before kickoff.

I was opposed to the DelSt game on principle. I hated that other people were telling UD what they had to/should do. Now that the game has been played, I'm not opposed to future meetings. However, I do like to point out to people all over the I-AA world that this isn't as natural a rivalry as they thought. Having grown up in Delaware, I never once thought of DSU as a rival in anything. That's not supposed to be a knock at DSU, I just never thought of them as anything. UD's cheif rivals growing up were Temple and Lehigh and I'd still MUCH rather see the Hens play either of them than DSU. xpeacex

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
You're right. Attendance is a little off all-around so far this year. That's what a 4-8 season, in a bad economy, with increased donations required will do.

I was at the WCUPA and UR games. The difference in the UR game was lack of students. For the first game the South Endzone and all of Section N was full of students, but for the UR game the SEZ wasn't even full (bands were in Section N). My guess is mostly because it was raining until 2 minutes before kickoff.

I was opposed to the DelSt game on principle. I hated that other people were telling UD what they had to/should do. Now that the game has been played, I'm not opposed to future meetings. However, I do like to point out to people all over the I-AA world that this isn't as natural a rivalry as they thought. Having grown up in Delaware, I never once thought of DSU as a rival in anything. That's not supposed to be a knock at DSU, I just never thought of them as anything. UD's cheif rivals growing up were Temple and Lehigh and I'd still MUCH rather see the Hens play either of them than DSU. xpeacex

To me, it made very little sense that you guys never played each other sooner. The two biggest schools in the state never playing one another seemed just a little supsicious to an outsider. And with DSU being an HBCU, it definitely raised some red flags. It almost seemed that you were avoiding them in the past because they were an HBCU.

BTW: "Whippin' " on DSU year after year , in a Home & Home series would not harm the schedule and would force DSU to expand their facilities to fit all the Blue Hens in the stadium as they improve their team.

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
To me, it made very little sense that you guys never played each other sooner. The two biggest schools in the state never playing one another seemed just a little supsicious to an outsider. And with DSU being an HBCU, it definitely raised some red flags. It almost seemed that you were avoiding them in the past because they were an HBCU.
I really don't want to rehash all this again, but there are some facts you need to know. Two "biggest" schools needs an asterisk...

Delaware Undergraduates
Delaware = 16,110
Delaware Tech - Stanton Campus = 6,622
Wilmington College = 3,927
Delaware Tech - Owens Campus = 3,439
DSU = 2,855
Delaware Tech - Terry Campus = 1,958
Wesley College = 1,513

Delaware had also played HBCU's in the past, so that point is moot.

henfan
September 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
To me, it made very little sense that you guys never played each other sooner...

It didn't make any sense to many of us Hens fans either. Fortunately, all of the lame excuses and the people responsible for perpetrating them are now history.

It's amazing how quickly something can get done when you get people in place who don't subscribe to outdated preconceptions.xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
I really don't want to rehash all this again, but there are some facts you need to know. Two "biggest" schools needs an asterisk...

Delaware Undergraduates
Delaware = 16,110
Delaware Tech - Stanton Campus = 6,622
Wilmington College = 3,927
Delaware Tech - Owens Campus = 3,439
DSU = 2,855
Delaware Tech - Terry Campus = 1,958
Wesley College = 1,513

Delaware had also played HBCU's in the past, so that point is moot.

Del Tech for FCS!! xlolx

henfan
September 21st, 2009, 03:13 PM
I don't want to speak for our previous poster but I think his reference to 'the largest schools' was pretty clear. I'm certain he didn't intended to refer to community colleges, like Del Tech. Of course, UD and DSU are the two largest universities in Delaware and the only ones with D-I athletics.

Miami Dade CC is the largest 'school' in Florida by far but it doesn't compete athletically with UF, FSU, FAMU, etc.xrolleyesx

93henfan
September 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM
For the benefit of those outside the state or otherwise unaware, Del Tech is not short for Delaware Polytechnic Institute, but rather Delaware Technical and Community College.

(and I see henfan beat me to the observation)

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Let me rephrase my question: Why is it so hard for UD & DSU to get a yearly series going? To me it's a shame that the Biggest State University and the THIRD Biggest State University in Delaware can not play yearly, even though it would be a yearly UD beatdown?

bluehenbillk
September 21st, 2009, 03:41 PM
There is little interest in trying to create a rivalry where there isnt one. We've played twice now & there are 2-3 other games scheduled for the future. There certainly is no mandate for the game to be played regularly as most people spoke with their wallets. The game will probably lose luster over time if DSU can't make it more competitive.

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Maybe I am missing something but I don't understand why there isn't "interest" in this game? Why isn't there a "rivalry" between the two state Universities in Delaware? I guess this leads into this question:

Why isn't there more interest in Delaware state from fellow citizens of Delaware of all races?

GannonFan
September 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
I agree with BHBK - there's just no juice between the two schools to make it a real rivlary. Back in 1990 when UD and DSU began an annual basketball series, the first game was great, tons of excitement. By the end of the series several years later, when it just fizzled out and really noone noticed that the series ended, it died because no one really cared or noticed to continue it.

This football series has all the markings of the same outcome. UD's going to win most, if not all of the games. And ultimately no one's going to care very much because whether it's Delaware St, or Monmouth, or Dusquesne, or some other pretty inconsequential opponent, it's not going to matter very much to the UD fanbase, and there is little to no fanbase for DSU.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this "state" rivalry is so much different than other state rivlaries (Mich/Mich St, Ore/Ore St, Alabama/Auburn, etc) because most of the people at both schools have very little connection to the state - the vast majority of students at both schools come from out of state, the even more vast majority of the players come from out of state, and the fans mostly come from out of state. There are relatively few native Delawareans to really generate enough intrastate feeling about this.

93henfan
September 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM
DSU just has to bet better. Then it'll be a rivalry.

I'll add that DSU being an HBCU and being located in Dover also has an impact. If DSU was located in Wilmington, I think they'd have a bigger fanbase with the larger African American population upstate. People downstate don't rally around or really care about DelState.

henfan
September 21st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Of course, DSU does indeed have a campus in Wilmington (along with UD), as well as having its largest, most ardent group of alums in the city and around New Castle Co. Historically, that's exactly where their largest FB fanbase comes from, not Kent or Sussex Co.

Aggie, there has been sufficient interest in the game for many years. It took a new UD administration and fresh perspective to realize the value of playing DSU. I'd be surprised if this game didn't generate the highest amount of ticket revenue of any UD home game ever, given the inflated ticket prices. Unfortunately, those high prices probably kept the UD from selling another 1,500 tickets. That's something they should consider in the future.

Time will tell if a rivalry ever develops or if the series continues to hold people's interest. I'd doubt anyone wants this or any series to become a dull and noncompetitive as the West Chester series. That doesn't do either school any good.

cougarpines
September 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Do you really think another five bucks made a difference. Bull, there is no difference if it really is a " rivalry"

Ivytalk
September 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
I'm with 89Hen. The politicians and the news media wanted this game more than the average UD fan. Me, meh.xcoffeex

89Hen
September 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Aggie, there has been sufficient interest in the game for many years.
BALONEY. There's so much excitement that NEITHER of the first two games sold out. xrolleyesx

The interest is SMALL. You know this but can't admit it.

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
BALONEY. There's so much excitement that NEITHER of the first two games sold out. xrolleyesx

I agree. Although it DOES have potential. No 40 point, West Chester-like drubbings every year for the Hens. Much to the chagrin of their fans xwhistlex

DSU needs to focus on building their fanbase. They have to be active in the Dover community and the entire state. Advertise, sell tickets OUTSIDE of the DSU ticket office. Sell merch off campus. Once the MEAC's deal for "exclusive"xnonono2x games on its network expires, talk to CSN Philly about airing games on its network.

Things like that will help spread the DSU brand across the area. Athletics are a marketing tool for your respective Universities. DSU has the means to make this come to fruition, the question is if they have the dedication and the drive.

MR. CHICKEN
September 21st, 2009, 09:08 PM
TICKET PRICES....AS AH SEEM TA REMEBERAH......HAD SOMETHIN' TA DO WHIFF....PAYIN' DELAWARE STATE...FO' DUH INCONVENIENCE....O' DUH HENS....NEVERAH HAVIN' TA GO TA DOVER...........AS FO' DUH RIVALRY ISSUE......AH'M GUESSIN'.....HEN FANS ARE WALKIN' ON EGG-SHELLS.....IN TRYIN' TA BOTH BE RESPECTFUL O' DUH HISTORICALLY BLACK UNIVERSITY.....&.....DUH KILLERAH INSTINCT....WE DISPLAY....WHEN DUH LIKES O' 'NOVA.....INVADE DUH TUB.........AS AH'VE MENTIONED IN OTHERAH POSTS......THIS WAS UH SANDWICH GAME...(TRAP)...WHERE WE CAME OFFAH GUT WRENCHER....AGIN' RICHMOND.....AN' UH VISIT TA WILLIAMSBURG......THE FANS & TEAM WERE FLAT...AH ALSO AGREE DUH MEDIA/STATE/UNIVERSITY OFFICIALS.....ARE FANNIN' DUH FLAME....THAT DOESN'T EXIST YET....DUH HORNETS....HAD DERE OPPORTUNITIES....DUH RECIEVERS WERE OPEN ALL DAY....SOME KEY DROPS...PENALTIES....KEPT THEM FROM PULLIN' IT OFF.....IT WAS UH TV GAME LOCALLY...AS WAS RICHMOND.....RECESSION IS TAKIN' SOME TOLL.....WE HAVEN'T HAD DUH SELL-OUTS LATELY..........MAYBE SKED DUH HORNETS....ON OPENIN' DAY......WHEN EVERAH-ONE IS HUNGRY FO' PIGGY.............xtwocentsx..........BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

DSUrocks07
September 21st, 2009, 09:13 PM
TICKET PRICES....AS AH SEEM TA REMEBERAH......HAD SOMETHIN' TA DO WHIFF....PAYIN' DELAWARE STATE...FO' DUH INCONVENIENCE....O' DUH HENS....NEVERAH HAVIN' TA GO TA DOVER...........AS FO' DUH RIVALRY ISSUE......AH'M GUESSIN'.....HEN FANS ARE WALKIN' ON EGG-SHELLS.....IN TRYIN' TA BOTH BE RESPECTFUL O' DUH HISTORICALLY BLACK UNIVERSITY.....&.....DUH KILLERAH INSTINCT....WE DISPLAY....WHEN DUH LIKES O' 'NOVA.....INVADE DUH TUB.........AS AH'VE MENTIONED IN OTHERAH POSTS......THIS WAS UH SANDWICH GAME...(TRAP)...WHERE WE CAME OFFAH GUT WRENCHER....AGIN' RICHMOND.....AN' UH VISIT TA WILLIAMSBURG......THE FANS & TEAM WERE FLAT...AH ALSO AGREE DUH MEDIA/STATE/UNIVERSITY OFFICIALS.....ARE FANNIN' DUH FLAME....THAT DOESN'T EXIST YET....DUH HORNETS....HAD DERE OPPORTUNITIES....DUH RECIEVERS WERE OPEN ALL DAY....SOME KEY DROPS...PENALTIES....KEPT THEM FROM PULLIN' IT OFF.....IT WAS UH TV GAME LOCALLY...AS WAS RICHMOND.....RECESSION IS TAKIN' SOME TOLL.....WE HAVEN'T HAD DUH SELL-OUTS LATELY..........MAYBE SKED DUH HORNETS....ON OPENIN' DAY......WHEN EVERAH-ONE IS HUNGRY FO' PIGGY.............xtwocentsx..........BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

xthumbsupx

wut he sed

YoUDeeMan
September 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM

Bingo!

Add in the fact that the News Journal, UD, DSU, local radio stations, and even the state of Delaware tired their best to create excitement around the games and they still could not get the games sold out. Even the weather tried it's best to help out...Saturday's game was forecasted to be...and turned out to be...a beautiful day for football. Where did everyone go?

And yes, some UD fans were turned off by what amounted to financial blackmail as the DSU mantra of, "playing UD anytime, anywhere" turned out to be nothing other than a bold faced lie (where are those DSU fans who supported that stupid belief **cough*cough***).

Face it...DSU graduates a small number of students per year. As GF pointed out, most of them don't live in Delaware and won't return after they leave the school. DSU's main campus is located in Dover...a small town...and how many of the city's population is military and transient? DSU simply doesn't have a fan base and very few people follow their teams. Few people donate to their school (only a $20MM endowment xeekx $20MM!!!). Few people care.

The local TV station couldn't sell more than a handful of advertisements and had to keep repeating the same UD ads.

Ignoring the facts, some folks will still try to spin a story of decades of pent up interest for this "rivalry". xlolx

xcoffeex

As a fan of both teams, I'd rather have them meet in the playoffs.

henfan
September 22nd, 2009, 12:14 AM

When do playoff games sell out, 89? Come on, man. I know you're smarter than that. That game was the 3rd highest attended in NCAA playoff history and the still largest ever in Newark. There's no harm in admitting there was indeed excitement and interest in that game and justification for what others have been saying for many years- that UD and DSU should play.

As for Saturday's game, you know as well as anyone that there are valid reasons why this game and the game the previous week against the defending national champion did not sell out. Unfortunately, we're bound to see more non-sellouts this year. It has less to do with interest and more to do with other external factors, beyond the name of the opponent.

At the end of the day, UD sold 20,585 tickets at $30 a pop, (as opposed to the regularly priced $26 & $23 Grandstands, $18 NEZ & $10 NEZ Children). This would make Saturday's game the most profitable in DE Stadium history, despite coming 1400 tickets short of a sell out. If the interest was as "SMALL" as you suggest, a crowd of over 9K non-UD season ticket holders wouldn't have purchased tickets at as much as $4-$20 over regular cost. I'm happy the game took place, as I'm sure are the beancounters on South College.

If the UD-DSU series loses its significance, isn't sufficiently competitive, or is a flop at the gate, I'll be right there with you advocating to get it off the schedule. That time isn't after the first game, especially one that was well attended and competitive.

henfan
September 22nd, 2009, 12:34 AM
Ignoring the facts, some folks will still try to spin a story of decades of pent up interest for this "rivalry".

Yeah, as if the 3rd highest attended FB playoff game in NCAA history wasn't evidence enough. As if selling 20.5K tickets at $30 a pop for an FCS matchup in as bad an economy as we've seen in decades wasn't evidence enough. xlolx

I completely accept that some folks will never get beyond their own personal biases and see the world beyond their own noses. Fortunately, that group no longer includes administrators at my alma mater.xbowx

As for preferring where and when the two teams meet, I'd agree with you that I'd prefer it be during the playoffs. That would still leave plenty of room for us to play the Hornets every so often during the regular season. I like the idea, sir.xthumbsupxxpeacex

bluehenbillk
September 22nd, 2009, 07:18 AM
When do playoff games sell out, 89? Come on, man. I know you're smarter than that. That game was the 3rd highest attended in NCAA playoff history and the still largest ever in Newark. There's no harm in admitting there was indeed excitement and interest in that game and justification for what others have been saying for many years- that UD and DSU should play.

Henfan- I think we can both agree that yes, there was a ton of excitement & interest for the playoff game in '07 & there was a total lack of any such buzz this past Saturday.

henfan
September 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Henfan- I think we can both agree that yes, there was a ton of excitement & interest for the playoff game in '07 & there was a total lack of any such buzz this past Saturday.

Yeah, Bill, I'd agree that Saturday's regular season game wasn't as meaningful as the '07 playoff game on a purely competitive level. Few regular season FCS games rise to that level, especially considering the circumstances surrounding that very first meeting.

Others can and likely will continue to argue & offer their own interpretations of subjective elements like excitement and buzz, including the coverage overkill in the local newspaper. Ultimately, the personal feelings & opinions of select fans on message boards like you and me matter very little. The respective schools will judge whether or not future games are worthwhile based on the results on the field and at the box office during the course of the future 3 game series. Clearly though, UD is not likely to ever avoid scheduling DSU without good reason.xthumbsupx

Regardless of how the future games go, whether it develops into a competitive rivalry or not, I've never been an advocate of UD locking in to noncon games every year against the same team, whether it's DSU, Navy or WCUPA. Purely from the season ticket holder standpoint, I'd like to see our AD work to offer us acceptable variety for our money.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
There's no harm in admitting there was indeed excitement and interest in that game

If the UD-DSU series loses its significance, isn't sufficiently competitive, or is a flop at the gate, I'll be right there with you advocating to get it off the schedule. That time isn't after the first game, especially one that was well attended and competitive.
There was a lot of interest in 2007. Playoffs, first ever meeting, on ESPN, etc... A LOT less interest in 2009. You really think $4-7 per ticket was the difference? If there was sufficient interest as you claimed, people would be clamoring for these tix. Face facts henfan, you are in the minority of Hen fans that would rather see DSU than Richmond, Maine, Lehigh, you name the opponent. It's CLEAR by the attendance that this game was NOT special for the VAST majority of Hen fans. It's special to DSU fans and to the News Journal, neither of which put fannies in the seats.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM
I completely accept that some folks will never get beyond their own personal biases and see the world beyond their own noses. Fortunately, that group no longer includes administrators at my alma mater.xbowx
Your administration caved. Big difference. But in the long run they did the right thing... They showed everyone that this is not a natural rivalry.

Big Al
September 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Wait, you got 20k to show up for a team that went 3-9 last year, is unranked, against an unranked opponent, charged them more money for the privilege and did all this in a recession?

Man, there's about a hundred other FCS programs in the country that would kill for that level of disinterest.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Wait, you got 20k to show up for a team that went 3-9 last year, is unranked, against an unranked opponent, charged them more money for the privilege and did all this in a recession?

Man, there's about a hundred other FCS programs in the country that would kill for that level of disinterest.
There were more people in attendance for a game against a DII. xpeacex

henfan
September 22nd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Your administration caved. Big difference. But in the long run they did the right thing... They showed everyone that this is not a natural rivalry.

Yup, they finally caved to common sense.xnodxxlolx

89, you're certainly entitled to interpret the UD's decision to finally schedule DSU any way you like. I'd prefer to take the UD on its word that they wanted the game because ultimately they believe it's a good thing for our university.

As far as being able to determine if this will ever develop into a competitive rivalry, that can hardly be proven or disproven after only two games. We'll find out if it develops in due time. If it does, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. The point is that the schools finally gave it the old college try. There's no harm in that, brother.xpeacex

henfan
September 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
There were more people in attendance for a game against a DII. xpeacex

Not by halftime.xlolx

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Yup, they finally caved to common sense.xnodxxlolx

89, you're certainly entitled to interpret the UD's decision to finally schedule DSU any way you like. I'd prefer to take the UD on its word that they wanted the game because ultimately they believe it's a good thing for our university.

As far as being able to determine if this will ever develop into a competitive rivalry, that can hardly be proven or disproven after only two games. We'll find out if it develops in due time. If it does, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't. The point is that the schools finally gave it the old college try. There's no harm in that, brother.xpeacex
IMO they know it would get the press off their backs. So in a way it's good, but not in the way I think you think it is.

My point was that you said there were so many people calling for this game and that there was so much excitement to have this game, it just amazes me that it wasn't a hard ticket to get. xpeacex

henfan
September 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
IMO they know it would get the press off their backs. So in a way it's good, but not in the way I think you think it is.

My point was that you said there were so many people calling for this game and that there was so much excitement to have this game, it just amazes me that it wasn't a hard ticket to get. xpeacex

I'd agree that getting the press off their backs was certainly an added bonus of finally scheduling the game, just not the main reason it was done. Again, no one can make you believe Dr. Harker's sincerity.

If there's a direct correlation between interest & excitement, 20.6K fans at $30 a pop for FCS FB ain't too shabby by any measure.

If you still disagree and feel so strongly that the DSU game was a financial or competitive failure, I'd recommend presenting your case to Pat Harker or Bernard Muir for future consideration. They're much more capable of explaining their rationale than I ever could.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
If you still disagree and feel so strongly that the DSU game was a financial or competitive failure...
I think that's most of the point. It's not a complete failure. Any Hens home game is a good thing. All I'm saying is this is a bust compared to expectations. xnodx

henfan
September 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
All I'm saying is this is a bust compared to expectations. xnodx

I respect your opinion, so long as you recognize it as just that. Personally, I thought it was a great day and the game met and exceeded the expectations of me, my family and circle of Hen fans on several levels. Our respective personal experiences aren't what's going to determine the future of the UD-DSU series, so there's no point in arguing subjective opinions.

According to post game comments, the administrations of the two universities apparently have already decided that the event was a success and will continue to be part of a larger partnership between the two schools.xthumbsupx

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
I think it's a pretty clear point now that UD can schedule anyone to come to Delaware Stadium and the place will be pretty close to full or completely filled. Whether it be West Chester, or DSU, or Monmouth, or Dusquesne, or anyone, people will come in decent numbers, and fantastic numbers compared to much of the rest of the FCS world.

But I think 89's right - the biggest benefit of all of this was to rid UD of the ire of the national media and the unwarranted pot shots that called UD racist. Once it got to that level, you had to play DSU and they did and they will at various times in the future. But for all of the reasons detailed here, this will never become a heated rivalry and, more likely, it will fall to the wayside like the basketball series did. There's just no interest to sustain it. Delaware will drop West Chester after the 2012 game and it's likely that DSU will fill the void of patsy, probably most years but not all, very nicely going forward. And when UD plays DSU the stadium will be close or all the way filled and when they don't the stadium will also be close or all the way filled. That's just the way it is.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
I wish I could go back and find the posts in 2007 that said that a UD-DSU game could sell out the Linc. xlolx

bluehenbillk
September 22nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
I wish I could go back and find the posts in 2007 that said that a UD-DSU game could sell out the Linc. xlolx

That was most likely from the boards lone DSU poster.....

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
No way. It was from AppSt posters, GSU, UNI, Montana, etc... all the ones who had their finger on the pulse of goings-ons in the First State. :p

DSUrocks07
September 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM

Slanderous much? xwhistlex

And there's a couple more of us on here billk

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Slanderous much? xwhistlex

And there's a couple more of us on here billk

Really? How many different screen names do you have??? xlolx:p

DSUrocks07
September 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Really? How many different screen names do you have??? xlolx:p

didn't you know....theres only like six people who use this site xlolxxwhistlex

FTR and IMO Delaware State should not be worried about "earning" any respect. The only respect that matters is gained through victories, Delaware State has the potential to become a power in FCS. (You may laugh now but it is possible) All it takes is dedication, and its questionable that our current administration has that. I don't want DSU to be on par with UD, I want them to surpass UD. xpeacex

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
didn't you know....theres only like six people who use this site xlolxxwhistlex

FTR and IMO Delaware State should not be worried about "earning" any respect. The only respect that matters is gained through victories, Delaware State has the potential to become a power in FCS. (You may laugh now but it is possible) All it takes is dedication, and its questionable that our current administration has that. I don't want DSU to be on par with UD, I want them to surpass UD. xpeacex

Actually, I find it funny that you think I just "may" laugh at that sentiment. I don't think there's been a sentiment on these boards, probably ever, that would be any more guaranteed to elicit a laugh from me than that one.

Hey, you're a fan and you're allowed to be crazy, more power to you in that regard, but unless there's a seismic shift in the FCS landscape and a whole host of programs *cough* CAA *cough* leave the classification, there's no way DSU is going to be a "power" program in the FCS. But keep the faith man! xpeacex

DSUrocks07
September 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Actually, I find it funny that you think I just "may" laugh at that sentiment. I don't think there's been a sentiment on these boards, probably ever, that would be any more guaranteed to elicit a laugh from me than that one.

Hey, you're a fan and you're allowed to be crazy, more power to you in that regard, but unless there's a seismic shift in the FCS landscape and a whole host of programs *cough* CAA *cough* leave the classification, there's no way DSU is going to be a "power" program in the FCS. But keep the faith man! xpeacex

Just giving you the benefit of the doubt GF xsmiley_wix

And actually I find it funny that this article claims a newfound "respect" for the Hornets from the Hens. When the reality is far from the truth xwhistlex

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Just giving you the benefit of the doubt GF xsmiley_wix

And actually I find it funny that this article claims a newfound "respect" for the Hornets from the Hens. When the reality is far from the truth xwhistlex

It's a tough and cruel world out there, ain't it! xlolxxpeacex

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Delaware State has the potential to become a power in FCS. (You may laugh now but it is possible) All it takes is dedication, and its questionable that our current administration has that. I don't want DSU to be on par with UD, I want them to surpass UD. xpeacex
I won't laugh, but I will give you several reasons it's close to impossible...

- Delaware is a small state and you can't rely on recruits from Delaware to make a team. That means you will have to go out of state and compete with everyone else under the sun, including those with fantastic support and facilities.

- You are in the MEAC. The MEAC attracts some talent, but is infamous for squandering it. A couple more first round exits and the MEAC may go the route of the SWAC and just bag the playoffs all together.

- You don't have the money or the support of the state for money. Graduating classes of 800 people won't get you there either.

DSUrocks07
September 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
I won't laugh, but I will give you several reasons it's close to impossible...

- Delaware is a small state and you can't rely on recruits from Delaware to make a team. That means you will have to go out of state and compete with everyone else under the sun, including those with fantastic support and facilities.

- You are in the MEAC. The MEAC attracts some talent, but is infamous for squandering it. A couple more first round exits and the MEAC may go the route of the SWAC and just bag the playoffs all together.

- You don't have the money or the support of the state for money. Graduating classes of 800 people won't get you there either.

I can guarantee that the MEAC would implode under that scenario. xnodx

Regional recruiting is the key, Virginia is a hotbed of talent, so is PA. DSU could win some of those recruiting battles, not dominate them but some. And there is some talent here in Delaware that could view the potential exposure of growing the DSU program to look towards staying instate for school.

Not making any guarantees but I'm saying that there's opportunities out there. DSU needs to first decide on its own what it wants to be.

89Hen
September 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Regional recruiting is the key, Virginia is a hotbed of talent, so is PA. DSU could win some of those recruiting battles, not dominate them but some.
Getting tougher every day. The addition of ODU alone is going to make that state tougher. Add in Richmond and JMU both winning NC's and building/improving their stadiums and facilities. Every year DSU waits to make improvements, you basically fall three more years behind.

YoUDeeMan
September 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'd agree that getting the press off their backs was certainly an added bonus of finally scheduling the game, just not the main reason it was done. Again, no one can make you believe Dr. Harker's sincerity.

If there's a direct correlation between interest & excitement, 20.6K fans at $30 a pop for FCS FB ain't too shabby by any measure.

If you still disagree and feel so strongly that the DSU game was a financial or competitive failure, I'd recommend presenting your case to Pat Harker or Bernard Muir for future consideration. They're much more capable of explaining their rationale than I ever could.

Remember, UD is giving DSU way more money than we give other teams to play at the Tub (adding even more garbage to the statement that DSU wanted to play UD on any terms), and UD will be giving DSU even more money...and even a "home" game...in the future, so UD doesn't get as big a windfall as you'd think from this game. However, Pandora's box has been opened, so expect the other DSU tickets to be overpriced as well...and those games won't be the only ones.

Congrats! As a result of nothing more than blackmail, UD fans will continue to pay for years to come. xoopsx

henfan
September 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Remember, UD is giving DSU way more money than we give other teams to play at the Tub...

"Way more money". Really? What are our guarantees to DSU vs. other OOC teams? Since you made that comment with such certainty, presumably you have access to those numbers. xeyebrowx

MR. CHICKEN
September 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
DUH CLUCKSTER IS RIGHT....DON'T THINK DUH SPECIFICS WERE EVERAH NOTED IN DUH JOURNAL......BUT DELAWARE STATE WILL BE PAID AS DUH HOME TEAM IN ONE O' DUH UPCOMIN' GAMES....IN LIEU.....O' NOT PLAYIN' IN DOVERAH.....AN' TICKETS FO' SATURDAYS GAME.....$30 DUCATS..WHICH WOOD SUGGEST......HE'S CORRECT.........xnodx......BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

93henfan
September 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
"Way more money". Really? What are our guarantees to DSU vs. other OOC teams? Since you made that comment with such certainty, presumably you have access to those numbers. xeyebrowx

Nobody has access to the numbers outside the UD and DSU administrations. Kevin Tresolini wrote an article in The News Journal on Feb 25, 2009 (since archived, but discussed in detail on GoHens.net - see thread "Congrats to DSU") that stated that UD's President Dr. Harker would not disclose financial details. Dr. Harker did state that "UD increased its guarantee offer several times", which would lead a reasonable person to believe that DSU is getting the highest payout of any Delaware Stadium opponent. In addition, DSU is getting the home take of the gate for the game(s) at Delaware Stadium where DSU is considered the home team. No other opponent at Delaware Stadium ever gets the home take. I think I'll have to agree with Cluck U. DSU is getting way more money. But can I give you exact figures? No.....BRAWK/UTLEY/HOWARD!!!

YoUDeeMan
September 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM

1) You really don't want to know the numbers because whatever the numbers are, you will justify it.

2) Other posters can use public information already released to come to a reasonable conclusion that DSU got a sweetheart deal...how come you can't do the same? Denying it doesn't make it go away.

3) If you think that the numbers for DSU have not leaked, then you are mistaken. Give it time...your sources will catch up. Then you can go back to #1.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
Dr. Harker did state that "UD increased its guarantee offer several times", which would lead a reasonable person to believe that DSU is getting the highest payout of any Delaware Stadium opponent. In addition, DSU is getting the home take of the gate for the game(s) at Delaware Stadium where DSU is considered the home team. No other opponent at Delaware Stadium ever gets the home take. I think I'll have to agree with Cluck U. DSU is getting way more money.
xnodx xnodx xnodx

henfan
September 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Dr. Harker did state that "UD increased its guarantee offer several times", which would lead a reasonable person to believe that DSU is getting the highest payout of any Delaware Stadium opponent.

No, a reasonable person would take a look at Dr. Harker's comment and then consider it to mean very little, other than him demonstrating honest intent to schedule a game with DSU.

Dr. Harker makes no mention of the original guarantee starting figure offered by UD, the amount of the increased offers ($1 or $1000?) or, most important of all, the final contracted amount. Also, not having a clue of the guarantee amounts UD has paid out to any of its noncon opponents, a reasonable person would not attempt a comparison in the first place, let alone jump to a conclusion that one opponent is receiving "way more money" than another.

If you prefer speculation to fact, suit yourself. Just at least be honest about it.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
No, a reasonable person would take a look at Dr. Harker's comment and then consider it to mean very little, other than him demonstrating honest intent to schedule a game with DSU.
Count me as a nonreasonable person then. xrolleyesx

Oldhen
September 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
FTR and IMO Delaware State should not be worried about "earning" any respect. The only respect that matters is gained through victories, Delaware State has the potential to become a power in FCS. (You may laugh now but it is possible) All it takes is dedication, and its questionable that our current administration has that. I don't want DSU to be on par with UD, I want them to surpass UD.

Lavan deserves a helluva lot of credit for how much he's brought the program along. I watched the same thing happen back in the Purzycki/Collick years... only to see it get squandered. Back then, DSU football support grew by leaps and bounds in a few short years.

I don't think Sessoms had this on his radar screen at DSU, but winning fixes everything, and everybody wants to support a winner. DSU starts taking the MEAC and going to the playoffs regularly, you'll see how much silent DSU support is out there, waiting to jump on the bandwagon....

...and THAT'S where the rivalry will get rolling.

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Lavan deserves a helluva lot of credit for how much he's brought the program along. I watched the same thing happen back in the Purzycki/Collick years... only to see it get squandered. Back then, DSU football support grew by leaps and bounds in a few short years.

I don't think Sessoms had this on his radar screen at DSU, but winning fixes everything, and everybody wants to support a winner. DSU starts taking the MEAC and going to the playoffs regularly, you'll see how much silent DSU support is out there, waiting to jump on the bandwagon....

...and THAT'S where the rivalry will get rolling.

And what makes you think DSU is going to start winning the MEAC and going to the playoffs regularly? They've got one playoff appearance ever at the I-AA/FCS level, and even with the enlargement of the playoffs, most if not all those extra at-larges will be going to the likes of the CAA (remember, the CAA adds 2 teams over the next few years in ODU and GA State - and there's no reason to think ODU won' t be a very, very solid program) and other power conferences (Big Sky, SoCon, Southland). DSU is already 0-2 in the MEAC this year with the forfeit, so this will be yet another year they don't make the playoffs. Lavan is a decent coach and a good fit for the program, but how long will he be there? He's not a young guy (early to mid 60's, right?) so he's not a long term fit for DSU anyway. Hard to see how DSU won't fall back again once Lavan is gone, and even while he's there how consistent they'll be.

Oldhen
September 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
And what makes you think DSU is going to start winning the MEAC and going to the playoffs regularly?

I didn't predict they would.

My phrasing may have confused you, but if you read back, you can pretty clearly see that it was a conditional construction.... you know... if/then.

That said, if Lavan sticks around, I'd not be all that surprised to see it come to pass.

Let's not get argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM

My phrasing may have confused you, but if you read back, you can pretty clearly see that it was a conditional construction.... you know... if/then.

That said, if Lavan sticks around, I'd not be all that surprised to see it come to pass.

I wasn't being argumentative, just merely questioning the premise of whether DSU can seriously be considered an annual contender for the MEAC title. Lavan's been there for what, six years or so? And he has 1 MEAC title, in a year where even most MEAC supporters say was a very down year for the conference. Lavan didn't win last year, and won't win the conference this year. I just don't see where there's a legitimate expectation that he's on track to potentially dominate the MEAC and allow the bandwagon formation of a fanbase as a result of it. That's all. xcoffeex

DSUrocks07
September 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
And what makes you think DSU is going to start winning the MEAC and going to the playoffs regularly? They've got one playoff appearance ever at the I-AA/FCS level, and even with the enlargement of the playoffs, most if not all those extra at-larges will be going to the likes of the CAA (remember, the CAA adds 2 teams over the next few years in ODU and GA State - and there's no reason to think ODU won' t be a very, very solid program) and other power conferences (Big Sky, SoCon, Southland). DSU is already 0-2 in the MEAC this year with the forfeit, so this will be yet another year they don't make the playoffs. Lavan is a decent coach and a good fit for the program, but how long will he be there? He's not a young guy (early to mid 60's, right?) so he's not a long term fit for DSU anyway. Hard to see how DSU won't fall back again once Lavan is gone, and even while he's there how consistent they'll be.

at that point the question becomes not how good of a coach he is, but how good he is at building a program.xnodx

establish a tradition/system
bring in a coaching staff who buys into that tradition
recruit the type of players who fit that system
build a coaching tree
????
Profit!

Oldhen
September 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
I wasn't being argumentative

Whatever you say.

Again, it was a conditional statement. You want to lay long odds on the 'if', that's entirley up to you.

I made no prediction about them and the playoffs, but I'll guarantee that if DSU did that regularly, a whole lot of closeted DSU fans would stand up and be counted.

That was my point. Those fans are out there.

I particularly liked the cute little emoticon.

DSUrocks07
September 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
I wasn't being argumentative, just merely questioning the premise of whether DSU can seriously be considered an annual contender for the MEAC title. Lavan's been there for what, six years or so? And he has 1 MEAC title, in a year where even most MEAC supporters say was a very down year for the conference. Lavan didn't win last year, and won't win the conference this year. I just don't see where there's a legitimate expectation that he's on track to potentially dominate the MEAC and allow the bandwagon formation of a fanbase as a result of it. That's all. xcoffeex

One could already say that DSU is an annual contender. Prior to the forfeit, some people believed that we would finish 7th in the conference. And with our two performances so far, more and more MEAC followers believe that we are the third best team right now. If DSU could generate more support from our Alumni in financial donations we wont have to play these "money games" and will improve our overall record. As it was said, winning cures all ills.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
DSU starts taking the MEAC and going to the playoffs regularly
That's a pretty bold prediction Oldhen. xeyebrowx

:p

Oldhen
September 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
That's a pretty bold prediction Oldhen.

Read:

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
Read:
Hey, it's OK if you think DelSt is going to become a I-AA powerhouse. xthumbsupx

Oldhen
September 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hey, it's OK if you think DelSt is going to become a I-AA powerhouse. xthumbsupx

Whatever you say.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 01:28 PM
Whatever you say.
Just remember that.

Oldhen
September 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Just remember that.

Nice chatting with you.

henfan
September 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
at that point the question becomes not how good of a coach he is, but how good he is at building a program.xnodx

establish a tradition/system
bring in a coaching staff who buys into that tradition
recruit the type of players who fit that system
build a coaching tree
????
Profit!

DSUrocks, don't you think the problem with DSU over the long-term has been a matter of competitive consistency and institutional support? For some of the good things that Dr. DeLauder did around campus, his administration really did a lot of damage to Hornet athletics through benign neglect. I know he personally wasn't a fan of athletics. During most of his tenure, DSU was fortunate to have a great FB mind and terrific guy like Bill Collick around. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the DSC admin under DeLauder did a lot to alienate too many of the staunchest athletic boosters. Dr. Sessoms really made a concerted effort to invest in athletics and elevate the profile of Hornet sports. Do you see that same sort of commitment continuing from Claiborne Smith or whoever his successor is? In other words, is the recent change of tone the result of the DSU Board of Trustees?

At the FCS level, coaching can make a huge difference. Al Lavan has done a very good job with re-establishing a winning tradition at DSU. Recruiting is as good as I've seen since the middle part of Collick's tenure. He has had a little bit of difficulty holding on to assistants, which is a problem for a lot of FCS programs these days. Has Lavan done a lot of bridge building with former players and alums who abandoned the FB program a few years back?

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Nice chatting with you.
Sorry it went over your head Oldhen. I guess you missed the :p on the first post.

xpeacex

Oldhen
September 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Sorry it went over your head Oldhen. I guess you missed the on the first post.

I ignore emoticons and smileys.

89Hen
September 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
I ignore emoticons and smileys.
Then you and I are going to have a tough time communicating. xrulesx

Oldhen
September 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Then you and I are going to have a tough time communicating.

Not really.

I'll just remember that it's whatever you say.

Nice chatting with you again.

MR. CHICKEN
September 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
NOT MAH FIGHT........BUT....WHASS-UP....WHIFF DUH TENSION AMONGST PECKERHEADS...IN DUH LAST COUPLE...O' PAGES.....xconfusedx.....BRAWK!!

SMILIES/EMOTICONS......ARE UH HANDY DEVICE...TA CLARIFY...WHAT'S MEANT/TONE......IN UH POST.............xtwocentsx..........AWK!

DELAWARE STATE IS NOT DUH TYPE O' INSTITUTION....DAT WILL FOSTER UH SUCCESSFUL COACH'S DESIRE.....TA BUILD AN EMPIRE.......WHEN DUH BETTERAH OFFER COMES....IT'S LATER AMIGOS.......xnodx......DOODLE-DOO!

WHAT'S WRONG WHIFF SILLY LOVE SONGS/WHAT'S SO FUNNY 'BOUT PEACE/LOVE/UNDERSTANDIN'..xconfusedx......;)

DSUrocks07
September 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM
http://http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=292620048

For arguments sake.

DSUrocks07
September 24th, 2009, 12:25 AM
DSUrocks, don't you think the problem with DSU over the long-term has been a matter of competitive consistency and institutional support? For some of the good things that Dr. DeLauder did around campus, his administration really did a lot of damage to Hornet athletics through benign neglect. I know he personally wasn't a fan of athletics. During most of his tenure, DSU was fortunate to have a great FB mind and terrific guy like Bill Collick around. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the DSC admin under DeLauder did a lot to alienate too many of the staunchest athletic boosters. Dr. Sessoms really made a concerted effort to invest in athletics and elevate the profile of Hornet sports. Do you see that same sort of commitment continuing from Claiborne Smith or whoever his successor is? In other words, is the recent change of tone the result of the DSU Board of Trustees?

At the FCS level, coaching can make a huge difference. Al Lavan has done a very good job with re-establishing a winning tradition at DSU. Recruiting is as good as I've seen since the middle part of Collick's tenure. He has had a little bit of difficulty holding on to assistants, which is a problem for a lot of FCS programs these days. Has Lavan done a lot of bridge building with former players and alums who abandoned the FB program a few years back?

I believe that the exposure that DSU has been getting over the last few years were a direct result of the performance of our athletic programs and I have confidence that the BOT sees this as well. Although it would make it better for all parties involved to have Dr. Smith or the Board itself to come out with a press release (or hell, even a press conference for that matter), that will state their desire to field competitive teams in all sports including football. The reason why the AD job went unfilled for so long was that it was undefined what position that DSU took in regards to athletics. It was an unknown unknown, while under Sessoms it was a known known. Now it is a known unknown because we dont have clarification to that fact. It appears that Lavan has been reaching out to the community and to DSU Alums over the years to bring back the support and that winning tradition. I'm not saying that DSU will be a multiple national championship winner, but I believe that we can get to the point where we can be in the conversation. Even though we are currently in the MEAC, its a tough conference when you have Florida A&M and SC State in front of you.

89Hen
September 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM
NOT MAH FIGHT........BUT....WHASS-UP....WHIFF DUH TENSION AMONGST PECKERHEADS...IN DUH LAST COUPLE...O' PAGES.....xconfusedx.....BRAWK!!
Spillover from gohens.net :(