PDA

View Full Version : Richmond 47, Hofstra 0

Eight Legger
September 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Any questions? Enjoyed that home opener. Awesome crowd too to see the hoisting of the national championship flag.

kdinva
September 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Fine victory for UR. I'll be there next Saturday.

seattlespider
September 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Defense was dominant as the score and box score would suggest. Offense was slow to start, but really turned it up in the 2nd quarter. Still a little concerned about the running game. Ward was out 1/2 way through the third iirc. Is it too early to start the petition to retire his number when he is finally done?

ASUG8
September 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Full on beat down it seems...congrats arachnids xthumbsupx

seattlespider
September 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Full on beat down it seems...congrats arachnids xthumbsupx

Pretty much. Though the Hofstra QB was pretty good.

JMUNJ08
September 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
How good could he have been when they were shut out? Were they really worth being a top 25 ranked team or is this the same Hofstra team as last year?

spdram
September 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Our D line dominated and took them out of their gameplan. They had to start going with quick dumps to the flats which allowed out corners and safeties to pretty much know where the play was going. The worst thing with this QB is he did not seem to have the ability to go very deep. Having said that the Pride will upset a team or two this year before it is over. They just got hit by a freight train today.

Bull Fan
September 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Pretty much. Though the Hofstra QB was pretty good.

Kid, you drunk? He was horrendous. There's a full-on mutiny from the Dutch faithful for a QB switch. 99% of us view him as the 3rd best QB on the team. Christopher is a senior, and he is what he is. A kid who makes poor decisions, and is slow to act on them. He's not bad against sub-par defenses who allow him to make short passes. That your defense got soft (!!!!) and let up some of his passes through does not make him pretty good.

I'm by no means taking ANYTHING away from Richmond, just countering your remark about our QB situation.

Bull Fan
September 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Our D line dominated and took them out of their gameplan. They had to start going with quick dumps to the flats which allowed out corners and safeties to pretty much know where the play was going. The worst thing with this QB is he did not seem to have the ability to go very deep. Having said that the Pride will upset a team or two this year before it is over. They just got hit by a freight train today.

We'd like to think we can sneak up on someone, but the offense will be hindered by our OC and the execution by Cory Christopher. We somehow or another tried to turn into an option offense today, which does not fit with our players. The OC should be fired and the head coach would be outta here if it were up to the fans. His fourth year, and we have yet to be impressed with ANYTHING.

Your defense is good, but sorry, Hofstra didn't have a plan. xsmhx Christopher lacks the ability to hit his receivers deep, he's not accurate going downfield.

Eight Legger
September 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I can't say that I was too impressed with much of anything that Hofstra did offensively (or defensively, for that matter). I don't know if it was just us playing lights out, or if Hofstra just isn't able to move the ball normally. The QB is a load to bring down, but he didn't really seem to have much in the way of an arm. Best of luck the rest of the way...knock a few teams off for us!

ngineer
September 19th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Hofstra....Patriot League here we come....xrolleyesx

ur2k
September 19th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Richmond dominated. Phil Steele's prediction of a #7 ranking by Hofstra was a little generous. Not much else to say, the champs took care of business.

Nice to see TD's by a bunch of guys who hadn't scored before.

Uncle Buck
September 20th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I take nothing away from Richmond, but what the hell do you expect from us when our QB puts the ball on the floor 3 times in the second quarter and continues to make poor decisions throwing. Hell, every one of the fumbles was him just not protecting the ball. The first one he dropped trying to run the option. The option being run by a 250 pound QB, the OC needs to get a grip. A bad QB and an OC who can't call a game to his team's strengths and you have a recipe for disaster.

Defense was put in bad spots all day, you can't blame them for getting steamrolled. I posted it elsewhere, this HU team has plenty of talent, they just need to get the best QB on the field (something i have been crying about since week 1) and fire the head coach who can't lead this team to a big win. Until they bench Cory Christopher and find a new OC who can call a game, this team will get shout in the CAA this season.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 20th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I concur with the analysis that has already been shared. It was a thorough beating. Its hard to tell if Hofstra is really bad ... or if we are really good ... or both.

I hope Hofstra makes the switch at QB ... it couldn't make thing worse, could it?

DTSpider
September 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
What's the status on Hofstra's backup QB? He took a few really big shots and looked like he may have hurt his knee pretty bad on one play.

Go...gate
September 20th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hofstra....Patriot League here we come....xrolleyesx

Gotta admit that I was surprised Hofstra lost so decisively. Then again, Fordham should never have lost to Columbia.

colorless raider
September 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Gotta admit that I was surprised Hofstra lost so decisively. Then again, Fordham should never have lost to Columbia.

Why should Fordham never have lost? Have you seen Columbia? I have ,and they are much improved.

Go...gate
September 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Colorless, I have seen a lot of Columbia over more than half a century, and most times when they are supposed to be even marginal, they struggle. I have not seen them live this season, and if they are better that's fine, but I will believe it when I see it - perhaps October 3 at Princeton.

Uncle Buck
September 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM
What's the status on Hofstra's backup QB? He took a few really big shots and looked like he may have hurt his knee pretty bad on one play.

That's not really the backup QB. The kid we started against you last year (Steve Probst 21 of 33 for 211 and 1 TD) was a true freshman and came in when #5 was injured for the year against Maine. He is much more athletic and more accurate than #5 and should be the starter. Not sure what the coaches saw in camp with Cory Christopher (#5), i think they went with him as the 5th year senior. The backup you saw (#7), he is a redshirt freshman that they are giving playing time in certain packages. We (the Hofstra fans) believe that they are trying to use this year to redshirt Probst, but to me, it makes not sense to keep your best QB on the sideline.

UR is good no doubt, but 4 turnovers (3 by the QB) was a result of being sloppy and not protecting the ball. It's not like the kid was blindsided and fumbled, he saw it coming, he just ***** the bed and did what he did all last season, choked. Either way, it was an a$$ whipping and to be honest, if #5 continues to start, i am not going to another game and will scrap the rest of my 4 season tickets that i bought. A waste of money to watch a talentless head coach and an equally if not more inept offensive coordinator drag this program further down.

Bull Fan
September 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM
The scene is getting dire. I can't remember such reaction from us, even towards the end of the Gardi era. There is a general outrage among the faithful calling for the ouster of the HC after this season, his fourth year in charge.

I've had a day for it to sink in, and it's as bad a feeling as it was yesterday. No way in hell should a CAA conference game result in a 47-0 whitewashing. This isn't knee-jerk, this is the culmination of a mediocre to poor regime under Cohen. One conference game into the season, and nobody is confident the ship can be righted. The choice for the starting QB (as mentioned there are two younger QBs very much worthy of the starting role) and the historically bad offensive play calling is the icing on the cake.

One long-time, die-hard fan has promised not to come back to the stadium until Cohen has been let go, and now Uncle Buck's remarks. Yes, it's that bad for the DUTCH NATION right now :(

JMUNJ08
September 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I really feel for you guys. JMU still can't make a decision on who should play QB but its not based on poor performance. See you in 2 weeks!

Fordham
September 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM

I agree with colorless. They're a different Columbia team. Their offense is definitely for real. If they improve on D, they could compete this year. If not, they'll likely be middle of the pack. They're offense, though, is top tier.

andy7171
September 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Someone please take UB's belts and shoelaces away for the next 4 days!

Bull Fan
September 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Too late, Andy. He already severed his incoming cable connection with his landscaping implements. He said it was an accident, but I think it was a subconscious plot to avoid next weekend's WMU audio / video feed...

andy7171
September 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Too late, Andy. He already severed his incoming cable connection with his landscaping implements. He said it was an accident, but I think it was a subconscious plot to avoid next weekend's WMU audio / video feed...

xrotatehx

I saw a S load of former Towson players and 3-4 totally remmebered UB after I described him as he did, "the white Jerry Ball". Can't wait for the series to resume in '10! You better be there too BF!xthumbsupx

Bull Fan
September 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I should be there. I'm part of his handling team. ;)

andy7171
September 20th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I should be there. I'm part of his handling team. ;)

I've (sniff, sniff) heard! :p