PDA

View Full Version : Portland State @ Montana

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Kickoff scheduled for 1 pm MDT, noon in Portland. Both teams open their conference slate in Missoula. Only five players are left on the Viking team that played in Missoula two years ago, including Hubel who will start at QB. Last time Portland State won in Missoula was 1985. Woods is scheduled to start as well for the Vikings, after suffering a slight ankle sprain in a freak accident on Tuesday during practice. Weather should be good to start with an increasing chance of showers as the game goes on, and temps near 80.

Game will be broadcast on TV on Comcast-Portland and on 800 KPDQ in the Portland area. I believe it is also on TV in Missoula, too.

GOKATS
September 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
UM and MSU games are televised statewide.

gbhmt
September 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
What the hell, bigskytv is showing some show on the CW

unigriff
September 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM
TOUCHDOWN PSU!!!! :) 12 plays 75 yards. 3 yard Rushing TD by Mr. B. 7-0 9 min left 1st

Don't know what happened, but UM had to kickoff from their own 15 to start the game. Personal Foul - Incorrect numbered personnell?

unigriff
September 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
UM goes 3 and out on the their opening drive. PSU ball after the punt.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Ruh Roh Griz!

PSU 14
UM 0

GOKATS
September 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Absolutely BS PF call on the Vikings.

unigriff
September 19th, 2009, 02:43 PM
55 yd TD pass by Roper after a unsportsmanlike penalty on the Vikes makes it 14-7 PSU under 2 left in 1st

unigriff
September 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Why is PSU going away from the run. UM couldn't stop it early on.

DuckDuckGriz
September 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
PSU 14
UM 14

Torgo
September 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
And the Griz take the lead on a Bo Donaldson 1 yard run. Nice catch and run by Sambrano, but man...you gotta get in the endzone with that much space in front of you.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Montana really hunkered down, and PSU just came apart. PSU punting again.

UM 21
PSU 14

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Absolutely BS PF call on the Vikings.

Early on, it seems these officials cannot handle the emotion on both sides. So far, too many PF penalties on both teams, that to me looked like just plain football.

NC Aggie
September 19th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Horrible PI call against PSU. Couldn't have caught it with a 10 foot ladder.

Torgo
September 19th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Horrible PI call against PSU. Couldn't have caught it with a 10 foot ladder.

It was a personal foul for the hit on an uncatchable ball.

Ticky-tack, as most personal foul calls are in this conference, but that one made more sense than most that have been called in this game.

I Bleed Purple
September 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM
EWU O-Line can NOT run block. Solid pass blockers, though.

Torgo
September 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Selle to Pfahler, 28-14 Griz. Nice toss from Selle, for once.

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
It was a personal foul for the hit on an uncatchable ball.

Ticky-tack, as most personal foul calls are in this conference, but that one made more sense than most that have been called in this game.

Typical Montana officiating crew. Ref an eight man game last night in Alberton, come and ref the Griz game today.

Torgo
September 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Big Sky officiating in general is a joke. The reffing at the high school level in suburban Pittsburgh was a lot more on the level than any game I've seen in this conference. Offsides are never called, personal fouls are called way too closely (half of them seem to be completely phantom), pass interference seems to just be a random call...

gbhmt
September 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
So many personal fouls...

gbhmt
September 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Selle to Pfahler, 28-14 Griz. Nice toss from Selle, for once.

Selle has been playing well. Don't know what you're complaining about.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM
PSU robbed of a 1st down reception, Schillinger forced him out of bounds, but they called an incompletion.

Torgo
September 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Today, yes. That Western State game really put a foul taste in my mouth with Selle. I couldn't see the Cal Davis game out here in northern Europe so...alright, maybe too harsh for one game after a good season in spot time last year :p

aggiemba
September 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Maybe the refs are calling spurious personal fouls to keep all the thugs on Montana's team in line?

-I love the Kaimin

NC Aggie
September 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM

generally playing well and running well, but floats the ball.....not much zing on the ball when needed.

gbhmt
September 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
The line hasn't opened a single hole for Chase all game.

gbhmt
September 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Terrible call, that was a TD.

Torgo
September 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Mariani robbed of a TD by the refs there. Hell of a catch that goes as a non-catch.

Torgo
September 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM
35-17 on a Chase Reynolds TD run.

gbhmt
September 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Kemp is running extremely effectively, I'm glad Hauck's putting him in the game.

gbhmt
September 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Our secondary is outstanding in man coverage, I don't know why we ever play zone.

Torgo
September 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Mariani in the open field is just unfair. 42-17.

uofmman1122
September 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Finally looked like we deserve that #4 ranking today.

Selle played outstanding compared to the last two games, and the whole team found its rhythm.

Mariani is a beast. Like Torgo said, any opening for him is just unfair.

Ronbo
September 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM
49-17 final. Outscored PSU 49-3 with lot's of reserves playing throughout. Oregon State could only score 34 on PSU.

aggiemba
September 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM
49-17 final. Outscored PSU 49-3 with lot's of reserves playing throughout. Oregon State could only score 34 on PSU.

That is true, but I wonder how many heads of unconcious students their cornerbacks could stomp on? Or how many scandals their coach is willing to cover-up for?

Tailbone
September 19th, 2009, 06:07 PM
That is true, but I wonder how many heads of unconcious students their cornerbacks could stomp on? Or how many scandals their coach is willing to cover-up for?

Griz envy......it's an ugly, ugly thing.

Ronbo
September 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Who does UC Davis lose to today? xlolx

Green Laser
September 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Who does UC Davis lose to today? xlolx

Bye 51
uc dungpile 0 !!!!!!!!!

Silenoz
September 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Only thing I have to add is how pissed I am the refs robbed Mariani of that touchdown. That catch was a thing of beauty, and the fact that his ENTIRE BODY landed in bounds but he was still called out just boggles the mind

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Only thing I have to add is how pissed I am the refs robbed Mariani of that touchdown. That catch was a thing of beauty, and the fact that his ENTIRE BODY landed in bounds but he was still called out just boggles the mind

Refs were not in the game at all today. Bad calls both sides of the ball. I haven't done much complaining all year, but so many personal fouls had me scratching my head. These refs did not understand the emotion both teams were playing with, and went out of their way to try to squelch it.

mtgrizfan4life
September 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I do not see how they blew the Mariani TD. That play was easier to call than Boise States TD against Fresno State, pass in the same corner, same kind of catch, but Mariani had a whole leg in the endzone along with dragging a 2nd foot. Wake up BSC officials, that was a bad bad call.

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I do not see how they blew the Mariani TD. That play was easier to call than Boise States TD against Fresno State, pass in the same corner, same kind of catch, but Mariani had a whole leg in the endzone along with dragging a 2nd foot. Wake up BSC officials, that was a bad bad call.

Gotta like fans who want to make a big deal about a call that had no bearing on the outcome of the game. The game really hinged on the bogus personal foul penalty on 4 and 1 that handed the Griz a first down. Next play Mariani scored. Even the Montana announcers were curious about the personal foul call.

mtgrizfan4life
September 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
The officials were very bad today on both sides. It looked to me the hit on Roper, which put him out of the game was a late hit on the sideline too. As for Mariani's td, that was ruled otherwise, I hate seeing a score taken away from any player for any team when they make a great play like he did.

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
The officials were very bad today on both sides. It looked to me the hit on Roper, which put him out of the game was a late hit on the sideline too. As for Mariani's td, that was ruled otherwise, I hate seeing a score taken away from any player for any team when they make a great play like he did.

Roper was still in, replays confirmed he was trying to tiptoe on the sideline to get the first down when Brown hit him. I don't know if that was the personal foul they called or something else. TV announcers thought it was a great hit and no penalty.

Then Mariani makes the great catch on the next play. Momentum did a 180 on those two plays.

Green26
September 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
While I don't think a penalty should have been called (and it was not called, altho it could have been called), Roper was not inside the sideline and he was not tight-ropping. Roper was running hard for the first down. It was a hard hit. The hit was slightly out of bounds, but I don't think a penalty should have been called because Roper was running hard, put his head down, the defender was coming hard to stop the first down, and Roper got hit.

The penalty was for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play--on Brown. I assume he was dancing around, talking and perhaps taunting. This went on for too long after the play--at least according to the refs. UM later got a similar penalty, after a great hit by the UM d-back.

To quote Jalmond" "Gotta like fans who want to make a big deal about a call that had no bearing on the outcome of the game"--because the score was 17-49.

elkmcc
September 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
While I don't think a penalty should have been called (and it was not called, altho it could have been called), Roper was not inside the sideline and he was not tight-ropping. Roper was running hard for the first down. It was a hard hit. The hit was slightly out of bounds, but I don't think a penalty should have been called because Roper was running hard, put his head down, the defender was coming hard to stop the first down, and Roper got hit.

The penalty was for unsportsmanlike conduct after the play--on Brown. I assume he was dancing around, talking and perhaps taunting. This went on for too long after the play--at least according to the refs. UM later got a similar penalty, after a great hit by the UM d-back.

To quote Jalmond" "Gotta like fans who want to make a big deal about a call that had no bearing on the outcome of the game"--because the score was 17-49.

touché

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM

At that point PSU was ahead 14-0 and the Griz were going nowhere. They get the first down and the next play Mariani makes the great catch and the great run. No penalty on that, Griz punt and it is a whole different ball game. Much different situation than Mariani's late TD that was called back.

These referees were pretty quick on these personal foul penalties, on both PSU and UM. Its called college football and if you can't handle the quickness and emotions from both teams, you should not be officiating DI football.

Green26
September 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM
It was early in the game. That penalty had zero outcome on the game. If you think the call turned around the game, then you don't understand the game. I truly hope you don't think one penalty resulted in the Griz outscoring PSU 49-3 after the call.

Just take your medicine. You made a silly comment when a Griz poster correctly pointed out that the ref blew the call on a clear TD pass. Mariani actually tapped a foot immediately after the catch (his foot was probably 8 feet in bounds), got his second foot down, and had half of his body down before his momentum carried him out of bounds. The ref appeared to be in position to make the call, and completely blew. One of the worst calls I've ever seen.

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM
It was early in the game. That penalty had zero outcome on the game. If you think the call turned around the game, then you don't understand the game. I truly hope you don't think one penalty resulted in the Griz outscoring PSU 49-3 after the call.

Just take your medicine. You made a silly comment when a Griz poster correctly pointed out that the ref blew the call on a clear TD pass. Mariani actually tapped a foot immediately after the catch (his foot was probably 8 feet in bounds), got his second foot down, and had half of his body down before his momentum carried him out of bounds. The ref appeared to be in position to make the call, and completely blew. One of the worst calls I've ever seen.

Read the rest. I also said momentum turned 180 degrees between that call and Mariani's GREAT catch and GREAT run on the next play. Don't know what else you want here. Just take the win, you deserve it.

Those two plays woke the Griz up and turned the game around. Even your TV announcers felt the same. Take off the Griz colors and look at it objectively.

What a bunch of sore winners.xconfusedx

uofmman1122
September 19th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Even from an objective viewpoint, that was easily the worst call in the whole game.

Personal foul calls are up to the ref's discretion. Whether he thinks it was a personal foul or not, it's his decision to make.

Touchdowns, on the other hand, should not be up to the ref's discretion. He is either in or out. And Mariani was CLEARLY in.

The only problem I have about the call is how insane it was.

It's great we scored on the possession, but refs shouldn't be able to get away with terrible calls like that, no matter when, or who it's against.

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Even from an objective viewpoint, that was easily the worst call in the whole game.

Personal foul calls are up to the ref's discretion. Whether he thinks it was a personal foul or not, it's his decision to make.

Touchdowns, on the other hand, should not be up to the ref's discretion. He is either in or out. And Mariani was CLEARLY in.

The only problem I have about the call is how insane it was.

It's great we scored on the possession, but refs shouldn't be able to get away with terrible calls like that, no matter when, or who it's against.

Bad calls both sides. I find it interesting that Portland State had no personal fouls the first two games and the Griz had one I think. So, then how could two of the more disciplined teams come together and play such an undisciplined game? It's called football, refs and there is hitting in football.

uofmman1122
September 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Bad calls both sides. I find it interesting that Portland State had no personal fouls the first two games and the Griz had one I think. So, then how could two of the more disciplined teams come together and play such an undisciplined game? It's called football, refs and there is hitting in football.Agreed, except for the PF call when Johnson was excessively high-fiving the other DB. That was a little uncalled for, though I've seen worse.

I liked a quote some guy made after Johnson got called for the facemask on egriz:

"Johnson got his hand caught in the guy's facemask trying to flash a gang sign." xlolx

JALMOND
September 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Anyway, still a great first quarter if you are a Viking fan, and a great final three quarters if you are a Griz fan. Watching it on TV made me wish that I was there. To quote Denny Green (I think I did the same last year), "They are who we thought they were." Some good plays, especially on the first two drives, and some things to work on (personal fouls, phantom or not, still need to be dealt with). Injury to Punzal, our starting left guard, was a blow, hopefully not serious but it did not look too good when it happened. Getting game experience, especially for our youngsters in a place like Wash-Griz is valuable and hopefully will pay dividends toward the end of the year. We have Weber State next week so no time to catch our breath. Good win Griz fans. You showed you are for real.

Green26
September 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
The call against PSU on the sidelines and on Johnson were unsportsmanlike conduct. They were not personal fouls. Sometimes those calls have something to do with what the player may have said.

UM has had a number of personal fouls this season.

PSU had a late hit call on a Griz receiver over the middle. It was clearly a late hit, the defender went at the receiver full speed, the ball was well over and beyond the receiver. Despite the hit being late, I would have been fine with a penalty or no penalty.

Poker Alan
September 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I was at the game, the PF call on the 4th down in the 1st quarter was definitely helpful regarding momentum. However, we certainly would have still ended up winning that game, would have just taken longer. Congrats to the two local Missoula boys for scoring touchdowns, as well. Another record crowd and a sunny (downright hot) day in the north endzone. All in all, after the first 10 minutes, an enjoyable day.