PDA

View Full Version : Cup half empty or full for Tampa Bay's Josh Johnson (San Diego)

Foosball
September 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I've been following the TB news for Josh Johnson. There is a great chance he'll play soon. What's interesting is his coach (obviously no Matt Foley the motivational speaker) apparently dissing him to the reporters...

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/sep/16/161439/sp-johnson-will-do-as-the-new-no-2/sports-bucs/

TAMPA - Bucs third-string quarterback Josh Johnson received the biggest surprise of his NFL career when Coach Raheem Morris made him a backup before last week's game.

He received a second surprise when Morris later proclaimed that Johnson would spend his entire career in that position.

The unpredictable career of Johnson might finally have some stability heading into this week's game at Buffalo. It just might not be what Johnson desires.

Johnson, 23, is officially listed as Tampa Bay's third-string quarterback, but he will be the Bucs' second-stringer on Sundays until Josh Freeman develops. If Morris has his way, Johnson will never compete for a starting job, but will become a career backup quarterback in Tampa Bay.

"I've talked about him being my Jason Garrett, that career backup," Morris said after Sunday's game. "You might as well force him into his role right now. We've talked about Freeman being the franchise around here. That's going to happen in time. That will happen when it happens.

"You talk about preparing a guy you think can be your career backup, you think he can be long-term backup, you hope you can sign him in free agency when that stuff comes up. You want to put him in his role right now."

Garrett spent 12 years in the NFL. He was Dallas' backup from 1993-99, spent three years with the New York Giants and a year each with Tampa Bay and Miami.

When Garrett's career ended after the 2004 season, he had only nine career starts and had appeared in 40 games.

When Johnson, Tampa Bay's fifth-round pick in 2008, was asked about Morris' desire for him to be a career backup, he exploded into laughter, mostly because it was the first time he heard it. Once Johnson realized the reporter's question was serious, he took the high road.

"I have no reaction to it. I don't know," Johnson said. "I really can't speak for the future. I can only worry about right now, and as of right now, I am the backup to Byron (Leftwich) and helping Josh, who is being groomed to do what he's going to do in the future. I don't even worry about it.

"If Coach says that, that's fine. We'll see what happens down the road, but as of right now, I am a backup for this team and that's my job."

Johnson might be fortunate to have a job this year.

He entered training camp as Tampa Bay's fourth-string quarterback and appeared to be the odd man out. Leftwich and Luke McCown were battling for the starting position and Freeman, this year's first-round draft pick, was a lock to make the team.

Johnson's fortunes took a positive turn when McCown was traded to Jacksonville.

"In this position, you never really know what is going to happen," Johnson said. "One thing all our coaches preach to you is staying ready and prepare like you're going to be the guy. That's what me and Freeman do.

"We both prepare like we're the guy. You never know what might happen."

What Morris does not foresee happening is Johnson competing for a starting position, which is another surprise in his unpredictable career.

"He prepares as our No. 2 quarterback, but we put Josh Johnson in his role that we want him to be in right now," Morris said. "That's where his value is. That's what he means to us. That's what he's got to be for us.

"That is what he is going to be for the next 10 years, hopefully, if I can get him re-signed. We'll all be happy with that."