PDA

View Full Version : NFL Blackout/Sunday Ticket Question

bluehenbillk
September 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Forgive my ignornance on the subject but it's been more than 2 decades since an Eagles game was even close to a blackout.

There are supposedly a half-dozen to a dozen teams looking at blackouts this year. My question is if you live in a teams' local area, say Jacksonville, and the game is blacked out on local TV, am I correct that the Sunday Ticket blacks it out as well in the Jacksonville area?

93henfan
September 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=900046

Blackout Rules for Local Team Home Games
A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

Ouch. Glad we don't have that problem here in the Del Val.

OhioHen
September 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I hope the local team gets blacked out. Improves the available television games!

biggie
September 10th, 2009, 01:15 PM
If they start blacking out all these games on the Sunday ticket I will be pissed to say the least. Can understand if I can't watch a Panthers game due to Blackout, but any other team I should be able to watch.

In 8+ years of NFL Sunday ticket I've yet to see a blackout on any team that I can remember though.

93henfan
September 10th, 2009, 01:16 PM
If they start blacking out all these games on the Sunday ticket I will be pissed to say the least. Can understand if I can't watch a Panthers game due to Blackout, but any other team I should be able to watch.

You will still be able to watch all games outside the local market you live in even if they are blacked out in their local market.

The blackout policy in the local market is an attempt to get local fans to buy tickets to the game.

biggie
September 10th, 2009, 01:20 PM
You will still be able to watch all games outside the local market you live in even if they are blacked out in their local market.

The blackout policy in the local market is an attempt to get local fans to buy tickets to the game.
That's what I was thinking, but the quote from DTV almost sounded like they were going to blackout any feed that was blacked out locally.

bluehenbillk
September 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM
That's what I was thinking, but the quote from DTV almost sounded like they were going to blackout any feed that was blacked out locally.

Meaning that if the game is blacked out on your local TV, say the Panthers if you get them locally, then it's also blacked out IN YOUR AREA for the Sunday Ticket. If you lived in Kansas or another geographical area though you'd get the Panthers game on even though it was blacked out in the greater Charlotte area.

ISUMatt
September 10th, 2009, 01:54 PM
If the game is on your TV its blacked out on DTV...If your local FOX station is showing it, DTV will black it out...so yes if the Eagles are on your FOX and your FOX blacks it out, it was already going to be blacked out on DTV anyway

ISUMatt
September 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/index.html

ISUMatt
September 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM
NEW YORK -- NFL fans whose local teams' games are blacked out will be able to watch replays online for free -- though not until after midnight.

The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season. The league announced Thursday that home fans will be able to view the delayed broadcasts on NFL.com for 72 hours, except during "Monday Night Football."

A game is not aired in the home market if it does not sell out 72 hours in advance.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the league understands the economy is limiting some fans from buying as many tickets as they had in the past

89Hen
September 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM
M&M were talking to Goodell about this earlier in the week. The NFL is not baking down on this issue. Would be awful to not see your local team on TV. :(

onbison09
September 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
NEW YORK -- NFL fans whose local teams' games are blacked out will be able to watch replays online for free -- though not until after midnight.

The recession has left several teams in danger of having games blacked out this season. The league announced Thursday that home fans will be able to view the delayed broadcasts on NFL.com for 72 hours, except during "Monday Night Football."

A game is not aired in the home market if it does not sell out 72 hours in advance.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the league understands the economy is limiting some fans from buying as many tickets as they had in the past
Then don't black it out. I'm sure you'll do fine this year without a blackout.

biggie
September 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Or lower the damn expensive ticket prices.

Hood
September 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Or lower the damn expensive ticket prices.

Well people complain about the salaries of athletes and then buy tickets to the games. I tell them that they're paying for these ridiculous salaries.

Maybe this way those that complain about the salaries, will not buy the expensive tickets, and as a whole order will be restored to the world.

I wish, like you said, that they would lower the ticket prices too. But our more affluent sports fan brothers and sisters helped drive them up.

andy7171
September 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Sunday ticket blacks out the local game to begin with, early on this was not the case. So if for some reason the Ravens game was blacked out and I couldn't watch it on 13, I wouldn't have it on Sunday Ticket either.

tribe_pride
September 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Since today is Friday. Anyone know who , if anyone, is getting blacked out this weekend?

NHwildEcat
September 11th, 2009, 12:27 PM
M&M were talking to Goodell about this earlier in the week. The NFL is not baking down on this issue. Would be awful to not see your local team on TV. :(

Unless you live in New England...I would love to see them blacked out :D

Dukie95
September 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/index.html

I get that they want to protect the local team by not offering an option on the other network when the local team is playing. But I'm in DC and don't want to watch the Ravens. Let me have a FOX game, please....don't make me watch ShamWOW ads and Coach reruns for 3 hours.

Baltimore IS NOT Washington