PDA

View Full Version : Scrabble, That's a Sport!

TexasTerror
May 2nd, 2005, 04:33 PM
A new low. Scrabble is showing on ESPN2. There are fans in the "stadium room" watching this and there is a big board that is showing their moves on a bigger board so the fans can see it. There's a play by play and color commentator as well...

They keep talking about shutting down lanes. Ridiculous! Oh no, just a handful of tiles are left in the bag, David is being careful with how he plays! And what's even funnier, there's a guy with a dictionary sitting right next to the board checking all the things they are doing.

Oh wait, there's the big "play of the game"...I got to get back to watching this critical game!

polsongrizz
May 2nd, 2005, 05:36 PM
I just saw that, talk about insane. but yet no time for IAA football.. :eek: :bang: :bang: :bang: :o :( :(

grizchik
May 2nd, 2005, 06:32 PM
That is insane!!! I'll bet if it was naked scrabble there would be more interest. :eek:

TexasTerror
May 2nd, 2005, 07:54 PM
As one player said, "It's a great balance of offense and defense. I like the big scores also. But I like to think defensively too, give my opponent fewer things to do. And that's a big part of the game. It's a balance of offense and defense."

Maybe some football coaches can watch this and gain some perspective about "offense" and "defense".

ngineer
May 2nd, 2005, 07:59 PM
Oh my, don't tell me...my wife is a champion scrabble player--kicks my butt all the time--I think I've beaten her 3-4 times in 25 years, and then only when there are multiple players. It's a great game, but it's not a sport.

Hammerhead
May 2nd, 2005, 10:21 PM
It probably draws higher ratings than NHL hockey did. :)

Maybe someday they will show people playing Madden 2005 on ESPN Jr.

eaglefan452
May 3rd, 2005, 07:05 AM
No different than showing poker, bowling, or the spelling bee on ESPN, what a waste of good programming time in my opinion.

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2005, 07:23 AM
No different than showing poker, bowling, or the spelling bee on ESPN, what a waste of good programming time in my opinion.

And worst off all is that the ESPN network is growing with more and more channels yearly it seems. They are going to have fill time one way or another, especially when a sport like hockey is a no go.

Fordham
May 3rd, 2005, 07:26 AM
agreed on it not being a sport, but i think this interest in showing it comes from a recent Discovery Channel documentary that followed a few of these pro Scrabble players around to tournaments. It made for pretty gripping tv; however, that was only for two reasons - one good one was that the memories on these guys is almost ... what's the word I'm looking for? ... oh, yeah - inconceivable ... and one bad one since it's kinda like watching a car accident since these guys have, for the most part, such ridiculously poor social skills.

mlbowl
May 3rd, 2005, 07:44 AM

Are you freakin kidding me...........you're going to lump bowling in with spelling and scrabble :asswhip:

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2005, 08:54 AM
Are you freakin kidding me...........you're going to lump bowling in with spelling and scrabble :asswhip:

Most definitely! We got some SWAC fans who would take offense since they are the only conference that backs bowling, I believe. And we've seen what happens when you rile them up, they drop the race card. :eek:

mlbowl
May 3rd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Most definitely! We got some SWAC fans who would take offense since they are the only conference that backs bowling, I believe. And we've seen what happens when you rile them up, they drop the race card. :eek:

When was the last time the Olympic Committee looked at adding poker, scrabble or spelling as an Olympic sport (1988 marked the debut of bowling as an Olympic exhibition sport, when the Summer Games were held in Seoul, Korea. 20 nations competed in bowling's first Olympic finals.)? Bowling requires as much, if not more, technique, flexibility, and strength as lets say golf......I don't hear anybody badmouthing golf :bang:

putter
May 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
It may not be on a sport and should not be on ESPN but the winner got $50k. Best reason to study the dictionary if you ask me.

89Hen
May 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
Bowling requires as much, if not more, technique, flexibility, and strength as lets say golf......I don't hear anybody badmouthing golf :bang:
Hey now! When was the last time you had a bad lie while bowling into the wind over water? :D

polsongrizz
May 3rd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Hey now! When was the last time you had a bad lie while bowling into the wind over water? :D
Which brings me to the thought... When the hell are courses going to add bumper rails to help my handicap out? :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D ;) ;)
http://www.dragonbowling.com/images/Otros/CHICOS2.jpg

Grizo406
May 3rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
I think pols would do real well with this if they had a "Four Letter and Hyphenated Word" version of Scrabble.

It might not be compelling TV, but it would be amusing. :D

greenG
May 3rd, 2005, 11:46 AM

Actually, there are seven collegiate bowling conferences, including the SWAC.

http://www.bowl.com/downloads/pdf/cbusa_CONFBREAKDOWN.pdf

mlbowl
May 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM

You won't hear me badmouth golf cuz I love the game ;) but I recall a few years ago ESPN aired an outdoor PBA final

slides (http://www.nyc.gov/html/sports/html/pbaslide.html)

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2005, 01:46 PM
Actually, there are seven collegiate bowling conferences, including the SWAC.

http://www.bowl.com/downloads/pdf/cbusa_CONFBREAKDOWN.pdf

That posting is misleading. Only two of those are NCAA-backed conferences, MEAC and SWAC. Sam Houston State is listed in a conference, but that's the club team, so I am assuming knowing many of those schools on there that are NCAA Division I schools, that those are club teams. Only two of those conferences list NCAA under them and I'm know other schools participate in NCAA bowling, but it's a very limited group.

So, you checked the facts, but not entirely correct for the angle we were looking for.