PDA

View Full Version : MEAC-SWAC Challenge: Great game, wrong time

thederisoreport
August 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM
08-30-2009 02:10 PM

No offense.I think the MEAC-SWAC Challenge – pitting top participants from the only two Division I black college conferences — is a great idea.Just at the wrong time.When Grambling and South Carolina State face each other on Sunday, there will be national television exposure from ESPN2, a terrific setting in Orlando, and what looks to [...]http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheDerisoReport/~4/G9AU8t3k4Oo

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheDerisoReport/~3/G9AU8t3k4Oo/)

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Nick,

Seriously..? You got to pull this dead horse out of the closet? I understand the timing...

The MEAC has no problem sending them their #2 or #3 team to a postseason SWAC vs MEAC contest because like most any other league sans the SWAC and Ivy, they want to play for the NCAA championship.

And this game would still not crown an HBCU champion. Haven't the last few years crowned a sub-Div I as champion? By playing MEAC-SWAC, if such a game was created, would be like a BCS National Championship game. You are probably leaving a good team on the sideline (i.e. Tuskegee), leaving the title as it stands today - MYTHICAL.

Here's to the MEAC staying in the playoffs and the SWAC continuing to play their in-house championship game...

JohnStOnge
August 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM
The MEAC has no problem sending them their #2 or #3 team to a postseason SWAC vs MEAC contest because like most any other league sans the SWAC and Ivy, they want to play for the NCAA championship. ...

Yes. In this very board area there's a thread about how South Carolina State is focused on trying to win some playoff games instead of just getting to the FCS tournament.

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Yes. In this very board area there's a thread about how South Carolina State is focused on trying to win some playoff games instead of just getting to the FCS tournament.

I really think the SWAC schools are fueling this fire. They want to add more revenue to their pot and want to get the NCAA to allow the Heritage Bowl (or some form) in addition to their SWAC title game.

While the MEAC is saying they'll listen, at the end of the day - the MEAC would shoot themselves in the foot if they pulled out of the playoffs.