PDA

View Full Version : Albany to open at Cincinnati in 2011?

DetroitFlyer
August 27th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Word on the street is that Albany is going to open the 2011 season at Cincinnati. Is this true? If so, it does not seem as though Albany would be a "counter" by that time frame. How in the world did Albany convince Cincinnati that this game is a good idea?

If true, I'm impressed!

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 07:27 AM
This sounds like a bad move...

Outside of the schools that have played two FCS opponents in a season, would this be the second time in the last few years that a non-counter played up? Nevermind - we also have Georgia State going to Alabama (or was it Auburn)?

2007 -Western Michigan 51-14 CCSU

It just does not make sense, especially for a BCS conference team.

Dane96
August 27th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I am making calls right now...but that would make sense because we have some kids from the Cincy area on the roster.

That said, I wonder if that means we are ramping to 63.

UAalum72
August 27th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Colgate future schedule (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/sports/2008/12/9/sidebar_493.aspx?path=football) says Albany plays them Sept. 3, 2011. Unless there was a change, is 'word on the street' confusing the "C" universities?

Only makes sense for the FBS team if either a) they've already given up hope for going to a bowl that year and really need the win or b) they're really sure about qualifying for a bowl and don't need the win.

DetroitFlyer
August 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
http://www.wcpo.com/content/sports/bearcatfootball/story/Bearcats-To-Play-Tennessee-In-Knoxville-In-2011/hgJCHgjr70qqU2Io4b4-cw.cspx

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Seems odd to me, but there is a connection with Cincy:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_U72QTDcNpU0/SZI8be9pKOI/AAAAAAAAA5M/cPHzUlZ9dlI/s400/Dr.+Nancy+Zimpher.jpg

The former president of UC is now the SUNY Chancelor. Maybe she had some influence here?

Dane96
August 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM
HOLY CRAP--- it is listed on the Bearcat official website.......

...I pray...oh lord I pray...that the NEC has decided to go to the counter-level in aid.

If not...I hope this means Albany is moving to full-schollies elsewhere.

Otherwise...this game makes NO SENSE for a Big East team that needs X counter wins to make a bowl game.

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 09:14 AM
http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/future-schedules.html

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 09:25 AM
HOLY CRAP--- it is listed on the Bearcat official website.......

...I pray...oh lord I pray...that the NEC has decided to go to the counter-level in aid.

If not...I hope this means Albany is moving to full-schollies elsewhere.

Otherwise...this game makes NO SENSE for a Big East team that needs X counter wins to make a bowl game.

I don't know if it mathematically possible for UA to get to counter level for 2011. I think you need to be at an average of 57.5 for the prior two years. So even if they dolled out 63 next year they wouldn't average it in time for 2011.

This is all very odd to me, but its got to be official right? Why else would UC put it up on their official website?

89Hen
August 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Just throwing this out there, but is it possible they don't realize Albany is a non-counter? xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Just throwing this out there, but is it possible they don't realize Albany is a non-counter? xeyebrowx

It would not surprise me...

While Western Michigan probably realized as much when they scheduled CCSU, did we all think that the SEC school which scheduled Georgia State was not completely aware of what they were doing?

For a school like Cincy that is trying to stay in bowls consistently and build up their program, this is an AWFUL move. I hope they have in the contract that Albany must be a bowl counter (which means that Albany would have to reach counter-level next year - as it's two years) and that if they don't, Albany owes a buyout.

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Playing non-counters is becoming more commonplace these days.

FBS schools with two FCS teams on their schedules are playing a non-counter game regardless of the school's scholarships limits aren't they? Only one FCS game counts for FBS bowl eligibility.

BTW, I agree, it makes little sense for Cincy.

Do you really think an AD at a Big East team would schedule a team he knew nothing about? If so, he probably needs to be fired. xtwocentsx

Rutgers and USF both have 2 FCS schools this year.

Here's a recent article about Big East scheduling and the importance of getting a home game:
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2009/08/for_big_east_teams_buying_extr.html

Jackman
August 27th, 2009, 11:08 AM
My guess is Cinci scheduled it because Albany was willing to come play for very little money. FCS programs that count for bowl eligibility are going to command a larger paycheck. Plus, a 6-5 or 6-6 Cincinnati team is either going to get left out of the bowls or get a crappy bowl that actually loses them money to play in, so if they're on the border line it probably doesn't matter to them if a win over Albany doesn't count.

aceinthehole
August 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM
First, if true, congrats to UA fans.

I had similar thoughts when world leaked about CCSU/Western Mich. I didn't make much sense at first, but I can PROMISE you Cincy knows UA is a non-counter!

I do think its going to be a lot tougher for UA since the Bearcats are a BCS team. But I know you trust Coach Ford, and he wouldn't agree if it wasn't good for UA.

Coach Mac at CCSU has gone on record saying we are looking to play FBS teams, and word was Akron (and other MAC teams) might be on a future schedule for the Blue Devils. We need the $$$, and if a deal can be made we are going to do it.

As you guys get more info, please share what you can, but as far as I know UA couln't get to be a counter in time anyway, because its a 3-year average. I do think this is good for Albany and the NEC!

aceinthehole
August 27th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Playing non-counters is becoming more commonplace these days.

FBS schools with two FCS teams on their schedules are playing a non-counter game regardless of the school's scholarships limits aren't they? Only one FCS game counts for FBS bowl eligibility.
BTW, I agree, it makes little sense for Cincy.

Do you really think an AD at a Big East team would schedule a team he knew nothing about? If so, he probably needs to be fired. xtwocentsx

Rutgers and USF both have 2 FCS schools this year.
Here's a recent article about Big East scheduling and the importance of getting a home game:
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2009/08/for_big_east_teams_buying_extr.html

Trust me, both ADs know the details of playing this game. It comes down to $$$ and trust me Cincy knows what it is doing.

IMO - this is one reason, I think a team like CCSU or Albany may get some FBS games.

bandit
August 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
This is going to continue happening, especially in the Big East which struggles to find 5 OOC games yearly. The price of guarantee games is just getting incredible, and schools have to find ways to fill the schedule w/out breaking the bank.

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Game confirmed. Official press release later in the day.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=835634

Coach Ford knew nothing about the game. Nice of the AD to keep his coach informed.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Wow - coach didn't know a thing?

Is the 'buy rate' for non-full counters less than that of full counters? I'm sure it's still a significant amount of cash - but would think that another east coast team (MEAC, Big South, etc) would command more than an NEC.

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Wow - coach didn't know a thing?

Is the 'buy rate' for non-full counters less than that of full counters? I'm sure it's still a significant amount of cash - but would think that another east coast team (MEAC, Big South, etc) would command more than an NEC.

Probably less. I would think they'd still get around $300,000 for the game though.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Probably less. I would think they'd still get around $300,000 for the game though.

That's significant! If you do find out, please let us know. I'd be curious to see the difference in pay between the non-counters and counters when it comes to specific FBS schools. Does Cincy draw out well and do we know what they have paid out in the past?

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Maybe less than $300,000.

The article above says that

"Big East teams will pay an average of $318,000 for guarantee games in 2009. The least expensive deal made in 2009 was between Connecticut and Rhode Island for a mere $225,000.

This season, Rutgers will pay Howard $325,000 for their Sept. 12 game. And Texas Southern will receive $400,000 for its game on Oct. 10.

South Florida -- the other team in the Big East with two FCS games next year -- will pay Wofford $300,000 and Charleston Southern $450,000. And even that leaves the Bulls with merely six home games (at a stadium they pay rent for) to make a profit. South Florida hasn't played seven home games since 2001, but is scheduled to do so in 2010.
"If a school feels that they want to have more home games than away games in a single season, then the guarantee game is going to be necessary," Carparelli said. "That's kind of a luxury more than necessity. It's up to each school to evaluate how much they're willing to pay for it."

UC averaged 32,000 last year.

dgreco
August 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
hopefully this means good news for NEC (upping to counter) and not bad news (Albany parting ways).

Go...gate
August 27th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Colgate now has two open dates in 2011.

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Colgate now has two open dates in 2011.

I'm hoping it gets rescheduled. I really look forward to the Albany vs. Colgate/Fordham games. They've always been pretty close and its nice to play other NY FCS'ers

Go...gate
August 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm hoping it gets rescheduled. I really look forward to the Albany vs. Colgate/Fordham games. They've always been pretty close and its nice to play other NY FCS'ers

I'm sure it will. The game is a natural.

aceinthehole
August 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM
That's significant! If you do find out, please let us know. I'd be curious to see the difference in pay between the non-counters and counters when it comes to specific FBS schools. Does Cincy draw out well and do we know what they have paid out in the past?

NEC teams may get a little less than some more established FCS programs, but the main factor in payout is the home team, not the visitors. High profile BCS teams that make huge amounts of cash (Mich, Ohio State, etc.) can afford a bigger payout than MAC/MWC/WAC or smaller budget programs like Cincy.

I'm pretty sure CCSU got $225k from WMU. That same year Towson paid us $70k and that's exactly what we got from ODU to play W&M this year.

I'm not sure what Delaware or Montana pays for games, but even if its $100k, that far less than what an NEC team could get from even the lowest tier of FBS teams.

danefan
August 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
NEC teams may get a little less than some more established FCS programs, but the main factor in payout is the home team, not the visitors. High profile BCS teams that make huge amounts of cash (Mich, Ohio State, etc.) can afford a bigger payout than MAC/MWC/WAC or smaller budget programs like Cincy.

I'm pretty sure CCSU got $225k from WMU. That same year Towson paid us $70k and that's exactly what we got from ODU to play W&M this year.

I'm not sure what Delaware or Montana pays for games, but even if its $100k, that far less than what an NEC team could get from even the lowest tier of FBS teams.

The other thing of note is that Cincinnati is getting a cool $1 million to play at Tennessee the very next week, which is incredibly large for a BCS vs. BCS game. So whatever they pay Albany isn't really an out of pocket expense.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
The other thing of note is that Cincinnati is getting a cool $1 million to play at Tennessee the very next week, which is incredibly large for a BCS vs. BCS game. So whatever they pay Albany isn't really an out of pocket expense.

Danefan, $1M is the new expected amount for FBS games. The Sun Belt Commish said as much that from now on, his schools are pretty much going to cost $1M to get for a game guarantee.

aceinthehole
August 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM

WOW!!!!

Cincy is a "low-budget" BCS team, but that's still a huge payday. The Big East is odd. UConn just signed home-home deals with Michigan and Tenessee, yet Cincy is going to Tenn for a buy game? UConn also is pretty cheap, buying FCS games for less than $300k and does a lot of home/home with MAC teams.

CRAZY_DANE
August 28th, 2009, 07:40 AM
This is fantastic news.

UAlbany could use the pay day and more visibility. I heard the same naysayers when we first scheduled top FCS schools like Montana, Delaware, GSU etc. This is good for the program.

I hope it's a sign we're going full schollie in the near future.

bandit
August 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM
WOW!!!!

Cincy is a "low-budget" BCS team, but that's still a huge payday. The Big East is odd. UConn just signed home-home deals with Michigan and Tenessee, yet Cincy is going to Tenn for a buy game? UConn also is pretty cheap, buying FCS games for less than $300k and does a lot of home/home with MAC teams.

UT had an opening when Southern Miss backed out and only had 1 available spot on the schedule, so home and home - at least for now - wasn't an option for UC, but they apparently decided the game made sense from an exposure and $$$ standpoint despite the lack of a return game.

danefan
August 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Just saw Coach Ford - payout is $350,000 plus travel expenses.

As he said: "We'll be able to buy a couple new helmets. And we'll probably need to buy a new QB after that game too."

xlolx

Seawolf97
August 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
This is great news for the Great Danes and the NEC in general. Good Luck against those
BearCats!

Husky Alum
August 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM
UConn and Boston College pay less for "buy" games for a pretty easy reason. Look who they play? Local teams who probably will play for less.

NU is getting something like $275 or $300K to play - but we have the same travel costs we'd have to play at Parsons. No difference in taking $350 from Syracuse or Northwestern or Va Tech, when you can bus to the game in Chestnut Hill. Plus local schools take less from BC than other schools because of the cache' associated with playing at Alumni Stadium.

I don't know what we're getting from UConn, but our costs for that are no different than going to Hofstra or UMass.

RamRay
September 1st, 2009, 07:38 AM
A possible explanation:

As I understand it, there is some NCAA rule that any FBS team can play a FCS team so long as it is full scholly (58 or more). This is how Fordham has been able to schedule future games with UCONN and Army: by going full scholy in 2011.

Perhaps Albany is the first SUNY FCS school to start awarding full scholarships but has not made it official yet. I would be surprised given the current economic climate for SUNY to take such a step, just as Buffalo is starting to make some strides in the lower BCS.

Redwyn
September 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM
Perhaps Albany is the first SUNY FCS school to start awarding full scholarships but has not made it official yet. I would be surprised given the current economic climate for SUNY to take such a step, just as Buffalo is starting to make some strides in the lower BCS.

....Stony Brook plays South Florida next year.....

Eaglesrus
September 1st, 2009, 08:09 AM
Well, at least UAlbany will have an easier opener in 2011 than they do this year :)

Ruler
September 1st, 2009, 08:32 AM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Eaglesrus that is hysterical. Good luck Sat night.

Dane96
September 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM
A possible explanation:

As I understand it, there is some NCAA rule that any FBS team can play a FCS team so long as it is full scholly (58 or more). This is how Fordham has been able to schedule future games with UCONN and Army: by going full scholy in 2011.

Stony Brook is giving full rides...and Albany has been giving full rides (just not the full allotment).

Buffalo has been giving full-rides since the mid-late 90's.

Statement is incorrect.

UAalum72
September 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM
RamRay, FBS teams can play any FCS team they want. However, only one, full-allotment FCS team may count toward their win total needed for bowl eligibility.

RamRay
September 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
I stand corrected. I had forgotten the NEC awards scholarships. xoopsx

Should be some exciting games ahead for NY state FCS programs when many are playing at least one FBS team

Go...gate
September 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Seems to me that Fordham should be calling Syracuse and Rutgers for games. For example, RU playing Tx Southern this year - nothing against Tx Southern, but it would make a hell of a lot more sense to play the Rams.

RamRay
September 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM
I think Syracuse and Buffalo were approached and Rutgers is in the works....but I truly hope the PL goes scholy so FU can stay and we ALL can schedule such games.

BTW Go..gate, it's been a while...glad to "See" you again!

danefan
September 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
FWIW, Stony Brook is at Buffalo in 2011.

Dane96
September 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Just read a post on bigpurplefans from Danefan that he met up with Fordie this weekend in Albany (at...I might add...one of the best Ginzo deli's outside of NYC).

Seems as though Albany playing FBS teams is here to stay from a financial perspective. While we may take our lumps...if we can get 3 of these games in our pocket and net around a cool $1 million, I would take those games in a hearbeat.

That $1 Million can be used to endow at a good number of rides...and shift the money focus to other areas...like upgrading UA field...something rumored to possibly happen.

Dane96
September 1st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Well...lookie...look...we just missed each other, Counselor. ;)

In some ways...I hope SBU gets rocked by Buffalo...selfish way of course; it would really hurt Albany if SBU went into UB and beat them while we were still foogin around with 40 rides.

RamRay
September 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
Albany, Stony Brook, Fordham, Hofstra (and I am not sure of Buffalo), all were D-III programs in the 80's. There were others in NYS that didn't survive into the late 90's (St. Peter's, Sienna, St. John's, Manhattan, Iona, St. Lawrence, U-Rochester, Kings Point, etc).

Good to see the remaining NY state programs that were D-III making strides.

danefan
September 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Albany, Stony Brook, Fordham, Hofstra (and I am not sure of Buffalo), all were D-III programs in the 80's. There were others in NYS that didn't survive into the late 90's (St. Peter's, Sienna, St. John's, Manhattan, Iona, St. Lawrence, U-Rochester, Kings Point, etc).

Good to see the remaining NY state programs that were D-III making strides.

Now I just wish we could get all 4 in a conference together.

UAalum72
September 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Yes, Buffalo was D-III when they restarted their program. Albany was 7-4 vs. the Bulls from 1978-88.

And St. Lawrence is still playing D-III.

Ruler
September 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Add CCSU, Monmouth, and Northeastern or Rhode Island and we have ourselves a new full scholarship conference

aceinthehole
September 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Seems as though Albany playing FBS teams is here to stay from a financial perspective. While we may take our lumps...if we can get 3 of these games in our pocket and net around a cool $1 million, I would take those games in a hearbeat.

That is basically the same story out of New Britain - we need the $$$ and will try to schedule I-A teams regardless of the number of schollys we have. You just buck up and do the best you can.

It certainly will be harder for CCSU and UA to get these games on a regular basis becasue we are non-counters, but if won't be for a lack of trying on our part. And as mentioned before, if we are the 2nd I-AA team on a I-A schedule the non-counter status is a moot point.

bosidid
September 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Just saw Coach Ford - payout is $350,000 plus travel expenses.

As he said: "We'll be able to buy a couple new helmets. And we'll probably need to buy a new QB after that game too."

xlolx

xlolx BWHAHAHA.....

aceinthehole
September 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Looks like Monmouth is trying to get a I-A game too.

Hawks eye "big time" foe
With word last week that associate Northeast Conference member Albany will play Cincinnati in 2011, Callahan said Monmouth is working toward playing a "big time" program.

"We would love to play a BCS school," Callahan said. "We've had conversations."
Callahan wouldn't specify which schools he has spoken with.

"It's way too early in the process to talk about that right now," he said. "What it's going to come down to is whether we'll able to match up dates."

Lehigh to visit Monmouth
In future non-conference games, Callahan said Monmouth will host FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) opponents Maine and Old Dominion in 2010, and in 2011 will hostLehigh and visit Villanova. Monmouth will host Rhode Island in 2012, and Cornell in 2013.

Lehigh, ODU, URI, and Cornell will be making their first visits to Kessler Field.http://www.app.com/article/20090905/SPORTS/90905061/1002/Monmouth+Notes++George+nervous+before+first+colleg iate+start

JMG1MON
September 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hawks eye "big time" foe
With word last week that associate Northeast Conference member Albany will play Cincinnati in 2011, Callahan said Monmouth is working toward playing a "big time" program.

"We would love to play a BCS school," Callahan said. "We've had conversations."
Callahan wouldn't specify which schools he has spoken with.

"It's way too early in the process to talk about that right now," he said. "What it's going to come down to is whether we'll able to match up dates."

Lehigh to visit Monmouth
In future non-conference games, Callahan said Monmouth will host FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) opponents Maine and Old Dominion in 2010, and in 2011 will hostLehigh and visit Villanova. Monmouth will host Rhode Island in 2012, and Cornell in 2013.

Lehigh, ODU, URI, and Cornell will be making their first visits to Kessler Field.

xthumbsupx to everything said above!!!!

To Albany fans, good luck. I was just at the debacle of Rutgers against Cincy. Rutgers didn't deserve to be on the same field as them.