PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State Selected No. 1 in Preseason Coaches Poll

CSN Log
August 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM
08-24-2009 01:32 PM

Appalachian State Selected No. 1 in Preseason Coaches Poll

For the third straight year, Appalachian State has been chosen as the preseason No. 1 in the Football Championship Subdivision Coaches Poll. Despite losing to the eventual champion Richmond in the quarterfinals last season, the Mountaineers edged the Spiders for first place by five points.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/08/24/appalachian-state-selected-no-1-in-prese?blog=2#more5468)

Ronbo
August 25th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Has this been posted?

http://montanagrizzlies.com/pages/news_item.aspx?n=8175&m=18

FCS Coaches’ Top 25 Poll

School (first-place votes) ... 2008 record ... Pts. ... Final 2008 rank
1. Appalachian State (13) ... 11-3 ... 665 ... 5
2. Richmond (10) ... 13-3 ... 660 ... 1
3. Montana ... 14-2 ... 623 ... 2
4. Northern Iowa (1) ... 12-3 ... 584 ... 4
5. Villanova (1) ... 10-3 ... 569 ... 6
6. James Madison (2) ... 12-2 ... 528 ... 3
7. Southern Illinois ... 9-3 ... 468 ... 10
8. New Hampshire ... 10-3 ... 419 ... 7
9. Weber State ... 10-4 ... 405 ... 9
10. Wofford ... 9-3 ... 370 ... 11
11. Elon ... 8-4 ... 364 ... 19
12. Central Arkansas ... 10-2 ... 312 ... 12
13. Cal Poly ... 8-3 ... 282 ... 13
14. William & Mary ... 7-4 ... 239 ... 20
15. McNeese State ... 7-4 ... 237 ... 21
16. South Carolina State ... 10-3 ... 225 ... 13
17. Eastern Washington ... 6-5 ... 204 ... NR
18. Massachusetts (1) ... 7-5 ... 196 ... NR
T19. Jacksonville State ... 8-3 ... 145 ... 22
T19. Maine ... 8-5 ... 145 ... 16
21. Texas State ... 8-5 ... 137 ... 23
22. Harvard ... 9-1 ... 121 ... 14
23. South Dakota State ... 7-5 ... 101 ... NR
24. Hofstra ... 4-8 ... 78 ... NR
25. Grambling State ... 11-2 ... 77 ... 24

Others receiving votes (points in parentheses): Liberty (76), Eastern Kentucky (72), Georgia Southern (66), Holy Cross (64), Delaware (63), Florida A&M (62), Youngstown State (56), North Dakota State (56), Furman (55), UT Martin (43), Colgate (40), Northern Arizona (34), Montana State (33), Tennessee State (25), Prairie View A&M (24), Eastern Illinois (22), UC Davis (19), Jackson State (17), Hampton (17), Southern University (13) San Diego (13), Western Illinois (12), Bethune-Cookman (12), Jacksonville (11), Princeton (10), Albany (9), Northwestern State (8), Norfolk State (4), Morgan State (3), North Carolina A&T (2), South Dakota (1), Lehigh (1), Alabama A&M (1)

Dane96
August 25th, 2009, 07:48 AM
No comment.....

....yawn....well...

SID's really need to have these duties taken from them.

TexasTerror
August 25th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Also posted here... http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62599

No comment.....

....yawn....well...

SID's really need to have these duties taken from them.

Do you really think it would be different if the SIDs did not vote? And are you certain that it is the SIDs voting?

Get used to it, Dane. I know you are struggling to face it, but unfortunately, the NEC is not considered to be a major player at this level by coaches and media alike. The league has not been deep and the bottom is very weak.

Tribe4SF
August 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM
The usual light turnout with only 28 voters. Why the "coaches" poll continues to carry any status is a mystery to me (actually no mystery, but lamentable nonetheless).xthumbsdownx

Dane96
August 25th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Also posted here... http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62599

Do you really think it would be different if the SIDs did not vote? And are you certain that it is the SIDs voting?

Get used to it, Dane. I know you are struggling to face it, but unfortunately, the NEC is not considered to be a major player at this level by coaches and media alike. The league has not been deep and the bottom is very weak.

Yes...I am certain that many SID's are doing the voting. I personally know 4 SID's (one in FCS and three in FBS) that do the voting for their coaches.

I wasnt commenting on the NEC...but thanks for ASSuming that. In fact, I am of the belief that Albany is going to be down this year. And even if I were commenting on the NEC, which again I wasnt, please explain to me how San Diego (which wasnt the GIC rep and isnt as strong IMHO as last year) and Jacksonville, a team Albany smoked last year, are ranked ahead of Albany? What signature win has the PFL had?

Again, wasnt talking about the NEC.

grizzpaw
August 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM
i have no problem with this poll after it is a PRE-SEASON POLL! its look better than CSN or AGS poll at this point in the season- very little "homer" voting unlike the other polls. after last year poll, of not dropping cal-poly after a lost! because EVERYBODY knew WHO would have been given the upper seed and home games! after all montana can't win on the road is that right JMU!

andy7171
August 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM
GannonFan is not going to be happy about this one bit! :D

WTF do coaches know about teams that are NOT on their schedule? Gimme a break.

NHwildEcat
August 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Who the hell would give UMass a 1st place vote?

Dane96
August 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Wait...shhhh...Texas Terror thinks these complaints are NEC only based.....

More specifically to NHWildEcat-- you are completely correct. Anyone giving UMASS a first place vote should have their head examined. Forgetting that they have a new coach (one that wasnt an overly excitable choice) and replacing a ton of players, THEY HAVE NO CLEAR CUT QB...because no one has stood out for them. Maybe it turns out well at that position, but two weeks prior to starting the season is not the time to still be figuring out your QB situation.

mcveyrl
August 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM
i have no problem with this poll after it is a PRE-SEASON POLL! its look better than CSN or AGS poll at this point in the season- very little "homer" voting unlike the other polls. after last year poll, of not dropping cal-poly after a lost! because EVERYBODY knew WHO would have been given the upper seed and home games! after all montana can't win on the road is that right JMU!

I will try and deal with this incoherence. First of all, what?

I would think that a Montana fan would be super pissed about this poll. Look how many teams got first place votes and Montana didn't get one? That smells like conference homerism to me.

I agree with others that this is a worthless poll.

smallcollegefbfan
August 25th, 2009, 08:53 AM

I was about to say that I thought I posted this. Could the mods here post this type stuff in the news thing and stop moving threads? This is getting confusing. xconfusedx

thirdgendin
August 25th, 2009, 11:45 AM
The usual light turnout with only 28 voters. Why the "coaches" poll continues to carry any status is a mystery to me (actually no mystery, but lamentable nonetheless).xthumbsdownx

Looks like 100% participation to me: http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/FCS/polls/09polls/index_files/Page354.htm.

xcoffeex

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 12:00 PM
18. Massachusetts (1) ... 7-5 ... 196 ... NR
xlolx xlolx WTF is this??? xlolx xnutsx

grizzpaw
August 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM
xlolxmust of been a CAA member!

ASU_MBA
August 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM
xlolx xlolx WTF is this??? xlolx xnutsx

Someone's grad asst. A la the Steve Spurrier Tim Tebow incident.

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM
xlolxmust of been a CAA member!
Nah. My guess would be Albany or Stony Brook voter so they can say they played a #1 team. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Someone's grad asst. A la the Steve Spurrier Tim Tebow incident.
Doesn't Spurrier always vote for Duke #1 in the pre-season coaches poll?

ngineer
August 25th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Looks like 100% participation to me: http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/FCS/polls/09polls/index_files/Page354.htm.

xcoffeex

I guess that explains our one vote .... from Kevin Kelley...xlolx

fufanatic
August 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM
The level of abuse this poll takes on this messageboard is above and beyond ridiculous. To try and say it is any worse than the polls that are put out by this website and Sports Network is also outrageous.

Each conference has two votes so everyone is represented equally. That's not to say some of these coaches don't pick teams they see from year-to-year at the end of the poll before they would pick a team from across the country. But then again what poll doesn't show that bit of bias?

To go off of that, I will say with great confidence that for the most part these coaches in this poll vote for themselves. They also get weekly updates from the poll administrator updating them on scores from around the country. Just like the individuals in the AGS and Sportsnetwork poll the coaches can't see every game out there. And hell, this is FCS. It's not like you can just turn on any channel and watch games from around the country. Sometimes you just have to rely on scores and hope that all the votes balance out.

Let's be honest be here. The MEAC, SWAC, PFL and NEC are not the strongest conferences and until they start beating top teams on a regular basis, they are not going to get respect in this or any poll. They will continue to get those couple of votes here and there from their conference coaches. And does it really matter which teams from these conferences get those few votes? Can you really trash a coach from picking one team over another? Maybe they know something you don't.

The best approach is it to look at all polls with a grain of salt, especially in FCS.

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
The level of abuse this poll takes on this messageboard is above and beyond ridiculous. To try and say it is any worse than the polls that are put out by this website and Sports Network is also outrageous.
No other poll has a #1 vote for UMass. xpeacex

tribe_pride
August 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Doesn't Spurrier always vote for Duke #1 in the pre-season coaches poll?

No he votest them 25 so they get 1 vote.

89Hen
August 26th, 2009, 12:17 PM
No he votest them 25 so they get 1 vote.
Ahhh. Thanks for the clarification.