PDA

View Full Version : Sinisi heads up final group of Payton candidates

smallcollegefbfan
August 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4246293

CSN Log
August 4th, 2009, 06:10 PM
08-04-2009 06:05 PM

Sinisi heads up final group of Payton candidates

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Monmouth’s record-setting running back, David Sinisi, is one of four players who have been added to the 2009 Payton Award watch list, bestowed annually upon the top player in FCS.

Sinisi, a 2008 Payton Award candidate, set an NCAA FCS record with touchdowns in 22 straight games and rushed for 1,674 yards and 22 scores last season as a junior to earn Northeast Conference offensive player of the year honors.

Weber State running back Trevyn Smith, New Hampshire quarterback R.J. Toman and San Diego quarterback Sebastian Trujillo join Sinisi to complete the preseason watch list.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/08/04/sinisi-heads-up-final-group-of-payton-ca?blog=2#more5282)

Dane96
August 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Not bad for the limited scholly NEC-- our top two runners are on the list!

rmutv
August 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Not bad for the limited scholly NEC-- our top two runners are on the list!

And a third, Myles Russ, could join them in the October/November revisions.

smallcollegefbfan
August 5th, 2009, 12:37 AM

I don't see a player who might make 2nd team All-NEC making the list. He would probably have to pass one of the two currently on the list. If it did happen it would be a first in a long time, if ever, but I would like to see 3 backs from the NEC with the numbers to get on and see what happens. Always interesting to see what precedent is set with things like that.

danefan
August 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mallory from CCSU is back for another year, and as such is definitely the #3 back in the NEC. The guy had numbers comparable to others already on the Payton list.

288 carries for 1520yds and 15 td's last year. That's a 5.28 yd/carry avg and 138.18 yds per game.

Russ needs to get his TD numbers up big before he'll get any love.

Look at last year - McCarty had 1852 rushing yards for a 5.19 per carry avg and 154.33 yds per game plus another 356 receiving yards. He didn't make the list at all last year, despite having the most All-purpose rushing yards who didn't return kicks. That was most likely because he only had 13 rushing TD's.

I can't see a 3rd NEC RB on the list. Its a run heavy league so the numbers will be there, but the fact of the matter is, there are a lot of good RB's in FCS this year outside of the NEC. McCarty and Sinisi are a step above the rest of the NEC RB's and that's why the are included on this list.